Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
To WBCCI or NOT To WBCCI

What everyones reasons for Joining WBCCI or NOT Joining WBCCI
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
When I bought my Airstream I was a complete novice at RV camping. None of my friends, neighbors, or coworkers were RV campers, either. In this part of the third world (as the bumper sticker says, "Louisiana— Third World and Proud of It!") more people go "camping" at a hunting or fishing camp, with is basically a bunkhouse up on stilts in a swamp on the far edge of nowhere because the middle of nowhere isn't far enough away. If you think Airstreaming defines "glamping" you should see some of these hunting or fishing camps! Aside from bunk beds in every bedroom, a lot of them are furnished and decorated better than any home I've ever lived in. But anyway…

Joining WBCCI instantly gave me a whole new circle of friends with a common interest, namely Airstreaming. No particular pressure, either. Attend rallies when I want to be sociable, go camping alone when I don't, as long as I'm willing to tell them all about it when we next get together. I think I would enjoy RV camping just as much without WBCCI, but I'd probably be more like a mobile hermit.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
This is going to be an interesting thread. Tagging in so I can find it again

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Interested in joining myself. Of course I'm waiting until after July 1st so my dues will be good for a year and a half.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermantic View Post
What everyones reasons for Joining WBCCI or NOT Joining WBCCI

I was told by the salesman about the club and the forums. I joined both - the forums for 6 months of reading before pulling the trailer off the lot. And I joined a local unit without knowing anything. That unit had a joint event with the New England Unit and after meeting those folks, I got why.

I love the gang at NEU and have learned a ton from them.

It's all about finding folks you resonate with and camping - just camping 😄

Enjoy!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
WBCCI is a great organization. You need to find a nearby unit that suits you. My favorite is the WBCCI Wisconsin Unit , but there are a lot of good ones.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We joined WBCCI in 2009 because it is the traditional Airstream club and the opportunity to join Airstream caravans. We have not been able to work a caravan into our travel and time schedule (we travel autumn to spring) but still intend to, so we remain members. No regrets, small price compared to most things we buy for our Airstream and tow vehicle.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
When we sold our last AS the thing we missed the most was the Wally club. Really nice people.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Does anyone not join because they feel the WBCCI has too many rules and feels starchy?
Old 06-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermantic View Post
Does anyone not join because they feel the WBCCI has too many rules and feels starchy?

I think the answer to that is yes. I can see how it would be that way. I've been working on our unit's constitution and by laws rewrite and WBCCI headquarters wants us to use their template for starters. It feels "starchy" for sure - but we've been playing through it and even wrote up our own set of principles that better define our unit. It is what people make it 😄
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:12 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I was a member for 4 years and was a trustee. The local club was tied to doing rallies a certain way and variations weren't encouraged. I was pushing for having a rotation of rallies, one informal, the other in their traditional format. Informal to me meant having no business meeting, not having to have a social hour every night, or group meals for breakfast and dinner every day.

Bottom line one of the younger members planned an informal rally and only 6 units showed up. I set up the Moraine View forum rally to be a buddy rally that would allow the local unit the ability to experience an unstructured rally. None of the membership showed up. I learned later on that during the regional rally that many of the unit members planned together to boycott these two "informal" rallies. Once I found out, I decided that I no longer wanted to be part of the group and both myself and the other younger member whose rally was boycotted left.

Obviously I don't want to say bad things about the organization as a whole since my experience is with a local unit. I just felt that the organization as a whole has evolved to a rules based organization with everything having to be done a certain way. I saw it with that attitude locally that was unwilling to change and evolve and whose local membership was more interested in doing a rally a certain way, than just a group of people who like each others company and like to keep things simple.

Personally I have better things to spend my money and time on.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Jack. I kinda agree with you but have not, as of yet that is, experienced such an attitude. We only joined this past year and have been on several rallys with our local unit. We find everyone friendly and " informal". They do, however, enjoy their social hour. We do also. This past weekend we enjoyed a " Buddy" rally with another unit having been invited by airstreaming friends. Had a great time and would enjoy doing it again. I don't know if our local unit supports buddy rallys but I shall inquire and find out.
So, I like you Jack am not standing in line to get my beret.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Too WBCCI or NOT Too WBCCI

Polarlyse, again I'm not condemning all. Our unit supported buddy rallies, but not this one because this buddy rally was also an Airforums rally with sizable attendance,. They chose not to be around lots of folks who aren't of their kind and do things differently, and it was a vote in kind that tradition trumps doing something differently. Buddy rallies to them is inviting one or two non WBCCI members to a rally. Having, at the time, 30 non WBCCI units at one of their monthly rallies was probably overwhelming to them.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Gaining lots of Good information PLEASE Keep it coming.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
No clubs for us/me.

Hi, we bought a travel trailer for traveling. We don't need, or want, any clubs, caravans, social parties, RULES, or to be controlled by Officers. We enjoy one forum rally per year. And the rally rules are "There are no rules" and that's how we like it.

Everyone must decide for themselves.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
The NOVA unit of the WBCCI was born out of the desired for the founding members to attend a few certain WBCCI only rallies.

NOVA has always held the attitude that we respect the history, tradition, and fellowship of the WBCCI, but we leave the business at home. I can not remember a time when we have not welcomed anyone to join us, airstreamer or not. We even let Argosy owners in.

Our membership attends forum rallies, WBCCIi rallies, shows, hospitals, and everything in between. I think someone went to a business meeting once, but I'm not sure.

In time perhaps one of our members will choose to step up and help at regional. That will be great and I'm sure we all would assists as asked.

Until then, maybe we will just open another bottle of wine.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The WBCCI is no different then any-other social club. It is what YOU make of it. If you want to camp with other people who are Airstream crazy, then join the club. If you would rather camp by yourself and don't like other people, then don't join.

The WBCCI is about having fun with other Airstreamers.

Join the club, and check out your local unit, if you don't mesh with them, then check out another unit. You would be surprised how different one unit can be from the next, even in the same state.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We joined in January of 2011 to the unit that H.Q. recommended. About a year later we learned of the N.O.V.A. Unit ( Northern Ohio Virtual Airstream ). We have been to just one of their gatherings and had more fun than all the other rallies we have been to in 4 1/2 years. The unit we belong to and I am president of this year may fold in the next couple of years we will go with the NOVA unit which we are also members of.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Why I left the WBCCI

See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...-120353-2.html #14, 16 & 25.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We've been to three WBCCI rallies, 1 WBCCI caravan, and 4 non WBCCI rallies. They were all great in their own way. Most all of these events were in different states (IL, TX, FL, AR). You pick and chose what you want, what you want to return to, and what you want to avoid. The "business" parts of the WBCCI rallies was so minimal that they didn't detract from the social aspect of the get together. I hate to see people avoid things based on other people's experiences. Try it for yourself and make up your own mind. Don't let other people's experiences influence you.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote