Old 04-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Hi David, long time, no see! Will you be coming to the RMVAC rally in Creede, CO this summer?

Also, thanks for the recap, but guess what? The tag line that the WBCCI is using is already "under supervision" of THOR (I've been told this by our Region Legislative Chairman). If we continue to use "Wally Byam Caravan Club International, the Airstream RV Association", and vote to make it the Club's official name we will still have to sign a contract with THOR.

I have always been against a name change, but that does not mean that I'm not willing to make a compromise. Like most of the membership we are trying to be reasonable, but the problem isn't so much changing the name as it is one of changing who is in control.

If Jim Franklin's suggestion is any indication there certainly appears to be a move to give THOR control over some aspects of our Club. That would be unconstitutional. Doesn't the IBT get that? Or, if they do get it why are they doing this?

At the meeting, "the straw poll was virtually unanimous in favor" of Jim Franklin's compromise "new name." This indicates that the membership still doesn't get it, and it has the appearance, once again, of a bait and switch tactic. So, let's be clear about it, THIS IS NOT ABOUT CHANGING THE NAME -- IT'S ABOUT GIVING CONTROL OF OUR CLUB TO THOR!!!

Ask yourself this, if we are already using "Wally Byam Caravan Club International, the Airstream RV Association" then why would we need a vote to make it our "new" name? Isn't that our old name? The entire effort is to get the word Airstream into the Club name so that THOR can exercise control over its trademark and logo. If we continue to use the tag line as an official part of the Club name we will find ourselves in the same position as the Vintage Airstream Club. THOR will force us into a contract and will take control of all merchandising in the same way that it did with the VAC. Notice that the VAC still does not have any of its merchandise for sale.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Let's Make Something Happen

I would like to respond to two comments.

"10-20% of the membership should no longer be controlling the club. The membership should be controlling the club and it can be done – easily."

and

"If you want to have a change in leadership then to affect that change you and others must form a caucus to represent your ideas."

I am very concerned about the voting procedures of WBCCI. This issue would be a good place for all concerned members to start as we work toward improving how WBCCI functions. I see no reason that this cannot be a grassroots movement.

The current voting procedures are flawed and outdated in many ways. Below are the current policies from the WBCCI By-Laws so that you may review them and offer your thoughts for improvement.

ARTICLE XVII
DELEGATE VOTING

Sec. 1 A delegate to the annual meeting shall cast the total entitled votes of the constituent unit as determined
Bylaws by a vote of the regular and members present and voting at a regular or special meeting called for that purpose, with such vote expressed as a percentage of the votes for or against and the results applied to the total entitled regular member vote count of the unit. Exact half votes will be cast as halves and fractional votes of more or less than half will be rounded to the nearest whole number. Except that a delegate may cast the total entitled vote of the constituent unit in whatever manner he determines proper on any matter which has not been previously determined by a vote of the constituent unit. (7/5/96)

Sec. 2 Voting on procedural matters shall be as the delegate sees fit, voting one vote per unit.

ALSO NOTE………………….

ARTICLE VI
CLUB ORGANIZATION

Sec. 4 Mail ballot procedures are authorized for all votes to be taken by units provided the unit Constitution or Bylaws permits such a ballot. When a mail ballot is used to obtain a unit vote on any proposal, no other method of voting on such proposal shall be utilized. (6/22/91)

Perhaps we can formulate a proposal for new voting procedures and work to move them through the proper channels. Some pertinent issues are:

1. If your club votes at a meeting and you cannot attend, you cannot vote.

2. Apportioning the votes of attendees to the whole club membership may not actually represent the feelings of all of the members.

3. If you are a member-at-large, you cannot vote.

4. If a Unit is comprise of working aged people, none of which can attend the Delegates' meeting due to their employment, then they don't get their votes heard. Same thing if you have a small unit where everyone is past long distance towing age.

5. No ballot is issued from the International level. Do you think it would help clarify the issues being voted on and the voting process to have all members looking at an identical ballot with the items being voted on clearly stated?

6. Should voting occur electronically?

These are a few concerns I have. What do you think? I say, let's fix it!

Renee Ettline
2nd Vice President
Region 3

Old 04-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #31
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
It means little to me...

...what the WBCCI is called. As I'm not a member and don't plan to be.
Except, I really hate to see the iconoclasts take down another piece of our heritage.
Jerry
Old 04-07-2006, 12:05 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Renee,

I agree totally. Right now I have to compose a mail ballot for our Unit. One would think that the ballot would be issued from WBCCI HQ so that it would be standardized throughout the Club. Will the one I create be the same as others? Who knows? Some Units apparently have already voted on the issues. How did they do that when the motions and action items were only mailed to Unit Presidents last Wednesday? Obviously, they didn't wait to see what the exact language would be. Was their vote proper then? Who knows? For voting to be fair it has to be standardized. Each voter should see the same ballot so that collectively we know we voted on the same issue.

I really like the idea of including the ballot in the Blue Beret. That's how the Denver Unit is going to get its ballot out -- it will be mailed with the Unit newsletter. Every membership gets the Blue Beret. There wouldn't be any additional mailing cost. Brilliant! So, why hasn't it been done already?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Leo,

You made some really interesting points about the Basecamp that I hadn't thought of before. I especially found your comment about an empty Basecamp toy hauler valid. Why should we consider that a travel trailer?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Last year there were SOB of trailers parked at the end of the fairgrounds opposite our rally. Some of those SOB trailers were toy haulers with ATV's in them. The teenagers raced around on those ATV's late into the night right past my trailer. It was difficult to get to sleep that night. We had to sleep with the windows closed because of the dust that was kicked up. I can't say that I would be happy to see an ATV pulling out of a Basecamp at a rally.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Speed is a BAD thing??

Sort of?, but since it is late I am getting smart-alckey.

So speed ( ATV speed particularly is an issue), and speeding around at 'X'am, but then, they are merely trying to over compensate for they F*ggly coaches and trialers/ haulers, they show up in.

AirStreams look wicked FAST just standing still, AS/Design is the Bomb!!!!! - with Lisa in the kitchen whippin' up an Itatian FEAST!

OK, heavy stone in the right hand, small piddlie stone in left hand. Balance points CLEARLY to the AS side of the test. AirStream RULES!!!!!!!!!

Hope that all is sorted soon.

And just so I close on an isue that is VITAL to me - Toys-R-Us have "SLOW - Children playing" signs are rediculously inexpensive to prevent a child being run over by a camper more interested in his campers condition - while there are VERY often many little ones that need to have the 15 MPH enforced STRICTLY!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:15 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I would doubt there would be room for a toy to come out of the "hauler' at a rally. I would buy one in a minute if I could afford to have another AS. And I would not put a "toy" in it. I think it is very cool and different and worthy of its Airstream brand name. Obnoxious can come in all Airstream shapes and sizes, it should not be assumed it will be the Base camp owner. I think the rally scenerio would easily resolve itself. Even with my Classic I modify for the gathering and I am certain any Base Camp owner choosing to attend a rally would follow suit in like manner of respecting the group and being practical about its usage. Many AS owners carry their motorcycles in the van or in the pickup bed now. The base Camp is a reality. You would need a better argument to convince me that it does not belong in the club because of possible shiny silver pup tents being in the club. And I would definitely bring my shiny pup tent to the rally, of that you can be sure! I don't think the sensibilities of those who have satelite dish farms, flamingos and tacky trailer trash decor ensembles would feel assaulted. I think it would be embraced. That's the point ---think out of the norm, be open, have fun with it. It's cool.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Perhaps we can formulate a proposal for new voting procedures and work to move them through the proper channels.
Renee -- Needless to say, your voice is a very welcome addition to this conversation. Thanks for opening the window and letting some fresh air in.

My thoughts on changing election procedure:

- Each member unit ("unit" being a single WBCCI member number) should have one vote. Each voting member should have the option of voting either by mail, by electronic vote, or in person at their unit's business meeting if their unit holds one. Each member's ballot should look the same so that all WBCCI members are voting on the exact same wording. Each member's vote should be counted as it was voted. This would be very much like stockholder elections that are carried out by companies across the country and around the world every day.

- The delegates meeting to present the vote would be just a formality and a chance for delegates to meet in person and share the ideas, concerns, and emotions expressed by their unit's members. Open discussion should be encouraged from the bottom to the top. Meetings should be open to members who wish to attend by letting the meeting planner know in advance (by a certain date) that they will be there.

- I'd like to see a cyber unit (? not sure what you would call it) developed for members-at-large. Members could meet at a password-protected website (perhaps sponsored by WBCCI?) to receive news and information or discuss meeting up with other members at informal rallies or rendezvous. This would not only help solve the problem of voting rights for members-at-large, but it would help those who are unable to attend rallies and events because of their distance from the closest unit, their busy schedules, or because they are fulltiming and on the road, to be more involved in WBCCI.

Again, thanks for joining in on the discussion here. I just wish we had been able to make election procedure changes before this name change business came up.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
David, I think your report sounds wholly reasonable and I hope it reflects thinking throughout the club membershp. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #39
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
"flamingos and tacky trailer trash decor ensembles."

OK now things have went to far !

Say what you will about the club name change, and the inclusion of the Basecamp.

But do not say bad things about my Flamingos !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Carol -- I agree with you. If the basecamp had sleeping room for a family of four, I'd want one. (And with two small kids, we'd be hauling plenty of toys. )

It's a trailer, and it's made for traveling. It's a travel trailer. Aluminum coated fiberglass? Who's to say that Wally wouldn't have done that? A couple of Wally Byam quotes:

"A well-built travel trailer is so feather-light you almost forget it's there after the first few miles."

"Adventure is where you find it, any place, every place, except at home in a rocking chair."

Wally Byam Caravan Club is not just about owning an Airstream, any more than it's just about owning a silver monocoque constructed travel trailer designed by the man himself. It's also about Wally Byam's spirit of adventure and hitting the road (caravanning, exploring, finding comraderie) with what you need to live out there, and about thinking outside the box (the white box), innovation, streamlined design, beauty in design. The Basecamp also just happens to be silver aluminum and built by Airstream Co., the company that builds Wally's trailers and which shares it's roots with the WBCCI.

If I get to vote , I'll be voting to allow it in.

-J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basecamp.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	20239  
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Basecamp modeled after 1935 Torpedo

The Base Camp is not that different from what can already be seen at rallies now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torpedo.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	20240   Click image for larger version

Name:	basecamp.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	20241  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
I'm all for going off on a tangent, but I wonder if we could get back to the original thread? What parliamentary strategies are available to stop the name change? Surely, out of all the people reading this thread someone has some experience with Robert's Rules, and can provide an alternate strategy?

For instance, according to RONR the motion to "Postpone Indefinitely... is useful in disposing of a badly chosen main motion that cannot be either adopted or expressly rejected without possibly undesirable consequences." It is a motion that allows the assembly to "decline taking a position on the main question" and its "adoption kills the main motion (for the duration of the session) and avoids a direct vote on the question."

Are there any Delegates reading this thread who would care to jump in?