Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Unit Presidents Appreciation Dinner Dress Code

are there any other Unit Presidents that may not go to the Appreciation Dinner because of the Dress Code?
I had planned on wearing nice khaki's, nice polo and blazer. But then find out a DARK SUIT IS REQUIRED. Is this to attend the funeral of the WBCCI
We have not made up our minds yet to wear the above clothes, or simply not go. Then we'll be faced with the same situation next year when my partner Bob is president.
This is an RV camping club, it is JUNE in GEORGIA........
Thoughts?
Perhaps if enough of us wore business casual attire, someone would get the message?
Dan Dureik
President, Cape Cod Mass. Unit
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It is a nice dinner and in the old days the club paid the bill. Now you have to pay for your own dinner and it is the usual banquet affair. You used to have to take your oposite sex spouse to it but that has been changed when a single grandpa had to fight to take his teenage grandson.

I am not a very formal person but do own a few 3 piece suits from my business days. I do not mind having to wear a short sleeve dress shirt and Airtream tie for conducting formal buiness meetings but I am not one for suits during a camping club dinner. I always thought the long dresses some women wear for the President's ball after the installation was out of place for a camping club. Long reception lines and formal attire made it seem like the Captian's ball on a old fashion ocean cruise. We usually go over to the kids dance held on the same night. It is not formal and more fun. I was looking at some of the old days when Wally ran the show and indeed the women were dressed formally and even on the African caravan had dresses and high heel shoes in alot of the photos.

If we go to the Presidents affair, we wear casual and skip the reception line but pick up our free cookies and virgin punch.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Mr Unit President. We're glad to have you with us. Please plan to stay with us a while and become aware of how Airstreamers feel about various issues, including WBCCI. If more of the WBCCI hierarchy were on the Forums regularly, they might be able to pry their heads out of the sand and see what's really going on in the Club. I know that WBCCI has its own forum; too bad that it's so lame and useless.

As to your concern about wearing a dark suit to the WBCCI dinner, I agree that business casual is more than appropriate for an RV club event. This is another indication that the WBCCI leadership is out of touch with reality. I have an Airstream to go on camping adventures, not to go to events that require a business suit or evening gown. As far as I'm concerned, having a dark business suit in an Airstream is like installing a screen door in a nuclear submarine.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko
are there any other Unit Presidents that may not go to the Appreciation Dinner because of the Dress Code?
I had planned on wearing nice khaki's, nice polo and blazer. But then find out a DARK SUIT IS REQUIRED. Is this to attend the funeral of the WBCCI
We have not made up our minds yet to wear the above clothes, or simply not go. Then we'll be faced with the same situation next year when my partner Bob is president.
This is an RV camping club, it is JUNE in GEORGIA........
Thoughts?
Perhaps if enough of us wore business casual attire, someone would get the message?
Dan Dureik
President, Cape Cod Mass. Unit
Hi Dan,

Nice to see you on the forums.

I think if I was in your shoes I'd attend and would wear khaki's, a polo shirt and blazer. You will be the most comfortable person there and a little passive resistance to the old ways of our club is not a bad thing (at least not in my book).

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
But if he does, then isn't it almost predictable, based on several WBCCI Rally reports, that someone, or several, will come up to him, shaking fingers and scolding that he does not meet the rules, that he'll just have to leave, change clothes, and return if he hopes to have dinner with WBCCI. What are the chances?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Wear the khaki's. show them there is an option. The suit is left over from 50 years ago. Times have changed. it is time they change thier clothes too.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
my responce. Get a CLUE! Look at yourselves. You are the reason the WBCCI is loosing members not me. I am the new WBCCI. The organization must change or it will die.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome Dan!

Dan-

I'm sure many of us at least chuckled reading your message... There are a number of threads here about issues with WBCCI protocol and practices...

I think the dark suit dinner thing in Georgia in July at a camping event is pretty symptomatic of some of the disconnect between officers and members and non-members...

I don't mean to be critical of fraternal organizations or the military, but the senior leadership of WBCCI seems to have become imbued with the hierarchical and ceremonial behaviors common to retired military or mature fraternal organizations... The flags, parliamentarian, layers of officers and rules, coupled with rigid adherence to traditional rally and caravan "rules" have been a turn-off for some. It is obvious, as well, that many long term members find this consistency and repeat socializing with shrinking circle of friends they've grown comfortable with to be just fine... Units like yours and New England and WDCU and Four Corners are trying to lead change, but not without some resistance..

I have read in fashion circles that a middle aged man today may go essentially anywhere with a Hawaiian shirt, khaki's and loafers... I find this enormously comforting... I'd suggest you consider trying it for the dinner, though I fear the outcome will not be pleasant.. Good luck!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko
It sounds like you are already considering wearing business casual but are looking for other unit pres' to join you. Saftey in numbers! That would give you a bigger "dam" to hold back the chastizing that others seem to think might happen.

The $20 question is, are there any other unit presidents on our forums who want to join Dan in business casual?
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Calling all Unit Presidents

Dan,

Not to hijack this thread, but I doubt if there are very many unit presidents on this forum or any other email list. This is another example of the need for a unit presidents forum which Paul Waddell suggested some time ago. Otherwise you need to email,phone or snail mail them for their input.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
_

. , .
barking dogs....

this written dress code is already largely ignored.

folks can and do go to the apprciation dinner dressed as they want.

YES the writing needs to be changed.

and as a unit pres YOU can volunteer to change the written code...

have you offered to do so?

with most things wbc related,

i favor throwing OUT the baby WITH his bath water

but the starter post is much adu about garments.

the club is going down, while folks wring their hands about mohos and blazers...

black eye patch and do-rag SHOULD be required!

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	do_rag.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	36070  
Attached Images

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
But if he does, then isn't it almost predictable, based on several WBCCI Rally reports, that someone, or several, will come up to him, shaking fingers and scolding that he does not meet the rules, that he'll just have to leave, change clothes, and return if he hopes to have dinner with WBCCI. What are the chances?
Maybe, but it is going to be a dinner made up of mostly Unit Presidents. I'm not convinced they are as concerned about following the "rules" as much as some of the folks in higher up positions. At least in Region 1 most of the Unit Presidents are "next generation" WBCCI members, not old school.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Business casual is the way to go. Great changes are made by many little ones. One day through your heroic efforts of today we will be able to wear our Hawiian shirts to these type of events.

Did I just hear a gasp from the IBT offices?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've been giving this matter more thought and have come to the realization that it's pretty stupid for an RV camping club to even have a dress code.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Been there done that

I was a unit president and did go to the appreacition dinner. Yes I wore the dark suit as requested but my wife did not wear an evening gown she wore dress pants. What upset me more than the dress code was that the dinner took place before the Rally started. We are still working and could not take off for the entire rally. the Rally was in Lansing and we live in Metro Detroit so we drove up for the evening and then back home. Returning on the weekend to attend the rally.

Some of you are correct that the WBCCI takes some things to seriously but on the other hand it also set us apart form the others. As pointed out earlier in this thread, on the Capetown to Cario caravan they dressed to meet the King at one of there stops. Heck as I recall some ladies were even wearing those long gloves.

We were one of the youngest couples at our dinner, and met a lot of interesting folks. At each table there was a past International president, I do not recall our past IP's name but at his internationl there were over 5,000 units, I have a hard time getting a unit rally orginized for 10 or 20 units just imanagine what it took to handle 5,000.

I also participated in the opening Flag cermamony, to many of us that is another peice of formal protacal that we could do without, but to me it was impressive, think of the guests that think we are just a camping club, then see how we represent the entire nation and that we have a presenace in every state and reigon of this great country.

Yes thing must change and hopefully they will , but lets hold on to our tradation it is one of the things that set us apart from the rest
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Wish I could be there!

Dan,

I wish I could be there, but I'm co-hosting a caravan down and we don't get there until Monday. It maybe better that I'm not ayway. I'd be showing up in shorts, polo-shirt and croc's. But I would make sure they were clean! I would dress as you planned, if you get a bunch of crap, just tell them you are a part-time "fashion model" and you were asked to show the "new dress" of the WBCCI.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Bill Schafer did set up a leadership forum over on the WBCCI website but it does not seem well utilized yet. Forums are still pretty slow for conducting social interaction but people do not care for chat rooms that much and most of those out there are a waste of time. I was hoping there would be more questions posed on the WBCCI leadership forum but it has not happened. Maybe this is a topic that should move there.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
What about the funny hat?

Hey Paul,

You didn't include the funny hat in your outfit!

Dick

PS Was good meeting you this past weekend.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Wow, thanks for the responses people.
I am only 45, and take alot for granted in the Club, as I grew up in it. I just don't notice the blue beret's and the opening cerimonies, teen queen pagents, etc etc. as it's just always been there, so I guess I was totally used to it.
It seems to me from reading various posts about new units forming that the club is morphing, despite the higher ups?
hopefully it's not too late.
and yes, we wil go as planned I was just checking as I've always been the type to follow the rules........must be that 12 years of Catholic School !!! )
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Dan, it's not so much the dark suit, that I won't
carry when camping, I found it insulting that they
tell you what to wear. Like we are in public school.
Then you have to show up 3 days early and park in
segregated parking. Then if you can't be there early
in your dark suit they sell your appreciation gift.
I personally will never be at another International
rally and really don't care if the whole club
collapses. Then we can start up a proper club.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote