Old 07-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Are you serious?
Yes. That was the established dress code for the participants in the flag ceremony AND the delegates' meeting. The IBT had their own slightly more rigid dress code established in the "protocol book" sent out to all IBT members prior to the International, but since that's above my pay grade, I didn't get a chance to see it— not that I wanted to.

Rank-and-file members had no particular dress code for any rally events, except that they were supposed to wear their name badges and the ribbons that showed that they had registered and paid. Other than that, they could wear whatever they liked, within the limits of common sense and public decency.

In the Delegates' meeting at least, some iconoclasts defied the dress code, but for the most part they complied, however reluctantly in some cases.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Yes. That was the established dress code for the participants in the flag ceremony AND the delegates' meeting. The IBT had their own slightly more rigid dress code established in the "protocol book" sent out to all IBT members prior to the International, but since that's above my pay grade, I didn't get a chance to see it— not that I wanted to.

Rank-and-file members had no particular dress code for any rally events, except that they were supposed to wear their name badges and the ribbons that showed that they had registered and paid. Other than that, they could wear whatever they liked, within the limits of common sense and public decency.

In the Delegates' meeting at least, some iconoclasts defied the dress code, but for the most part they complied, however reluctantly in some cases.
Woah.

Ok, thanks. Interesting to know.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #31

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Woah.

Ok, thanks. Interesting to know.
Don't let it deter you from joining. The dress code for event participants has relaxed somewhat in recent years— neckties and berets are optional rather than mandatory, and no one even mentions blazers anymore— and I expect that trend to continue in the future, with dress codes becoming even more relaxed until there isn't one anymore. We shouldn't have to dress alike to express our group solidarity; our Airstreams do that for us.

Besides, as I said, for rank-and-file membership dress codes are pretty much a non-issue already.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Don't let it deter you from joining. The dress code for event participants has relaxed somewhat in recent years— neckties and berets are optional rather than mandatory, and no one even mentions blazers anymore— and I expect that trend to continue in the future, with dress codes becoming even more relaxed until there isn't one anymore. We shouldn't have to dress alike to express our group solidarity; our Airstreams do that for us.

Besides, as I said, for rank-and-file membership dress codes are pretty much a non-issue already.

No worries.

Heck, we're still just figuring out how to avoid locking ourselves out of the Airstream again.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
No worries.

Heck, we're still just figuring out how to avoid locking ourselves out of the Airstream again.
You mean besides not locking it at all?

A spare key hidden somewhere in your tow vehicle is usually sufficient. If you lock yourself out of the tow vehicle as well, a call to your favorite roadside assistance company can usually get you back into your tow vehicle, which in turn will get you into your trailer when you retrieve the spare key.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
You mean besides not locking it at all?

A spare key hidden somewhere in your tow vehicle is usually sufficient. If you lock yourself out of the tow vehicle as well, a call to your favorite roadside assistance company can usually get you back into your tow vehicle, which in turn will get you into your trailer when you retrieve the spare key.

Oh yeah...I had both spare key blanks I got cut today at the locksmith. I'll keep them in the truck for now I guess.

With the truck, as long as I have my phone, so can use the uConnect app to unlock it. Assuming I have my phone lol.

We were in Holley NY, and my wife had gone to check on the laundry. I woke up groggy from a nap and the Mini Schnauzer had to go find a bush.

I went out and a gust of wind caught the door, and it closed with an odd click.

Yep, no keys, no phone, zip.

By chance I'd left the rear hatch unlocked. The camp host eventually leant me his impact drill driver and I was able to remove the under bed panel to gain access, then fortunately was able to wriggle through the hatch.

Two hours later.

It was a character building experience.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Established dress code.

Stick a fork in it.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Last time I was in an organization with a dress code, it was as a Boy Scout Leader. I put up with it there as it was part and parcel of the programme.

Anything other than that, I don't see the need to be that formal.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Uncle Sam had a dress code for me a few years ago in the late 60s and early 70s..... Even selected the hairstyle - peach or cue ball.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Funny, you all have to the uninformed, virtually identical trailers, pulled by two or three lookalike tv types and you want to camp in groups. Yet you argue over a specific uniform that basically no one is required to wear. Have fun being different. Enjoy camping!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #39
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Uncle Sam had a dress code for me a few years ago in the late 60s and early 70s..... Even selected the hairstyle - peach or cue ball.

I get it. Antagonize the enemy so that they will do something foolish.

Every school year end, my dad would dig out his cold, manual hair clippers and shave most of my head bald. The ensuing attack in the play ground made me fast and smart but not tough. I guess it worked, sort of. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Ok, let's assume this is about branding. That would mean "they" want to increase membership. Ok, what we all have in common is an Airstream. I don't caravan and doubt I ever will. I am a member of the organization, but have begun to question why. This latest news is good. Make the club about owning an airstream, whether you caravan, boondock, or sit in a park. I for one would lose the Wally. I want to promote Airstreaming, as defined by the person who owns the Airstream...not Thor, not Wally.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Wow...

So, as a couple of brand new Airstreamers (and particularly young ones, apparently)... we'd planned on joining WBCCI because it's the thing.

But, dress code?? Berets? TIES?

Yuck.

It's not that I would ever attend a meeting that required a dress code, but the mere idea that people running an organization see it as something worth spending precious time and energy on is, to me, a huge waving red flag.

BTW, the logo is Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it violates several rules of design, including one called "nose room." Unless poor Wally is meant to look like he's in the corner, being punished in time out, and glaring evilly at the viewer.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Exactly right. The organization spends entirely too much time on itself, and not its members. Imagine an organization of owners that had a smart corporate head that could bring the power of its membership to influence Airstream....that would be worth participating in. The whole promoting an ancient past to Wally does no one any good. It's a part of history, respect it, and put a plaque up,somewhere. But time has come to focus on today and tomorrow.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote