Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Those RED Numbers

This isn't going to stop the world, or even slow it down, but I've run into a question regarding installation/placement of the WBCCI numbers on our Interstate "B" creation.
The instructions from "Phred" say to center them as high as possible in both the front and back.
They might fit on the front, just above the name "Airstream", but in the back the double doors are a tad high. So, I can put all four digits on the RH door, or split 'em. Which is the accepted procedure?
And as for the black blivet, what's the preferred placement?

Opinions?

Rules?

regards

Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Not sure on your specifics but I can add to make sure you spray the area down really well with water in a spray bottle and also the letters as your peeling them off. That way if you need to move them a bit it makes it alot easier. I used blue 3m painting tape to help line everything up nicely. I also printed up AIRSTREAM on my computer with my #'s centered over it so I had a rough idea of the exact spacing...came out really well. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
my suggestion would be to mount them on a nice oak board and then cover the letters with several coats of spar varnish. When you attend rallies or other WBCCI events put the board out in front of your interstate. We have our WBCCI #'s on our campsite sign which we put out whenever we set up a campsite.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Many motorhome owners mount them on rigid clear plastic and display them only when they are at the rally. Usually only in the front window.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Many motorhome owners mount them on rigid clear plastic and display them only when they are at the rally. Usually only in the front window.
I can see this since they would be so high up they would be hard to see from the ground otherwise unless you stood a good distance away.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
This isn't going to stop the world, or even slow it down, but I've run into a question regarding installation/placement of the WBCCI numbers on our Interstate "B" creation.
The instructions from "Phred" say to center them as high as possible in both the front and back.
They might fit on the front, just above the name "Airstream", but in the back the double doors are a tad high. So, I can put all four digits on the RH door, or split 'em. Which is the accepted procedure?

Opinions?

Rules?

regards

Hello herrgirdner,

If you have made the decision to display your numbers my opinion would be to put the four digits on the upper part of the RH door with the Wally seal centered above them.
I'm not aware of any 'rules' for the application of numbers on an Interstate B.I have seen numbers on Land Yacht's placed vertically because of the vehicle's design.
I prefer to display my numbers proudly but that's MY choice.Several members do not display their numbers at all.Others mount them on plexiglass or similar materal and place them in the vehicle's window when parked at rallies or caravans.
Bottom line is it's up to you.

regards

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Here is another idea. Go to a sign shop and have white numbers made and put them on the dark tinted area of the windshield. They will show up much better than any other way of displaying your numbers.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner

Opinions?

Rules?

regards
I happen to be married to Phred so I consulted him. He said do whatever works for you. As far as he knows, there are no rules for the B-Van. Put them where they will be visable. One of the main reasons for the numbers is so that you can be located more easily at a large rally.

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I suspected that since the Interstate is new and there probably aren't a lot of them on the road just yet, there might be a gray area.... Uhh on the RED numbers...
Appreciate the authentic advice. That's what I expect from this forum.
regards
Old 08-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I just returned from a week end at the Top of Georgia Airstream Park and about half of the TRAILERS had their numbers on the transparent panels attached to their tank covers instead of above their front window. While a little temporary looking, it did solve one problem: I noticed that several that had done this had old numbers above the window from the PO and new numbers on the plexiglass panels. Apparently either location is accepted by the WBCCI so the suggestion to put the numbers on the plexiglass panel in your back window is a good one.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree with STREAMER23. Display the numbers! heck, it's not really an Airstream without them or, at least, it doesn't look like one.

If you do mount them, use the blue painters tape to line them up. Using the pencil marks as suggested in the instructions from WBCCI is stupid. It must have been written before the invention of tape. I have seen several motorhomes with the numbers mounted vertically with the seal at the top. I think that it looked great.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote