Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #351
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
My Fellow Alumilovers,
I'll first admit that I am absoluteluy new to Airstream. But I'm not new to Horse----! Do these people expect to be taken seriously dressing like penguins? I was somewhat curious about possible WBCCI membership, but no longer! More power to 'em if they want to play dress-up in a CAMPING CLUB. They certainly don't need me or my dues for this sillyness. What am I missing here? Seems like somebody's wife wanted to relive the prom.

N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:38 AM   #352
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2XBW
I was somewhat curious about possible WBCCI membership, but no longer!... They certainly don't need me or my dues for this sillyness. What am I missing here?
Hi N2XBW,

What are you missing??? We DO need you! The guy (Ed) that started this thread, did so to "rally the troops" around getting involved in the organization and lead it into a future that will attract a new generation of Airstreamers. You sound like just the person we are looking for.

Please don't let any of these "tuxedo antics" dissuade you from joining and finding the folks at a chapter that is local to you. It's very likely that you will find folks that will welcome you into a fun experience that you can only have while sharing the camaraderie found in Aluminum.

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #353
Rivet Master

BRADENTON, On The Picturesque and Sunny West Coast of Florida, , USA, PLANET EARTH, MILKY WAY, LOCAL GROUP, SPIRALING SLOWLY THROUGH THE UNIVERSE
Question Yes, what am I missing?

Steve,
You've stated the point that there's a need for new blood in WBCCI. OK, I accept that my local chapter, wherever or whomever they may be here in far northern NY, needs me or at least my dues. All organizations need a steady supply of new blood to exist, and all organizations eventually die off when they outlive or lose sight of their original purpose for existance.

But Steve, your message mentions nothing that I'm actually missing by avoiding what appears to be charlie foxtrot night at the country club. If this is what it takes for the WBCCI troops to get rallied, it sounds like a pretty tired-out organization. If I'm going to spend time and money on a good time, it's gonna be MY good time. Am I wrong here? Talk to me, Steve, I'm willing to listen.
JOHN / N2XBW
N2XBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #354
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Steve,
You've stated the point that there's a need for new blood in WBCCI. OK, I accept that my local chapter, wherever or whomever they may be here in far northern NY, needs me or at least my dues. All organizations need a steady supply of new blood to exist, and all organizations eventually die off when they outlive or lose sight of their original purpose for existance.

But Steve, your message mentions nothing that I'm actually missing by avoiding what appears to be charlie foxtrot night at the country club. If this is what it takes for the WBCCI troops to get rallied, it sounds like a pretty tired-out organization. If I'm going to spend time and money on a good time, it's gonna be MY good time. Am I wrong here? Talk to me, Steve, I'm willing to listen.
JOHN / N2XBW
John,

There is some B.S. in every organization and the WBCCI is no different. What is different is that you in your Unit can have a ton of fun going places and meeting people and totally igonore the International until voting time. So once a year your Unit will decide how to vote on amendments and officers. After that your back to having fun.

The secret to getting the most out of the WBCCI is in choosing your Unit. Each one has its own personality and you'll need to go camping with the different ones. You'll find one that fits your style, humor etc.

Join us Unit folks at our campfires to find out what this Club is really about.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #355
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Steve,
But Steve, your message mentions nothing that I'm actually missing by avoiding what appears to be charlie foxtrot night at the country club.
John,

I'd be happy to fill you in. I do not live in NY, but I do know of a couple WBCCI guys in NY that are no "charlie foxtrots." You can hear them every other week on the the VAP.

What I am telling you is that the "real" WBCCI is a nearly endless number of local groups that get together for the purpose of enjoying and sharing the Airstream Life. If you are looking for friends that "have your back" and that are willing to share everything from their water hose to a delicious meal, the WBCCI is the right place.

Give it a try... search out folks that you like to spend time with... ask some of them for some help... or a place to courtesy park. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You may even like it so much that you'll run for Charlie Foxtrot's office and then you'll decide to wear whatever you want.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #356
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Foxtrot?

Heck I'm not sure what a foxtrot is but I know that in the 10 years I have been in the club I have never done that! (I think) The club is what you make of it, the cost of the dues is minimal considering it cost over $100 to fill my tow vehicle right now.

The rally cost are reasonable, the people you meet are great. There are a ton of benefits that you have by joining. Safe places to camp, meals with good people, great Happy hours, technical support, intra clubs including the VAC to help you, parking, big red numbers for the front and rear of your trailer, people who will come to your aid when needed.

The International Rally has classes, open houses, tours, safety, a whole bunch of Airstreams parked together ( and wait to you see that for the first time!) local people who want you in their town, lots of flags flying, caravan info, new Airstreams on display, old ones for sale, Airstream and other products (stuff) for sale, one of the best Flea Market for Airstreamers, youth activities and a bunch of other stuff that is FUN.

The "prom" is one event that I don't see the need for, at least in its current format. That is my beef, if you have not attended then you need to go and see it for yourself, then make your decision. Go in business casual, that way you won't feel out of place when attending. If you have not attended you need to to see this, the meet and great after the big dinner. Then after that come back to this tread and let us know what you think.

No one should hold off joining the WBCCI because of this thread, heck its just a couple of people pointing out what they see in need of fixing. There are a lot of good things that people miss by not joining and some things that are in need of repair but we need you to join to help us do that.

The WBCCI is a good place to be, its just in need of some adjustments.
Ed
Past President WI Unit
Past President Vintage Airstream Club
Old 01-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #357
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick

No one should hold off joining the WBCCI because of this thread, heck its just a couple of people pointing out what they see in need of fixing. There are a lot of good things that people miss by not joining and some things that are in need of repair but we need you to join to help us do that.

The WBCCI is a good place to be, its just in need of some adjustments.
Ed
Past President WI Unit
Past President Vintage Airstream Club

Yes join!

The adjustment we need is new blood, vote out the Ancients and lets seek new leadership that's in keeping with the 21st century.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #358
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
John, I think Ed et al, have said it right. What you are missing is why this thread was started. It was started because we all think the WBCCI is worth saving and it is in dire need of being saved from its leadership that is running the club. Unfortunately, it takes about 10-14 years to work your way up through the ranks to be a member of the "tux-club". There are tons of members that want to see a new regime, but it takes time for the old guard to be phased out. It takes new blood getting involved and working their way up to the top to see change affected. It's too bad that the way the system is set up you really just about have to be retired to be able to make the time commitment for any office in the club...that needs to change! As long as things remain the way they are, it will take forever for the new guard to come to office.

Also, the way the IBT comes to office, at least the way I understand it as a newbie to the club, almost makes individual votes irrelevant as the office gets closer to the top. That isn't right either and needs to change. The way votes are counted in different units are cast differently at the International Rally so sometimes votes for change are out numbered without the other votes being cast. There is a one member one vote movement afloat but that is still some time off.

Change is coming, it just takes time and it takes new blood like you and me and others to make a difference.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #359
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
C. F.

I bet I know what a Charlie Foxtrot is...LOL... We use the term on the air in Ham Radio...de KW8G
Old 01-15-2008, 01:03 PM   #360
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
This is exactly why we are letting our membership expire this year. Too many retired military and teachers running the club. They both have a hard time with reality.
Never mind, not even worth it.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #361
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Tee shirts mandated at Bozeman

Let's just all get along and wear what we want

I'm offering up an alternative to the same old-same old at the WBCCI International this year.

All sizes including SMALL to XXL

Fast flat rate shipping.

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #362
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Im getting one, cant wait to get it too, its so kick butt!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #363
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Very nice Tees Michael. Luke is still bragging about his one of a kind upside down shirt that only he can see the right way.

Take care.
Mossy

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #364
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Oh, thats too funny!

Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote