Old 09-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #211
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I was wondering if the incoming Prez has been informed of this discussion? How about the IBT members? There have been posts by their detractors and supporters. Have any of their supporters clued them in to this discussion so they might read how some of the "common folk" feel about our clubs direction? Maybe someone should. A lot can be learned from lurking... now would be a good time for the IBT to lurk.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 AM   #212
Rivet Master

They are always watching!

Trust me on this one, the IBT knows what is said on the different forums.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #213
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Unfortunately, they seem to write them off a being from a fringe element that doesn't count.

Jim Mickle
Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #214
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Just shows how wrong they can be. If they read this and still think the way they do. Seems pretty arrogant to me. Or is it they just don't get it???
Old 09-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #215
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss
Just shows how wrong they can be. If they read this and still think the way they do. Seems pretty arrogant to me. Or is it they just don't get it???
Here is what I said in post #206:

"I just had a thought. To stay in power, they don't want younger people changing the mix of old VS. young. They do things like this (tuxes) to alienate the younger generation. Young people don't join and therefore don't vote (for change). They are doing a good job keeping themselves in power."

It's funny, I'm now 51 years old and there is still a "generation gap". "Young people" in this discussion are now the 40 -50 - and some 60 year olds and the "establishment generation is the 70 to 80 year olds.

If each generation keeps living longer and staying healthier longer, when we finally get in power and are in our 80's and 90's, some young whipper snapper 70 year old will be bi***ing and moaning about us .
Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yes, but...can't you be of a different generation and still allow younger generations to shape your thinking and embrace them? I want to grow older to be one of the old dogs that you can teach new tricks to. The IBT does not represent their generation. They are most definitely a special interest group that has been isolated unto themselves for far too long and we see that result. When I am queen of all, I will look to my subjects, so all in the land will live happily ever after. Through the eyes of a child...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #217
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Just a few thoughts but one reason that the dress code is mandated is for PR and photos, I suspect. These will probably be in the Blue Beret in the showcase at Airstream and at WBCCI headquarters possibly? I think the club would be more appealing to younger Airstreamers if the officers weren't always shown in dressed up head shots like the members of an institution and they each were pictured as in an environmental portrait as doing more and living more in their Airstream and on their travels. How much more interesting the Blue Beret and club would appear for old and new and prospective members alike. Teen Queen cover, how many new members came into the club this year after that inspiration? Promote active lifestyles and fun rather than dry worn out static shots. It's all about selling the club to new members, or is it?

photography
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair
Trust me on this one, the IBT knows what is said on the different forums.
They may know, but the question is... Do they listen?
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #219
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wader
They may know, but the question is... Do they listen?
They go that one further, they discontinued the communications liason committee and member share column and WBCCI forums threads just so they could stop hearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instead you have won three pages of welcome new member names for club news.

photography
Old 09-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
Geesh, a guy goes camping for five days and is out of the loop and look what happens.....things just fall apart all around ya.

I joined WBCCI because of the 4CU. The folks who drove this unit from an idea to a valid and functioning unit within WBCCI have proven that the system can and will be changed from within.

You can't change a thing by being outside looking in and complaining - sorry, you can make all the noise you want but it won't get you anywhere because only those who paid the dues get to have their say (excepting MAL's I guess - that needs to change ASAP). So, by being a member, I'm anticipating making my views known and supporting those in office who fairly represent what I think the WBCCI needs to be. I know it takes time, but we do live in an impatient world.

I know it's fun to take shots at these folks and I enjoy it myself . But in all seriousness, change will happen - these folks are only in place now because of roles they fulfilled over many years and as these come to completion and the newer breed take hold we'll see the changes we need.

So, if you want to change WBCCI there's only one way to do it - become a member and cast your votes. I hope you do.

I do believe it's a good thing for the IBT to be dressed in white tuxes. They will stand out so that those in attendance who want change will be able to find them easily and make them aware of the challenges the club faces if it doesn't change, and quickly. So, don't be shy, pick out a white tux and have a chat with them, and see if you can do so with all 25 or whatever the number is of white suits in the crowd. All evening, drop by, introduce yourself, let them know we appreciate their hard work (they have done so or they wouldn't be in the role they are in now) and then let them know that you, as a member, have concerns about lack of direction and focus and hope they are willing to listen to the members.

Barry
I also joined the WBCCI this year because of the new 4CU.
I agree with this posting, as the owner of a 1989 Squarestream the WBCCI rejected membership to them back then because the coach "wasn't acceptable".Even the "Airstream Silver Key Delivery" binder DID NOT come with a WBCCI information package for membership in it.So things can be changed at the WBCCI even when some classic member do not like it.
I beleive the people that DO NOT care for the WBCCI leadership should fight for change NOT run to leave.If you like to the WBCCI Join now, talk loud and carrying a big sharp stick to poke the poor WBCCI leadership into change or be quit .Come join the 4CU camping and help empty the M ball.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #221
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
They go that one further, they discontinued the communications liason committee and member share column and WBCCI forums threads just so they could stop hearing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instead you have won three pages of welcome new member names for club news.
I see these three, and sometimes four, pages of new members in each issue of the Blue Beret and I think, "What's happening to so many members that we loose an average of 1,200 members net every year, there certainly can't be that many members dying every year!" If there were, odds are the old fogies running the club would have died off long ago. The problem seems to be that people join and after the first year don't renew their membership and then you have a bunch more long term members that die.

The problem the IBT needs to acknowledge is that the membership committee needs to shift their focus on retaining members not getting new members. They are doing a fine job at that. And I'm not talking about motorhome issues either! Now they need to add member retention to the scope of their charge. If they do that, imagine how many members there would be in just 5 years! And by the way, member retention should require a lot less volunteer effort than getting new members to join. Perhaps we need a member retention committee to augment the membership committee.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 PM   #222
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
As far as I know, there is NO follow-up on members who don't renew. I asked last years membership chairman what they knew about why people didn't renew, and never got an answer! I will find out this year if there is any follow-up as I don't plan to renew.

Jim Mickle
Old 09-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #223
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM   #224
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
...The problem the IBT needs to acknowledge is that the membership committee needs to shift their focus on retaining members not getting new members...
This is right! focus on making the WBCCI a club that is too good to leave... the growth will take care of itself.

BTW, when we get our trailer done we're planning a trip to Disney... I've read many of your great posts on the subject and I will be likely picking your brain when the time comes...thanks!

1300miles of...

Dad, are we there yet?

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote