Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The installation is not private - it's open to all to attend, everybody is invited - but only those IBT members on stage are being asked to dress for the occasion.

Just like a Unit, IntraClub or Region event...I imagine there are IBT events that are private...I've never been invited. The installation ceremony is not one of them...I've been to thre of them.

Shari
I see. Pardon the mistake on my part. I derived from an earlier post in this thread that not all members were "invited" to the installation of the IBT. Thank You for clearing up this entire situation.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple
I see. Pardon the mistake on my part. I derived from an earlier post in this thread that not all members were "invited" to the installation of the IBT. Thank You for clearing up this entire situation.
No problem...sometimes these things take on a life of their own!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #183
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
What part of Texas?

RE:
I have interfaced with Jerry ...he seemed like a reasonable guy...he is from Texas.
Aw CRAP! Why is it that the "unusual" ones make the news?
cheers, bill b.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
No problem...sometimes these things take on a life of their own!

Shari
I agree. It's all making sense now. Thanks so much for helping out.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #185
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Geesh, a guy goes camping for five days and is out of the loop and look what happens.....things just fall apart all around ya.

I joined WBCCI because of the 4CU. The folks who drove this unit from an idea to a valid and functioning unit within WBCCI have proven that the system can and will be changed from within.

You can't change a thing by being outside looking in and complaining - sorry, you can make all the noise you want but it won't get you anywhere because only those who paid the dues get to have their say (excepting MAL's I guess - that needs to change ASAP). So, by being a member, I'm anticipating making my views known and supporting those in office who fairly represent what I think the WBCCI needs to be. I know it takes time, but we do live in an impatient world.

I know it's fun to take shots at these folks and I enjoy it myself . But in all seriousness, change will happen - these folks are only in place now because of roles they fulfilled over many years and as these come to completion and the newer breed take hold we'll see the changes we need.

So, if you want to change WBCCI there's only one way to do it - become a member and cast your votes. I hope you do.

I do believe it's a good thing for the IBT to be dressed in white tuxes. They will stand out so that those in attendance who want change will be able to find them easily and make them aware of the challenges the club faces if it doesn't change, and quickly. So, don't be shy, pick out a white tux and have a chat with them, and see if you can do so with all 25 or whatever the number is of white suits in the crowd. All evening, drop by, introduce yourself, let them know we appreciate their hard work (they have done so or they wouldn't be in the role they are in now) and then let them know that you, as a member, have concerns about lack of direction and focus and hope they are willing to listen to the members.

Barry
Old 09-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #186
2 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
1968 30' Sovereign
1988 29' Excella
Appleton , Wisconsin
This is my first post ever.....

Usually Ed speaks enough for both of us!!!

As for the validity of the original post and concerns it is somehow fabricated, that is not the case. I also saw these emails. Nothing made up...

My concern regarding this Tuxedogate is the continuing alienation of the average member by our IBT. Tuxedos are only one piece of their preplanned wardrobe. A wardrobe protocol is sent out to officers dictating the apparel of the day. All I can say is in 100 degree weather, is a jacket and tie appropriate? Will we think they are incapable of running this club if they were dressed in a golf shirt and shorts? (I am inclined to think the opposite!) Are they afraid they might be too approachable? Or is the wardrobe selected to draw attention to their position? Hmmmm....

When Wally established this caravan club, he wanted everyone to be equals. If you are a doctor, there is no mention of this accomplishment on your badge or next to your name in the directory. We are all just caravanners. The only difference, according to our book of rules, will be the color of our badges. And yet this has morphed into red jackets (ick!), white pants (double ick!) and other combinations of uniforms.

I say let's get back to basics. I want to travel on lots more caravans, attend fun rallies, have an international rally with lots and lots of vendors, (and not have my water and electric disconnected at 6am July 5th), make more friends and spend lots of time with the great friends this club has already provided to me. If we all do this, our officers included, our club will be great. And then it won't matter to me what we wear...

Sandy Emerick
redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #187
Rivet Master

Where my two cents, clearly does not belong

I have a white tuxedo. Do you think that I should tie dye it?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
The “Chaplin” is calling me a Stinking Liar!

Kent,
As I have stated in the past posts this is a fact, I saw the email, Sandy saw the email from Larson to a Regional officer, I don’t have the imagination to make this stuff up. However I am appalled at the content of his message to his IBT brothers, it is basically “I don’t care what you think this is the way it is going to be.” He refuses to listen to what the membership wants or what is needed to move this club to one that will draw today’s Airstreamer into the WBCCI. Lets face it the leadership just does not get it, they are living in the past and doesn’t want to look to the future.

Heck what do they care, they may have 10 years left, there’s money in the bank and they will be long gone when those of us that are left are wondering what the hell happened to my club. They don’t want change, they don’t want to deal with change, they don’t want to expend the effort to defend their position, do you see them posting to defend their position in this thread? HEY JERRY AND THE IBT DEFEND YOUR IDEAS! STEP UP!

Do you see the writer of that email calling me a liar? Jerry wouldn’t dare because he knows I have a copy and will scan it and post it if I need to.

You state that this is not positive and this thread pokes fun at the WBCCI and that is just not right. Well if you can’t laugh at the silliness of this whole thing you need to step back and take a deep breath because you are way to serious about this HOBBY!

As far as your attack on my integrity, and the integrity of this thread I started, you have no proof that I did not read that email. Until you do I think you should be careful on who you are calling a liar, that’s not a good thing for a “Chaplin” to do. I’m glad my Priest trusts what I say.
Ed
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Well, I for one believe you Ed and over the last few IBT "issues" have come to trust your judgement as rational and reasonable. And there is enough evidence to the same on WBCCI's own web site.
I am under the impression that the "Chaplin" PM'd you that voice of doubt because I do not see it here posted in this thread. Why not just post that message here I wonder???? Or are we talking about post #168???
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #190
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
<snip>I do not see it here posted in this thread.
Post #168
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:34 PM   #191
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
And the Hits just keep on coming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick
Kent,
As I have stated in the past posts this is a fact, I saw the email, Sandy saw the email from Larson to a Regional officer, I don’t have the imagination to make this stuff up. However I am appalled at the content of his message to his IBT brothers, it is basically “I don’t care what you think this is the way it is going to be.” He refuses to listen to what the membership wants or what is needed to move this club to one that will draw today’s Airstreamer into the WBCCI. Lets face it the leadership just does not get it, they are living in the past and doesn’t want to look to the future.

Heck what do they care, they may have 10 years left, there’s money in the bank and they will be long gone when those of us that are left are wondering what the hell happened to my club. They don’t want change, they don’t want to deal with change, they don’t want to expend the effort to defend their position, do you see them posting to defend their position in this thread? HEY JERRY AND THE IBT DEFEND YOUR IDEAS! STEP UP!

Do you see the writer of that email calling me a liar? Jerry wouldn’t dare because he knows I have a copy and will scan it and post it if I need to.

You state that this is not positive and this thread pokes fun at the WBCCI and that is just not right. Well if you can’t laugh at the silliness of this whole thing you need to step back and take a deep breath because you are way to serious about this HOBBY!

As far as your attack on my integrity, and the integrity of this thread I started, you have no proof that I did not read that email. Until you do I think you should be careful on who you are calling a liar, that’s not a good thing for a “Chaplin” to do. I’m glad my Priest trusts what I say.
Ed

Well now Mr PAST VAC President you are now entering the Twilight Zone! Someplace I have already been!

No offense Ed, but pointing out the obvious regarding the disconnect between our leadership and its membership in this forum does little more than entertain the non members and and confuse the uninitiated.

If we want real change, we need grass roots efforts. We need those new members to work at the local level to improve and refine their club where all the real business and fun really happens. The International Rally is just as passe as the White Tux's! It costs too much, creates too much controversy and leaves many first timers with a bad experience they are not soon to repeat!

Less than 15% of the membership attends and that money would be better spent at the region levels where attendence would be much greater.

Unless we are allowed to convene a constitutional convention to change the way we do business, new leadership with the mindset of the present new members joining today is 13 years away! That is how long it takes to become the International President!

1 years as a member, 3 years as a Unit Officer, 6 years as a Region Officer and 3 Years as an International Officer.

While it is possible to skip a couple years this is generally how long its going to take.

By that time the next generation will be joining us and if we are still promoting regimented Officers in this fashion we will be stuck in the same cycle of discontent.

It's hard to think of ZZ Top as being Geriatric, but our day is coming!

If we let it!

We need new members to outnumber the old and gain a majority to make real change! The formality of the aging club will wane with the surge of younger members as they change both the look and feel of the club and ultimately replace the image of the club as merely a retired persons club, which it has today!

We all need to work together in a positive atmosphere to foster the kind of Ideals the club represents, Fun, Fellowship and Adventure. The motto may be a little stiff and outdated but results are still the same, having a good time exploring places with friends new and old!

It's what Airstreaming is all about!

So let the seniors have their fun while we reshape the club in our version of fun and relaxation!

WAM
Past President WDCU 2002
Past President VAC 2005-06
wam52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #192
Rivet Master

Hmmm, white tux's???? That's it!! Why don't we all "DRESS" for the VAC Parade in white Tux's, and unhitch our trailers wearing white gloves as well. That would be wild! We could have fun with this!!!
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #193
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
All kidding aside (I've had my share of joking about the attire, too), I agree with Chaplin Kent. We have what we have and we should respect that until we can achieve change.

Has anyone made a motion to change the current system/constitution to make it easier to become President of the Club? What about making it easier to make changes in general? We all complain, including me, about the current system, but has anyone tried to get a motion on the floor for a vote to change the system? I'm a new member and didn't get a chance to go to the International this first year of membership despite it being in my own backyard (shame on me) and probably won't be able to go to one for a few years to come. But wouldn't some of the newer members go for such a motion? I'm one of the younger/newer members and I would go for it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #194
Rivet Master

Minnie's Mate,

As a Trustee of my unit, we are having a tough time finding unit members (numbering 120 rigs) to run for ANY office. As of last month, we still had several officer positions open, and our election luncheon is next month. You might find it easier than you think to run for office.
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #195
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wam52
No offense Ed, but pointing out the obvious regarding the disconnect between our leadership and its membership in this forum does little more than entertain the non members and and confuse the uninitiated.

Boy, did YOU ever hit the nail on the head with that one!!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:11 AM   #196
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Easy on the "Senior" comments! There's a lot of us old farts out there that are onboard with the younger group. I'm 68 and I still haven't figured out what I want to do when I grow up!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Easy on the "Senior" comments! There's a lot of us old farts out there that are onboard with the younger group. I'm 68 and I still haven't figured out what I want to do when I grow up!

Geesh, Cracker, you've still got another 12 or so years before you are officially a senior in my books . Old age is a mindset, not something that comes with the number of milestones one has happened to hit.

Barry
Old 09-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #198
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think because a dress code was mandated sent flags up. The choice of costume has always taken hits from the fashion police on its own respective merit.

Remember age doesn't matter unless you're cheese.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #199
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Remember age doesn't matter unless you're cheese.
Or red wine or waiting for your first driver's license.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #200
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The current system makes it almost impossible for a non-retiree to be a member of the IBT, or some of the other high level offices, with all the cross country travel required. If you still work like I do, you can't travel to all the meetings that are required. I have forgotten how many there are and where they are located, but I know I can't take a family vacation and attend the Mid-Winter and International rallies.
WBCCI# 4821