Well put Carol.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #282
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Thank you Carol. It is all the small things and the attitude of the IBT and some other A/S officers and members that have cemented our decision to drop the international dues at this time. Grace and I still have a fondness for the Detroit-Metro unit and will continue camping and having lunch with our friends. Hope to see you in the spring.

bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 AM   #283
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Well, I'm hesitant to enter this tempest in a teapot, or make a Johnny come lately post. However, since I've taken the time to read the entire thread I might as well weigh in.

The wearing of uniforms, whether it is a military uniform, or a corporate uniform is always about control. Mandating a dress code, in this case tuxedos, is the same thing. It is a statement about cohesion, decorum, and unity of purpose. And that is the only thing it has to do with tradition.

It is a presentation, to show that everyone is in step, marching to a common drummer, following the command of whoever is in charge. Wearing a uniform is a statement by the wearer of obedience, even if they do not agree with the mission.

All military organizations understand this. The first thing that happens to recruits is that they are stripped of their individuality. As in, there is no "I" in the word team. So, recruits have their distinctive civilian clothing taken from them, their hair style shorn from them, etc.

IBM used the same organizational philosophy for decades. The IBM business suit was mandatory for its employees - black jacket, matching creased black pants, black socks, white button shirt, black tie, black briefcase. They were the original men in black.

I suspect this is why some are so sensitive to the mandatory dress code. It isn't about tradition, or history per se, but it is about control and many members chaff at the slightest suggestion of it. Why shouldn't they?

We like to say that as Americans we are free, yet the shear weight of the number of laws and regulations that press down on us is oppressive. From the federal government to HOA regulations, there are rules everywhere.

A lot of Airstream owners hope to use their trailers as an escape. Hasn't that always been part of the sales pitch? Independent travels, the freedom to come and go or stay when you want whenever you want?

Then comes the stuffy WBCCI with its page after page of flag regulations, and dress codes.

Perhaps to many, formal wear represents everything oppressive and smothering - uniformity, conformity, obedience to authority. All of it is serious dreadful stuff that is contrary to having fun and breathing freely.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #284
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up ". . . a uniform is always about control"

Forrest,

Very well put.

And something the WBCCI needs to think about when trying to increase member retention.

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Old 11-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #285
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Forrest, very well put. My question is, who really wants all these rules and dress codes while camping?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #286

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest

Perhaps to many, formal wear represents everything oppressive and smothering - uniformity, conformity, obedience to authority. All of it is serious dreadful stuff that is contrary to having fun and breathing freely.
Forrest, I term this as "organizational creep". Something that occurs as the organization gets larger and larger and the bureaucracy gets larger to deal with the running of the larger entity.

I talked to a long time member of my former unit regarding my concerns on the path the local unit was taking and its lack of informality. He said Jack, it used to be a lot less formal.....we sort of evolved this way.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #287
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
IBM used the same organizational philosophy for decades. The IBM business suit was mandatory for its employees - black jacket, matching creased black pants, black socks, white button shirt, black tie, black briefcase. They were the original men in black.
i always knew IBM'ers as blue suits, white shirts, and red ties
Old 11-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #288
Hawkeyes & Harleys

2006 16' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
In the words of an old AF (Retarded) Officer, White Mess Dress - "YGTBSM". For those of you who are not tuned in "Y=you, G=got, T=to, B=be, S=poop(ing), M=me!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #289
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I quit! I will no longer deal with any of this. It is all a joke, the WBCCI can crash and burn on its own.

Good ridance to the caravan club!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:20 PM   #290
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
I quit! I will no longer deal with any of this. It is all a joke, the WBCCI can crash and burn on its own.

Good ridance to the caravan club!!
Tedd,

Don't quit now! ...the WBCCI is just getting good... because I'm now a member.

Really... there are a lot of good folks raring to shake things up ...including the guy that started this thread.

I think we Vintage guys (and gals) are the next generation of the WBCCI. As we resurrect our old trailers and the fun of caravanning ...we are resurrecting the spirit of Wally. That spirit is what created the Airstream lifestyle and it's the only thing that will bring it back.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #291
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Tedd,

Don't quit now! ...the WBCCI is just getting good... because I'm now a member.

Really... there are a lot of good folks raring to shake things up ...including the guy that started this thread.

I think we Vintage guys (and gals) are the next generation of the WBCCI. As we resurrect our old trailers and the fun of caravanning ...we are resurrecting the spirit of Wally. That spirit is what created the Airstream lifestyle and it's the only thing that will bring it back.
I certainly agree with you but will add there are some that fall through the cracks of the old WBCCI and the IBT and the VAC, there are new members with new Airstreams. I have not gotten a good fix on just where I fit in. So far I have not renewed for this year which would be my fifth.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I certainly agree with you but... there are new members with new Airstreams.
Some of my best friends own new Airstreams!

Folks can certainly have just as much fun with a new A/S as a Vintage one. And as long as fun is what they are looking for, their welcome to park next to me!

What I'm saying is, New or Old... hang out with the Vintage folks and you won't want to quit the WBCCI.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #293
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Unhappy Please stay. . . don't go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I have not gotten a good fix on just where I fit in. So far I have not renewed for this year which would be my fifth.
Carol,

Hope you will decide to give WBCCI a chance for another year. You're just the kind of person we need to retain in the old Caravan Club!

See you down the road,
Nuvi
Old 11-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #294
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Don't Quit Now

TILL:

I'm with you on many things - I'm not for the formal wear, Lawrence Welk music, formality, etc. and most of the things the IBT have been doing.

However, I have come to the conclusion that it is only the local level that matters (other than the dues supporting the IBT). I will probably only attend one International rally (my first) over the next five years.

The Northern Illinois Unit is looking to change. The President, 1st Vice President and 2nd Vice President for 2008 are all in their fifties and will bring new ideas such as rallies in state parks, private campgrounds, etc. I have also sense a "hunger" among many of the long time members for change. I believe that the WBCCI will not change from the top down but from the bottom up.

We want the local unit to provide activities to cover a broad age spectrum and not just the retirement member. We are looking at the NEU as example of how a unit can be fun. We believe that the April rally and end of October rally should be in Amboy due weather issues. However other rallies shoudl be in fun places and done similar to forum rallies. The officers listed above attended the 2006 Moraine View rally and loved it. (Couldn't attend the 2007 due to a conflict with children's activites.)

Stay in the unit being an agent for change.

Everything can't be changed overnight; it takes one step at a time. Stay in the unit and help us improve the unit.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is online now   Reply With Quote