Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
TAC appears to have passed into Airstream history. I attended several TAC rally's and enjoyed them and the people attending. Many of those same people are actively involved in moving the WBCCI forward. The WBCCI seems to be on a growth spurt if increased membership numbers and attendance at official/unofficial rally's are any indication. Positive changes are happening with more coming. It is gong to be a challenging year for our new club President and his team.
I actually like the TAC idea. I have a shirt with WBCC logo on it. When people ask what it means I tried to explain and the get a blank look until I say it's an organization for Airstream owners. Than the invariable comment is wow, they are cool campers !I knew nothing of the history history until I got involved by buying an Airstream.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #82
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
That was exactly my point. I wasn't aware of the history of the "TAC" name I suggested earlier, sorry to beat a dead horse.

I was simply thinking along the lines that Wally's gone and isn't coming back. Also, new buyers never heard of the guy and couldn't care less about him even after one goes through the motions of explaining it. They just want an Airstream and maybe to join an owner's group so they can camp, chat and chill with like-minded people.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstreams have various purposes for various people. Airstreams, as Wally conceived them, were "travel" trailers. They were used to fulfilled peoples' dreams of travel to distant places to explore. It was more of an intellectual/adventure thing. Wally, and the owners, found it was safer to travel together as a "caravan". He sold his dream and his trailers to many people.

The club was formed and was named to honor him. Later, people found that the trailers were good for individual travel in the United States and it became more economic to travel together as a club caravan. Even later, people found they could use them for camping and friends formed local units to enjoy the social aspect of camping (Rallies) together. The international club supported this to keep the group together and have large national rallies as well as caravans. However; the club did not change its name to indicate the dual goals and benefits of the club. The recent change to the club logo, now acknowledges the dual nature of the club and makes it easier to explain why people might find it beneficial to join.

After Wally died, the successive corporate owners of the company also designed and marketed larger trailers and motorhomes intended for use as winter retreats. Several WBCCI locals founded destination trailer parks specifically catering to this type of owner. A group also formed specifically tailored to the common interest of the "restorers". It is called the Vintage Airstream club within the WBCCI.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
. Also, new buyers never heard of the guy and couldn't care less about him even after one goes through the motions of explaining it.
This is simply an untrue generalization.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Consider me a new guy that had never heard of Wally Byam before. But I do care. His story is fascinating to me. And the history of the Airstreams is one reason I like them so.

Thanks Wally!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #86
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
All generalizations are untrue when applied to specifics. But you'd be surprised at how much truth there actually is to that generalization.

Playing Devil's Advocate… In my case, when I bought my Airstream in December 2011 I had never even heard of Wally Byam. When I was recruited to join WBCCI in January 2012 I wasn't told about Wally Byam— the other members of my Unit just assumed I already knew who the Hell he was. I learned just enough about Wally Byam on my own to realize that I didn't much care about him, any more than I cared about Henry Ford or Lee Iacocca or Sam Walton or Andrew Carnegie or Thomas Edison. Wally Byam belonged to my grandfather's generation. He was born four years before my grandfather, his main accomplishments were long before I was born, and he died when I was just four years old.

Yes, I know that's sacrilege to actually say that I have little interest in Wally Byam's life and times, and I'll probably catch endless flak over it. But to my mind, I don't have to venerate Wally Byam just because I bought an Airstream, any more than I'd have to venerate Thomas Edison just because of all the afternoons I spent at the cinema watching motion pictures.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Hey Protagonist....of all your post, this has to be the best. Well said/written. Wally Byam is an important part of Airstream, he is to be respected for what he did and all all of us who own Airstreams should be thankful.....but, it's the past. I for one want the organization to become more of an advocate for us with Airstream. Caravans, rallies and fellowship as well as sharing a common lifestyle are the benefits of a club. TAC was dead when I bought my first airstream 2.5 years ago. If it came back, I'd certainly join and want to get involved. The time and money spent on the ceremonial aspects of WBCCI/WBAC needs to go the way of the dinosaurs.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #88
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
We're all entitled to our opinions. Mine is certainly true for me and most people I talk to when they come up and ask about our Airstream. If it helps you feel better to believe otherwise, that's fine with me.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Most of the money that is collected as dues is spent paying the salaries, social security, and benefits for the four ladies that run the club from Jackson Center. The next biggest expense is the travel subsidies paid to international and Regional officers to help them attend the club rallies. Nothing is directly spent for formalities and flags. Each Unit buys their own flags and are used for years. About $36,000/yr is spent on insurance to make sure officers are not sued by members or campgrounds for mistakes they might make. Without the insurance protection no one would ever risk being a leader. You may request the quarterly financial statements from Jackson center by requesting them. They are not available on line.

The formality in the club mostly comes from the older members, who may have a military or academic background.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #90
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I scanned this thread again and haven't been able to find the post I was remembering. I think somebody posted some thoughts on the idea that it's not necessary to know the history of Henry Ford to appreciate owning a Ford. Similarly it's not necessary to know the history of Wally Byam to own and enjoy an Airstream. I don't disagree but want to point out that knowing more about Henry Ford and knowing more about Wally Byam will increase your appreciation of their efforts and likely bring about a deeper appreciation for the product you own.

Thinking in terms of a "family tree" the owner of a Ford is analogous to being a single leaf on a very large tree. The leaf, while important, is one of many - almost of no consequence - when it comes to the life of the tree. Ford makes so many products in a given year - measured in millions and made many, many millions over the years that any given owner is pretty far removed from the source.

On the other hand, an Airstream owner is a branch on a small tree. That branch is very much a part of the overall tree and is very closely associated to the roots of the product. Total production of Airstream products is probably measured in thousands, albeit many, many thousands.

While it's very possible (and fine for many people) to own an Airstream and not know much if anything about Wally Byam I suggest knowing more about him and the history of the product and WBCCI will change your understanding of the RV you own. For that matter it may change your understanding of the RV industry as a whole.

I like the idea of the club maintaining its association with the name Wally Byam. I have always thought Wally Byam Caravan Club International was a mouthful and didn't convey meaningful information about the club. Changing the logo to Wally Byam Airstream Club makes sense for many reasons. Keeping WBCCI as the official name probably makes sense for legal/administrative reasons.

For those interested in beginning to learn more about Wally and associated topics, here's a thread (there are many others) with interesting information.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...olo-44498.html

I've also attached a PDF from the above thread
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thank_You_Marco_Polo_book_jacket.pdf (2.39 MB, 36 views)
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Wally is the trunk. I'm just a nut hanging under 4 leaves.....
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Seems we can argue or debate or beat everything to death.

If you didn't know about Wally when you bought an Airstream, you couldn't care less about him now, why do you care about how the decal looks now for a club that doesn't work for you anyway.

That was a big change for the WBCCI, that was the push from newer members, young members and the people listening when change is asked for.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #93
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
If you didn't know about Wally when you bought an Airstream, you couldn't care less about him now, why do you care about how the decal looks now for a club that doesn't work for you anyway.
I am pretty much indifferent to the life and times of Wally Byam, but the club does work for me, because the club is not really about Wally Byam— the club is about its members. I joined because none of my prior friends were interested in any kind of RVing, let alone Airstreaming, and the club gave me access to friends who are interested. As long as I still have friends in the club and I still have an Airstream, I'll stay in the club regardless of name or logo changes. At least, as long as I'm never forced to wear a necktie…

And I for one never really weighed in on whether I personally like or dislike the new logo, only that I understood why some people might find it undesirable. To be honest, I'm indifferent to the logo as well— it's neither better nor worse than the old one. The club isn't about the logo, either.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #94
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I realize there are people in the world that don't care that humans used to communicate via paintings on cave walls and stone tablets. To some the only concern about communication is whether their smart phone has 5 bars.

IMO it's useful to know how communication has evolved in order to appreciate the tools we have at our disposal today. Knowing the past gives me a better understanding of where society stands today and where we might find ourselves in the future.

Oops! Gotta go - somebody just posted something on Twitter!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #95
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
History. Reading about Wally and all the caravans he took people on describing the trailers and there equipment and the tv used gives a total different perspective on today's trailers and how they are used or not used. One can learn much from the past as to how the caravaners lived day to day. The only current AS owners who have a clue are the boondockers amongst us.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
I started to post on this thread several times. I am one of those who actually had a vote on the new logo. The change was discussed at great length. We intended to KEEP tradition and our club name. That's why we kept WBCCI and Wally. We also intended to convey more about the club in our logo. That's why we added Airstream and why the logo lists Rallies and Caravans. For me, the club and the brand are here because Wally had a vision. I firmly believe the Airstream Company has that vision again. The club has, until recently, lost a large part of that vision. I think it is finding it again.

Was it major change? Hardly. Wally said, "Let's not make changes, only improvements". I think this was an improvement.
mbmbstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Is the club mailing these stickers out to members, or are they for sale?
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #98
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The change was just approved. No new product has been made yet. They will be available for sale as soon as existing stock has been sold out and new stock is ordered. The club store at the International at Lewisburg sold out of their inventory.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For those that can not wait for the new stickers to be ordered, arrive and shipped. You can print your own or have a sign company make one fo you.

http://wbcci.org/component/jdownload...logo-with-mask

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:46 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
That is a broken link for my Safari browser.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote