Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Why I am still a member,

Southeastern Camping Unit (012) | Moving WBCCI Forward!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Michael is right about that unit. Prior to that the North Georgia unit was a craggy and grumpy bunch of old Airstreamers, who mostly squatted ( and many still do) at an Airstream park here.
I joined WBCCI in 2001 and was excited to be a part of the history and ready to learn about Airstreaming and make new friends. Attended our first rally and were turned off by the rules, the grumpiness and the lack of any friendship or fellowship extended to us. Without getting into all of it we were so upset by what we saw, that we packed up and left.
Until the SE Camping Unit was formed our only outlet was the Forums Rallys that we helped to start in 2002, with 7 other members from all over. They were what we looked for, new friends to camp with. Sharing good times with our families and our Airstreams. Kudos to the new GA unit for taking the initiative to get this kind of thing rolling here.
By the way my wife Shannon and I have hosted almost 30 Rallys though the years with no club membership or fees or anything else required. It is an ongoing fun time that has spawned many other such events. You can find that option wherever you live if the club there does not serve your needs.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We always felt welcomed by the members of our local unit, but we just thought they were somewhat overzealous in wanting to stick with tradition. I remember going to our one and only regional rally. We decided one afternoon to take a sightseeing tour of the area. While out I got a call from one of the unit members asking me where we were? I told her that we were sightseeing. Her response was, well Jack it's social hour! The intent in her voice was that social hour trumped our plans.

The next rub was the next day when a group of members from another state unit came up to me and asked me where my numbers were. I told them I wasn't going to put them on my trailer. Part of that came from a conversation with my dealer as to whether having numbers would affect my trade in value in the future. He noted it would and I figured I could mount my numbers on some plexiglass which I could hang on the trailer when parked at rallies. Bottom line I was told by those members that if I came back to a future regional rally, they expected that I display my numbers properly.

Finally I stumbled outside an open door to a leaders seminar where they were discussing how to make sure that membership continue to do things "the club way". I remember the speaker who was a regional officer discussing the "baldies" parked out in the grounds. (Trailers without their number displayed in the prescribed format). He noted it was a sign of disrespect to the club and that members should be concentrating on those folks to get them in compliance. Thankfully only one of my units members tried to pressure me. The rest pretty much ignored my non compliance.

Personally I remember telling my wife about the last two incidents which prompted us to scratch our heads as to why we joined. After all wasn't it just a social group of folks just out to have fun and camp? It's almost like a bunch of folks who used to be in leadership in business or were retired military officers, missed their authenitory positions and became WBCCI leaders.

Needless to say all of this plus the incidents I described in a previous post, led us to leave after 4 years in the chapter.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Kudos to Jack and Allen for the previous two posts.

I looked at several units prior to finding one that is opposite to that of the old farts presented earlier.

Try Texas Gulf Coast (Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.) or Heart of Texas Camping Unit (HOTC) prior to giving up on the WBCCI in Texas.

This thread should be required reading for the entire high echelon of the WBCCI.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As a postscript, I didn't mention that the unit pretty much lost every new member who had joined from the time I joined through the year after I left. That spoke volumes regarding what new members thought of the local organization. Things got so bad that they came very close to foundering, with some of the officers positions going unfilled. Things have turned for them and they are gaining some membership. I think the losses through age and death of the old guard may have loosened things up. That really is the future of the organization. Although it will never be what it was once, there may be hope that the organization will continue to loosen up as time passes. The advent of Alumapaooza, and forum rallies will continue to show that it really doesn't require an official club to provide the social and gathering opportunities that Airstream owners are looking for. The fact that the latter two outlets also don't require ownership of an Airstream provides a much better promotional arm for Airstream corporate than WBCCI does.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Having been a member of WBCCI for about seven years now, I've generally have found it worthwhile. We've been on a couple of national caravans and they have been great. We also enjoy our unit and the rallies we have attended. We've made great friends and the help and advice we receive about our trailer and campaign has made showing up more than worthwhile. I spent forty years in the non-profit, volunteer profession and I do find WBCCI to be a bit "starchy". We have not attended a national yet for primarily that reason. We did not take up RV'ing to wear a "uniform" but expect we will give one a try in 2016 when it is held in WV. I have observed efforts to have the club lighten up a bit, but years of tradition dies hard. The club definitely is suffering from a lack of interest from future generations and like so many service clubs, etc. and I believe it will continue to experience a membership decline unless there is real change. Over the past three years, we have traveled back and forth across the country each year. What has been very obvious to us is just how few WBCCI members we have come across.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Bottom line I was told by those members that if I came back to a future regional rally, they expected that I display my numbers properly.
Fortunately WBCCI has never come up with an "official" way to display numbers on an Interstate, so that has been a moot point for me. No one has ever complained about the fact that my numbers are on a magnetic sign stuck to my Interstate's hood.

I've been here at the International Rally in Farmington since the 23rd, and while there is still a lot of pomp and pageantry and hidebound traditionalism, it's not quite as bad as I was led to expect. I had to carry my Unit flag in the opening ceremony— a duty which I hated and would just as soon pass off to someone else next year when I'm Unit president— but I wasn't required to wear a blazer or a necktie, and wearing the blue beanie was optional.

I remain fully convinced that once my year as Unit president is over, I'll never willingly hold another office in the club, but I'll gladly stay in the club as long as I don't have to hold an office and can concentrate on the fun stuff.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Just to add to what Jack said- we, at our Rallys have encouraged people without Airstreams or any trailer at all for that matter, to join us. We get folks who are also at the same campgrounds, or saw our info online. This alone has sold a few Airstreams I know of for sure. Its all about promoting the fun and fellowship not the rules and regalia
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post

Us, too! Informal camping at state parks in a relaxed, easy-going environment with fun people.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The reason for numbers on the trailers at rallies and AS parks for ID in case of emergency. Ever try to pick one AS out of others if you are a first responder in an emergency call? The numbers could save your life. We were always told to at least display them on a large piece of cardboard or similar on the street side of the trailer. With number on the trailer all the authorities have to do get general directions on your location and look for the numbers.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #31
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The first AS rally we attended was in Sarasota, Fl a few years ago. We were not members but were assigned a temporary # to post on our front window for just that exact reason. I guess some things are all about numbers. Worked for us. We are now members and have our own number posted in the traditional way.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We joined when the dealer where we purchased our first AS "gave" us a one year membership. We've been members now for I think six years. Both my wife and I are not joiners, although we volunteer with several organizations benefiting animals and veterans. We have stayed members because we like the people as we share a common interest Airstreams. Our club is a very diverse group and to date we've only participated in the monthly "off season" lunches, we have enjoyed them all. We would like to help, but my involvement with a new dog rescue we started up, 56 dogs in kennels right now, pretty much precludes my taking on any more.

In the six years we never attended a Rally nor a Caravan. Just never had an interest. This past May we attended our first WBCII Rally - The Region 2 Rally near State College PA. Having had the opportunity to run several business units in my work career; from the moment we pulled in until the time we left I could see the organization and work that went into running a very nice event. After 40 years of camping and RV travel I also learned a few things and found a new grill which I ordered the day we got home thanks polarlyse (Roger in NJ). Our neighbors were great, each very different from the other, but lots of enjoyment for Alice and I. Our pup loved every minute of her first rally (50 trailers and or motorhomes each with new people made her weekend). The "open house" sounded silly to us, but once we got into it we enjoyed it tremendously. Lots to do, and tons of free time during the weekend.

So, we will stay on board, cheap to join and the magazine gives me information each time it arrives. Probably won't go on a Caravan as again we are not joiners, but never say never. We will attend another Rally as we unexpectedly had a great time.

My suggestion if on the fence, find a nice unit and give it a shot. Our unit is always open to new members. Al Mon.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Bend , Oregon
Great post! We are out in Oregon and considering joining but may just join an Oregon group for the time being. Not sure we would be going on many of the rallies as so many are out east. I will follow the thread though and decide later!
AirSkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirSkeen View Post
Great post! We are out in Oregon and considering joining but may just join an Oregon group for the time being. Not sure we would be going on many of the rallies as so many are out east. I will follow the thread though and decide later!
The Pacific Northwest (Region 10) has a high WBCCI membership. The Washington Unit is the largest in all of WBCCI with 313 members, and the Oregon Unit is third largest with 196 members. And remember, one "member" consists of one WBCCI number, and thus in most cases a married couple is one member.

And that's only voting members, who consider the unit to be their primary unit; affiliates who may also belong to the Washington or Oregon Unit but vote in a different unit are not included in those numbers.

The smallest Unit in North America (Berkshire New York Unit) only has seven members, so I asked one time, "How many members have to be in attendance for the rally to count as an official Unit rally?" The unofficial answer I got from my Unit President was, "At least one Unit officer plus at least one other Airstream." If you can get even that many people together for a rally, then you're definitely WBCCI material.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #35
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Bud. Hope your volcano fills your needs as much as it has ours. Enjoyed your company too. We also are not joiners but did bite the bullet and joined last year. After 7 years of Airstreaming without joining ( and attending a couple of rallys as non-members) we decided we wanted to try a caravan. Since you need to be a member to even get onto the waiting list we joined. We have enjoyed a few gatherings with our unit and plan to continue membership. Our first caravan will be later this summer ( Southwest) and we'll decide if we will continue caravanning. I have never heard a negative experience from anyone we've spoken with about them. It may not be for everyone and we are still free to wander on our own agenda but so far membership has been nice for us.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
1959 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
AirSkeen, the Oregon Unit is very active and a whole lot of fun. We have close to 15 rallies a year so lots to choose from. We would love to have you join us and we have quite a few members from the Bend area as well.
Susan Taylor
2Taylors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I second the offer from 2Taylors. We have one coming up in Sept not too far from you just outside Hood River with a few openings. This one is a canning rally, but you don't have to can and there is plenty to do in the area. Oregon Unit 90, check it out
Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
This club is in desperate need of a makeover. I was looking at the "wbcci web store" site yesterday, and I was left scratching my head in amazement. Someone with MODERN marketing skills needs to step in and give them a hand. I may be reaching here, but I don't think anyone under the age of 55 is attracted by that "style". It's like they put no thought or creativity into it at all. Does anyone see a future with this club?
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
The reason for numbers on the trailers at rallies and AS parks for ID in case of emergency. Ever try to pick one AS out of others if you are a first responder in an emergency call? The numbers could save your life. We were always told to at least display them on a large piece of cardboard or similar on the street side of the trailer. With number on the trailer all the authorities have to do get general directions on your location and look for the numbers.

Hi, or don't belong to a club, travel cross country, and have the only Airstream in the camp ground; Easy to find.

I would like to know how many lives were saved by big red numbers on a trailer?????????
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The club is all about the local unit. You may need to try several to find a match. We are part of the group that formed the Southeastern Camping Unit. Our Charter members included members of "traditional" units and non-members. We took some liberty with our constitution, and were encouraged by our Region President.

The club is a collection of units which differ tremendously. One need only look at the Northwest, where the Washington Unit is very traditional and the Oregon Unit is quite the opposite. We are encouraging units to go in the direction their members like. People will join and stay where they are comfortable and have fun.

The club is changing and our leaders are slowly accepting that change. As I said, it is all about the unit and each one is unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote