Old 10-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by safarinight
In an effort to be consistent with other RV related forums I did indeed change my screen name to Safarinight, and yes I am technically still a member of 080. But with renewal time little over two weeks away we are having trouble justifying the cost.

After the infamous Christmas party with 080 last year we became involved with a Good Sam hosted group called OhioRally. www.ohiorally.comThese are good people that really enjoy camping. WBCCI leadership could learn a lot about how good a forum based unit can be by taking the time to study this group. The rallies are beautifully done and the potlucks are awesome. The rallies take place on weekends and those attending are evenly balanced between retired and working families.

Our experience with WBCCI so far has not been great but we are not ready to throw the towel in yet. We have already contacted Star Grover at WDCU about transferring our membership from 080 to 170 to save some money and avoid the MAL issue. We are also reaching out to a Airstream forums group that will be camping at Alum Creek next weekend. Who knows we may finally meet some WBCCI members that have fun. http://www.airforums.com/forum...hio-25437.html

I thought that was you Terry.Sorry to hear its not working out for you in your unit.
You make a good point about WBCCI leadership learning from other successful camping groups.This and other avenues should be looked at.Earlier today,I started a discussion on the wbcci.org forums with a similar subject in its contents.
All the best in whatever you decide and I hope you find a group that works for you.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I just returned from our unit's 25th anniversary rally and we had a ball. We had a number of past Presidents and widows attending. Many of them no longer trailer, but they still come to a large proportion of our rallies as guests and some of them still maintain membership well into their 90s.

We had a Power-Point presentation last evening on the unit history with our guests invited to tell a story on something unusual that happened during their tenure.

One of the funniest stories concerned a rally in Massachusetts where the environmentalists were running around with teaspoons and scooping up dirt from under the trailers to test whether any gray water was being dumped in the night. Another was on the "Sanitation Committee" at an International rally when someone turned a wrong valve and sprayed the crew with black water.

The picture that emerged was of a bunch of folks that truly care for each other and share a lot of history.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Safarinight,
We are also a member of Unit 80 (for another few months). We have nothing in common with the folks in that unit. We also looked at the WDCU but decided to give another Ohio unit a try first. We are transfering our unit membership to the Auglaize Valley Unit...we will see how that goes. Last spring we sat with a couple at a Unit 80 luncheon at Schmidts in German Village...that wasn't you was it???
Tom
Old 10-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Central Ohio Unit

Is there currently a unit in central Ohio. I've been trying to find out since purchasing our AS in July. A neighbor in the campground where we have her parked for the year said he worked with the president of a Columbus Unit and would get me his name and contact information - nothing yet...

I'd be very interested in a group in Central Ohio - formal or informal - that would like to get together to enjoy the simple pleasures of camping. It would also be good to get to know the folks putting together the Northern Ohio event in Alum Creek - seems like a good group.

Any thoughts....
Old 10-09-2006, 06:10 AM   #19
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Is there currently a unit in central Ohio. I've been trying to find out since purchasing our AS in July. A neighbor in the campground where we have her parked for the year said he worked with the president of a Columbus Unit and would get me his name and contact information - nothing yet...

I'd be very interested in a group in Central Ohio - formal or informal - that would like to get together to enjoy the simple pleasures of camping. It would also be good to get to know the folks putting together the Northern Ohio event in Alum Creek - seems like a good group.

Any thoughts....

You may find the information you are looking for on the Region 4 website.

http://www.region4wbcci.com/

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
When I was a kid (I'm 50 now) there was an Ohio Unit. There were other smaller more localized units as well. We belonged to the Ohio Unit and a local unit. I assume it went by the wayside due to the size and logistics of it. I don't remember a Central Ohio Unit...it was always covered by the Columbus unit. I wish I remembered more from those early days. I remember the traveling, ralllies, caravans, people, etc. but I didn't pay much attention to the organization of things. I wish my parents and grandparents were still alive, they could really shed some light on "then and now" issues.
Tom
Old 10-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne
When I was a kid (I'm 50 now) there was an Ohio Unit. There were other smaller more localized units as well. We belonged to the Ohio Unit and a local unit. I assume it went by the wayside due to the size and logistics of it. I don't remember a Central Ohio Unit...it was always covered by the Columbus unit. I wish I remembered more from those early days. I remember the traveling, ralllies, caravans, people, etc. but I didn't pay much attention to the organization of things. I wish my parents and grandparents were still alive, they could really shed some light on "then and now" issues.
Tom
Hi Tom.The Ohio Unit's last appearence in the WBCCI directories was in 1994.It was Unit #076.
As far as some early history(very early) of the formation of units there is some articles on our units website you may find informative.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/me...aravanette.pdf

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
New unit time?

Tom – I believe unit 080 is at the end of the line. None of the new members that joined with us are still active. One family complained that the unit took their money then forgot them. They were never called, their names were never included in the unit roster or monthly news letters, and no one talked to them at the August (2005) picnic. They left in late 2005. We left after an incident at the 05 Christmas party. Your comment about having nothing in common with 080 verifies what others have experienced. Give us a call. Our number is in the unit directory.

Gary – We have a Gahanna mailing address, are part of the Westerville school system, and live in Columbus! Go figure. If you would like to try the Columbus unit give me call and I will give you their contact information. I am sending you my phone numbers VIA e-mail.

The simple fact is that there is no active unit in the central Ohio at this time. I believe the erosion of significance that 080 is experiencing is irreversible. But let’s look to the future and see if we can build something that works for us. The Northern Ohio forum group looks promising, and between you, Tom, and I we almost have enough to go for a new unit!

Cheers!
Terry
Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Unfortunately I'm bailing at year end. I already sent an email to the unit president informing him of our intentions. I lasted 4 years, and to my knowledge there are other newer members leaving also. If my guess is right, it will leave only one member remaining who joined within the last 5 years. Every other newer member will be gone.

It's a shame but it's just not my lifestyle and I don't feel the need to become a MAL or member of another unit. We may comeback sometime in the future but it will be at another juncture in our life. A couple of us tried to breathe some life back into things, but the combined Forums and unit rally at Moraine View only had one member (other than myself) show, and the month prior an informal rally with full hookups at a lake side campground only had a few show up. The membership pretty well demonstrated that they want more of the status quo and won't support alternative rallies so we have decided to vote with our feet.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
[quoteTom – I believe unit 080 is at the end of the line.]

Terry,
The Columbus Unit is full of nice folks but they have been together for so long that they don't know how to relate to new and younger folks...I think we scare them a bit with new ideas. They know they are getting older and deep down I think they realize that Unit #80 is going to go under in a few short years...and that is sad. They have kind of "circled their wagons" and are waiting for the end. I don't think they know what else to do. The unit pres. just discovered that she has breast cancer and they don't have enough active people to fill their 2nd vice pres position. It is in perfect position for a changing of the guard. I have thought about staying and trying to change things but at my point in life I don't have the time. With work and kids still at home my resources are required on the homefront. It seems a waste of energy to watch these established units collapse and then start anew but I think WBCCI history bears out that that is what happens...that is the evolution of the club. To bad...lots of wasted energy and wasted memories from the older folks.
Tom
Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
[Quote, "The unit pres. just discovered that she has breast cancer..."]

I am in error...the unit pres had lung cancer not breast cancer...my apologies.
My prayers are with her and her family. Let's hope she can beat it...I am not sure how advanced it is.
Tom
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Columbus , Ohio
Tom - Jo is a courageous woman that was struggling with cancer last year when she took the position of president. Brenda and I wish her and all the members of 080 well.

I really like to go camping with people that enjoy the simple pleasure of getting away. We will be with 26 other camping families at Hocking Hills this weekend and I am really looking forward it. If you can find the time come down and visit Saturday. We will be deep frying four turkeys for the potluck. Ummmmmmmmm.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Believe me we would love to come down. Eldest son home from OSU this weekend and Ski Patrol training at Mad River Mountain in Bellefontaine will keep us close to home. Boy does Hocking Hills sound good...as does the turkey! I hope the weather is as nice as it has been the past few days.
Tom
Old 10-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Our unit is in Tidewater Virginia. Everything here is tourist and the campground prices reflect this fact. Trying to get campgounds that can or will accomodate us with sites together as well as a suitable meeting room are getting harder and harder to find. If you throw in the costs of the sites it makes it even more difficult. We would all like sites with 3 point hook-ups good power even in the heat of summer, a wonderful meeting room with a working kitchen and a/c for $15 a night. That train too has left the station never to return. Its hard to meet the needs and wants of each individual within the unit, we try and everyonce in a while we get it right. We are always looking for ways to make the club better. Ownership in the club seems to be the best way we have found to do this. The ones that get involved seem to understand the problems and work hard to over come them. We are after all a volunteer club and a travel club we love the chance to visit all ove the country. Last weekend I was in the mountains of NC now I am in SC and Thursday I will be in Florida. I love the club.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote