Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
safari57's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,790
Images: 10
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Great idea for a thread rickandsandi

With still over 6,000+ members that is a lot of camping and pleasurable moments to work our way through before we could ever say the club is not worth participating in. I don't think I have enough life left to work my way through camping with that many wonderful people.

For a lot of folks the little things count - campfires in the evenings, good people with like minds when it comes to their choice of trailer/MoHo, no agendas other than relaxing and getting "away from it all". Who said what to whom and why is not relevant to going camping so let that sort itself out as it will, but lets just go camping is the general consensus.

There are some differences of opinion on how the club should/could be managed but show me any club that has 100% satisfaction.

For us the history of the club and the stories of Airstreams touring the land far and wide (does far mean north/south and wide mean what it means when I look in the mirror?) with people who are engaged in the art of camping and seeing whatever unfolds over the next horizon?

We joined the 4CU because the founding father/mother units were of like mind = get out and have fun, forget the hubbub and just have yourself another margiball and, why, some even get out late at night and watch the stars with the dogs I'm told........

We also see the Airforums as a camping facilitator and the ultimate campfire. It serves a tremendous service by putting us together with fellow 'streamers and activities we'd never have known about.

So for those who choose to not join, IMHO, they are missing the opportunity to meet some outstanding people. If decisions to not join or quit are being made over a few highly visible issues where statements are often made that appear to be relevant to the whole instead of just a few incidents and people, then that is disappointing. They are missing the point and the fun.

I have quit clubs in the past over a matter of principle and to show my disappointment with decisions being made but then later realized that those who stayed behind were able to correct the situation and things were back on track. Had I stuck it out I'd of continued to enjoy the large fun and helped fix the small problems. Oh well.........

Barry
__________________

__________________
Barry & Donna
Life is short - so is the door on a '51 Flying Cloud (ouch)
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

 
Southwestern , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,669
On, Wisconsin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited34 View Post
Still debating on joining, wife wants to, I'm not so sure, we do read lots of stuff on the forum and will make up our minds one of these years..
Steve and Jan,

By all means do join the Wisconsin Unit! Don't worry about all the WBCCI politics you see on these forums. That's all International stuff which you don't generally need to pay any attention to--and to tell you the truth, most members don't!

In the Wisconsin Unit we don't take ourselves too seriously, we just have a lot of fun together. It shows, too--according to Jerry Larson's "State of the WBCCI" presentation we are the fastest growing "traditional" unit in the WBCCI (behind a few "non-traditional" units like WDCU and 4CU).

Check out our web site at WBCCI Wisconsin - Region 7, Unit 116 You can read the last few issues of our award-winning newsletter, the Badger Bulletin, and get some idea of the kinds of things we do.

And, if you're so inclined. . . there's a membership application there, too!

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi

P S - Kevin & Matt - thanks for putting in good words for the Wisconsin Unit
__________________

__________________
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
73Overlander's Avatar
 
1973 27' Overlander
Centralia , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 68
We have never regretted joining the WBCCI, the Washington Unit, or the VAC.

Is the club perfect? No. But then nothing in life is, and a club can't be improved by those who choose to not belong.

As a side observation, I have noticed that some of the folks who complain the loudest about WBCCI are people who are not actually members of the club. That is a rather sad thing in my view.
__________________
Cameron Bailey
1973 Overlander
Washington Unit, VAC
www.cameron-bailey.com
73Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,756
I'm very happy that we joined.

We've met a great bunch of people that are a joy to be around and gone places and seen things we would not have otherwise.
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Overlander View Post
We have never regretted joining the WBCCI, the Washington Unit, or the VAC.

Is the club perfect? No. But then nothing in life is, and a club can't be improved by those who choose to not belong.

As a side observation, I have noticed that some of the folks who complain the loudest about WBCCI are people who are not actually members of the club. That is a rather sad thing in my view.
I want to say I could not agree more....

The club I know is rarely the one I see portrayed. I read so much negative stuff from the same authors. I am glad someone else has noticed it too. I almost feel ashamed that my dues is so low for what I have gotten out of it. Our unit's rally schedule ended three weeks ago, but some of us are getting to get to gather this weekend, informally for a last hurrah before winter hits our region. I am already excited for next years rallies and I hope some out there on the fence might come out and give it a try.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #20
Always Airstreaming!
 
rickandsandi's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,114
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited34 View Post
Still debating on joining, wife wants to, I'm not so sure, we do read lots of stuff on the forum and will make up our minds one of these years..

Steve- For the small annual cost I would encourage you to join. Just the big red numbers on your AS are wirth it. You don't have to go to International, just enjoy the parts of the club you like. I love it when we are traveling on the roads and see another AS with WBCCI numbers, we look them up and give them a call or email; new friends!
__________________
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
 
99Limited34's Avatar
 
1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Steve and Jan,

By all means do join the Wisconsin Unit! Don't worry about all the WBCCI politics you see on these forums. That's all International stuff which you don't generally need to pay any attention to--and to tell you the truth, most members don't!

In the Wisconsin Unit we don't take ourselves too seriously, we just have a lot of fun together. It shows, too--according to Jerry Larson's "State of the WBCCI" presentation we are the fastest growing "traditional" unit in the WBCCI (behind a few "non-traditional" units like WDCU and 4CU).

Check out our web site at WBCCI Wisconsin - Region 7, Unit 116 You can read the last few issues of our award-winning newsletter, the Badger Bulletin, and get some idea of the kinds of things we do.

And, if you're so inclined. . . there's a membership application there, too!

Hope to see you down the road,
Nuvi

P S - Kevin & Matt - thanks for putting in good words for the Wisconsin Unit
Thanks for the info Nuvi, we're considering it
__________________
1999 Airstream 34' Limited (The Cottage)

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
Always Airstreaming!
 
rickandsandi's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,114
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Fresh Air!

Wow... thank you everyone for your posts. It is so nice to hear good stuff for once. Keep the great news coming for others to read and before you know it we will have a 100 new members who will be so happy they joined and go to a rally and met more folks like you!
__________________
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
hampstead38's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,087
Blog Entries: 22
Here's why we haven't joined yet.

1. Our Overlander is probably a year away from "camp worthy." Our focus (and finances) will be on getting the '67 on the road.

2. We did join Tin Can Tourists and are supporting members of this forum. Why? TCT allowed us to post an ad, no obligation. Joining seemed like the least we could do. The Air Forums has been an invaluable aid thus far. Again, we were able to participate "no strings attached." Making a donation seemed like the least we could do in return. I don't see an immediate benefit to WBCCI membership.

3. I'm allergic to drama. Seriously, I think it is very hard to get an accurate impressions of a social club based on Internet forums. Some folks seem to like the WBCCI, particularly the "alternative" units. Some folks seem not so thrilled. I think the only way to know is to go camping with a unit... and that isn't going to happen until we resolve the issue in #1.

4. I'm a little apprehensive about the Blue Book and Appendix and what seem like a lot of rules. The point of camping for us is to escape structure and formality. Of course, until we actually do a rally or event, it's hard to know where the paper rules start and stop. This said, when I'm in relaxed camping "life is easy" mode, I'm not inclined to worry much about arranging my flags.

5. The red numbers don't matter to me. Really. Growing up in rural Montana, I don't ever remember seeing an Airstream. We had a slide-in truck camper for years followed by a serious of "sob" camper trailers. This includes the "Aristocrat," a trailer now a family legend due to its length of service and generally horrific condition. It's probably now a Superfund site. Back to the point, my wife and I decided we liked the design and style of the Airstreams and we thought vintage would be "cool" for an extended hiatus. We were never a part of the Airstream culture we really don't understand the whole red number/WBCCI mystique. I'm not saying this is good or bad... it's just foreign.

When our '67 is rolling down the highway, we'll make it a point to check our a rally or unit gathering or some other event. My wife will know in about five or ten minutes if the situation is a "fit." We're both relatively quiet folks. Perhaps because my job is so public, I'm more of an introvert in private life. If we like the WBCCI based on the people we meet in real life, we'll join. If not, we'll wish the organization the best of luck and do something else.

Really, folks, there are a lot of wonderful people on the Air Forums. No matter how strongly supportive (or non-supportive) you are of the WBCCI, no one can say what is someone else's cup of tea. I guess everyone just has to try for themselves.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
 
99Limited34's Avatar
 
1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Here's why we haven't joined yet.

1. Our Overlander is probably a year away from "camp worthy." Our focus (and finances) will be on getting the '67 on the road.

2. We did join Tin Can Tourists and are supporting members of this forum. Why? TCT allowed us to post an ad, no obligation. Joining seemed like the least we could do. The Air Forums has been an invaluable aid thus far. Again, we were able to participate "no strings attached." Making a donation seemed like the least we could do in return. I don't see an immediate benefit to WBCCI membership.

3. I'm allergic to drama. Seriously, I think it is very hard to get an accurate impressions of a social club based on Internet forums. Some folks seem to like the WBCCI, particularly the "alternative" units. Some folks seem not so thrilled. I think the only way to know is to go camping with a unit... and that isn't going to happen until we resolve the issue in #1.

4. I'm a little apprehensive about the Blue Book and Appendix and what seem like a lot of rules. The point of camping for us is to escape structure and formality. Of course, until we actually do a rally or event, it's hard to know where the paper rules start and stop. This said, when I'm in relaxed camping "life is easy" mode, I'm not inclined to worry much about arranging my flags.

5. The red numbers don't matter to me. Really. Growing up in rural Montana, I don't ever remember seeing an Airstream. We had a slide-in truck camper for years followed by a serious of "sob" camper trailers. This includes the "Aristocrat," a trailer now a family legend due to its length of service and generally horrific condition. It's probably now a Superfund site. Back to the point, my wife and I decided we liked the design and style of the Airstreams and we thought vintage would be "cool" for an extended hiatus. We were never a part of the Airstream culture we really don't understand the whole red number/WBCCI mystique. I'm not saying this is good or bad... it's just foreign.

When our '67 is rolling down the highway, we'll make it a point to check our a rally or unit gathering or some other event. My wife will know in about five or ten minutes if the situation is a "fit." We're both relatively quiet folks. Perhaps because my job is so public, I'm more of an introvert in private life. If we like the WBCCI based on the people we meet in real life, we'll join. If not, we'll wish the organization the best of luck and do something else.

Really, folks, there are a lot of wonderful people on the Air Forums. No matter how strongly supportive (or non-supportive) you are of the WBCCI, no one can say what is someone else's cup of tea. I guess everyone just has to try for themselves.
Well written Hampstead..I agree with a lot that you have said...Especially about the Blue Book and all the rules... We have enough rules in our everyday lives, when we hitch up the Airstream and try to get away from it all, that means getting away from the rules too..We try to find peace and relaxation...

I can see the fun of getting together with other people, but caravanning is not for us.

I'm not into the red numbers either and even if we do join I wouldn't have them on my trailer, I paid to much for this baby to mess it up like that...

No disrespect to those who do, but to each their own....I still think it's a worthwhile organization, just to many rules and way to much politics for us.
__________________
1999 Airstream 34' Limited (The Cottage)

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
whitsend's Avatar
 
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 612
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Limited34 View Post
Still debating on joining, wife wants to, I'm not so sure, we do read lots of stuff on the forum and will make up our minds one of these years..
Steve - Please don't let what you read here on the Forums be your deciding factor. Find a unit with which you think ya'll might have something in common. Go with an open mind. If that 1st unit does not work out, fish for another one. My observation - I've made the best, most valued, most lasting friends in my unit than in any other organization I've ever known, including my church(es). And that's what I like best about my Airstream, and not just on Thursdays either (joke folks, please, no letters). Airstream folks are the best!!
__________________
I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 AM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Steve - Please don't let what you read here on the Forums be your deciding factor. Find a unit with which you think ya'll might have something in common. Go with an open mind. If that 1st unit does not work out, fish for another one. My observation - I've made the best, most valued, most lasting friends in my unit than in any other organization I've ever known, including my church(es). And that's what I like best about my Airstream, and not just on Thursdays either (joke folks, please, no letters). Airstream folks are the best!!
I want to agree with that totally. I am 42, my wife is 43, and we have a 10 and a 2 year old daughter. We are on the young end of the demographics bar for the WBCCI. This past year has been the best one that we all can remember. From April thru now we managed to attend a rally every three weeks. We are working folks, kids in school, but just made the commitment to going. Most of our events were with the WDCU, and if you cannot have fun with that group, well than in my opinion the club really does not need you too badly. From that group we have developed very close personal relationships. People we care deeply about and view as our family. I am not going to name names for that would all take too long to thank everyone properly for having shared their free time with us. They all know who they are. We have made friends outside of our unit too, and cherish those friendships too. I have never in my life felt as for-filled as I am due to my WBCCI experiences.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109_resize.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	70038
As you can see here, I am not the typical club member. One would think that I belong at Sturges and not a WBCCI event, but this club has been exactly where I feel comfortable. Looking at my picture, do you think I am the type to read a book full of rules and actually care? I read the BOOK and already know what is right and wrong. My parents taught me how to conduct myself and the blue book can just sit there. I hear about all these rules. I hear about too many rules, however I never see them being applied. I hear it has happened, and the same rules reverse the ruling of the original rules. But frankly, Frank could care less about all the rules.

I also want to point out that the WBCCI is by no means in competition to the Air Forums. The two can work together if folks allow them to. This forum is a huge asset to the entire community and thank God it is here. If you have not donated in a while, please do, let's keep this forum going too. Two options is always better than one in my opinion. Don't forget the Tin Can Tourists, they are a great group too.

I feel so strongly about the WBCCI that I put on extra bold, extra large red numbers...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	70036
I am one proud dude. And if anyone thinks that lowered the value of my trailer than good for you, I think you are wrong. This probably brought the value down too...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	70037
It increased the value to me.

I have stated this before... Hampstead38 take note.... I will pay all rally fees to anyone, not a WBCCI member, to any Washington DC Unit rally. I do not want to hear about any rules against this or anything of the sort.... I am a carpenter with shallow pockets that believes so strongly about his club, that I will pay your way. A no obligation trial rally... how could you go wrong?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,636
I'm not yet a member, but I have been warmly invited to several different rallies to see what it's all about. I have been invited to these rallies by happy WBCCI members who are also happy AirForums contributors. I see no conflict at all between the two.


I am looking forward to attending my first rally in February, the Texas State Vintage Rally being held near San Antonio, which is being sponsored by several of the Texas WBCCI units. I am also planning on attending the Cherry Blossom Rally in April, which is being put on by the Washington DC Unit.


I will see first-hand the truth about the WBCCI, and I already know that I will be welcomed warmly and have a great time. I will make up my own mind about the Club, rather than listening to what is said on these Forums, and I am confident that I will like what I see from these WBCCI club members, because they have been nothing but gracious and kind in my dealings so far.

I encourage others to do the same. Check out rallies near you. Meet with local WBCCI units that are near you. Make up your own mind, not by reading these Forums, but by socializing with REAL PEOPLE out there in the world.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #28
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,124
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
I look forward to every rally that I attend with the club. My wife and I always have a great time visiting new places with our WBCCI family. Our rally list this year included the RMVAC rally in Colorado, the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and a half dozen others. Sitting around the campfire at night with your friends, having fun is what it is all about.

I don't think you should judge the club by what you read here. You need to attend a rally in your area and make you decision based on what you see and do. The 4CU gets more members at rallies then anyplace else. Please contact me if you would like to attend one of our rallies.

See you around the campfire.
__________________

__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's right with WBCCI? streamer23 WBCCI Forum 22 10-20-2008 07:07 PM
NC wbcci jpeterman Off Topic Forum 14 09-13-2008 03:06 PM
WBCCI #'s TROPHYJIM2 WBCCI Forum 24 08-08-2008 10:36 AM
Wbcci? Fun-Lovin WBCCI Forum 2 08-14-2003 08:09 PM
Wbcci stellablu WBCCI Forum 3 08-13-2003 08:20 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.