Old 10-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by safarinight
In an effort to be consistent with other RV related forums I did indeed change my screen name to Safarinight, and yes I am technically still a member of 080. But with renewal time little over two weeks away we are having trouble justifying the cost.
Terry,
glad to hear that you are not yet totally throwing in the towel yet. I should inform you that partly because of the response your children received at your unit function last year, Richard Osborne the Region 4 President was able to generate interest in and get unanimous approval for a motion at this years IBT to recognize children (and grandchilderen) of members as official members of the club. They will now be issued badges and no longer should any of them be told that they are not members of the club. It is a small step, but a positive one. You can take pride that you helped bring this important issue to the attention of Club Leadership.

Also, while they may not be close enough to you, I have learned that the Cincinnati unit holds a "Youth Rally" each year, getting about 15-20 children to attend (mostly but not all are grandchildren). Even if you cannot consider joining this unit, their Youth Rally might be something to check out next year.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Why Does It Have To Be This Way

New to this - purchased our A/S in July and was originally excited about joining a local group. Someone sent me a link to the local chapter - looked at the photos of their events - I'll pass.

Is there any chance of reviving such a unit..?

I deeply respect the traditions - but this is to old fashion for me.

Enough said.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:33 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Original quote by 66Overlander
Terry - glad to hear that you are not yet totally throwing in the towel yet. I should inform you that partly because of the response your children received at your unit function last year, Richard Osborne the Region 4 President was able to generate interest in and get unanimous approval for a motion at this years IBT to recognize children (and grandchildren) of members as official members of the club. They will now be issued badges and no longer should any of them be told that they are not members of the club. It is a small step, but a positive one. You can take pride that you helped bring this important issue to the attention of Club Leadership.
Thanks Joe Ė I had not heard anything about the IBT meeting or of Richard Osborneís efforts to get this issue corrected. I believe it would be appropriate now to send a thank you note to Richard. This is good news because it shows that WBCCI is listening and that we can effect change.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne
It is in perfect position for a changing of the guard. I have thought about staying and trying to change things but at my point in life I don't have the time. With work and kids still at home my resources are required on the homefront. It seems a waste of energy to watch these established units collapse and then start anew but I think WBCCI history bears out that that is what happens...that is the evolution of the club. To bad...lots of wasted energy and wasted memories from the older folks.
Tom
Tom,

WBCCI rules make it very hard to effect change in a unit because of the time it takes to cycle existing leadership out. If however the existing leaders voluntarily step down then all the positions could be filled with new people effectively passing the unit to a new generation. If the senior members would stay active and act in an advisory role the new leadership team could build on their experiences to revitalize the unit. The best units have people of all ages in them.

I know our unit is tired. The senior members have been cycled through the officer positions so many times that they are loosing interest. Maybe they would be willing to let someone else take the reins and set back and enjoy a rally without being asked to do something.

Would you be interested in trying to save the unit? How many new members do you think it would take? I know of three maybe four units that could help. - Terry
Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Would you be interested in trying to save the unit? How many new members do you think it would take? I know of three maybe four units that could help. - Terry
Well, I think it could be saved. I think I mentioned earlier that the 2nd VP spot is open...no one to take it. They are asking that someone take it...an invitation. In two years that person would be president of the unit. I have already paid my dues to the Auglaize Valley Unit. But, and this is a big but, I don't have the time to do much more than make some meetings and rallies would be difficult. My wife teaches and she spends most weekends at school working. Summer would be different. I would be very willing to meet some evening somewhere in Columbus with who ever is interested and discuss it. I also have a major issue with their voting procedures lately...but I really do not want to discuss that here. I would rather discuss that in person
Tom