Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Maybe I'll be accepted sooner than I thought.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 AM   #86
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
WBCCI Leadership.......

Well I find it easy to believe the dress code mandate. This was our first international rally and we were invited by our caravan leader to attend the caravan awards banquet where all the caravan leaders receive their placques and a special gift of a WBCCI Perry Hat from Don Shaefer. Well we dressed as everyone in Perry was dressed - shorts and tee shirts (as was Belize Dave - another member of our Bakersfield to Perry Caravan). It was funny how some were very welcoming and social - those at our table were great, as was Bob Bennett. But you could feel the glares of some in their Blue and Green Blazers - we even had Don Shaefer stop by our table - didn't introduce himself and no one else introduced him to us - I am sure he noticed our attire and our First Timer badges but moved quickly to a properly dressed table and converse with them.
Linda said the comments that she heard in the ladies room after the session were quite interesting - basically - do you believe they came dressed like that, I can't believe it, bla,bla, bla,.....
So, you can see, it is easy for me to believe this mandate is real. As for us and our future with the WBCCI- I have agreed to run as our club's second VP and see what we can do to help change things for the better - PLEASE HANG IN AND FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT to get the club back on the right path - a camping club that is dynamic, growing and most of all FUN!

Mac and Linda

Here is a picture of our caravan leader Larry Larson receiving his plaque at the ceremony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03142 (Large).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	45425  

WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
Oddly enough I received in the mail today a complimentary copy of the Blue Beret as I just purchased my first AS. Interesting way of meeting people whose commonality is a love of travel, the outdoors through the use of one company's trailers. I actually thought about joining the WBCCI and maybe attending Bozeman--I mean who doesn't like Montana in the summer and then I log onto the WBCCI's website and lo and behold, White Tuxs? Please. Who is this guy anyway? Does he have a Medal of Honor? Did he develop a cure for some rare disease? Is he in the NFL hall of fame? I wear a suit and tie or a sport coat and tie every day of a long working life and I'll be darned if some pompous egomaniac with delusions of grandeur is going to dictate how I dress when I participate in a hobby. This really sours me. Its not acceptable behavior for a member who is no better than me or anyone else to dictate that you can be a member but if you want to participate in this one activity that is open to all you have to dress a certain way. I am not unreasonable and I would have worn a coat and tie as a matter of course but not if I'm ordered to do so. Would you go to a birthday party where the honoree dictates what his present will be? I bought an AS trailer because I have admired them ever since I was a kid and I expected a lot and have been very pleasantly suprised. As my daughter would say--Yea, Go Me. However as much as I would like to participate in WBCCI but I will not support elitism. If its so important to Mr. Bigshot for everyone to wear a white tux--maybe he should pick-up the tab. Far as I'm concerned all a club can ask is that you pay your dues, act civilized and in this case have an airstream.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #88
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Wait - did I miss something??? Doesn't Jerry have to get elected as International president before he can mandate this??? What happens if he doesn't get elected?
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #89
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Read my sig!

Vote new people in.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #90
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
[QUOTE]
Quote:
As a WBCCI member of less than a month, I almost do not know what to say... I went to bed last night and had to contemplate how to express myself... It is now 4 am. My sleep has been interrupted by the thoughts RAGING THROUGH MY HEAD!
You people are making a joke of this... do you all realize that. I can say you, because I just joined, I haven't had a vote yet. Those people who didn't vote or are not even members of the WBCCI should keep their mouths shut... you really have nothing to say now, for you have said nothing in the past. This club is falling apart fast. The club is full of discourse and the wheels are coming off the trailer. It's real easy to stand by and throw out a bunch of jokes about wearing stupid looking tuxedos, but that will not change anyones attitude. It will only lead to more discourse.
I would like to paraphrase an interview I heard with Wally... "We function by majority rule... we take a vote... the majority wins and the minority, always follows the vote." If you don't want to support the formality in BoZeman, don't go. If you want to send a message to the guy with the grand plan, go to the rally, do your thing, enjoy the fellowship, see the sites and just boycott the inauguration ceremony. Not attending shows a much higher ground than making a joke of it. Next time use your power of vote to get the right people in office. If something radical doesn't happen soon, there simply will no longer be a club to bitch about. In the long run that might be the best thing that could ever happen. The vintage people can go off and have their club, the Argosy people can have their club, the motor-home folks can have their thing... and we all can be happy again.
I will be going to BoZeman this summer. It is a huge deal to me. I will go and have a great time... I will wear Birkenstocks and shorts almost the whole time. The most formal thing in my attire will be a shirt without paint or glue on it. I will not even have a button down with me... a belt might be too formal for my attire. And you know what? If someone objects, well vote me out. That is exactly what I plan to do to our soon to be new President. Actions speak loader than words and it is time for all of us to get into action. This of course is my opinion and opinions are like #$!@! holes, everyone has one.
I know where you're coming from but, having just went thru the motorhome debacle and name change issue, everyone just needs a good laugh. And what's funnier than someone wearing a pompous white tuxedo and evening gown in a camp setting. I too plan to be in Bozeman and have a great time and, contrary to that suggested in my earlier post on this thread, I do plan to actively continue recruiting new members. Positive change will come from within, and I sense we have people in the club that care just as much about it as you and I.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #91
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Perhaps we need to organize our own celebration with all due pomp & circumstance.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #92
Certifiable

. , .
Let them eat cake!

62overlander et al,

I'm sorry you didn't get much sleep last night. I know where you're coming from and appreciate your enthusiasm. We need more members like you to help get us through this period of turmoil. I'd guess that at one time or another most of the posters to this thread have experienced similar sleepless nights.

And yes, I am guilty as charged. I AM "making a joke of this." Because if I didn't laugh about this situation I'd cry!

Mandating white tuxedos and floor length formal gowns? Mandating!?!

These jokes are my own little pressure release valve and I respectfully disagree with your assessment that they do not help in changing people's attitudes. Just look in the mirror. How do you feel? Others, of course, react totally differently. But at least now hopefully some of us are thinking. Hopefully I have helped to show the "majority" AND the minority through my (lame) humor that our self annointed emperors are NOT wearing any clothes of substance. That the Blue Beret does NOT accurately reflect the majority of the members of the WBCCI.

I feel at this point a little historical perspective is in order: In 1789 Versailles, home of my beloved Argosy, the wheels were falling off of Marie Antoinette's moho. It got to be so bad that the great-unwashed-trailer-trash-silent-majority marched on the symbol of authority during one of Marie's Internationals, the Bastille Prison, and seized control of Marie's Installation Dinner on July 14, 1789. Various Regional officers were lynched. When International President Louis XVI heard of it, he asked, "Is this a revolt?" to which he was told, "No, sire. It is a revolution."

As of this morning, I've never been so psyched to attend an International. IMO, this white tux/gown thing should make for one great party. I just might have to go now!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
As a WBCCI member of less than a month, I almost do not know what to say... I went to bed last night and had to contemplate how to express myself... It is now 4 am. My sleep has been interrupted by the thoughts RAGING THROUGH MY HEAD!
62overlander pleas tell me this is not true. I can’t imagine the WBCCI club itself is important enough to lose sleep over. I might lose sleep over the health of a member but not a camping club. If you must lose sleep spend the time mulling over something of greater importance.

The white Tux is over the top, but if it is his party let him enjoy it, I prefer flip flops, tee shirt, and Jimmy Buffett or some good blues. I am a member of WBCCI and have met many great people who don’t seem to care how I dress of what I say, but I have never listened to their comments in the bathroom.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #94

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I am still hoping it is just a bad joke. The WBCCI is such that there is no competition for prez, so the guy knows ahead that it is his turn coming up, he has been earning it, working his way up the ranks for years. If he wants tuxes, let him have tuxes.

I worked on our unit for three or four years. Now I'm voting with my checkbook - by quietly closing it and putting it away, and waiting another year to see what sillyness happens next. When they're ready to start acting like a camping club again, they'll get my money. Until then, all you can do is watch and laugh

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I am still hoping it is just a bad joke. The WBCCI is such that there is no competition for prez, so the guy knows ahead that it is his turn coming up, he has been earning it, working his way up the ranks for years. If he wants tuxes, let him have tuxes.

I worked on our unit for three or four years. Now I'm voting with my checkbook - by quietly closing it and putting it away, and waiting another year to see what sillyness happens next. When they're ready to start acting like a camping club again, they'll get my money. Until then, all you can do is watch and laugh
To Every Thing There is a Season - Ecclesiastes 3. 1-8

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Opinions are like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Those people who didn't vote or are not even members of the WBCCI should keep their mouths shut... you really have nothing to say now, for you have said nothing in the past.

I would have liked to vote, but as a Member at Large (MAL) I don't get to vote....yet

I would like to paraphrase an interview I heard with Wally... "We function by majority rule... we take a vote... the majority wins and the minority, always follows the vote."

And you are suggesting that this one man makes a majority?

This of course is my opinion and opinions are like #$!@! holes, everyone has one.

You got that one right
Just opinions
Old 09-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Stand Down!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ourclub.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	45443

The Vac is so much more laid back. Happy Hour at the tent is always casual but still nicely attired without a mandate.

Name:   vac tent.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  87.4 KB

However I heard rumours of a change to kilts.

Name:   arch_bagpiper.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  41.9 KB

Yes we are having fun. Hey weren't we told to, like a gazillion times? It's just camping and we are to have fun and not concern ourselves with politics. But those of us not "glamping" (glamour camping) and shopping for the appreciation dinner and inauguration clothes (except perhaps for hiking boots instead of high heels for our long trek to the buildings) need something to do before the rally. Of course if there were cool plans that the average member would benefit from I bet we would be all abuzz about that. Like it or not, there is a completely different culture in the ranks down under.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #98
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] In an email to those officers who will participate in this event Larson mandated dress WILL include men in white tuxedos and the ladies in floor length formal gowns.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]“This upcoming Installation Ceremony is one of the most significant events that I will have had the privilege of experiencing. Other events that I have dressed similarly for are High School and three college graduations, my children’s weddings and a visit to the White House Oval Office. So you see this is not just merely a passing event. It is VERY important to both Joan and I. Events like this have set the WBCCI apart from “just a camping club” or “just a recreational club”. Wally Byam set high standards several years ago for us to perpetuate and keep the WBCCI special from all the others.”
The first thought that comes to my mind after reading this is "Actung, mein furer!" (that's the best my German spelling gets...) Second is the fasion faux paux of wearing a beret with a formal tux/formal evening dress... hummm... now that's a vision of beauty, huh?

I always thought WBCCI WAS a camping club, a recreational club. Figured what set it apart from the SOB clubs was the fact that they're AIRSTREAMS. And an Airstream, well, is built for camping. And camping, well, is recreation...

Perhaps Mr. Larson and his wife are at a point in their lives and experience whereby rituals such as these are important to them. Some folks like to get all dressed up to go out and eat. Go to church. Go to the grocery store. Go to the theater. Different era, different mindset. To each his own.

It's obvious the event is important to him and his wife, so I guess I'd have to say then, if I'd choose to go, at least then I would know what the dress code is and would dress accordingly... perhaps what most of us seem to be feeling is that the tux/formal dress isn't optional (& appreciated) and it kind of changes what the collective thought WBCCI was all about. Inclusion and agreement with the things 'ol Mr. Byam said. Funny thing is though, I've seen and heard extremely well dressed individuals be complete morons and the average dressed individuals be quite profound.

The lesson here I guess, is it ain't in the packaging, it's the content that counts. I hope I can remember that throughout my days...

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote