Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Been there done that

I was a unit president and did go to the appreacition dinner. Yes I wore the dark suit as requested but my wife did not wear an evening gown she wore dress pants. What upset me more than the dress code was that the dinner took place before the Rally started. We are still working and could not take off for the entire rally. the Rally was in Lansing and we live in Metro Detroit so we drove up for the evening and then back home. Returning on the weekend to attend the rally.

Some of you are correct that the WBCCI takes some things to seriously but on the other hand it also set us apart form the others. As pointed out earlier in this thread, on the Capetown to Cario caravan they dressed to meet the King at one of there stops. Heck as I recall some ladies were even wearing those long gloves.

We were one of the youngest couples at our dinner, and met a lot of interesting folks. At each table there was a past International president, I do not recall our past IP's name but at his internationl there were over 5,000 units, I have a hard time getting a unit rally orginized for 10 or 20 units just imanagine what it took to handle 5,000.

I also participated in the opening Flag cermamony, to many of us that is another peice of formal protacal that we could do without, but to me it was impressive, think of the guests that think we are just a camping club, then see how we represent the entire nation and that we have a presenace in every state and reigon of this great country.

Yes thing must change and hopefully they will , but lets hold on to our tradation it is one of the things that set us apart from the rest

ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Wish I could be there!

I wish I could be there, but I'm co-hosting a caravan down and we don't get there until Monday. It maybe better that I'm not ayway. I'd be showing up in shorts, polo-shirt and croc's. But I would make sure they were clean! I would dress as you planned, if you get a bunch of crap, just tell them you are a part-time "fashion model" and you were asked to show the "new dress" of the WBCCI.

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Bill Schafer did set up a leadership forum over on the WBCCI website but it does not seem well utilized yet. Forums are still pretty slow for conducting social interaction but people do not care for chat rooms that much and most of those out there are a waste of time. I was hoping there would be more questions posed on the WBCCI leadership forum but it has not happened. Maybe this is a topic that should move there.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
What about the funny hat?

Hey Paul,

You didn't include the funny hat in your outfit!

PS Was good meeting you this past weekend.
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Wow, thanks for the responses people.
I am only 45, and take alot for granted in the Club, as I grew up in it. I just don't notice the blue beret's and the opening cerimonies, teen queen pagents, etc etc. as it's just always been there, so I guess I was totally used to it.
It seems to me from reading various posts about new units forming that the club is morphing, despite the higher ups?
hopefully it's not too late.
and yes, we wil go as planned I was just checking as I've always been the type to follow the rules........must be that 12 years of Catholic School !!! )
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Dan, it's not so much the dark suit, that I won't
carry when camping, I found it insulting that they
tell you what to wear. Like we are in public school.
Then you have to show up 3 days early and park in
segregated parking. Then if you can't be there early
in your dark suit they sell your appreciation gift.
I personally will never be at another International
rally and really don't care if the whole club
collapses. Then we can start up a proper club.
Doug & Terry
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
56 Flying Cloud
68 Tradewind
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Shacksman bring up a good point. There has been some talk on the back burners of trying to form a new "Airstream Only" club if this motorhome issue passes. I had someone ask me again about it today from another unit. Time will tell. I'm not sure if I lead the charge, but I'll be reloading the cannons. If we yell loud enough, I hope the IBT will hear the fact that many are about to leave the club or not join because of things likethis very thread.
Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #22
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Oh, boy, I'd have a tough time with this one! Back when I became a prof, I had to "train" the old crowd on dress: Dr. Lynn wears Levis 501s, period. (Granted, they were newer ones and clean.) Same story when I joined the grad school: The new associate dean wears Levis 501s.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
Well, we sort of aquiessed to the dress code. I dug my "funeral" suit out of the closet, and Bob grabbed a dark suit today at the Mall.
We were torn, of being rebels for change, and respecting the, if we see anyone in business casual we will MAKE A POINT to complement them. And next year we'll perhaps do things different.
As we have had problems at my airline with dress codes for deadheading, you give people an inch and they take a mile. You say Business Casual and they show up in a T-Shirt and not that great shorts and sneakers. So we understand trying to keep things decent. Plus, although I agree with change, I think we should keep a couple of things formal/uniform to differentiate our club from Good Sam, etc.....just one event/dinner/inauguration where we wear the regailia, ie Blue Beret, WBCCI Tie etc....I think just once a year shows respect, and keeps a little bit of the tradition with us.........
Dan Dureiko
President, Cape Cod Mass. Unit.
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Uniform Suggestion

I agree with another's statement on this issue, “Suits and camping don’t mix.” Thinking ahead to next year, I heard the International is in Montana. If I were a unit officer, I wouldn’t want to haul formal attire, taking precious space in my wardrobe, all the way to Montana from Florida for one night.

My suggestion is that the WBCCI come up with a nice team shirt (collared, knit, golf shirt, with logo), and let that and khaki slacks be the uniform for these events. Most corporations are going that way today. That’s something you would feel comfortable wearing to any local restaurant, and wouldn’t that be a cool way to show off the club.

I don’t understand the blue berets yet, but I’m willing to hear why that might be important to continue.

Randy and Pat Godfrey
Region 3 2nd VP, Newsletter Editor, Florida Unit
WBCCI# 7591 - AIR# 17017
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #25
Head Animal Wrangler
2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Dress codes are an antiquated idea. As previously mentioned, most businesses don't even do that anymore. The important thing is that people show up. It shouldn't matter what they wear. Especially when camping.

If people choose to wear berets for nostalgic reasons, fine, but it should be optional. Let everyone do what feels right for themselves and not judge other people.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote