Old 10-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #253
1 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
When the International President sets the dress code the incoming Region Presidents do not have a choice. I have spent 4 years as 2nd vice and 1st vice and if I want to be Region President my wife snd I have to dress as he says, even though I don't agree with it.

Bob Moyers
1st Vice Region 5

Old 10-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #254
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblee5244
When the International President sets the dress code the incoming Region Presidents do not have a choice. I have spent 4 years as 2nd vice and 1st vice and if I want to be Region President my wife snd I have to dress as he says, even though I don't agree with it.

Bob Moyers
1st Vice Region 5
Bob,

Thanks for your post, it is good to hear from the leadership now and again. Perhaps you can answer my question as to the date for the installation dinner?

Bill

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #255
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
the Lawrence Welk waltz extravaganza.
Great post
Attached Images

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #256
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Nice post Leo. I couldn't have said it any better and it is exactly the root of the problem. I enjoy our Detroit-Metro group but, State, Regional and International rallys leave me feeling nauseated.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #257
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I haven't read this until now, but the WDCU had some fun with it during our Installation Rally over the weekend.

As for those who plan rallies with formal or semi-formal attire - please make sure that people who may be interested in attending are aware of this. That way I know to avoid the rally. Thanks.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #258
Rivet Master

RJ,

GREAT PICS!!!!! As always, the WDCU trys to be forward thinking and support the "Leadership" of the WBCCI in the "best way" the WDCU can. When the oldest member (74yrs old) of our unit came up with the idea to fully support the IBT with the wearing of "White Tux" at our install rally, we knew we would truly be on the leading edge of support for the IBT. We can only hope that other units within the WBCCI will also support the "IBT" and the wearing of "White Tux" at their camping rallies as well. I will say, wearing a "White Tux" while eating/picking crabs was a little messy(don't think I'll be wearing that jacket ever again). Though the idea was not mine, I felt I should fully support the members of our unit with the idea. It is not up to me to say what the members can and cannot do.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:56 AM   #259
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
I have been home recovering from surgery and I must say this thread has taken me from anger to hysterical comic relief. I wonder if we as the membership can jump on board the WDCU’s fun format and encourage ALL our membership attending rallies on that particular weekend and dress in formal duds in quiet/riot LOL laugher in support of the IBT.

I will be running a rally near that time and I'm certainly willing to organize a "formal" affair and then send my photos along with a letter to the top as a formal grievance. Pardon me Jerry but didn't you read the 2004 survey?????? Less ceremony, less ceremony, less ceremony. Memberships desires falling on deaf ears again.

Oh, glad to hear from the Region Presidents. I would like to see these people represent their membership's desires in protest. You do pick your battles in leadership roles but the membership has spoken. Region Officers should NOT be supportive of an idea the membership is not happy with. There is no shame in that.

Perhaps the way to approach this is for us as the members in our clubs to vote yeah or nay on tux's . We then send a our delegate to Bozeman WIth our letters and desires. The key maybe to support our Region Presidents in NOT feeling they need to bow to this mandate at the expensive of the memberships desires. This has great potential as a grass roots protest I would certainly get on board with.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #260
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I understand the idea that a "grass roots protest" has to start some where and with something, but I said it once and I'll say it again, you can't expect the IBT to respect the membership body if the membership body shows blatant disrespect for the IBT.

Yes, you have to pick your battles, but I think this is one that you should leave alone and pick another, like say, the name change or SOB motor home issues in the past. Those should have got through to the IBT that the majority of the members don't want to change the essence of the club...that it is an Airstream club dedicated to Wally Byam.

Now getting the IBT to get rid of the pomp and circumstance of the club needs to be done without confrontation and if everybody shows up in Bozeman wearing tux-tee shirts, that is going to close more minds than open them. Perhaps a better way to reach the IBT would be to wear a business casual attire (blazer/slacks/open collar shirt combo or just slacks and open collar shirt would be nice/ladies wearing slacks and blouse, etc.) and attend the reception that follows the installation ceremony and calmly speak to each member of the IBT and let them know that the majority of the club wants to forgo the rituals and ceremonies that make new members feel that the club is too stuffy for them. But don't do it by butting heads with them. You do have to remember though, there are a lot of long term members left that are comfortable with the formality of the club and still cherish that. There needs to be a smooth transition over time to segway into a more relaxed club and not make those that have been members for 20 or 30 years feel that they have been tossed aside and abandoned by the club that their dues have supported for so long.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #261
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Agree with taste and less confrontation. Also recognize the need to pic battles, but when someone blatently (can't spell worth a darn dyslexic) ingores the voices, and this has been the rule of thumb for the past 7-8 years I have been a member, it's time to change.

Who's club is this? We seem to be in this tug Membership's or a small body of individuals? What are we as members to make of this. We were asked, we spoke up, we volunteered, we supported (Liason Committee Member) and yet the beat goes on......

I will double check my numbers BUT for the record, the 2004 survey was filled out and primarily by older members if I recall correctly. So it again does not seem to be about age, but about attitude. I always found the older generation to be the most charming of folk. They don't want it either!

I'll get back to you if my numbers are wrong but I don't think so as I live in a world of probability & statistics. I re-worked some of the data as I was Unit President during the time that body of work was completed and as I have already said it was a poorly designed tool in some respects but still had tremendous value if you are familiar with statisics.

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 PM   #262
Rivet Master

Lets talk "Respect"

Lets talk “respect”. I think we all “respect” the members of the WBCCI that have been part of the club for so many years. We may not “agree” with how some have been and are currently running the club. But out of “respect” most if not every member, every year, puts on the “uniform” for the opening ceremonies, the delegates meeting, Unit Presidents dinner and the list goes on and on. This is not only at the “IBT” level, but also at the “Region” level as well. The same type of flag ceremonies at the “Region” level, having all the units in that Region parade in full dress “uniform” and also during the “biz’ meeting at the Region level. Now lets go to the “Unit” level. I’m sure many of us have been to “Installation Rallies” for the Unit officers were the dress is once again, “full uniform”. Granted, there are some “Units” that don’t adhere to this “policy”, but many do.

So, time and time again “most” of the members out of “respect” dressed up in the “official uniform” even though they don’t want to, think that it’s not needed and don’t understand why they are doing it in the first place, again, do it out of “RESPECT”.

Now, lets take the “fact” that most of the members don’t want to do it and have said so to everyone they meet, say so on every survey and have ask so many times the “policy” be change they are blue in the face, but it’s still “REQUIRED”.

One would think, out of “Respect” a letter would be sent down from the “President” of the WBCCI saying the following.

“I understand as President of the WBCCI that many of the newer and younger members of the WBCCI do not like or agree with the more “traditional” dress codes of the WBCCI. With that said, at this time, we are “relaxing” the dress requirements of the club during official business meetings, dinners and installations. Understand, those who wish to continue to use the more formal dress may and can do so. Those who wish to dress in a more “casual” style of “blue kaki pants and polo-shirts” may do so as well. We would like to ask, during the usage of polo shirts, they have a “WBCCI” logo on the breast area of the shirt. I ask that all “Regions” and “Units” in the WBCCI also move to this new dress code. Out of “Respect” for the newer and younger members we feel this is in the “best” interest of the club and its growth for the future. But please be “Respectful” there maybe still many of us that prefer the more traditional dress that has been use by the club for over 40 years.

Now tell me, "Who is and has been "respecting" who??"

Old 10-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #263
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Respect

Paul,
All I can say is "Well Done", a great post that gets right to the point of the whole matter.
Thanks for the comments
Ed
Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #264
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Thumbs up Hear, hear!

Ed & Paul,

Right on!

(For those who may not be aware--Paul and Ed are both ex-Unit presidents who helped their Units grow, and understand the relationship between excess ceremony and attracting new members.)

Ed, I wish you could have been at the Bailey's Harbor rally just concluded. I was amazed to see "unauthorized flags" flying all over the place. One Unit officer who didn't make it to the Installation rally (who shall remain nameless--but you know who) was installed by a Region officer (who shall also remain nameless--but you also know who). Not a red coat or a blue beret in sight.

But what *were* in sight were new members right and left--eager to participate and help the Wisconsin Unit grow!

Hmmm. . . do you suppose there could be a connection?

See you up the road,
Nuvi
Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #265
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Nuvi,
The WI Unit has grown over the years because the new members feel wanted and are not always thrown into the fire to become Unit leaders if they don't want to. The leadership in the past has been all over the board, some very pro Old School and some like me, wanting to have fun, meeting the club requirements while not stuck on the pomp and all. I would like to say that when I was pres in 2003 that I sort of set the stage for a less formal approach to the club. Business meetings of 1/2 hour, no excessive ceremonies and lots of new things to do. Most of all a laid back rally schedule that gave the membership lots of time to have fun as they saw fit. I know that one of the best things I did was open the Vintage Open House up to all years of units and boy did that catch on.It is so cool to see old and new, young and old involved in that event. That is just one example of things that others have continued to incorporate into their presidency. This open mindset in Wisconsin is the key to drawing and more importantly keeping our members. I hope it continues and looking at the slate of officers we have going through the ranks I can't help but feel we will do well!

Itís so cool to be a part of this Unit; most of the people are very open to the likes of me!
Ed
Old 10-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #266
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfred
If you are an ex-military or education type, you will enjoy WBCCI immensely. If you like to just camp and have fun,well.
bfred,

Iíve been a wbcci member for four years now. I am neither a teacher nor a military man and have enjoyed the time in the club immensely. While not unique, my association with the club has introduced me to hundreds of fellow airstreamers I am proud to call friends.

There is no other place in my life where I can get all of this entertaining and harmless controversy for a measly $70/year. And as Iím sure you know, this club delivers on controversy. Itís been wonderful. If the IBT didn't throw garbage as us year after year the club might become...dare I say...just another camping club. I've found we can count on the IBT to keep us in a tither year in and year out.

I say if you're an Airstreamer and you haven't ponyíd up and joined the fray, you're probably one who never leaves the shallow end of the pool...or your just really cheap.

This club is awesome because of the people in it and their affinity for the atomic number 13.