Old 02-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
The Numbers

We are new to Airstreaming but with the purchase of our AS we thought it would be appropriate to join and support WBCCI. We received our membership and two sets of numbers. I have decided that I do not want to place the numbers on my new AS and I hope I won't be offending anyone by not using the numbers.I also have a number from the Forum which I consider equally important and I would like to participate in various functions and was wondeing how others feel about placing their numbers on their AS.Is there perhaps another way to display the numbers at a smaller scale?

Old 02-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Welcome

Hello... Yes you can put them on a piece of plexiglass and just hang it in the window... we have ours done also in stained glass... used only when parked..

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Placement

Some people are also purchasing the clear static cling platic and sticking there number to that and then on the Airstream,Windows,Exterior or where ever else it will stick.The plus is you can remove it anytime you need and place it back on.Really cool stuff.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The main reason that we joined WBCCI is to have a number. We display both the WBCCI and the Forums nuimbers.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
No one will be offended. if they are then well they have a problem.
I am going bald soon. A trailer without numbers is called a "Baldy". I took my numbers off my rear and they will be removed from the front when they replace the panels.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
By the numbers

As for me, I just don't think a vintage Airstream looks right without the numbers, and I will be proud to display ours as long as WBCCI remains the Airstream owners association.

But for whatever reason, some people don't want to put those big red numbers on their trailer (or MH) and you see many at rallies with their numbers on plexiglas panels displayed in windows. That's OK, too.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
As you can see, there are as many answers as there are forum members. We like our numbers on our AS for a few different reasons. First I am going bald so I see no reason for my AS to be also. Second, we don't travel anywhere without our directory and it's always fun spotting numbers and see who it is and if they are on CB you say hello. Third, when meeting people at a rally and inviting them over after the campfire you can't say "We are the Airstream next to the tree", yea, four hundred AS's and half of them are next to a tree. What ever you decide is perfect!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello... Yes you can put them on a piece of plexiglass and just hang it in the window... we have ours done also in stained glass... used only when parked..
Love the 'stained glass' idea. Very original.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Yes, some members do not want to put their numbers on for various reasons including thinking when it comes time to trade or sell the numbers will leave a "ghost marking" which is true.

The area where it is really necessary is when you are parked with other "silver twinkies, etc" and an emergency occurs needing someone such as an ambulance driver to find your rig by day or night. Without a number visible in a prominent spot, both front and back it could be a "life or death" situation. Can you imagine the difficulty finding a specific trailer among 1,000 others? A procedure that helps by night guide emergency staff is turning on the vehicle lights.

Some members have resorted to smaller numbers on the window covers which makes them difficult to locate at times. And as has already been mentioned displaying your numbers allows you friends to find you quickly.

We are on our third Airstream and proudly display them. However, displaying them on a plastic board which is clearly visible is certainly better than not displaying them. At the International and other rallies where rigs are dumped by "honey bucket" companies, a list by WBCCI number is often used - no number - probably no dump!

One way you can, or should attract the attention of Club members is not to display any numbers - you should receive lots of visits by current members thinking you are not yet a member and are there to "welcome" you.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I found that white numbers on the dark window covers/windows front and rear do the job and are even more visible than the red numbers. In addition, they don't fade like red.

Expect some flack from the die hards, but just brush it off.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
I found that white numbers on the dark window covers/windows front and rear do the job and are even more visible than the red numbers. In addition, they don't fade like red.

Expect some flack from the die hards, but just brush it off.
I think there's a rule that says they have to be red.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McKelvay
Yes, some members do not want to put their numbers on for various reasons ......

The area where it is really necessary is when you are parked with other "silver twinkies, etc" and an emergency occurs needing someone such as an ambulance driver to find your rig by day or night. Without a number visible in a prominent spot, both front and back it could be a "life or death" situation. ..........
As a former Firefighter/EMT and member of a county 911 board; I find this approach to providing access in emergency situations negligent on the part of rally organizers. If an organization wants to be coercive to get members to bear its brand that is their choice, but to organize the rally such that emergency personnel must rely on this branding is poorly conceived at best. I would strongly recommend that any organizers of these mega rallies rethink this procedure, and those of you who attend them to demand a safer system. The requirements of health and safety should never be dependant on a desire to enforce conformity with organizational vision. Sorry if this sounded snitty, but thats how I see it.

***please note I do not assert that it is Dons position that this is a good method ( I assert nothing about his position whatsoever) I take his post as an oportunity to address what I regard as a poor management policy****

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkytheKid
I think there's a rule that says they have to be red.
It is my trailer and my numbers. Besides, rules are made to be broken!

For me, the problem may well be mute after my 2007 membership is done
Old 02-26-2007, 04:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Slow down boys, this was a interesting question by a new person. It should not stir political tones.
I am also a new member and just interested inlearning, traveling, and enjoying new people.
Perhaps there should be a political forum to vent, but take it easy on us new folks.
Nancy