Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Up the East Coast Caravan/Rally 2009

Since I'm someone that likes to start my planning early, get ideas and input from others, I'm looking for a little feed back. So, here's my thought that I'd like to ideas or better yet, help with.

I'm currently in the planning stages of a "Caravan/Rally" for 2009. The idea is this:

We would start with a rally in the Virginia area, maybe say, Harpers Ferry, WV or Front Royal, VA. The rally would run from Thurs/Friday-Sunday. On Sunday, the group would start caravaning up the east coast taking all the old back roads over a 5/6 day period up through WV, MD, PA, CT, MA, NY, to the NH-Maine area. We would then end the caravan in the NH-Maine area with a rally running Thurs/Friday-Sunday. For a total of an 10/11 day caravan/rally. My thought, there will be some that could rally at either end, some maybe just the caravan, some the whole thing, etc....

I'd like to have fun stuff at either end for people/families to do (on the south end, Skyline Drive, Washington DC, tubing, caverens, etc..), places people could stop at along the way each day to enjoy, then stuff up north as well.

My thinking is also make it like I did the 2007 Wagon Wheels Caravan to International. Give the people a long list of things they can see and do, they pick what they want and make it more about the trip than just getting from one end to the other. I found on the 2007 caravan, on somedays, people hung together, other days, went out on their own and enjoyed their time by themselves.

So, what do you think of the idea?

Does anyone know a "real" good route?(I was thinking RT. 11 north, then up and over to through PA, NY, CT/MA NH)

Things along the way to see for the young and old?

A good/fun place to rally up north? (Maybe Portsmouth, NH)

Also, I'd like to make this a WBCCI-VAC event, that is open to "EVERYONE" that wants to have fun WBCCI-VAC-Forums-New-Old, I don't care!

Region 2 VAC Guy

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska

I think that sounds like a great trip! I just came back from a trip from NH to FL via PA, VA, GA. And back. The Argosy couldn't come this time (not done, snowed in, etc, etc, ) so we took tents. We spent 2 days around Charlottesville VA and did the Northern Part of Skyline Drive. We also spent a day at Monticello. It was beautiful and I'd love to go out that way and do it again. This time I'll be sure to have the Argosy with me. I picked up lots of books about the areas we went through so I'll see if there's anything that may be of interest to you in them. What time of year are you thinking of?
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote