Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #211
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
As I was driving home from AZ the other day, I met a few airstreams and just thought it would be fun to have the ability to take their numbers and send them a quick text to say hello....

When it first crossed my mind, I thought its just not possible. But then I remembered that text messages don't just work when you have the person phone number that will also work if you have an email. So if all WBCCI members were assigned an airstream email address that they put into their phones, it would work.

So if a member had an member number of 4589, their email could be "4589@wbcci.org" As a member of WBCCI I would know that everyones email was configure like that so when I met them on a highway, I could just take their member number down and send then a quick text to say hello. If they were members who were interested in communication, they would have their WBCCI number configured in their phone and answer me, if not i'm out nothing. It's sort of like flashing ones lights to an airstream - sometimes you get a response some times you don't.

Anyway, It's just food for thought.....

Old 03-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #212
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you go to some place like FastSigns, you can get removable and reusable cling-film signs made up with big red numbers and a copy of the WBCCI roundel. Apply them when you go to a rally or on a caravan, remove them otherwise.
Interesting. This would also allow for the numbers to be a bit smaller so they look a bit more attractive. Wonder if this film would stay on with wind at highway speed?

Old 03-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #213
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
If they cling, why not just stick them onto the inside of the windows 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
As I was driving home from AZ the other day, I met a few airstreams and just thought it would be fun to have the ability to take their numbers and send them a quick text to say hello....

When it first crossed my mind, I thought its just not possible. But then I remembered that text messages don't just work when you have the person phone number that will also work if you have an email. So if all WBCCI members were assigned an airstream email address that they put into their phones, it would work.

So if a member had an member number of 4589, their email could be "4589@wbcci.org" As a member of WBCCI I would know that everyones email was configure like that so when I met them on a highway, I could just take their member number down and send then a quick text to say hello. If they were members who were interested in communication, they would have their WBCCI number configured in their phone and answer me, if not i'm out nothing. It's sort of like flashing ones lights to an airstream - sometimes you get a response some times you don't.

Anyway, It's just food for thought.....

Love this idea!
Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Interesting. This would also allow for the numbers to be a bit smaller so they look a bit more attractive. Wonder if this film would stay on with wind at highway speed?

From personal experience my answer is yes - these cling sheets do stay on at highway speeds. Also from personal experience, follow Protag's advice - remove if not using. I have ugly corrosion on both end caps from leaving these on an entire season. Not sure why the reaction, but it's not something you just buff out. Only fix is to replace the aluminum - or - as I hope to do in the future, cover with some awesome aluminum patches which I am designing as we speak 😀
Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Being a member of both the Forum and WBCCI, I was able to get the SAME number for both clubs. Not wanting to display both red and blue, I went to my local sign shop and selected "OLD GLORY" to ave my numbers cut from.
When I showed up at a Wally rally,I was son questioned of my choice. The comment was; "so you are one of them" , yes, I am.
Proud to be an American.
Mike
Old 03-24-2016, 01:13 PM   #217
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:

So if a member had an member number of 4589, their email could be "4589@wbcci.org" As a member of WBCCI I would know that everyones email was configure like that so when I met them on a highway, I could just take their member number down and send then a quick text to say hello.
This is actually a great idea! I especially would like it if a registry could be included to forward my 24260@wbcci.net email to my dan@bihary.com address. This is a member benefit that should be implemented. Can you hear me ECC committee members?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:40 PM   #218
2 Rivet Member

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
West Linn , Oregon
I went to a Fast Signs, got a panel that was Aluminized on one size that I had them cut to size. We had them apply numbers and I applied the round Wally emblem. We put it in the window when we are at rallies. Store it in the rig when we are not. That has worked for us.
I should add tgat wd have had several trailers that we put numbers on, we devised this system when we went to an Airstream Motorhome, but it would have worked for a trailer too.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We put the WBCCI red numbers and roundel on two pieces of plexiglas with suction cups for the 23D front and rear. We may never use them as the local rallies are informal in nature.

We had them attached to the Classic skin for International last year.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #220
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"When it first crossed my mind, I thought its just not possible. But then I remembered that text messages don't just work when you have the person phone number that will also work if you have an email. So if all WBCCI members were assigned an airstream email address that they put into their phones, it would work." ARRL does this. If you know someone's call sign you can send them and email via ARRL. Mine, for example, is kb0zke@arrl.org. The email is automatically forwarded to your regular email account, so if you are using the edress provided by your Internet provider and change your provider all you have to do is change where ARRL sends your email.

Don't know how to set up such a service, but I would assume that it is fairly easy and inexpensive to do.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #221
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I put mine on the windows after I found out when I removed them on previous AS, the clear coat came off with them.........just sayin'. . . regards, Craig
Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . I put mine on the windows after I found out when I removed them on previous AS, the clear coat came off with them.........just sayin'. . . regards, Craig

Hmmm...I can certainly understand not wanting to deface the beautiful symmetry of the end caps but think I like the idea of the next generation of ghost numbers that I may have created by putting my big red numbers on my 20. I plan to go to Escanaba in 2017 because it's so close to home but that's probably the only WBCCI activity we'll ever do. I just love the numbers!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:55 PM   #223
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We believe that the big red numbers are part of owning an Airstream. It is understandable that some folks have difficulty with the organization and others have the desire to maintain their coach in pristine condition. The frequency of 2ftitis and the financial ability of many to change trailers to meet their current preference adds to the trend. Also believe that linking the number to the individual instead of the trailer adds to the problem. While ghost numbers add to the character for some, they are a flaw to others. We rationalize the issue by planning to own Glimmer until she has outlived us. Who knows if she will be a family tradition or someone else's, but since we will not take the numbers with us, they can remain part of her and need not be a ghost.

What ever your choice, enjoy traveling and using your coach. Smiles are good. Pat
Old 03-27-2016, 06:56 PM   #224
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Who knows if she will be a family tradition or someone else's, but since we will not take the numbers with us, they can remain part of her and need not be a ghost.
It doesn't generally work that way. The Big Red Numbers™ belong to you, not to the trailer, and there is no guarantee that the new owners of your trailer will be able to get your numbers.

It does happen sometimes that a new member with an old trailer can get the same numbers that were on the trailer before, but your membership number will be held in abeyance for a couple of years after you leave the club before they're re-issued to someone else.

But it's a nice thought anyway.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote