Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #81
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I understand the "why" of a name tag. It's exactly the same reason for wearing one at work, and that's precisely the problem.

It isn't a huge deal, but trying to shake someone down for not wearing enough flair is bad form, if we can forgive the Office Space reference.

I guess it would be better if these sorts of things were made known up front, before you threw the better part of a Benjy at the club. Then expectations would be more in line with reality and people wouldn't get as frustrated by these sorts of nits.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
About 12 years or so ago, we bought a 2000 - 30' Excella from a couple in Florida who were members of an Airstream Park just north of Pensacola, FL.

We were coerced into joining WBCCI at one of the first "rallys" we went to at this park. When we were new members and not really aware of the politics involved with several long time members, we thought it was prety neat. That lasted for a couple months.

Then some things came up that brought the politics into play....we did not have our WBCCI numbers on our trailer. At one "rally" some guy who was with the national WBCCI outfit was there. I was informed that since he was in attendance that my numbers had to be displayed. It got to be a rather nasty weekend, as we were pretty well "shunned", by the members who seemed to have to bow to whoever this guy was.

I cancelled the membership, and will never rejoin WBCCI. I like the Airstream product, but the politics involved with these cliches are beyond awful.

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

PS: Besides that, I've never seen a picture of anyone wearing the "cherished" blue beret that has even a remote clue how to properly wear a beret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That part is no different. Attendees at recent Internationals are probably aware of the "name tag police." Unfortunately, she's in my Unit. If you don't wear your name tag, you're fined a dollar, which is then put in the kitty for the "Cents for Kids" charity, or whatever it's called. A new fine each day you don't wear it, besides.

Wearing a name tag makes sense at a Region rally or International where you'll meet people you don't know. But at a Unit rally where everyone knows everyone else already, it's stupid.

And making those name tags costs the club actual money, that could be better spent on something more important. Especially since Region officers and International officers get special name badges with a different-colored background in addition to having the name of the office they hold, so every International officer has at least three badges to choose from, one from the Unit, one from the Region, and one from the International level.

They say "rank has its privileges" but this particular privilege seems pretty rank to me!
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
Well,
I just paid my membership fee online so now we can attend the International Rally legitimately. Now I just need to come up with an act for the talent show.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We are on the fence about joining. In our case we are not real social, group-activity kinds of people, so probably would just get an at-large membership and wouldn't attend any rallies. But, we think the red numbers are pretty cool (assuming they can be easily removed without a trace -- vinyl overlay seems to be the way to go.) Having just written all this I quess joining just to display red number is a waste of money.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
remphoto,

I invite you to check out NOVA, http://www.campnova.com We are right in your backyard and it sounds like you would fit in very well!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Regarding name tags, I'm with those who wear them. Consider the person who is attending a Rally for the very first time. How many others are there at that Rally? How many new names does that new person have to learn? If the only people at the Rally are those who already know each other name tags are not necessary. Once a new person shows up, especially if the club wants that new person to join, it makes sense to make it easier for the new person to learn the names of the current members of the club.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #87
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I really do get the logic, but have happily participated in regattas, races, and rides ranging from half a dozen to six thousand participants without a nametag.

From Wendy's through active duty, contract engineering, and my current position, nametag = work. It flat out is not going to happen on a weekend.

That said, not all rallies are all in a twist about this, so it should be pretty low on why to (or not to) participate in WBCCI.

I guess you could always register under the name "Inigo Montoya."
Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
WoW! Seems that WBCCI might be a Happy Place Cursed with a Plague of "Do Gooders" that think just because a "Rule" was once written that it is Golden. Keep Posting We are gathering great information.
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #89
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have nametags but often forget them. Have had it " mentioned" a few times but only in passing and nobody has gotten their shorts in a bunch over it. So I don't either. If we remember OK, if not, still OK

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #90
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The name tags are useful at International Rallies, as the ribbons they attach indicate that you have paid your dues to attend that rally. The security monitors, at the auditorium doors, can quickly check for interlopers. At Region rallies, they help identify to which local unit you belong. I also keep my past International rally pins on the bolo tie that carries my badge. It lets people know the years I attended. It is like the past president, stars, and caravan stickers on the trailer.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Random opinion on name tags.

There is a wonderous irony when gathered with a bunch of 'streamers at a (very) happy hour in grungy camp clothes and name tags - presumably so the further you get in to happy hour, the more reference material you'll need to remember the names of the people you're getting so happy with 😄

I could take them or leave them. But one of our NEU members created these awesome leather bolo ties with our WBCCI numbers on an aluminum riveted disc as a badge holder. Too cool and funky! Makes badge wearing much more fun.

Now pass the happy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1438003024.515392.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	244005
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I find the complaints and criticisms of the "structure" of the WBCCI ironic.

After hosting numerous AirForums events, the most expected and requested items by attendees are agendas and name tags.

As the dates of the rally approach, attendees begin to request agendas, make potluck menus, plan decoration contests, etc.

No real difference, folks.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
NECKTIE idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Well, I may soon be one of those people who choose not to WBCCI. The new Region president has announced the uniform of the day for the region rally, and it requires unit officers to wear a red necktie.

I made it very plain on multiple occasions that I do not enjoy wearing a necktie and haven't worn one since December 23rd, 1989— I remember that date because it's the first time I saw snow in New Orleans. I don't even intend to wear a tie at my own funeral, let alone while I'm still alive to kick and scream over it.
I only HEARD this story... it MAY be an urban (or rally) legend.

A member who is no longer posting, 2Airishuman, was at a rally (the international possibly) and was confronted by one of the WBCCI "uniform enforcers" because he was outside of his unit and did not have his beret, tie or badges on.
Without saying a word, he went back inside and came back out almost immediately wearing his beret, tie and badges...

and nothing else.
Not quite sure if the uniform geezer survived, but apparently "hissy fit" doesn't come close to his reaction.

Paula
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
The best badge is: "Hello, I'm _______ welcome to _______". Make it up front and personal; otherwise that NEW person will just look at badges and nothing welcoming will be said.

mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #95
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The badges serve a useful purpose, but the badge police take it to extremes… such as at this last International when I was told, "Wear your badge at all times, including when you go to the grocery store or out to dinner, to show your support for the community." Huh? Aren't I showing my support for the community by spending money there? And of course the badge has not one, but two ribbons on it, the International ribbon to show I paid my fees, and the First-timer ribbon.

So anyway, one afternoon I forget to take my badge off when I made a trip to the grocery store, only to overhear a comment, "Who's that doofus wearing the ribbons?" Thanks to you, mysterious stranger, I will never forget to remove my badge when I leave the rally grounds, ever again, no matter what the badge police say.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #96
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
I wouldn't put it past 2Air but I think it is a WBCCI legend.
As "Pro" said we did have Helen as our badge police for a good cause, no one was going to drag you off if you didn't pay up. The logic behind the badges at International is your meeting so many new people from all over the U.S. and Canada each day it is nice to have the badge to kick your memory on the name and where they are from. If you just hang out with your own little group of friends or have a photographic mind I see no need for a badges, but. I alway say it's nice to pick out the high muck e mucks from their badges to complain to, you get more results that way.
Since we did attend International this year I wanted to let people know our impressions. Parking this year was very professional and members were parked on Sunday 1-4. I see no problem letting the Parkers have a morning off for whatever reason. Anyone that came in after 4:00pm could hook-up to electricity for the night and get parked in the morning.
I worked on Tours for the rally and sent those that would like to go on tours all over the area from rafting in Durango to archeologist lead tours of Chaco Canyon. Lots of members went on their own but others liked the opportunity to meet new people on the tours. We were able to work deals for fly fishing on the San Juan, wine tasting and bluegrass at a local vineyard. My favorite was full moon guided tour of Aztec Ruins which of course was the only 2 nights in Farmington that had cloud cover, great tour anyway.
The seminars were great if you wanted to participate. We had David Nighteagle, native flute player who was awesome, seminars on the history of NW New Mexico, seminar on the Navajo code talkers by one of the code talkers and of course tech seminars. Airstream Inc was there doing their feedback session on Airstreams from both men and women. Dale Schwamborn did a couple of seminars on the Cape Town to Cairo caravan and about the early days of the WBCCI when his mother Helen ran the club for her cousin Wally Byam.
Oh yes, the political part. Flag parade and opening ceremonies, if you want to attend, no one makes you! I carried the Oregon Flag and got to visit with region 10 friends as we were waiting. I proudly carried the flag dressed in my white Pendleton Round-up shirt, skirt, cowgirl boots and a fabulous cowgirl hat to promote the Pendleton Round Up National Rally that I'm hosting. No one has said anything for the past 2 years. I agree, some changes would be good for opening, but I haven't volunteered to take it over yet. If you want change, volunteer to be chairman. I missed the IBT and Delagates meetings, they were over by 10 am. Only if you are a region officer did they have other meetings which general membership could attend if they wanted to.
About dress codes, only the National and region officers have any kind of dress codes and most of this is coming down to casual Friday dress. Again, their dress code is a great target to know who you need to talk to, just saying.
And religion, I would say the Oregon Unit has helped put religion in it's place at International. Any prayer was very non-denominational and was not over done at all. All in all I don't think even the atheist would have been offended by it, I know I was not.
Saying this, International is not for everyone and bad press always gets retold more than good press. This rally is for friends to reconnect from all over the U.S. and Canada, see a new area of the country, make new friends, learn from members all over the country about new ideas for rallies, units etc. There is a huge exchange of ideas for those who take advantage of it. No one has to go to International and those that want to do their own thing with their own little group probably would not have as good a time as those who want to meet others in this International setting, as the couple we met from Ontario, Canada said as we were heading out on a tour, we came to International to meet new people, we didn't come to rally with our unit, we can do that anytime. And, of course meet face to face those names from Airforum.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #97
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Protagonist, I'm going to volunteer you to be badge police next time if your stealth enough they won't know what hit them. You can make money for cents for kids and remind members to take off badges when they go to the grocery store, I did find it fun to wear the badge to dinner at restaurants as we talked with people as we waited in line since they asked us about it. A large group doing something is one thing, an individual in a grocery store maybe another. To each his own but I agree, wear it if you want when outside the venue.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #98
Rivet Master

All come on guys/ladies, name badges, ties and beret's are fine.

Even I have worn the uniform in the past. All you need to do is add a little flair to it.

Enjoy,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perry-GA.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	244016  
Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #99
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
All come on guys/ladies, name badges, ties and beret's are fine.

Even I have worn the uniform in the past. All you need to do is add a little flair to it.

Enjoy,
I leave the calculus of whether or not it costs members to others. It is probably a generational thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeSpace
Stan: We need to talk about your flair.
Joanna: Really? I...I have fifteen pieces on. I, uh...
[she shows him her flair buttons]
Stan: Well, okay. Fifteen is the minimum, okay?
Joanna: Okay.
Stan: Now, you know it's up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum. Or uh...well, like Brian, for example, has thirty seven pieces of flair, okay. And a terrific smile.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
Since we did attend International this year I wanted to let people know our impressions. Parking this year was very professional and members were parked on Sunday 1-4. I see no problem letting the Parkers have a morning off for whatever reason. Anyone that came in after 4:00pm could hook-up to electricity for the night and get parked in the morning.
I worked on Tours for the rally and sent those that would like to go on tours all over the area from rafting in Durango to archeologist lead tours of Chaco Canyon. Lots of members went on their own but others liked the opportunity to meet new people on the tours. We were able to work deals for fly fishing on the San Juan, wine tasting and bluegrass at a local vineyard. My favorite was full moon guided tour of Aztec Ruins which of course was the only 2 nights in Farmington that had cloud cover, great tour anyway.
The seminars were great if you wanted to participate. We had David Nighteagle, native flute player who was awesome, seminars on the history of NW New Mexico, seminar on the Navajo code talkers by one of the code talkers and of course tech seminars. Airstream Inc was there doing their feedback session on Airstreams from both men and women. Dale Schwamborn did a couple of seminars on the Cape Town to Cairo caravan and about the early days of the WBCCI when his mother Helen ran the club for her cousin Wally Byam.
Oh yes, the political part. Flag parade and opening ceremonies, if you want to attend, no one makes you! I carried the Oregon Flag and got to visit with region 10 friends as we were waiting. I proudly carried the flag dressed in my white Pendleton Round-up shirt, skirt, cowgirl boots and a fabulous cowgirl hat to promote the Pendleton Round Up National Rally that I'm hosting. No one has said anything for the past 2 years. I agree, some changes would be good for opening, but I haven't volunteered to take it over yet. If you want change, volunteer to be chairman. I missed the IBT and Delagates meetings, they were over by 10 am. Only if you are a region officer did they have other meetings which general membership could attend if they wanted to.
About dress codes, only the National and region officers have any kind of dress codes and most of this is coming down to casual Friday dress. Again, their dress code is a great target to know who you need to talk to, just saying.
And religion, I would say the Oregon Unit has helped put religion in it's place at International. Any prayer was very non-denominational and was not over done at all. All in all I don't think even the atheist would have been offended by it, I know I was not.
Saying this, International is not for everyone and bad press always gets retold more than good press. This rally is for friends to reconnect from all over the U.S. and Canada, see a new area of the country, make new friends, learn from members all over the country about new ideas for rallies, units etc. There is a huge exchange of ideas for those who take advantage of it. No one has to go to International and those that want to do their own thing with their own little group probably would not have as good a time as those who want to meet others in this International setting, as the couple we met from Ontario, Canada said as we were heading out on a tour, we came to International to meet new people, we didn't come to rally with our unit, we can do that anytime. And, of course meet face to face those names from Airforum.
Informative post Teresa - I was getting to the point that I was thinking we would have to wait for about another 10-years before we were old enough to attend an International.... After reading your upbeat post, that might not be the case.

Also your plug for the Pendleton Round Up Rally might actually be well timed as we are planning a trip down the Oregon Coast Hwy this fall. Mind you, it might be a bit early for us (September 14-20) but we will see..... Do you still have room?

Thanks

Doug