Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #57
Rivet Master

The BB does serve as a good source of knowledge for unit/Region/International and Special Event rallies and the drum beat of “Come to the International Rally”. Every now and again, some good reading shows up (Thanks Leo and others that sent in stuff).

If you are looking for an “Airstream Life” type magazine, “No” it’s not going to fill that need. That’s why Airstream Life was started.

Frank, I have many of the old Caravanner’s and “Yes” they are great to read. I find them to be a little of “Airstream Life”, a little of the “Blue Beret” (a page full of rally dates) and a little of the “Airstream News Letter” (that THOR sends out via the net) all boiled down to about four pages of a standard size newspaper.

Is there room for improvement, “YES”, but that is with anything. If people want to make the Blue Beret” something more than what it is, folks need to send in pictures, ads, articles.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #58
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Leo, look at it this way, Rob didn't retreat.....he's just reloading!

If the circumstances were right, I'd rejoin too, but I refuse to let my dues go to a bunch of bloviating knuckleheads who think they're above everyone else.

I admire your passion, I really do but, if you keep banging your head against the wall, you're going to knock yourself out!

Better to choose the strategic option and hit them where it hurts....their wallets!

When the fiscal pain gets too unbearable, they'll cave.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
firstly, I've always wonder why we did not hookup in some way with Airstream Life, such as, gettting a group discount? using that 86,000 dollars to include a subscription with membership, and having a Blue Beret "insert" of rally schedules and such in the editions that went to club members?
I enjoy reading it, as I'm a long time Airstreamer at 48, I've been airstreaming for over 30 years. But I was very suprised to learn that two new members and friends of mine, at 46 and 49 also enjoy it!
That being said. I don't show it to potential young members as there appears to be no pictures of anyone under 70! granted they may still be the majority in the club, but we are talking about perception and marketing right? Where are the photo's of campfires, kayaking, kids?????? VAC meets? After the International where are the pics of the Vintage parade, and the top Concours trailers and owners? Where are the pics of International that would promote it to those who have never been?
I'm sure there are one or two there somewhere but I can't remember any
Dan
Old 01-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
I don't show it to potential young members as there appears to be no pictures of anyone under 70! granted they may still be the majority in the club, but we are talking about perception and marketing right?
Dan
Very good point Dan. Just because I'm old, I don't want to hang out just with old people (then I couldn't be with my wife). We have friends ranging from their 40's to more than 80.

Your idea of a deal with Airstream Life is also a very good idea.

Gene
Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Long ago

Suggested that long ago.. but was told "What" that only comes out 4 times a year... plus it was said - Who says Airstream Life wants or would put something in their publication for WBCCI... because not all subscribers are WBCCI... I agree - a good idea and worth exploring.
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #62
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would love to comment but my membership to The WBCCI has lapsed. I love my Airstream Life though. It covers so many diverse topics and stays main stream. "stream" I was not intending the pun. I hope it remains independent as long as it is published. I am sure if the WBCCI wanted to take out some ad space they could advertise their International there.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #63
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Just Realizing...

I am just realizing that so much goes on that members have no idea about. The whole Blue Beret issue has been part of the 2020 Committee Report. Following that report several meetings have been happening to work out a different Blue Beret, (as well as many of the other points of the report). Including informational meetings with the publisher of Airstream Life, who has had very good suggestions and recommendations. It just hasn't jelled yet. Hopefully the Winter IBT will have more about all that for us.

In the meantime, I am also realizing that we should be sending our photos to the Blue Beret for publishing. The NEU has tons of campfire, kayaking, etc. with all ages including families. Thanks Dan, that got me thinking. We just don't send them in.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
I am just realizing that so much goes on that members have no idea about. The whole Blue Beret issue has been part of the 2020 Committee Report.
Pam,

Many of us have read the 2020 report and are very pleased with many of the ideas being floated... the problem for us is that by the time 2020 rolls around the last two of our five kids will be juniors in college. We can't wait till 2020 to get things on track.

Good luck to those who have all that time to wait!
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Helen Byam Schwamborn was a forward thinker....I am willing to bet that, if she were involved in the WBCCI today, she would have dumped the Blue Beret in favor of an excellent web site to quickly disperse information to the members.

I find the Blue Beret to be a big disappointment, and I rarely read any of the articles to completion....I think we, as WBCCI members, should be given the option of receiving it in hard copy or in PDF format, saving the WBCCI $$$. Meanwhile, I read Airstream Life from cover to cover! I also find the Good Sam Magazine contains a wealth of information at times.

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I would love to see good pictures and fun and interesting articles as well as two sides of business motions and candidates in the BB instead of coupons as an insert I would toss from a paper. Month after month of blah blah blah region news and repetitive rally coupons is an entire waste of printing and postal costs. If someone can't clip it the first time we all should not be penalized the next nine times with space devoted to forms.

Put some controversy in and make it palatable, informative and interesting. Propoganda went out of style a very long time ago!!!!

I never would share a magazine if I wanted someone to join, it looks and reads like a retirement home publication.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Periodicals are taking a beating these days. Many magazines are closing shop because of the internet. Heck you can get the internet with your cell phones. I just think it is the times we live in.

Brian
Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
But there is redundancy and filler galore in the Blue Beret. Each month we hopefully peruse the pages and each month it takes a few minutes and then cast aside. The content is lacking. My preference is printed material but there has to be content...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #69
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Periodicals are taking a beating these days. Many magazines are closing shop because of the internet. Heck you can get the internet with your cell phones. I just think it is the times we live in.

Brian
Brian,

I agree, however there are still some rags out there that are doing well. I am a member of the BMW Car Club of America, as well as the Cummins Turbo Diesel Register; both have periodicals, BMWCCA's Roundel is monthly and the TDR's Turbo Diesel Register is quarterly. I read both publications front to back several times, because the articles are interesting. Same thing goes for Airstream Life. As Carol said, content makes the mag. If the Blue Beret publishers thought toward the future and revamped their publication, I'm sure that more people would read it, making the yearly publishing expense worth it. Personally, while I love the hell out of the internet, I like going back to my saved issues of the Turbo Diesel Register and Roundel and read the how-to's, especially if either of my vehicles need some wrenching...for those who are going to make the argument that I drive a Powerstroke now, some of those TDR how-to tips still apply.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #70
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
Meanwhile, I read Airstream Life from cover to cover! I also find the Good Sam Magazine contains a wealth of information at times.
Rich Luhr and his entire staff, are all very well versed as to "how to capture a readers interest".

The Airstream Life Magazine, while still in it's infancy, has set many standards that it's readers enjoy, from it's very first issue.

I may be wrong, but, I look forward to the Airstream Life Magazine and it's crew, some how, some way, becoming even more involved with Airstreaming, in many positive and enjoyable ways.

Rich Luhr, to say the least, knows how to get the job done, and very professionally as well, period.

Andy