Old 03-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #57
Rivet Master

If this is so important to "Nevada Thor", then let them form their own d$%$ club. As owners of vintage, newer, and new airsreams we don't want AOAII (Ee,I,Ee, I, Oh)
Let all who are against this travesty give a big collective "NO" to the "Sell Our Club Name Down the Stream Committee". Way to go Fred!!!

Old 03-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I also like Fred's 10 reasons. It has humor and a great clarity, facts and explanations and is most convincing. Just shows you can catch more bees with honey. I second "Way To Go Fred!"

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #59
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus
If this is so important to "Nevada Thor", then let them form their own d$%$ club. As owners of vintage, newer, and new airsreams we don't want AOAII (Ee,I,Ee, I, Oh)
Let all who are against this travesty give a big collective "NO" to the "Sell Our Club Name Down the Stream Committee". Way to go Fred!!!
Bus....I'm having a tough time seeing how you really feel about the subject.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #60
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
I think they tried it, and it didn't work. Maybe because the name had to many vowels in it. The club was called either AOA, or AAOA.

Maybe the lesson is, avoid a name with too many A's and O's.
Attached Files
File Type: doc AAOA.doc (5.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #61
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Oh, Nice find...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I think they tried it, and it didn't work. Maybe because the name had to many vowels in it. The club was called either AOA, or AAOA.

Maybe the lesson is, avoid a name with too many A's and O's.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #62

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Very interesting

Quote:
The Airstream Way of Life program is one of the oldest RV programs for customers in the industry. Airstream has been sponsoring caravans since 1951. These caravans were formerly called Wally Byam caravans in honor of the founder of Airstream and the caravan program. These caravans had no association with the club of Airstream owners titled Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI). The name of our company-sponsored caravans was changed in 1979 to Airstream Adventure Caravans to reflect more clearly the nature of the caravans and to preclude confusion with the WBCCI, which operates caravans for their members.

They certainly didn't want to be confused with 'that other club'. Funny how now they want to have an intimate involvement with us.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #63
_

. , .
folks who love the wb.....or at least its history....

should take note....

that the original caravans and rallies WERE company sponsored and operated.......

these were called "wally byam's caravans" ....note the apostrophie and s...

enrollment was handled by the company as were all other issues...

the numbers were issued only to those who went on a caravan....

and had to be positioned precisely.... so keeping track of 100s of rigs was simpler....

a few gatherings on the way to a caravan...like to mexico...were staged...like in the ozarks...and

these were the organizing....rallies...

wally liked regiment....wally liked rules.....wally liked to be the boss......

votes.......nahhhhhhhhh.....that's 'what wally wouldn't do'......

cheers
2air'

nice document markdoane......perhaps a name with too vowels.....

but this was an attempt by thor/as to bring back the original wally world experience....

since the wb club wasn't about the long trips anymore....but the monthly luncheons.....

which way would wally have gone.........company baby, all the way......
Old 03-20-2006, 08:29 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Well Done Fred;

So elequently put and sumes up lets say about a 1000 accumulative hours of airtime here

I know that we all have hashed over so many points over the past several months - and we are now getting down to the "vote". It brings back the earlier posts where I asked "did I miss something here" and was prompty instructed to contact my Unit and read the Blue Beret - we have come a long way and are now facing the same scenario - different place different time...

Essentially it is a vote to change the Club Name - and boils down to how we vote - by ballot, by verbal casting, by attending and a show of hands etc.

"Motion Options"

1. Vote NO
2. Vote YES
3. Abstain

Folks there is NO option to "modify the Recommended Name. That would require a motion to ammend the motion - and if it is moved at the delegate meeting it would have NO force and effect until it COMES back to the UNITS again according to the by-laws.

Should the name Change Motion receive a NO vote. The motion still on the table (as it has not been recinded or amended) - is the delegate vote to Add "Airstream" to the Club Name. Not sure how to get this across to anyone - but a delegate with a seconder and Region approval will have to call "point of order" on that motion!

The second and "re-directing" motion (that happened at the delegate meeting) of requesting IBT to come up with the name - decide on the placement of airstream - which I believe was the INTENT of that motion (but in IBT's interpretation was to "come up with a new name") although in an unorthodox manner this motion has or will be acted upon - but nevertheless it will have been carried out upon delegate vote this coming delegate meeting.

Thus there will be the matter of what to do with the remaining motion? "Add Airstream to the Club Name."

65GT - a point I think many will not realize "one member one vote" however the process will not allow for consistancy - as indicated in the document "WBCCI Delegates name Change Motion Options" there is the issue of "prorating" unit member eligible votes (paid members).

I know this document has provided some insight for the Unit Presidents which is probably a bit more than what they received last year - (which in itself is a step in a "new direction" however small - but nevertheless important.

The issue at hand will be Total individual member vote or Delegate vote carrying ONE vote NOT a prorated Vote. Without a direct instruction from IBT to each Unit to hold a mail or a counted vote - the Units are left to implement whatever voting procedure their constitution instructs. For example our own unit will vote according to attendance at the Business meeting Rally in the spring. Unless the Executive Deem a Mail Vote necessary, if a mail vote is called then that is the only method of voting for our unit at that business meeting.

It will be very important that someone at the Delegate Meeting understands the rules of order (better than what happend last year) Each member has one vote and it can be cast Yes/No or Abstain. Last year all those members who may not have cast a vote - were counted as either a yes or no by their delegate - and this is incorrect. Not necessarily at the IBT level but in the constitution. There are NO proxy votes thus there should be NO pro-rated votes - only votes of individuals or one vote per delegate.

As I understand it last year - Ontario's vote was weighted as 207 votes when in fact it should have been one vote. An Ontario Vote although yes - may not have carried a unanimous nor a complete member attendance - thus non cast votes - should have counted as either nothing or abstensions. But this "prorating" procedure is very disciminate to smaller units giving delegates of larger units more power - this is not a democracy - this is a dogs breakfast

I hope to put a few motions on the floor of our own Unit meeting to try and tidy up and tighten up this process to allow for a fair casting of not only our own unit votes but hopefully avoid any further hassles at the Delegate meeting.

I know I know - a lot of you don't like procedures - but this is the democratic way - just as an informal Forum Rally - ideas are put forth and the majority make a decision. It is exactly the same - but needs to be more formal when dealing with 1000's of members.

All here now can only do what they can in their own units - and those who are not members - sit back and let the rest of us entertain you for a little longer - and then we can finally get back to debating Tow vehicles, Hitches, GVWR's and Airstream Quality Control.

Again any who choose to read my dribble - thanks for taking the time to suffer through MHO.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:32 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Well done GT6921!

Well done GT6921!

Another great job of illumination without a slant either way. Wish there was MORE of that here, and elsewhere!!!!!

Here here, for a job well done!

Axel
Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hey Kudos back to you SilverToy - Alex....

Here is a special note for COOPERHAWK - and anyone else...

Rhetoric:

"A manner by which to generate active and lively discussion , through ponder and a sea of feelings towards a simple faction of what makes up the diveristy of (WBCCI) memberships and airstream enthusiasts." as written by a "Great" Canadian Scholar Wannabe....

tisk tisk befor anyone jumps in.... Read what the great Scholars have to say about Rhetoric
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/rhetoricdefinitions.htm

I sure hope that with all this Rhetoric - we have opened but a few eyes of understanding - and maybe just given Cindy Reed - on her 25th Anniversary with WBCCI - a new lease on her job a push for the cause - an injection of reason for motivation - a nudge of the cog - a tip of the wheel....

(ps... for those who do not get the BB and who have not met Cindy (like Me for one) - guess what she is not 85 nope not even 65 - why she must be in her 40's-early 50s by the photo. So that means she joined as a staff very young! I know what it is like to work for a Volunteer Organization and have litterally your bosses turnover everyother year! - Ideas - they are lucky if they make it through a year process and if they do it could be another year or two before they actually get implemented.

I wonder what Cindy thinks - I know I would be thinking "boy how soon people forget that we went through something similar when we went through the motions of Describing the WBCCI with a by-line "Airstream RV Association" if I were in her shoes.

With each new board - they want to make a difference - and sometimes if an organization does not have a big plan in place for its new officers to follow - things can go amuck - such as the lack of regard to existing rules of order. If they are not working any longer than an effort should be made from the bottom up to get them changed or amended - bit by bit.

Rome was not built in a day...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Silvertwinkie,
Politics is the big turn off with the WBCCI, not just the name change, or the loss of "Wally's" name. Now, with Thor in the mix, just adds more politics. YucK! Isn't this is just an RV club, afterall? We didn't sign on to a military or religious organization. The pomp and pagentry is fine for awhile but, isn't our bonding agent owning the best the travel trailer the industry can build, past and present? You wanted to know how I felt after responding to Fred.
Last years (2005) International was fun over all. Upon entering the grounds with the Vintage crowd, we had a run-in with a gal who just would not relent since our U.S. flagpole had had an accident and bent. This put the flag lower than the State flag, and she ragged on us chasing along side the car about "Flap Protocol". There was no reasoning with this woman, even after explaining the pole hit a tree limb before we entered the grounds..
Zealots such as her, taint the whole mix.
When it comes to a vote, I like "Wally Byam Airstream Club. That says it all.
With Salem upcoming, we will be spending all of our time with friends seeing the sights. This will be a "pomp-free" trip!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #68
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
We didn't sign on to a military or religious organization.
Hmmm ... some of the WBCCI events I have attended sure seem that way!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 ó Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
When it comes to a vote, I like "Wally Byam Airstream Club. That says it all.
The thing is, if you want the name Wally Byam Airstream Club, you need to vote no to AOAI as the future name. Not all vote no supporters are against a name change, some are voting no to stop AOAI from becoming the new name.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Wheel Interested,

We, as a unit, will be voting "NO" for AOAI. I was just mentioning, if we eventually go for a change in name, "Wally Byam Airstream Club" is AOK with me!! I compare "AOAI" with "Ee, I Ee, I, OH!"