Old 07-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #57
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
When the OP brought up the use of Wally Byam Airstream Club I wasn't certain how I felt about the use of a new moniker. I appreciate the need to insert the word Airstream into web pages, links, documents, etc. related to the club. Using the word Airstream will certainly make finding the club easier.

A few years ago the WBCCI dabbled with new phrases that used the word Airstream but none of the proposed nomenclature went as far as issuing a new logo. In general I like the idea of new/changed logo. I also like the idea of local units incorporating the word Airstream in their URL to increase the likelihood of finding club related information.

For those whose sense of history is yesterday, last week, last year or even five years ago the logo may not make sense. Could the change have been implemented differently with a different outcome? Probably. Is the change bad? I don't think so. Will the logo change again sometime? My guess is yes.

For now, we'll wait and see what happens. Whether it's referred to Wally Byam Airstream Club or WBCCI or something else has little impact on the camaraderie and friendships that are made by being part of the club.

For those that don't join the club because membership cost $65+ per year, or focus on one or two imperfections, or, or, or... you may be missing out on lots of fun and adventure. I suggest you try it - you might find you like it.

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
When the OP brought up the use of Wally Byam Airstream Club I wasn't certain how I felt about the use of a new moniker. I appreciate the need to insert the word Airstream into web pages, links, documents, etc. related to the club. Using the word Airstream will certainly make finding the club easier.

A few years ago the WBCCI dabbled with new phrases that used the word Airstream but none of the proposed nomenclature went as far as issuing a new logo. In general I like the idea of new/changed logo. I also like the idea of local units incorporating the word Airstream in their URL to increase the likelihood of finding club related information.

For those whose sense of history is yesterday, last week, last year or even five years ago the logo may not make sense. Could the change have been implemented differently with a different outcome? Probably. Is the change bad? I don't think so. Will the logo change again sometime? My guess is yes.

For now, we'll wait and see what happens. Whether it's referred to Wally Byam Airstream Club or WBCCI or something else has little impact on the camaraderie and friendships that are made by being part of the club.

For those that don't join the club because membership cost $65+ per year, or focus on one or two imperfections, or, or, or... you may be missing out on lots of fun and adventure. I suggest you try it - you might find you like it.
I happily pay the dues to keep the organization going. I don't know of any other Trailer out there with the history of not only the trailer but its early creator. Talk about those adventures !

Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For a light read about these early adventures check out,

http://store.airstreamlife.com/produ...pecial-edition

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm curious to know who owns the Airstream trademark and if there is some sort of licensing agreement with Thor.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm curious to know who owns the Airstream trademark and if there is some sort of licensing agreement with Thor.
Good question. From the Airstream web site,

"COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK

All content on this website is owned by AIRSTREAM, INC., its affiliated companies, or by third parties who have licensed the content to AIRSTREAM, INC. and is subject to all applicable United States and international copyright laws and treaties. Subject to your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms of Service, AIRSTREAM, INC. grants to you a non-exclusive, nontransferable, revocable and limited license to access, use and display this Website and the content thereon for personal, non-commercial use only. No portion of this Website may otherwise be reproduced, modified or reposted to other websites without the written consent of AIRSTREAM, INC.

The AIRSTREAM name, the configuration and appearance of the AIRSTREAM® recreational vehicles, product brand names (including BAMBI®, LAND YACHT®, SAFARI® and others) and all other trademarks and logos appearing on this Website are owned or used pursuant to license by AIRSTREAM, INC. and/or its affiliates. The unauthorized use of these trademarks and logos is strictly prohibited, and you agree that you will not use these trademarks or logos in any way that suggests affiliation with, sponsorship by, or approval by AIRSTREAM, INC. without its express, written permission. If you have questions regarding AIRSTREAM trademarks, or for licensing information, contact AIRSTREAM, INC.’s Office of Sales and Marketing.

Individual documents made available on this website may be subject to different copyrights, trademarks and/or licenses."

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Newbie here not a member as yet still very undecided after my encounter in Sedalia,MO, been reading this thread with interest but have a ? What is IBT and VAC mean or stand for?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchie View Post
Newbie here not a member as yet still very undecided after my encounter in Sedalia,MO, been reading this thread with interest but have a ? What is IBT and VAC mean or stand for?
Sorry you had a bad encounter at Sedalia, but the club is changing.

IBT (International Board of Trusties) The board of the club, made up of the officers (president, to 3vp and the region officers)

VAC (Vintage Airstream Club) a inter-club of the WBCCI, dealing with vintage trailers.

Damon
Old 07-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Damon, thank you for explaining the acronyms. Now I'll be better able to understand when I read them.
Thank you for your concern over Sedalia . It was not pretty and actually I've had 3 other encounters with WBCCI members and all have been very ugly and rude. As a Police Chief if I learned that my officers acted that way to our citizen there would difinitly have been some retraining if not memos in their files.
But please make no mistake I still have an open mind and understand these where individuals not the whole group but like others it has caused me concern and I will see if things change.

For what it's worth I think the new logo looks very nice.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoyhere View Post
Exactly.

Here's how many times I have heard one of my friends breathe the word "Airstream" (without me bringing it up): Once, ever, in my entire life. And that one time, it was a friend of mine telling me he bought an Avion to fix up.

These are young people with money who love good design and spend on travel and experiences... like us, and our friends.

Airstream SHOULD be attracting these design nerds.

AirBnB can make staying in stranger's houses cool, surely somebody can make sexy, private trailers cool. (The Wynns do a great job but of course, another brand got to them first.)

An long-dead dude in a beret: Never cool. A serious whiff of fascist posters. (And I collect vintage posters so I know.)

A glossy brochure full of nothing but white people: Gross. We showed the official Airstream brochure (with its lovely embossing) to a few of our friends and every single one commented on the fact that there wasn't a single POC anywhere. Disgustingly 1950.

I've only had good experiences here on the forum so I'm excited to make the acquaintance of my fellow Airstreamers! But disappointed that we are the only ones in our very broad social network who will be doing this.

I do blame hamfisted marketing by people who don't get it.
Really? To suggest that the WBCCI's logo leans toward fascism is unconscionable. You state you don't belong to the organization so you are gleaning this only from a logo designed to honor the individual who's vision created the Airstream brand. That is quite a stretch.

In regard to your comment about Airstream not using people of color in their brochure, you are certainly inferring Airstream is being racist. If you are so offended by the corporate advertising, I am surprised you felt compelled to buy something built by such an insensitive corporation. If you bought the trailer based on its unique design and disregarded your feelings about the "disgusting 1950's style marketing", then you should thank (in your words) "the long dead dude in a beret".
Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #66
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
Really? To suggest that the WBCCI's logo leans toward fascism is unconscionable. You state you don't belong to the organization so you are gleaning this only from a logo designed to honor the individual who's vision created the Airstream brand. That is quite a stretch.
Not that big of a stretch. To people who know nothing of Wally Byam (which includes most non-Airstreamers) the image of Wally in his trademark beret might very well evoke comparisons to images of Che Guevara in his trademark beret.

If WBCCI is not a fascist organization— and since I belong to WBCCI I truly hope it never becomes one— then we must be able to accept criticism of the organization and its symbols, whether that criticism comes from within or without. You don't have to agree with those opinions, but you do have to accept that the opinions of others are just as valid to them as our own are to us, and just as worthy of being expressed.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Why does the WBAC still have the WBCCI acronym on the bottom half of the new logo?

Are there still two separate organizations, is WBCCi a sub-set of WBAC, etc.?

Old 07-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Response to Post 44

To ahoyhere -

As someone who has owned an Airstream and been a member of the club, for almost five years, I'd like to address the points you made in your post #44.

I'll leave your remarks in Bold and my response will be below.

Here's how many times I have heard one of my friends breathe the word "Airstream" (without me bringing it up): Once, ever, in my entire life. And that one time, it was a friend of mine telling me he bought an Avion to fix up. I'm not sure the fact your friends didn't know about "Airstream" means anything. None of my friends owned an RV or talked about Airstreams either prior to my wife and I purchasing one. My general observation has been that people who aren't interested in the RV lifestyle don't know much about the brands. Once people develop an interest in RV's, and begin to consider the purchase of one, they tend to find out about the major brands quickly. The market for RV's is large and there seems to be a brand to fit about every consumer taste and budget.

These are young people with money who love good design and spend on travel and experiences... like us, and our friends. Young people, middle aged people, and old people, I've seen all ages owning and enjoying their Airstreams. My budget did not permit me to purchase a new unit but the used market allows all income levels to access this premium brand. I'm glad you and your friends have the money to purchase a new one and perhaps when your friends have a chance to see your trailer, and hear about your experiences, some of them will develop an interest.

Airstream SHOULD be attracting these design nerds. Perhaps, perhaps not. No brand can be all things to all people. Iconic brands, like Airstream, stand the test of time because they are very focused in their positioning and customer target. If the brand doesn't appeal to some of your friends it may be Airstream is targeting a different set of "design nerds". The company must be doing something right in targeting and nurturing customers since the brand is 80 years old and is growing much faster than RV industry which is also experiencing double digit sales growth.

AirBnB can make staying in stranger's houses cool, surely somebody can make sexy, private trailers cool. (The Wynns do a great job but of course, another brand got to them first.) Perhaps the Wynns aren't Airstream's target market. They seem to have transitioned from a large motorized RV to sailing. Airstream may be focused on a customer who will enjoy the lifestyle for decades. Certainly the boxy Class A motorhome customer (i.e. the Wynns) is not Airstream's current target, since Airstream has not produced Class A motorhomes for a decade.

As an aside, I find the brand to be both iconic, modern, and cool. Apparently the thousands of people purchasing new Airstream trailers each year agree. Thousands more are pulling old trailers out of fields and barns, updating them, and making them cool again. Others are creating Airstream hotels, Airstream restaurants, Airstream boutiques, and Airstream bars. Any brand with that kind of energy must have a "cool" factor.

An long-dead dude in a beret: Never cool. A serious whiff of fascist posters. (And I collect vintage posters so I know.) I suggest you spend a little time researching Wally Byam. He was a visionary and an entrepreneur. Like most entrepreneurs he invested his savings and his life in pursuing a dream. Without Wally there would be no Airstream trailer for you to purchase and enjoy. His brand alone of the silver streamlined trailers survived and prospers today. Avion, Silver Streak, Streamline, and others were rejected by the public long ago while Airstream evolved over decades as tastes and preferences changed. That dead old man in a beret must have done something right since his vision prospers long after his passing.

Take some time to learn about Wally and you will find he was extremely "cool" and revolutionary for his time. It is amazing how many of his ideas are still modern and relevant. Wally is greatly respected in the Airstream community for his accomplishments and vision. Bad mouthing Wally, particularly when you throw around the word "fascists", will not earn you the respect of fellow Airstreamers. If you understood anything about Wally Byam, and the brand heritage of Airstream, you would know there is nothing fascist about either. You may know something about vintage posters but you seem to have much to learn about this brand and its rich history.

A glossy brochure full of nothing but white people: Gross. We showed the official Airstream brochure (with its lovely embossing) to a few of our friends and every single one commented on the fact that there wasn't a single POC anywhere. Disgustingly 1950. I suggest if you are unhappy with the advertising produced by Airstream, the company, you speak directly to management. Bob Wheeler (President), Justin Humphreys (VP Sales) and other executives from time to time pick up the phone to take customer phone calls. Spend a few minutes calling or writing the company to express your point of view regarding the "gross white people" portrayed in the advertising.

I've only had good experiences here on the forum so I'm excited to make the acquaintance of my fellow Airstreamers! But disappointed that we are the only ones in our very broad social network who will be doing this. One of the great things about this country is we still have the freedom to choose how to spend our own money in a very diverse marketplace with millions of product choices. When my wife and I bought our Airstream, and began camping, we enthusiastically shared our experiences with our long time friends. None of them followed us into the Airstream or RV lifestyle. While we were disappointed they chose not to join us in the Airstream community, we respected the fact they had other interests. The good news is we have made many new friends as we have participated gatherings organized on this forum (Canopener, Alumalina for example) as well as activities associated with the WBCCI. Certainly our lives are richer for these new friendships as well as the wonderful experiences we've enjoyed during our travels.

I do blame hamfisted marketing by people who don't get it. Your friends have made a choice for whatever reason. You can "blame" whoever you wish and allow negative feelings to diminish the enjoyment of your new Airstream or you can embrace others who enjoy the brand and lifestyle. You get to choose your attitude, your friends and how you spend the dollars the government doesn't take from you. As you travel you will find many wonderful people pursuing the dream and possibly a few people you don't care for. The quality of your experience will ultimately depend on your attitude -- celebrating the good or amplifying the negative. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I am. Live long and prosper!
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The official name of the club remains "Wally Byam Caravan Club International" (wbcci) only the logo has changed to let the general public know that the club is involved with Airstreams, Rallies and Caravans. The "International" word was dropped from the bottom of the logo for simplicity. To change the name of the club would require a vote of the membership and lots of legal paperwork. The Logo design only needed to be approved by the IBT. They did that at their meeting before the Lewisburg Rally.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for the clarification about the two names, however, in my personal opinion, the reasoning is only slightly clearer than mud.

Confusion will likely ensue, and doing the full name change will be seen as the right thing to do eventually, again IMO.

Expediency is seldom a sufficient reason for changes of this (half) order.