Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It's an unnecessary and somewhat artificial distinction. Why divide a common bond? We're all fellow Airstream enthusiasts under the (sometimes all too thin) aluminum skin.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2003 33' Land Yacht 33
Fort Myers , Florida
I liked Lawrence Welk as a kid and I still like his reruns. I've been a rank amateur singer in choirs all my life and, to this day, can appreciate the difficulty of performing on stage and getting people to applaud your performance.

I wish I had Mr Welk's attitude; he made millions of people smile and he made millions of dollars in the process, the American way!
alvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Not so sure about the Ancients

I don’t think they should be called Ancients until I am convinced that they can build a Stargate and associated technologies.

Besides, what would Myron Floren think?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Quote:
PS no matter how old I get I will never be "a Lawrence Welk type".
You may never be a Lawrence Welk type, but when we get to that age, the young folks may be referring to us as "those (insert here - Rolling Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Acid Rocker etc.) type and with the same inflection!. Don't forget, we will be "that generation" at some point if we are fortunate enough! I hope I make it.
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
I don’t think they should be called Ancients until I am convinced that they can build a Stargate and associated technologies.
Best answer ever!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebb
You may never be a Lawrence Welk type
My gosh, It's happening...... As time passes I find a inexplicable attraction to accordians, polkas, ledderhosen and yodeling. And those Lennon sisters are hot.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Oh, oh, if we are going to start labeling folks I'm in great personal trouble.

What will I be labeled? Chubbier than I would like late fifties. Suddenly and disappointingly dependant on my wife and friends for transportation. Wish I had enough hair to look like it's gray. Like music - it doesn't matter by who or when it was made, I enjoy good music. I struggle with rap though (had to point that out). OMG, I sound like those people who are in their late seventies and eighties all of a sudden. I must admit I do look forward to my Blue Beret but only to see who lives nearby that may have joined.

I find it appealing that these folks have kept alive and for a long time nurtured the club so that it is still alive today for us to take on. Somewhere along the way some of them have had a disconnect with the younger generations who are coming on stream but that is only a time issue and as the clock ticks those issues disappear. Very few clubs have survived 50 plus years so these folks haven't done too bad a job. When the time comes those of this generation willing to take up the torch and evolve it to suit the new expectations of the majority of participating members will at least have a functioning, and for the most part vibrant, organization to remodel.

I do like the "kids" one only because I hope someone will think of me again that way.

Barry
Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #28
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Lipets, I'm sure there is more than a little humor in your post.
Dave, of course there was humor to the suggestion.

I wasn't trying to group anyone who was just per say "older" I was trying to group the IBT, the Rulers etc.

I said " I thought it would fitting when referring to those WBCCI RULERS ."

Those rulers who are set in their ways.
Those rulers who run the club in military fashion
Those unit leaders that tell members their kids are too noisy, please don't return to the next event with them.
I can go on with this list....

I was at Perry, saw the process.

Those of you who didn't see it first hand IMO Ancients, describe the Rulers very well.

I think it time for a major change, I believe it will not happen on the path the ancients are on.

If new blood with new ideas don't get elected to run the Wbcci it be no longer.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 AM   #29
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I think it's unfair to even NEED a term to use when lumping all of the old members together. Why do they need to be lumped together anyway? There are a lot of people in the club who are older than me, some who have been in it forever, some who just joined, some who care a great deal about the club, and some who just go to an occasional rally, some who are open and welcoming to new members and new ideas, and some who are a bit more set in their ways. How can you cover these people with one banner?

An "us vs them" attitude does nothing to help the club, or to get what you want done. There is no need to lump everyone together under one label. How about we just continue to treat everyone as individuals, respectfully, and with an open and positive attitude?

Plus I don't think 'ancient' really describes most of the people I've met in the WBCCI - many are older than me, but they're still more active than I am! I sure hope I'm still active & traveling when I am in my 70's & 80's like many of them are!

Shari
Shari-

Karma coming your way!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I would have go along with Shari.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Don't Call Me "Late for Dinner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Great First Post - Welcome to the AirForums. I know a few Seniors that qualify for that title.
Clancy Boy,

Just call me Pee Wee

Dale
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Best answer ever!
Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the Karma! You know what my first thought was, don’t you? Actually, it explains a lot. The Ancients aren’t missing; they are on an extended inter-galactic caravan. Checked out your batboat blog. Interesting color history. I kind of like the two-tone blue look. Paler shades, but still somewhat reminiscent of the stripes on the side of my Excella.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Why not just "senior members?"

Even though becoming a senior can have it's health issues, being called a "senior," and respected as one, is a little nicer that "Mr. or Mrs."

Our country recognizes seniors in many ways, and I think we, as WBCCI members, should stay with that.

Some of our younger members, don't know and won't know what it's like to a "senior," until they get there, and hopefully their health will permit them to do that.

Most seniors have made many accomplishments in our society in their younger days, and some still do, so lets just be polite, and respectful, to all seniors, club members or not. As far as I am concerned, they deserve it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Why is there all this talk about the elders ?

I hope to live to see my 70-80's.

I'm just 41.
My father died much to young at 64.

My oldest uncle is 87, elders do and most of the time deserve the respect.

Just listen to them speak of the way things used to be in the "good ole days"

Fascinating stories!

Only a few years ago, students started calling me sir at work.

That was hard to get used to.

I guess I'm not a kid anymore...
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
American Indian culture teaches respect for your elders; they have the knowledge of experience and the wisdom of what traditions are of value.

When I was a child I saw no value in the elderly member's beliefs. My generation was the first to discover sex, drugs and rock and roll (music).

As time passed I discovered I was more like my elders....I hate the noise of "rap music". 1960's thru 1970's rock and roll is now elevator music. And the values my grandparents believed in are as true as ever...Except...

Except I wore a beret in the U.S. Military in the earily 1970's.....and the WDCCI berets look goofy. I refuse to wear one...under any penality. Ha
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #36
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC
Except I wore a beret in the U.S. Military in the earily 1970's.....and the WDCCI berets look goofy. I refuse to wear one...under any penalty. Ha
Thank you for wearing the beret in the service of our country.

The Ancients I'm referring to are being grouped as ancients not for their chronological age but for their archaic demands on making us to conform to their ways.
Case in point their demands on YOU to wear a beret.

Ancients has nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing to do with AGE, it is an attitude and a demanding one at that!

I absolutely respect my elders I take offense to anyone suggesting other wise.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
The Ancients I'm referring to are being grouped as ancients not for their chronological age but for their archaic demands on making us to conform to their ways...Ancients has nothing, nothing, absolutely nothing to do with AGE, it is an attitude and a demanding one at that!
Rather than The Ancients, perhaps Luddite would be a better term? There's no age limit on being a Luddite.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
New to WBCCI viewsl

Okay here are my .02, I'm a new WBCCI member, we just moved up to a Airstream in October 2007(we had a cute Thor T@B teardrop trailer previously). So we where exctied to find a airstream club. But now that we are members it's very obvious that our age group ( I just turned 40 this year) isn't the core of WBCCI, if your not retired and 65+ then the club isn't for you. But to be fair, we haven't attend any rallys or events yet, but from receiving our units membership roster it looks like we are youngest members!!

I haven't given up yet, and every Airstreamer we have met has been super nice and helpful. We are planning on doing a rally or two this summer.

But I would agree with some other comments that people have made. Airstream is selling to a new customer base, models like the CCD (which we have) are attracting a new breed of younger owners. If the stats are true and only 18% of sales are to WBCCI members then where are these other 82%??

I'm taking a wait and see attitude, I'm going to do a few events before I complain about anything. The only comparision I can make is with the Porsche Club of America (PCA), which I'm a member of and have been active with the local region for over 10 years. PCAs moto is simple "It's not the cars, it's the people" and I'm hopeful the same is true for WBCCI.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:30 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Damon,

You are dead on with your Porsche club motto of it being about the people and not the cars. Same with my car club - the cars are the common thread that got us together but it's all about the people. And that's what WBCCI is.

It is a huge accomplishment for any car, trailer, widget or whatever club to have survived over 50 years. The torch will soon be passed on to others as the current executive work their way through the system. We owe them a round of applause and a thank you for keeping the club alive so far.

I'm glad you joined WBCCI. We need more 20, 30 and 40 year old people joining and making sure they have voting privileges so we can drive the change needed.

It's important for us to vote in executive who will work for change. We need to do it in a manner that is respectful, professional, and willing to blend the new with the history of the club. That history is a key component of what makes WBCCI so unique. As with any evolution (versus revolution) these things take not just time but participants willing to step forward and work the system patiently to create the change needed.

Relative to you I'm an older guy but I can assure you mentally I'm still thinking I can do what I was doing when I was half my age - much to my wife's dismay I might add. I am hopeful that today and in twenty years people won't look at a body that is obviously well used and abused but instead will only see the twinkle in my eyes, the laughter lines imprinted on my face, and a mind and attitude that have always been "can do" and in learning mode. I may be set in my ways somewhat, but that's just because I'm comfortable. I can get over that with some good natured ribbing.

All the best
Barry
Old 01-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets
Those unit leaders that tell members their kids are too noisy, please don't return to the
That right there will keep new blood from joining the wbcci. As a new Airstreamer, if I wanted that kind of treatment I'd go visit a mobile home retirement village in Hemet.

Most parents do their very best to keep their kids quiet, but it's practically possible, and traveling is miserable for the kids if not allowed to have fun. The Geezers... er Elders need to remember this.

On the other hand, yes, screaming yelling kids at all hours of the day ( & night) can get quite annoying. That's one of the reasons we don't go to big RV parks. Perhaps the solution would be to have segregated areas where those that don't want to deal with screaming all day can be in a buffered quiet zone. Maybe this is done.. I don't know... I haven't been.

~E
airbassador is offline   Reply With Quote