Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
As a forty something who has to work I can tell you that the organization is not designed for me. However I plan on joining the nearby chapter who's schedule seems to only have Grandkids events and month long caravans and subvert from within. On this website are a half dozen people like me in my county and we can create our own group in that chapter and plan the trips we can take. Lots of weekenders. That will allow us workers to caravan and keep that chapter alive with new members.
Count me in on any subversion. I was talking with my wife after I heard about the vote. I was wondering if another complete group was created as, say, "Airstream Owners Association" if Airstream (Inc.) would embrace it. Or are they so embraced with WBCCI that they would not even touch it. Never even thought of the subversive side.

[Posting from the International]

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #16
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
Quote:
There is nothing as positive as a subversive action in society...
I bet that your favorite founding father was Andrew Jackson.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Goin camping---I have already joined, didnt ya notice! I'm ready.

HHP---Although I did visit his crib, I think it is called Hermitage, or something like that, I couldn't find the son of a gun. Like Jackson, the only thing I have ever found is trouble, I guess that also makes me a "founder."
Old 07-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Hey, I have something for you to practice your MODerator skills on...there are two posts out there on the same topic, i.e., windowless a/c, that perhaps should be combined into one post. hint, hint
Done!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Whooo. Is this International a "First Timer" event for you? Certain aspects of Int. can be torture. Others are heaven. (hint: nirvana is in the VAC section)

Wish we were there... NO! Wish International were here! -rg (the one with the beard)
Yes, this is our first (pattyo and myboyburt are here together) and would be our last if if wasn't for the fact it's being held in GA next year and lots of our NEU and White Mountains NH Unit buddies will be attending.

For the most part International activities are geared to our older members, not much I'm interested in. My parents joke that they are parked in the dead and the dying section, this really pretty much sums it up - we rarely see anyone outside of their Airstreams. We have our own little happy hour nightly outside of my Parents MH and it's like a ghost town outside of our little circle.

Vintage is indeed the place to be, it's where the WBCCI rebels hang out (I love it).

At next years International I'll try to insure we are parked with NEU and WMNH folks or in vintage (my 93 Excella looks vintage after her restoration so I may just get away with it). Will be a heck more fun than being in the "regular" sections.

I think we need to get some of the International folks to attend this year's Region 1 Rally - they need to see how to entertain members of all ages, not just the retired folks.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
For the most part International activities are geared to our older members, not much I'm interested in. My parents joke that they are parked in the dead and the dying section, this really pretty much sums it up - we rarely see anyone outside of their Airstreams. We have our own little happy hour nightly outside of my Parents MH and it's like a ghost town outside of our little circle.
It seems like most of the sections (Vintage the exception) are the dead and dying section. We are in Blue 1-10, 1st trailer (#27380) and apart from our neighbor, Rich C and Rich, the area pretty much goes to sleep starting at 7pm (everyone at the evening entertainment) and nothing else after 9pm'ish. That is when I sit outside with my laptop normally and there is not much noise other than the trains.

I remember my parents joined WBCCI when I was 11. My father eventually became president of the local unit (Mt. Lassen, CA). Well, everyone was used to a certain pattern of where they go for the rallies. The same ones year after year, normally RV parks. My dad decided to change things around, dry camping, doing spots out of order, spots they have never gone to (gasp!). The majority of the unit didn't like it one bit. He was messing with tradition. Tradition is HUGE in this group but this adherance is stifling their growth.

This year at Salem the latest count was 1001 trailers. The last time in Salem (1971) the count was 2800+ trailers. Wonder why the difference? Hmmm...
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 07-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
My dad decided to change things around, dry camping, doing spots out of order, spots they have never gone to (gasp!). The majority of the unit didn't like it one bit. He was messing with tradition. Tradition is HUGE in this group but this adherance is stifling their growth.

This year at Salem the latest count was 1001 trailers. The last time in Salem (1971) the count was 2800+ trailers. Wonder why the difference? Hmmm...
In the NC units, tradition is a big thing as well. A few frown on some activities that are not "tried and true." I for one have been pushing the envelope in another direction. Try it and they just might like it!!!
Kev
Old 07-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Another Club?

Quote:
Count me in on any subversion. I was talking with my wife after I heard about the vote. I was wondering if another complete group was created as, say, "Airstream Owners Association" if Airstream (Inc.) would embrace it. Or are they so embraced with WBCCI that they would not even touch it. Never even thought of the subversive side.

The chances of Airstream Inc. embracing another club are probably slim to none. I doubt that they would even allow you to use their name.

An alternate idea might be to start a club for Silver Coaches: Airstreams, Avions, Silver Streaks, etc. You could make up a name that wouldn't stir up anybody's trademark and copyright lawyers, and you would be more in line with the great Wally's original idea of including more than just his own brand in his groups.

Getting it all organized and running wouldn't be quite as complicated, say, as starting your own auto manufacturing company, but would be close. Obtaining (and paying for) liability insurance and tax exempt status, are two items that come to mind right off. And of course, you would have to choose proper headgear, and make up your own traditions.

Neal
Old 07-01-2006, 11:35 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleneal
An alternate idea might be to start a club for Silver Coaches: Airstreams, Avions, Silver Streaks, etc. You could make up a name that wouldn't stir up anybody's trademark and copyright lawyers, and you would be more in line with the great Wally's original idea of including more than just his own brand in his groups.

Getting it all organized and running wouldn't be quite as complicated, say, as starting your own auto manufacturing company, but would be close. Obtaining (and paying for) liability insurance and tax exempt status, are two items that come to mind right off. And of course, you would have to choose proper headgear, and make up your own traditions.

Neal
It is interesting that Airstream was not incorporated into the name all those years ago when Wally started it. Perhaps he was not sure Airstream would survive and wanted to make sure it was NOT Airstream specific as you allude to. It is like interpreting the constitution and what the founding fathers meant.

I don't have a notion of starting another club, you wouldn't get me to bite on all that rigamarole. But maybe Wally didn't mean this exclusivity. How would the current members like that?
Old 07-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

As I understand the history of it, Wally didn't found the club. He would organize caravans to get people to use their trailers that he saw sitting in their yards. Wally would include anyone with any brand that wanted to go with him. A group of the caravanners decided to organize into a club, and got his permission to use his name for it. They are the ones who decided to be AS brand specific. It was not Wally's idea to exclude "SOB's."

So, those traditionalists who claim to be giving great honor to Wally by keeping his name in the WBCCI name are not following his vision of what the club should be.

Neal
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:

Only if the new group signs a very restrictive and one sided agreement with Airstream, Inc. One of the problems with the AOAI name. They are not tied into WBCCI that I have heard.

By the way, vintage is the place to be.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
"So, those traditionalists who claim to be giving great honor to Wally by keeping his name..." Did you read this somewhere or is this just your interpretation as to what has taken place?

You are correct -- the traditionalists that have tried to keep Wally Byam's name in the club are following the tradition of the WBCCI -- period. If you don't own an Airstream please try here:

www.TinCanTourists.com

You'll be more than welcome.

__

I did indeed read this somewhere. In Airstream Life, Summer of 2004, Page 53 in an article on the history of Wally: "Wally Byam, who was already
leading caravans which accepted multiple trailer brands in addition to Airstream, " and on the WBCCI website under History: "He was thus enormously pleased in 1955 when a group of his followers actually beat him to the next logical step; they founded a club of their own which would “localize” caravanning and put it on a year round basis. Of course, they named it after him." http://www.wbcci.org/index.cfm?pageSRC=History
I believe that I have also read the same facts in the Blue Beret. I still hold my conclusion that Wally was more tollerant of "multiple trailer brands" than the Club. And that "his followers" founded the club.

I also own an Airstream, my third, and I have been a member of the WBCCI for over 5 years. My Airstream says "Airstream" on the front, on both sides, on the back, on the VIN plate, and on the title. Yet not too many years ago my Airstream was excluded from the Club because it was not round and shinny enough to suit the traditionalists.

Neal

Old 07-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
This is good news

This kind of follows the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' theme. Rather than focus on the name change we need to focus on making unit events more interesting. Currently our group goes to boring RV spots that MUST have a dining hall. Whatever happened to sitting outside like the original WBCCI groups did?

It's more about playing dominoes and cards than seeing really cool scenery or parks. I've going to talk to our incoming president about how we might change this. Great news!!

Mitch
Old 07-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello swanny,

And that is it exactly .What has happened with the circle of friends/members
and the like .It is supposed to be the airstream experience ,the travel.
SEE MORE DO MORE LIVE MORE wally byam. Which of those things do we do?
I hope you can change the direction of the wbcci in your unit and the
places you go ,It starts within ,not with changing the name .

Scott