Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We went to our first International in Farmington this year. I wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt to every event since it was very hot. Most of the top echelon wore their white shirt, red tie, and blue hat for special events like the opening and flag parade and I presume the closing event.

We came with 21 other trailers from our group (4CU) and we hung out at the parking lot in the evenings. We met nice folks during the day from other parts of the country.

We do not intend to go to another International unless one comes out West again. It was not an event that would be worth our effort to drive across the US to attend.

Having said that, we are still planning on being part of a WBCCI Caravan to Alaska next year.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:22 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Well, I may soon be one of those people who choose not to WBCCI. The new Region president has announced the uniform of the day for the region rally, and it requires unit officers to wear a red necktie.

I made it very plain on multiple occasions that I do not enjoy wearing a necktie and haven't worn one since December 23rd, 1989— I remember that date because it's the first time I saw snow in New Orleans. I don't even intend to wear a tie at my own funeral, let alone while I'm still alive to kick and scream over it.

I have informed the region president that I will quit the club before I wear a necktie, but haven't heard back from him about it. If he insists on neckties, I'll insist on quitting. My resolve is stronger than his on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We went to our first International in Farmington this year. I wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt to every event since it was very hot. Most of the top echelon wore their white shirt, red tie, and blue hat for special events like the opening and flag parade and I presume the closing event.
Good grief!

I don't remember seeing a tie (and precious few blue berets) at one of our region rallies (Region 7) in the last few years. I carried our unit flag at the DuQuoin, IL and Sedalia, MO international rallies, and both years they waived the red ties because the weather was hot. (I did wear my blue beret on those occasions.)

I'm with you, Protag, stick to your guns. I might suggest a middle-of-the-road approach to the region rally problem. Rather than quitting the club--thereby depriving your unit of your valuable services as Unit President--you might just simply not wear a tie as "ordered" .

That would put the ball back in the region president's court. All he can do is file a grievance, and the worst case outcome of that is that you would get kicked out of the club. I always thought it would be more fun to get kicked out than just to quit. But I suspect under the current regime nothing would happen. I think the WBCCI has gotten smarter since 5-10 years ago when politically motivated grievances cost the club far too many members.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I left my state unit because of all the focus on politics and religion. Transferring to the SECU has rekindled my interest in maintaining my club membership.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #74
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Stick to your guns PRO on this one. I stand with you. OR as a suggestion you could always wear a tie as a belt. Some of us might need to tie 2 of them together and that could get pretty expensive. Do they insist that it HAS to be around your neck.

As for me I also hate ties with a passion.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:12 AM   #75
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Stick to your guns PRO on this one. I stand with you.
Much appreciated. The Region president has just a few minutes ago agreed to make an exception for me, so I'll be the only one not wearing a tie. He doesn't want to lose a Unit president over something so picayune at the beginning of his term. Pun intended but maybe needs explanation— the region rally is being held at Picayune, MS, and the word "picayune" means petty or worthless.

But even though he's making an exception, he's not changing the dress code for everyone else. He's an old-timer and likes formality.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #76
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
It shouldn't be hard to fashion a thong from a red necktie. Leave a little draped over the belt line and problem solved!

More seriously, we were members for a while. Was not willing to pay money to rubber stamp an "election." Left. At the time it really seemed a little like a pyramid thing ... spend so long doing these things, then move up a level, then another level, etc. Also, I was NOT going to wear a nametag on a weekend. I wear a badge with my name and picture at work. Will. Not. Do. It. On. Weekends.
Can't condone that sort of behavior.

Maybe it's different now. That would be nice.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #77
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'll be on the edge of my seat to see how long this will last. Of course SOME are OK with small formalities and may welcome them. Good for them but NOT ME

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Name tags can be a way if recognizing people you have talked to but never met in person. It's a good way to break the ice for a conversation. Sometimes I think there are those on the forum who want to remain unknown but still participate in a social site. Something to hide or be ashamed of? These people are not formal club members. Best for the forums, better if they stay away from the Byam club.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #79
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
Also, I was NOT going to wear a nametag on a weekend. I wear a badge with my name and picture at work. Will. Not. Do. It. On. Weekends.
Can't condone that sort of behavior.

Maybe it's different now. That would be nice.
That part is no different. Attendees at recent Internationals are probably aware of the "name tag police." Unfortunately, she's in my Unit. If you don't wear your name tag, you're fined a dollar, which is then put in the kitty for the "Cents for Kids" charity, or whatever it's called. A new fine each day you don't wear it, besides.

Wearing a name tag makes sense at a Region rally or International where you'll meet people you don't know. But at a Unit rally where everyone knows everyone else already, it's stupid.

And making those name tags costs the club actual money, that could be better spent on something more important. Especially since Region officers and International officers get special name badges with a different-colored background in addition to having the name of the office they hold, so every International officer has at least three badges to choose from, one from the Unit, one from the Region, and one from the International level.

They say "rank has its privileges" but this particular privilege seems pretty rank to me!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
NOT ME! Some like the formality and the prestige that comes withe the Red Tie, Hat, white shirt and etc. Don't tell me what to wear. For me, I like the friendship and camping experience. I get up when I want and eat when I want; not that I have to eat and do at specific times. Let me just have the "Happy Hour" and dinner with the rest of the time for me. If there are plans that I want to partake, so be it.
I was once told, "don't let ________ run you, you will eventually dislike it".
Mike
Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #81
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
I understand the "why" of a name tag. It's exactly the same reason for wearing one at work, and that's precisely the problem.

It isn't a huge deal, but trying to shake someone down for not wearing enough flair is bad form, if we can forgive the Office Space reference.

I guess it would be better if these sorts of things were made known up front, before you threw the better part of a Benjy at the club. Then expectations would be more in line with reality and people wouldn't get as frustrated by these sorts of nits.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
About 12 years or so ago, we bought a 2000 - 30' Excella from a couple in Florida who were members of an Airstream Park just north of Pensacola, FL.

We were coerced into joining WBCCI at one of the first "rallys" we went to at this park. When we were new members and not really aware of the politics involved with several long time members, we thought it was prety neat. That lasted for a couple months.

Then some things came up that brought the politics into play....we did not have our WBCCI numbers on our trailer. At one "rally" some guy who was with the national WBCCI outfit was there. I was informed that since he was in attendance that my numbers had to be displayed. It got to be a rather nasty weekend, as we were pretty well "shunned", by the members who seemed to have to bow to whoever this guy was.

I cancelled the membership, and will never rejoin WBCCI. I like the Airstream product, but the politics involved with these cliches are beyond awful.

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

PS: Besides that, I've never seen a picture of anyone wearing the "cherished" blue beret that has even a remote clue how to properly wear a beret!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That part is no different. Attendees at recent Internationals are probably aware of the "name tag police." Unfortunately, she's in my Unit. If you don't wear your name tag, you're fined a dollar, which is then put in the kitty for the "Cents for Kids" charity, or whatever it's called. A new fine each day you don't wear it, besides.

Wearing a name tag makes sense at a Region rally or International where you'll meet people you don't know. But at a Unit rally where everyone knows everyone else already, it's stupid.

And making those name tags costs the club actual money, that could be better spent on something more important. Especially since Region officers and International officers get special name badges with a different-colored background in addition to having the name of the office they hold, so every International officer has at least three badges to choose from, one from the Unit, one from the Region, and one from the International level.

They say "rank has its privileges" but this particular privilege seems pretty rank to me!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
Well,
I just paid my membership fee online so now we can attend the International Rally legitimately. Now I just need to come up with an act for the talent show.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
We are on the fence about joining. In our case we are not real social, group-activity kinds of people, so probably would just get an at-large membership and wouldn't attend any rallies. But, we think the red numbers are pretty cool (assuming they can be easily removed without a trace -- vinyl overlay seems to be the way to go.) Having just written all this I quess joining just to display red number is a waste of money.

*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote