Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
My dad decided to change things around, dry camping, doing spots out of order, spots they have never gone to (gasp!). The majority of the unit didn't like it one bit. He was messing with tradition. Tradition is HUGE in this group but this adherance is stifling their growth.

This year at Salem the latest count was 1001 trailers. The last time in Salem (1971) the count was 2800+ trailers. Wonder why the difference? Hmmm...
In the NC units, tradition is a big thing as well. A few frown on some activities that are not "tried and true." I for one have been pushing the envelope in another direction. Try it and they just might like it!!!
Kev
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Another Club?

Quote:
Count me in on any subversion. I was talking with my wife after I heard about the vote. I was wondering if another complete group was created as, say, "Airstream Owners Association" if Airstream (Inc.) would embrace it. Or are they so embraced with WBCCI that they would not even touch it. Never even thought of the subversive side.

[Posting from the International]
The chances of Airstream Inc. embracing another club are probably slim to none. I doubt that they would even allow you to use their name.

An alternate idea might be to start a club for Silver Coaches: Airstreams, Avions, Silver Streaks, etc. You could make up a name that wouldn't stir up anybody's trademark and copyright lawyers, and you would be more in line with the great Wally's original idea of including more than just his own brand in his groups.

Getting it all organized and running wouldn't be quite as complicated, say, as starting your own auto manufacturing company, but would be close. Obtaining (and paying for) liability insurance and tax exempt status, are two items that come to mind right off. And of course, you would have to choose proper headgear, and make up your own traditions.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleneal
An alternate idea might be to start a club for Silver Coaches: Airstreams, Avions, Silver Streaks, etc. You could make up a name that wouldn't stir up anybody's trademark and copyright lawyers, and you would be more in line with the great Wally's original idea of including more than just his own brand in his groups.

Getting it all organized and running wouldn't be quite as complicated, say, as starting your own auto manufacturing company, but would be close. Obtaining (and paying for) liability insurance and tax exempt status, are two items that come to mind right off. And of course, you would have to choose proper headgear, and make up your own traditions.

Neal
It is interesting that Airstream was not incorporated into the name all those years ago when Wally started it. Perhaps he was not sure Airstream would survive and wanted to make sure it was NOT Airstream specific as you allude to. It is like interpreting the constitution and what the founding fathers meant.

I don't have a notion of starting another club, you wouldn't get me to bite on all that rigamarole. But maybe Wally didn't mean this exclusivity. How would the current members like that?
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:43 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

As I understand the history of it, Wally didn't found the club. He would organize caravans to get people to use their trailers that he saw sitting in their yards. Wally would include anyone with any brand that wanted to go with him. A group of the caravanners decided to organize into a club, and got his permission to use his name for it. They are the ones who decided to be AS brand specific. It was not Wally's idea to exclude "SOB's."

So, those traditionalists who claim to be giving great honor to Wally by keeping his name in the WBCCI name are not following his vision of what the club should be.

Neal
Old 07-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Count me in on any subversion. I was talking with my wife after I heard about the vote. I was wondering if another complete group was created as, say, "Airstream Owners Association" if Airstream (Inc.) would embrace it. Or are they so embraced with WBCCI that they would not even touch it. Never even thought of the subversive side.

[Posting from the International]
Only if the new group signs a very restrictive and one sided agreement with Airstream, Inc. One of the problems with the AOAI name. They are not tied into WBCCI that I have heard.

By the way, vintage is the place to be.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:23 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
"So, those traditionalists who claim to be giving great honor to Wally by keeping his name..." Did you read this somewhere or is this just your interpretation as to what has taken place?

You are correct -- the traditionalists that have tried to keep Wally Byam's name in the club are following the tradition of the WBCCI -- period. If you don't own an Airstream please try here:

www.TinCanTourists.com

You'll be more than welcome.

__

I did indeed read this somewhere. In Airstream Life, Summer of 2004, Page 53 in an article on the history of Wally: "Wally Byam, who was already
leading caravans which accepted multiple trailer brands in addition to Airstream, " and on the WBCCI website under History: "He was thus enormously pleased in 1955 when a group of his followers actually beat him to the next logical step; they founded a club of their own which would “localize” caravanning and put it on a year round basis. Of course, they named it after him." http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=History
I believe that I have also read the same facts in the Blue Beret. I still hold my conclusion that Wally was more tollerant of "multiple trailer brands" than the Club. And that "his followers" founded the club.

I also own an Airstream, my third, and I have been a member of the WBCCI for over 5 years. My Airstream says "Airstream" on the front, on both sides, on the back, on the VIN plate, and on the title. Yet not too many years ago my Airstream was excluded from the Club because it was not round and shinny enough to suit the traditionalists.

Neal

Old 07-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
This is good news

This kind of follows the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' theme. Rather than focus on the name change we need to focus on making unit events more interesting. Currently our group goes to boring RV spots that MUST have a dining hall. Whatever happened to sitting outside like the original WBCCI groups did?

It's more about playing dominoes and cards than seeing really cool scenery or parks. I've going to talk to our incoming president about how we might change this. Great news!!

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello swanny,

And that is it exactly .What has happened with the circle of friends/members
and the like .It is supposed to be the airstream experience ,the travel.
SEE MORE DO MORE LIVE MORE wally byam. Which of those things do we do?
I hope you can change the direction of the wbcci in your unit and the
places you go ,It starts within ,not with changing the name .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
Yes, this is our first (pattyo and myboyburt are here together) and would be our last if if wasn't for the fact it's being held in GA next year and lots of our NEU and White Mountains NH Unit buddies will be attending.
I'm glad that you will be coming down to Georgia for the International next year. We are always glad to have visitors to our great state. However, a couple of pieces of advice to newbies to Georgia, the summers hear are brutal to the unindoctrinated.

I haven't attended an International, but understand that electricity is at a minimum. I know there are RV rallies on a regular basis at the Georgia Fair Grounds in Perry so they may be better equipped to provide 30 amp service than other Rally sites, but I highly recommend finding out ahead of time and bringing a generator with you if they don't. Either buy, borrow, or rent one and bring it with you. I can't imagine spending even the night in an Airstream in the Georgia heat and humidity in July without AC and I grew up in South Georgia.

Also, remember that Perry is south of the gnat line so bring your insect repellant. If you aren't familiar with gnats, they are tiny flying insects that live in the sand and swarm around your eyes and face looking for moisture. They don't bite; they just fly around your face being a nascence. Also, we have mosquitoes so make sure your repellant has DEET in it, but is also family friendly.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:16 AM   #30
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I know there are RV rallies on a regular basis at the Georgia Fair Grounds in Perry so they may be better equipped to provide 30 amp service than other Rally sites...
I was talking about this recently with a local wally club big-wig; he said there'd be plenty of power, quite possibly 30 amps for everyone, as the site is already rigged for it. (not a "temporary" setup, like has been provided at the previous international rallies). Apparently, they've hosted huge RV conventions there in the past, much larger than wbcci. Of course...official details will be published soon, I'm sure. so don't take my word for it. I'm just passing along the heresay....
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
From what the folks at the 2006 International were saying the 2007 International in GA will provide 30amp electric for everyone willing to pay for it. Rumor also has it that the first 600 rigs to sign up will get sewer hookups too.

But, of course this is all rumor until the official info comes out from International.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:40 AM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I knew they have hosted large RV rallies in the past but wasn't sure what the accommodations were. They have a lot of acquestrian events and other agricultural shows that attract alot of RV's from the participants. Most of what I have seen were moho's that pulled the horse and livestock trailers so I figured they had their own generators.

If they are providing 30 amp service, even at an extra cost, I will have to look into it since we are planning on joining within the next couple of months and live only an hour and a half away from the Georgia National Fair Grounds.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Lotsa power in Perry...

The Perry NFGA (National Fairgrounds and Agricenter..) hosts a number of big RV events every year, including FMCA for 5,000+ units in March of 2007.. They are used to providing lots of 30A electrical hookups to run A/C.. I expect the challenges to be bugs, heat and humidity when venturing out of the "Rigs" and that might mean more people stay inside and watch TV...

I'm with Rog on subversive side, though feel regional "Forum" groups, like NorCal, Arizona, Midwest and others are a great way to organize and attend events with like-minded Airstreamers, minus some of the traditions...

I learned our "Unit" also requires locations with meeting rooms and kitchens for communal meals, which a volunteer must provide for the entire group at each event.. Hmm.. That might be off-putting to some. Having watched other groups ossify over decades, I agree that digging in from inside and trying to make some changes is the way to start, but success is not assured. It is interesting to see some Units winding down to handfuls, while others are growing and attracting members from nearby geographies.. I know we joined for access to Caravans and knowledge and like-minded adventurers, not fairgrounds and quilting and cooking group dinners.

And everything I heard at Salem indicates that WBAC is going to be back on ballot next year, so there is another year of politics and lobbying and parliamentary work to enjoy...

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
And everything I heard at Salem indicates that WBAC is going to be back on ballot next year, so there is another year of politics and lobbying and parliamentary work to enjoy...

John
I heard this rumor too, just don't know what the process is that the name change proponents would need to follow to get it back on the ballot for 2007. Now if I was the Emperor of the world our name would stay WBCCI, but I am not. I wouldn't really have any hearburn if the name of the club became Wally Byam Airstream Club International, if it was voted on by the membership by a one member = one vote method. I just don't understand how changing the name will "save" the club.

Oh, I really dislike AOAII so I hope this lame name doesn't try to make a come back.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Thanks to those who visited our Silver Falls rally. We had 11 trailers ranging from a '63 Bambi to an '05 Limited 34' and a similar variety of people. Great time, perfect weather, shade, and plenty of food. Some hiking, biking, and just being lazy around the eveing (midnight!) fire. Only one rule: "Woe to those who rise early in the morning." Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Oh Boy.. More Politics!!

Thought I'd hear about that message from the Save Wally faction...

For the record, I was not active delegate, and am kinda neutral on name change... I am used to explaining that we belong to the "Wally Club" which involves Airstream trailers, and it seems to end discussions...

FWIW, a majority of the votes WERE in favor of a name change, and a number of delegates voted fewer votes than they had members, or felt they had to re-poll their members on WBAC before casting a vote... I believe issue of trademark and usage would have been resolved with Thor and Airstream, and believe it still can, to avoid concerns about "control"...

Several "persons" (including a delegate and a region officer) expressed belief that they might have achieved 2/3 or better had WBAC been duly noticed and discussed far enough in advance of Salem to get the noses counted right...

As I said, and stand by, I simply expect those who feel passionately that a name change is needed will not give up, and that the name will be on the agenda in Perry next summer...

'Nuff said.. Let the games begin...

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:19 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Was the acceptance of MotorHomes, Squarestreams and Argosy's approved the first time it was brought up?

56% voted to change the name, that means only 44% voted not to. It had a simple majority, but not the two-thirds necessary to pass.

Quebec has been taking votes on declaring it's independence from Cananda for many years. Each time they get a higher percentage in favor.

It's not over until it's over.

Neal
Old 07-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #38
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleneal
56% voted to change the name, that means only 44% voted not to. It had a simple majority, but not the two-thirds necessary to pass.
Most politicians (pick your party) would call that a mandate!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
wow ... whatever the heck this club is all about, i'll never go near it ....
what a nightmare
Old 07-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #40

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
This club is not really about any of this, no matter what these guys will tell you. But everyone finds their own thing to enjoy, and some people enjoy politics.

Unfortunately the name change probably wouldn't have been a significant change to the experience of the members - some people see that as a reason to make the change, some see it as a reason not to. That the name change debate will steer people away from the club, cause some to drop out, and generally hurt it, is a real shame. The real value of the club is still in the people you meet in it, the friendship, travels, and shared experiences.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote