Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Wow, nice deflection! Why would anyone defend an organization that they have never belonged to?
You all keep saying that, but I did belong for 1 year many years ago......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #42
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
So good, you are quitter just like me. Or did you resign too? I just know that as someone with no horse in the race, you sure do ride like a paid jockey.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
I don't disagree with a some of what yer saying Tim. My take is that if you have the talent, why not give it a crack? So last go around didn't wind up how you thought it should go, is that a reason not to try?

Eric, tell me you are joking! After my last experience with the ECSC, its chairman, its forums provider, the letters written to IBT leaders and grievance experiences I have had, I have ZERO desire to do anything for WBCCI until the atmosphere changes drastically. And I mean drastically.

I think there is a whole history there that you are not aware of, more than what you have been told by the folks you are now working with. I did recuse myself from the ECSC for several reasons including the direction the “committee” was taking with the forums. Since them it was told that I was not “chosen” because others produced a superior product (that was just one statement, there were others). I just don't really want to go through all of the stuff again.

What I can say is that after the whole experience, I am hanging on by a shredded thread to WBCCI. It has really caused me to think about how important this club is to me anyway. The VAC is important to me but I have not yet found a reason to renew in the WBCCI. I like others around here have had it with the double standard political games. Only the VAC will benefit from my talents for now. They have not played games with me and have supported my efforts. I will continue to contribute to them long after my membership in WBCCI has lapsed. WBCCI has clearly indicated to me what my worth to the club is. I feel no further need to contribute in that arena.

Nope, somebody else can try to put a site together – maybe even your forums provider will do it as an additional contribution to the club. Heck, it could all be integrated together like I did with the VACs site. If he does, it will surely be superior to anything I could put together and right now, the club needs the best it can get. I cannot give my best to the club. I could years ago but not now.

And really Eric, as “for” WBCCI as you are, you should have joined a long time ago. Your joining should not be dependent upon whether or not I do a web site for WBCCI. You have an opportunity with NOVA. I say go for it, for you are likely to be a much better advocate for WBCCI and a fresh new unit than I could ever be at this point. I am sincere in saying that. You are now the hope for the WBCCI turnaround. Ball is in YOUR court.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #44
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just re read this thread and as it begins, I keep picturing one of those cans. The can says "NUTS" on the side and nothing else. Not sure what is inside the lid is popped and instead of nuts a huge spring covered in cloth jumps out and bops Dale in the nose. I get the distinct impression that Dale did not intend for this thread to go the way it has.

I still hope people send me their copies of The Caravanner
Old 12-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #45
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
And you're no longer a member why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I just re read this thread and as it begins, I keep picturing one of those cans. The can says "NUTS" on the side and nothing else...
Speaking of nuts, I'm reminded of the response of then Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division Artillery Chief and acting Division Commander in the absence of Major General Maxwell D. Taylor, to the Germans when they demanded his surrender during the Battle of the Bulge.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #46
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
I get the distinct impression that Dale did not intend for this thread to go the way it has.
I suspect that your assement is correct. On the other hand, that is a risk you run when you start a thread with the apparent purpose of cheer leading when the topic is a disputatious one.

(and good luck finding the old Caravanner issues)

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
You mean our current day critical issues have been discussed, debated, and published ad nauseum for at least the last 17 years?

Say it isn't so Rita, tell me today is tomorrow, and it's no longer 1992...

No wonder we've dropped from ~15K members in '92 to ~6K members today. OUCH!

__
17 years.... like I said, look at how many have grown white and or have died "waiting" Leo. I started Streamin in 98, but did not join until 2001 as I was moving and was looking for that right unit.... I couldn't imagine to be the one waiting since 92.. or longer...

Keep on waiting Leo - Keep on! Thanks for the fodder by the way! It's good stuff! Oh, and don't forget the aspirin - it helps the head bangin! When they told me the WBCCI was a bunch of Head Banging Vagabonds, I had a total different image when I signed on...

Waiting 17 years @ $55 a year = $935

Waiting another 17 years @ $75 a year = $1275....

.... spending my $1275 on my family Streaming not having to worry about what the IBT is doing with my $$$$ --> Priceless!

Oh, in 92, I was a 2ndLt out in California......

The favorite USMC Generals that I worked for, taught me that it's ok to question and ask why, especially when something was obviously screwed up. As the command's Information Management Officer, process and understanding processes was my job - so I got used to asking "Why?" alot!!!! So, ask yourselves "Why am I giving these bozos my hard earned money?"
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Did you notice in the 1992 Blue Beret that the IBT took a voluntary reduction in travel reimbursement to balance the operating budget for 1993? How times have changed.
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
If the purpose of the Blue Berret is to publish rally and caravan schedules, why not publish only twice a year? Sorry, it's really a ongoing advertishment for the International Rally. Answered my own question.

I look forward to receiving Airstream Life every quarter; I usually can't wait to get it. Why don't I look forward to receiving the Blue Berret? Because it's always the same just differernt pictures.

If you want to see a good club magazine look at the FMCA monthly publication called FMC magazine.
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #50
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland

but perhaps this one is more fitting

Old 12-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #51
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
slightly different labeling but the same train wreck in the end....

Couldn't stop watching could ya?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Is this an over simplification?

The WBCCI leaders see themselves as the club owners and not members.

The BB is another venue at their disposal to speak to their members.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Quote:
slightly different labeling but the same train wreck in the end....

Couldn't stop watching could ya?

These wbcci related threads always remind me of a trainwreck, too Frank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tfs_mm_outdoortrainwreck.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	93155  
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT View Post
The facts are this is a great club full of great people (sorry you opted out, away from all of your friends).

Our problem is at the top, their system, the fact that they self-select and preordain those that agree with their going nowhere, doing nothing clique.

The membership deserves so much better.

Unfortunately messages from the leadership 17 years ago appear to be primarily unchanged, and that's the saddest part of all...

__
Agree.... yes, I opted to stop supporting the leadership but you continue to do so by giving them $$$ - plain and simple... away from all my friends - Come on Leo - I don't need to be in the WBCCI to go camping with my friends....

The problem is at the top.. and will remain there forever until people stop supporting them... with $$$$$ - that's the ONLY thing they know.. they obviously have no idea on how to communicate or LEAD!

Keep funding the clique - I'm not.. .when the clique dissolves - and it will if the thing they need to keep on "clique-ing" goes away, I'll be back!

Oh yeah - come end of Jan / Feb, they'll be saying Leo G? He's not in the book either.....

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #55
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
These wbcci related threads always remind me of a trainwreck, too Frank.
A little of that kind of train wreck and the club would be a much kinder and gentler place. Bet there would be a lot more sharing and brotherly love too. I am sure the Blue Beret would be in full color. Technicolor in the eyes of the readers.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:56 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
I am Thinking that the wbbci executives will use pdf bb format to save money , so it can reduce our wbcci dues, then more maybe people will join the club.At $75 .00 per year dues people want more not less.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #57
Rivet Master

The BB does serve as a good source of knowledge for unit/Region/International and Special Event rallies and the drum beat of “Come to the International Rally”. Every now and again, some good reading shows up (Thanks Leo and others that sent in stuff).

If you are looking for an “Airstream Life” type magazine, “No” it’s not going to fill that need. That’s why Airstream Life was started.

Frank, I have many of the old Caravanner’s and “Yes” they are great to read. I find them to be a little of “Airstream Life”, a little of the “Blue Beret” (a page full of rally dates) and a little of the “Airstream News Letter” (that THOR sends out via the net) all boiled down to about four pages of a standard size newspaper.

Is there room for improvement, “YES”, but that is with anything. If people want to make the Blue Beret” something more than what it is, folks need to send in pictures, ads, articles.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #58
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Leo, look at it this way, Rob didn't retreat.....he's just reloading!

If the circumstances were right, I'd rejoin too, but I refuse to let my dues go to a bunch of bloviating knuckleheads who think they're above everyone else.

I admire your passion, I really do but, if you keep banging your head against the wall, you're going to knock yourself out!

Better to choose the strategic option and hit them where it hurts....their wallets!

When the fiscal pain gets too unbearable, they'll cave.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
firstly, I've always wonder why we did not hookup in some way with Airstream Life, such as, gettting a group discount? using that 86,000 dollars to include a subscription with membership, and having a Blue Beret "insert" of rally schedules and such in the editions that went to club members?
I enjoy reading it, as I'm a long time Airstreamer at 48, I've been airstreaming for over 30 years. But I was very suprised to learn that two new members and friends of mine, at 46 and 49 also enjoy it!
That being said. I don't show it to potential young members as there appears to be no pictures of anyone under 70! granted they may still be the majority in the club, but we are talking about perception and marketing right? Where are the photo's of campfires, kayaking, kids?????? VAC meets? After the International where are the pics of the Vintage parade, and the top Concours trailers and owners? Where are the pics of International that would promote it to those who have never been?
I'm sure there are one or two there somewhere but I can't remember any
Dan
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #60
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDureiko View Post
I don't show it to potential young members as there appears to be no pictures of anyone under 70! granted they may still be the majority in the club, but we are talking about perception and marketing right?
Dan
Very good point Dan. Just because I'm old, I don't want to hang out just with old people (then I couldn't be with my wife). We have friends ranging from their 40's to more than 80.

Your idea of a deal with Airstream Life is also a very good idea.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote