Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yeah Not a hard decision for me either. I know who Wally is, AOAI (Owners Association) sounds so sterile, either way it has to be explained if you use the acrynom, I'd rather be thinking of the founder.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #72
Rivet Master

We belong to another non-airstream RV Club, and it is laid back. We gather for a rally, greet the "newbies", eat, talk, tour, socialize, do club business(business meeting 3 times a year), and we have fun. We have no mandatiory uniforms, flag protocol, etc. We do dress-up for our final rally night out, though.(Sunday go-to-meetin' clothes)

Old 03-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
With Salem upcoming, we will be spending all of our time with friends seeing the sights. This will be a "pomp-free" trip!
You mean I shouldn't bring my pomppomps? And please, don't tell me I can't pack my bad punpuns either ... I'll have nothing to say.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:32 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Well Done Fred;

So elequently put and sumes up lets say about a 1000 accumulative hours of airtime here

I know that we all have hashed over so many points over the past several months - and we are now getting down to the "vote". It brings back the earlier posts where I asked "did I miss something here" and was prompty instructed to contact my Unit and read the Blue Beret - we have come a long way and are now facing the same scenario - different place different time...

Essentially it is a vote to change the Club Name - and boils down to how we vote - by ballot, by verbal casting, by attending and a show of hands etc.

"Motion Options"

1. Vote NO
2. Vote YES
3. Abstain

Folks there is NO option to "modify the Recommended Name. That would require a motion to ammend the motion - and if it is moved at the delegate meeting it would have NO force and effect until it COMES back to the UNITS again according to the by-laws.

Should the name Change Motion receive a NO vote. The motion still on the table (as it has not been recinded or amended) - is the delegate vote to Add "Airstream" to the Club Name. Not sure how to get this across to anyone - but a delegate with a seconder and Region approval will have to call "point of order" on that motion!

The second and "re-directing" motion (that happened at the delegate meeting) of requesting IBT to come up with the name - decide on the placement of airstream - which I believe was the INTENT of that motion (but in IBT's interpretation was to "come up with a new name") although in an unorthodox manner this motion has or will be acted upon - but nevertheless it will have been carried out upon delegate vote this coming delegate meeting.

Thus there will be the matter of what to do with the remaining motion? "Add Airstream to the Club Name."

65GT - a point I think many will not realize "one member one vote" however the process will not allow for consistancy - as indicated in the document "WBCCI Delegates name Change Motion Options" there is the issue of "prorating" unit member eligible votes (paid members).

I know this document has provided some insight for the Unit Presidents which is probably a bit more than what they received last year - (which in itself is a step in a "new direction" however small - but nevertheless important.

The issue at hand will be Total individual member vote or Delegate vote carrying ONE vote NOT a prorated Vote. Without a direct instruction from IBT to each Unit to hold a mail or a counted vote - the Units are left to implement whatever voting procedure their constitution instructs. For example our own unit will vote according to attendance at the Business meeting Rally in the spring. Unless the Executive Deem a Mail Vote necessary, if a mail vote is called then that is the only method of voting for our unit at that business meeting.

It will be very important that someone at the Delegate Meeting understands the rules of order (better than what happend last year) Each member has one vote and it can be cast Yes/No or Abstain. Last year all those members who may not have cast a vote - were counted as either a yes or no by their delegate - and this is incorrect. Not necessarily at the IBT level but in the constitution. There are NO proxy votes thus there should be NO pro-rated votes - only votes of individuals or one vote per delegate.

As I understand it last year - Ontario's vote was weighted as 207 votes when in fact it should have been one vote. An Ontario Vote although yes - may not have carried a unanimous nor a complete member attendance - thus non cast votes - should have counted as either nothing or abstensions. But this "prorating" procedure is very disciminate to smaller units giving delegates of larger units more power - this is not a democracy - this is a dogs breakfast

I hope to put a few motions on the floor of our own Unit meeting to try and tidy up and tighten up this process to allow for a fair casting of not only our own unit votes but hopefully avoid any further hassles at the Delegate meeting.

I know I know - a lot of you don't like procedures - but this is the democratic way - just as an informal Forum Rally - ideas are put forth and the majority make a decision. It is exactly the same - but needs to be more formal when dealing with 1000's of members.

All here now can only do what they can in their own units - and those who are not members - sit back and let the rest of us entertain you for a little longer - and then we can finally get back to debating Tow vehicles, Hitches, GVWR's and Airstream Quality Control.

Again any who choose to read my dribble - thanks for taking the time to suffer through MHO.
Well it certainly wasn't dribble Sharon, but I did suffer through it. EGADS! And thank you for taking the time to explain the voting process.

I am not pretending to have a grasp on the totality of what you have said but I am going to take baby steps and ask a few questions, if you will bear with me.

How, when, or why does the IBT give direct instruction to hold a mail or counted vote? Rhetorical question here perhaps; why of all votes would this name change vote not have that extra measure for assurance of members satisfaction?

How could one amend or rescind the motion to include Airstream in the name?

Not sure how to get this across to anyone - but a delegate with a seconder and Region approval will have to call "point of order" on that motion!
Would you please reword and explain "point of order" within that context?

This "prorating" procedure is very discriminate to smaller units giving delegates of larger units more power. I don't understand this, could you simplify what takes place and why it is discriminate to smaller units?

If the vote last year was incorrect and out of order why wasn't it thrown out as invalid? How can a second vote be held building upon a previous vote that went amuck - such as the lack of regard to existing rules of order?

If they (the rules of order) are not working any longer than an effort should be made from the bottom up to get them changed or amended - bit by bit.

Can the top be changed more quickly? Perhaps we can light the candle at both ends.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:42 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Our Denver, CO Unit 24 published the whole proposed License Agreement in our newsletter last month for all our Unit members to see; you can read it in our current newsletter. Go to our Unit website:

http://www.wbcci-denco.org/

We will publish arguments for and against the name change in our April 2006 Newsletter.
The April 2006 Denver Unit Newsletter is now online.

Shari
DenCO Webmaster
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 PM   #76
_

. , .
wow, sheri.......nice newsletter!

are wbcci members welcome as guests......at unit rallies?

cheers
2air'
Old 03-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks for the Newsletter kudos 2air...although, I'm not the author, just the webmaster this year.

Yes, absolutely...we always welcome guests!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:46 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
wow, sheri.......nice newsletter!

are wbcci members welcome as guests......at unit rallies?

cheers
2air'
2air,

It is my understanding that all WBCCI members are welcome at any unit or region function, regardless of what unit/region you belong to.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #79
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
It is my understanding that all WBCCI members are welcome at any unit or region function, regardless of what unit/region you belong to.Bill
hi bill

you know that's what i thought, but whenever we get near the entry gate for rallies.....
someone puts up a 'no vacancy' sign....

is it the hat?

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my beverly air.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	20022  
Old 03-31-2006, 11:00 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi bill

you know that's what i thought, but whenever we get near the entry gate for rallies.....
someone puts up a 'no vacancy' sign....

is it the hat?

cheers
2air'
2air,

Must be the hat.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #81
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
I have a ? about Thor, and would like to know if anybody can tell me if they are one in the same? I was checking out a RV buyers guide and seen a add for Thor California travel trailers, so thought came to mind, if this is the same Thor that owns Airstream, dose anybody know?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #82
Site Team

, Minnesota
David,

Yes, here is their website:

http://www.thorindustries.com/rv/
Old 04-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #83
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Thanks markdoane. That was the first time that I had ever seen the name. Other than with the threads here on the forums, so I thought I would find out, thanks again markdoane.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #84
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
It's the same reason that no young person knows who Mr. Kresge was. Kresge's was a "dime store" but since the 60s the company has been known as Kmart and now that Sears owns Kmart, the name will change again.(The trial stores will be opening in the KC area)

I know that the change will be hard for many of the older members,of which we have many in our unit. But there are many like me who were not raised on Airstreams and only recently found out who Wally was.

I want everyone to know that I own the best trailer made, instead of having to explain what WBCCI stands for. And then answer the question "Who??"

I normally don't like change, but sometimes it's a good thing.
Beth,

I DO know who Mr. Kresge was, courtesy of my great-grandmother...she still called it Kresge's Mart. Just because people are ignorant of the founder's name doesn't mean it should be nix'd out of the product.....it should empower us to teach them about the past and honor it. Do you think that anyone remembers Mr. Roebuck, and how he got screwed, when they took his name out of the game? By the way, I'm only 32.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote