Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Question Thinking of Buying 1974 Overlander

Hi All,

DH and I have contracted Aluminitis (Stage 1) and are looking at a 1974 Overlander that has been advertised in our area. I was wondering if there was some way I could find out some history about it, since it has the ghost of a WBCCI number on it - 8371. We think it came from Ohio, based on the dealer sticker on the back (Ricketts Travel Trailers Cambridge Ohio). The current owners were not WBCCI members, and they are the second owners of this unit.

Any advice would be appreciated
Sylia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. We could probably tell you more about your trailer if you provided the serial number.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylia View Post
Hi All,

DH and I have contracted Aluminitis (Stage 1) and are looking at a 1974 Overlander that has been advertised in our area. I was wondering if there was some way I could find out some history about it, since it has the ghost of a WBCCI number on it - 8371.

Any advice would be appreciated
Welcome to the forums, and hopefully Airstreaming! I looked at a couple of recent WBCCI directories and it does not appear that number is currently assigned. That doesn't really mean anything, just that it hasn't been reassigned, lately anyway, since the original holders left the WBCCI, for whatever reason.

Several members of the forum, notably Streamer23 have collections of past WBCCI directories and may be able to tell you the former owner. You might drop him a PM.

Also wanted to mention that the Region 7 rally will be in Winnipeg this year for Folklorama, so come out and meet some of your Airstreaming neighbors, whether or not you buy the Overlander! For further information see the latest newsletter at the Region 7 web page. Region 7

See you up the road,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Rivet Photos and info

Thanks for the welcome.

The S/N is 127D4J2091. From what I can tell from the SN, it was built in Ohio, and I think it is the mid-double bed and rear bath floor plan - but I could be mistaken.

On the side badge, it shows (top: Jackson Center, Ohio) Airstream (bottom: Cerritos, California) on the left hand side, Overlander (in script) on the left hand side. In the middle, there is a light blue patch with the numbers K142 GC on top, the words LAND YACHT A TRAVEL TRAILER on a darker blue patch in the middle, and the SN on the unpainted bottom third. Can anyone tell me what that middle number signifies?

We have a photoshare up showing the outside of the trailer, along with a close up of the name plate with that other number on it. We are going to do a more thorough outside inspection tomorrow, and if things look good, we should hopefully be doing an inside inspection this weekend. Anything we should be on the lookout for?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The 70s models had a lighter frame and are more likely to have rear end separation in which the connection between the floor and frame in the rear of the trailer separates compromising the monococque construction. Jump up and down and the back bumper and watch where the body meets the bumper. There should be little to no separate movement. It is also a good possibility the axles have lost their resiliency. If the trailing arms have an upward angle they are shot. Horizontal is marginal. And if you jack up one side of the trailer you should be able to jack up about 3" before the wheel comes off the ground, 2 would be on it's way south and less definitely shot.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Syl,

I haven't a clue what the extra numbers mean. There are some real experts around who may see your post and be able to tell you.

From the pictures you posted, the axles look like they are probably OK. One rule of thumb is that the trailing arms should have a 5 degree down angle with the trailer fully loaded, in any case no higher than level. You can often tell just by looking at the wheels from the side. When the axles are shot the trailer sits so low the top edge of the wheel well is about flush with the wheel. From the pictures it looks like this trailer is sitting fairly high. But I don't know how heavily it's loaded.

On the interior, the biggest problem you might encounter is a rotten floor. The floor is plywood and if there are either shell or plumbing leaks there will probably be rotten spots. Small rotten spots can be patched or stabilized with penetrating epoxy (e.g. Git Rot) but widespread floor rot requires replacing all or part of the floor. That's a major job.

Aside from that look at the condition of the systems such as refrigerator and A/C. Replacing either of those is fairly expensive.

From the pictures it looks like it's in pretty good shape for its age--but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Best of luck,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
The S/N is 127D4J2091.
You have an:
International
27 foot
Center double bed
Jackson Center, Ohio
#2091 off the line.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Wondering about this

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info about the jacking and the bumper - we'll definitely try both when we are doing a closer inspection tomorrow.

DH had a question about one of the things he caught while blindly photographing the underside. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what this is?
The lower fridge vent? Or the LP line for the fridge?