Edmond , Oklahoma
Is anyone from Oklahoma in WBCCI??

Old 08-03-2015, 04:52 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There appears to be one local unit in Oklahoma which is part of Region 9. The map shows it could be around the Hartshorn to Talihina area.

http://wbcci.org/regions-units/regio...units/region-9

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #115
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
There appears to be one local unit in Oklahoma which is part of Region 9. The map shows it could be around the Hartshorn to Talihina area.
Where they stick a pin on the map has little bearing to where the club is actually "headquartered." In actual fact, the unit's web page says that most of their members are in central and northeastern Oklahoma. Since 1Boyscout is in Edmond, an OKC suburb, he's probably not far from some of the unit members.

Since I was raised in Altus, OK and went to college in Stillwater, I'm giving consideration to joining the Oklahoma Unit as an affiliate member— keeping my primary membership in the Greater New Orleans Unit— just so I can see if they ever have any rallies near my alma mater that I might like to attend. But not until 2017. I'm going to be president of my Unit starting next month, and I feel an obligation to attend my unit's activities rather than go haring off to some other unit's functions 800 miles away. But once my stint as unit president is over, I will own my own schedule again and can go visit units in other parts of the country as strike my fancy.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I specifically said the count refers to "people". Over 85% of the memberships represent couples. Yes there are a few kids and grandkids along. There were 22 kids in the youth program at the Farmington rally this year.

We have been getting between 7 and 10% of the membership attending the International is the recent past. Certainly Internationals attendees are in the minority.

The same hold true for people participating in the long national caravans.

The dues per member are calculated to cover the cost of operating the club. Not all members pay the same International dues. Life member dues are calculated and deducted from the life member fund based on the dues that were charged when they signed up.

The majority of the International dues money is spent to pay the salaries and benefits for the four ladies who operate the Jackson Center Headquarters. Another, about $100 K, goes for travel subsides for Region and International officers. There are other facility operating expenses.

A full financial statement is available quarterly to members who request a copy from Jackson Center. There is a separate budget to run the International.

The units are self sustaining and receive very little monetary benefits from the International dues. The International does buy liability insurance (about $35K) to cover the mistakes that the local unit rally organizers might become liable for. It pays for legal defense and/or payout for injuries. Without it, nobody would volunteer to run local rallies.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl View Post
I agree with TCWheels and Hittenstiehl. Some of us see value in those big red numbers, the history of both the WB and the members before us. It's a personal choice but I like belonging to Wally's club.

Thanks Blue! I get a total kick out of seeing the big red numbers on an AS on the road and then scrambling to find them in my iBooks directory. "Hey, that was Dale and Betty from Milwaukee!" My wife just rolls her eyes...
Old 08-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #118
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
The Pin is set near whoever is listed as the Membership Chair. We had to use something for the placement. And we can move it if the unit requests it. So if you see funny pin placements on the map, that is the reason, as Unit's don't really have an address.

Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Where they stick a pin on the map has little bearing to where the club is actually "headquartered." In actual fact, the unit's web page says that most of their members are in central and northeastern Oklahoma. Since 1Boyscout is in Edmond, an OKC suburb, he's probably not far from some of the unit members.

Since I was raised in Altus, OK and went to college in Stillwater, I'm giving consideration to joining the Oklahoma Unit as an affiliate member— keeping my primary membership in the Greater New Orleans Unit— just so I can see if they ever have any rallies near my alma mater that I might like to attend. But not until 2017. I'm going to be president of my Unit starting next month, and I feel an obligation to attend my unit's activities rather than go haring off to some other unit's functions 800 miles away. But once my stint as unit president is over, I will own my own schedule again and can go visit units in other parts of the country as strike my fancy.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #119

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
The Pin is set near whoever is listed as the Membership Chair. We had to use something for the placement. And we can move it if the unit requests it. So if you see funny pin placements on the map, that is the reason, as Unit's don't really have an address.

Damon
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
12,000 or 6,000? Do we count the kids and dogs? Memberships vs. people is always an issue in figuring out how many people are "members" of anything. A generation ago the Club had well over 12,000 members (not including everyone under one membership) and several years ago it was close to 5,000, even though there were many more Airstreams on the road. Looks like it has stopped dropping and may have increased a bit. It has probably stabilized at a figure that will fluctuate a bit for the next few years, but may drop again as the internet plays more of a part in membership organizations. I don't know whether the WBCCI has a good internet program, but several years ago that was in turmoil. Hope that has been solved.

I suspect the Club is more for people who don't travel a lot and want to stay within a few hundred miles of home. For we drivers who like to cover thousands of miles at a time, there's no time left for this Club. There is too much to do to do everything. Perhaps when we can't travel as far, the Club would make more sense to us and we would join and increase the average WBCCI age a few years.

Pro, maybe you'll want to run for higher office after a year as a unit official, and will in several years be a board member or officer. You never know what the future will be.

Gene
Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #121

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Pro, maybe you'll want to run for higher office after a year as a unit official, and will in several years be a board member or officer. You never know what the future will be.
I'm not planning on it. I'm only a unit officer now because I was tricked into it when I was still too new to both Airstreaming and WBCCI to know any better. But having been tricked into it, I'll honor the commitment I made because that's the right thing to do.

I'm giving serious consideration to changing my Unit membership once my stint as president is over. The Greater New Orleans Unit has 26 members (fifty-some people) but there are only maybe eight "active" members; all the rest are members on paper but we never see them. With only eight to choose from, some of whom are Region and International officers who can't hold a Unit office at the same time, that only leaves just barely enough to fill the unit officer positions. If I stay in the unit I may very likely find myself recycled back to 2nd VP as soon as my year as Prez is over, and I don't want that. Being a perpetual officer may thrill some people, but not me.

I don't need to belong to a bigger unit, just one with more active members and fewer paper members, so there's a larger pool of potential officers to choose from and everybody gets to take a break from being an officer and do their own thing for a while.

I do plan to contact all of the paper members in my Unit and find out why they don't participate, as one of the first orders of business as unit president. If it's because of something we're doing wrong, I want to know.

It may be heresy to say this, but it's more important to me that we have the right number of members who actually see some benefit from the club than a larger number of members who don't reap the club benefits. Membership can't just be a matter of numbers— more isn't always better in this case. Nearly every prospective new member wants to know, "What do I get out of it?" Every present member who can honestly say, "Nothing," just makes it harder to recruit the ones who would get something out of it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I do plan to contact all of the paper members in my Unit and find out why they don't participate, as one of the first orders of business as unit president. If it's because of something we're doing wrong, I want to know.
Good idea.

It is not quite funny to discover once you are in office and want to change things that it takes more than a year or two to change things, so you run for another office and then another. Happened to me in other organizations, happens to many. Change is usually incremental and takes time as humans do not like change. Not trying to convince you of anything, but that once there, it can be difficult to not follow through and best to be aware that can happen. The reluctant office holder may be the best office holder.

Gene
Old 08-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #123

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It is not quite funny to discover once you are in office and want to change things that it takes more than a year or two to change things, so you run for another office and then another.
One thing I learned from working for the Federal Government is that no one is irreplaceable.

Once I find out why we have so many "paper" members in our unit, if I can't fix it in a year, I prepare a report for my successor and to pass up the line to the Region and International levels, and let them take over the task— or not, if that's what they decide.

One of the worst people to have in office is the megalomaniac who genuinely believes that, "Only I can lead this organization to greatness!" I don't want to be— or become— that person.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
One of the worst people to have in office is the megalomaniac who genuinely believes that, "Only I can lead this organization to greatness!" I don't want to be— or become— that person.
Good thinking. I'll check back next year to see if you have become a megalomaniac, or just someone who wants to help a little longer, or what.

Gene
Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
The Greater New Orleans Unit has 26 members (fifty-some people) but there are only maybe eight "active" members; all the rest are members on paper but we never see them. With only eight to choose from, some of whom are Region and International officers who can't hold a Unit office at the same time, that only leaves just barely enough to fill the unit officer positions. If I stay in the unit I may very likely find myself recycled back to 2nd VP as soon as my year as Prez is over, and I don't want that. Being a perpetual officer may thrill some people, but not me.

Protag,

I suspect that your unit has demographics similar to one of the units that I belong to (as an associate member).

WBCCI membership peaked in 1978 at about 27,000 members. (That's families, not individuals.) A lot of folks who were members then are still members now, but, being in their 80s and 90s, no longer travel and are no longer very active in the club, but maintain their memberships in order to attend unit luncheons, parties, etc. with their old friends.

I was talking with the membership chairman of this unit once at a rally and was shocked to hear him comment that 2/3 of the members no longer traveled in their trailers but maintained their membership in what had become, to them, strictly a social club.

This does have an effect on the vitality of the club--as you say, not very many people to serve as unit officers--but I can't say that it's a bad thing, either. Such loyalty is commendable. After all, sooner or later we are all going to be old, unless we die first. The key to maintaining unit vitality is to continually bring in new, younger members. (Which some units, like my primary unit (Wisconsin) are doing very well.)

I have attended many luncheons and parties with these octogenarians and nonagenarians, and they have great stories to tell. They were Airstreaming in the days before GPS, cell phones, and all the modern stuff we take for granted. There was a lot more "adventure" back then--and they created the legend that we aspire to today.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #126

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
A lot of folks who were members then are still members now, but, being in their 80s and 90s, no longer travel and are no longer very active in the club, but maintain their memberships in order to attend unit luncheons, parties, etc. with their old friends.
That would be fine if they at least attended the luncheons, but in my unit the paper members don't even do that.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4