Old 09-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
To all WBCCI members

This is the last of three WBCCI stat threads I am submitting for now.

Here are the other two;

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ats-26444.html

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hip-26434.html

My intentions in bringing forth this information is to show other WBCCI members and any officers viewing these threads cold hard facts.It's well known for years that the club has been struggling but data is hard to come by so I've compiled my own.I would hope that this info can be used in a POSITIVE way to expediate the changes needed going forward.

Here are the total units over the years

1984-174 units
1985-1991 175 units
1992-1993 174 units
1994-175 units
1995-174 units
1996-171 units
1997-169 units
1998-167 units
1999-166 units
2000-164 units
2001-161 units
2002-157 units
2003-150 units
2004-146 units
2005-143 units
2006-140 units

As you can see,over the last 11 years the club has lost 34 UNITS or around 20% of total units from 1996.
The time for action is NOW.Please hold the window dressing,we've seen it before.We need a PLAN OF ATTACK and not a bunch of lip service.
Sorry to be so blunt but I feel it had to be said.This is not an attempt to bash WBCCI,it is quite the contrary.I want the club to survive.

Hope to see you down the road

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thank you for your insight, Streamer23. We all need to support efforts to make the changes necessary to breath some new life into WBCCI.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
Perhaps more worrying is: (a) new units are still being chartered where existing units operate, which just tells you something about flexibility of those units and (b) the quorum for existing units has been lowered, potentially masking more units that are about to pop as well.

The club is undergoing a major change which probably started in the mid 80s. At the end of it, I suspect something vibrant will come out. It'll have less units and less regions yet more active members than today.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
_

. , .
thanks for the data mining mike,

threads like yours take a lot of time and effort to produce

and should be read over with thoughfulness.

another data point 2 consider...

regarding why the current wb matters less and less...

at one time wb members accounted for 75% of new airstream sales...

currently wb members are tied to just 20% of new air sales...

and most new owners care less and less about the old club...

the train has left the station...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
One small step onto the soapbox...

Streamer-

Thanks again for all your efforts and data massaging.. It is highlight of dialogue where feelings trump data too often...

While 2Air has basis for beliefs, I am one who hopes that WB club cna change rather than melt down.. We are members, belong to a unit of 35, and recent rally required 3 units combined and over 90 "members" to achieve attendance of 10 to meet guarantee for club room on a nice August weekend... Meanwhile, the NorCal Forum Rally in 2 weeks will probably see over 30 Airstreams, many of whom are WBCCI members but not attending the Region 12 Rally for a week in Woodland this month.. For those that urge "pitch in and fix from within..", I'll simply say it is being tried in places, but rally structures and rules and location setting and schedules are more rigid in some areas than others...

Among the priorities demonstrated by NEU and others, what works is:
1. Recognition that not all good members are retired or independently wealthy. Allow for weekend rallies within range of members that don't consume precious vacation. (Hosting a rally here must include Thursday start date, for example, and anything above Unit level is a week minimum..)
2. Not everyone enjoys all communal meals and donuts and hot dogs. You can have a rally with pot luck and individuals feeding themselves once in a while. Socialize around cocktail hour and snacks, or planned off-site activities...
3. Fairgrounds and other low-overhead campsites are appealing to the retired, but not those seeking the sights or natural wonders, or even a pool and hot tub.. Vary the locations to include different kinds of places.
4. Use and encourage electronic communications to create mini-caravans and rallies on short notice, so that even a couple Airstreams might spend a week together on the road, or at the beach, instead of discouraging.
5. Push Airstream to again include membership with new trailer purchase, and encourage HQ in JC to call each non-renewal and ask for list of reasons they opted out... Feed those remarks back to regions and units and ask for changes. Don't assume member was at fault or wrong...

To those who'd say these behaviors don't reflect the kind of club they joined and want to perpetuate, I would refer you to Streamer's statistics and 2Air's summary analysis..

Stepping down... Looking forward to Lake San Antonio...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
John,that's a great well thought out post.Karma coming your way.Have you thought of posting it over on the WBCCI official forums?

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
WBCCI is not alone in the decline of membership. Across the country membership is down across the board. Private clubs must work very hard to keep membership at a profitable point.
Service organizations such as Kiwanis and Rotary have seen similar decline in membership.
The time we used to spend... or our parents used to spend, doing social and service related projects have diminished.
Just yesterday I heard someone say at the bicycle ride rest stop at mile 63 that retirement had spoiled his weekends.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
I was scanning through the rally section of the latest BB comparing our regionís upcoming events with other regions and noticed something odd. The number of non camping monthly events at restaurants seems to be growing. This is to be expected during the winter months but September and October is prime camping weather.

Our WBCCI renewal is due and I am desperately trying to find a reason to pay it. Does anyone know of an active unit in central Ohio? Is anyone in the central Ohio area interested in forming a new unit based on some of the ideas Condoluminum posted above?

Terry
Old 10-08-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by safarinight
I was scanning through the rally section of the latest BB comparing our regionís upcoming events with other regions and noticed something odd. The number of non camping monthly events at restaurants seems to be growing. This is to be expected during the winter months but September and October is prime camping weather.

Our WBCCI renewal is due and I am desperately trying to find a reason to pay it. Does anyone know of an active unit in central Ohio? Is anyone in the central Ohio area interested in forming a new unit based on some of the ideas Condoluminum posted above?

Terry

Hi Terry,

You sound an awful lot like another poster we had here named Bowling Alone.Are you still with Unit #080?

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
WBCCI is not alone in the decline of membership. Across the country membership is down across the board. Private clubs must work very hard to keep membership at a profitable point.
Service organizations such as Kiwanis and Rotary have seen similar decline in membership.
The time we used to spend... or our parents used to spend, doing social and service related projects have diminished.
Just yesterday I heard someone say at the bicycle ride rest stop at mile 63 that retirement had spoiled his weekends.
Glen, many organizations have declined due to forums such as this one. I have restored many cars and boats over the years. The first thing I would do is join the British Car Club or the Mustang Club or what club supported the project I had at hand. I now join an Internet forum and have eager participants ready and willing to assist with information to solve my problem with documented archives of past posts. Pre Internet you had to join WBCCI to learn about the trailer and how to set up to tow, where to camp and so on. Ham radio was hit hard by the Internet, which led to some great innovation but also showed how old the technology was. The Internet is such a doubled edged sword and has had a great affect on many organizations. I also think the Internet may have caused a clash of cultures in the WBCCI.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
Glen, many organizations have declined due to forums such as this one. I have restored many cars and boats over the years. The first thing I would do is join the British Car Club or the Mustang Club or what club supported the project I had at hand. I now join an Internet forum and have eager participants ready and willing to assist with information to solve my problem with documented archives of past posts. Pre Internet you had to join WBCCI to learn about the trailer and how to set up to tow, where to camp and so on. Ham radio was hit hard by the Internet, which led to some great innovation but also showed how old the technology was. The Internet is such a doubled edged sword and has had a great affect on many organizations. I also think the Internet may have caused a clash of cultures in the WBCCI.

Jim
I agree with both you guys.I think in future years this may revert back just a little like it used to be.At that point,the people joining organizations would have grown up with the internet.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
""Recognition that not all good members are retired or independently wealthy. Allow for weekend rallies within range of members that don't consume precious vacation. (Hosting a rally here must include Thursday start date, for example, and anything above Unit level is a week minimum..)
2. Not everyone enjoys all communal meals and donuts and hot dogs. You can have a rally with pot luck and individuals feeding themselves once in a while. Socialize around cocktail hour and snacks, or planned off-site activities...
3. Fairgrounds and other low-overhead campsites are appealing to the retired, but not those seeking the sights or natural wonders, or even a pool and hot tub.. Vary the locations to include different kinds of places.
4. Use and encourage electronic communications to create mini-caravans and rallies on short notice, so that even a couple Airstreams might spend a week together on the road, or at the beach, instead of discouraging""

this sounds like the plan for the AS Forums rallies many of us have had for a few years now..our next one here in N GA will have 35 units with maybe 100 people attending and features ; inexpensive camping in an area that is accessible from four states, 2 shared dish meals;participation is of course voluntary, no planned schedule but a few loosely planned activities for those who are interested, and sharing of knowledge and experience to any and all Airstreamers or potential owners. We have had more than a few attendees who had sob's and/or were considering buying a new or vintage Airstreams.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:57 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
I will probally not be liked to much after this but why not let all who enjoy camping attend events it would allow others to see the passion for the A/S and may see how hey would like to own a piece of history.. As for the WBCCI if I am not mistaken the membership is 70.00 for a year?? I am a lifetime member of the Good Sams club. Maybe they could do something like that if not already....

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Hi Terry,

You sound an awful lot like another poster we had here named Bowling Alone.Are you still with Unit #080?__________________
Mike
In an effort to be consistent with other RV related forums I did indeed change my screen name to Safarinight, and yes I am technically still a member of 080. But with renewal time little over two weeks away we are having trouble justifying the cost.

After the infamous Christmas party with 080 last year we became involved with a Good Sam hosted group called OhioRally. www.ohiorally.com These are good people that really enjoy camping. WBCCI leadership could learn a lot about how good a forum based unit can be by taking the time to study this group. The rallies are beautifully done and the potlucks are awesome. The rallies take place on weekends and those attending are evenly balanced between retired and working families.

Our experience with WBCCI so far has not been great but we are not ready to throw the towel in yet. We have already contacted Star Grover at WDCU about transferring our membership from 080 to 170 to save some money and avoid the MAL issue. We are also reaching out to a Airstream forums group that will be camping at Alum Creek next weekend. Who knows we may finally meet some WBCCI members that have fun. http://www.airforums.com/forum...hio-25437.html