Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
WBCCI 11067 WDCU

1986 25' Sovereign
Atlanta , Georgia
Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Paul,

Let me be the first, and let me know how I can contribute - $25 from my cauffer!

We need a kids neighborhood at International... a pool, a blow up gym, maybe some clowns (Obie?)....

Paul is just full of great ideas, I love it!

Rob
The sponsorship is a good fresh idea, Rob's idea is a great idea for anyone trying to convince their family that the International could actually be fun. Sign me up for Rob's idea, my kids would have a ball!!!!
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
ckeysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Paul, count me, Anna, and $100 in for the cause...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	63944
Sorry I did not double space for effect.

Maybee, buzz buzz

it wood

make me appear

moore

inter tell-igencia,

and more smart 2

On a serious note... if you are not happy with the course the ship is sailing you have three choices;
A) follow the set course and hope for the best.
B) Talk a bunch of stuff about how bad it is and how it could be better, but do nothing to actually influence a change.
C) Take the helm and sail the ship where you want it.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
Hey Paul. I like the idea. I am in for some cash.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Paul, where do I send the check and who do I make it out to?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #25
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Interesting Idea

I generally like the idea but suspect headquarters may not be accepting of the name - Pirates...

I'll give some thought to contributing since I believe the club does need a shake up. Along those lines I think it's appropriate that we lobby the club for a virtual unit. I suggested this in person at the member share meeting in Perry, I subsequently sent a letter to the president (last year) and have now sent an email to the 2020 committee recommending a virtual unit.

A virtual unit could be a nationwide (perhaps worldwide) means of participating. I think it would capture a large number of MALs and would capture an untapped portion of Airforums members. I think it's an idea whose time has come. We are in the 21st century after all and there are plenty of organizations and social networks that are entirely virtual. I realize some would not join because their anonymity (sp?) would be compromised.

VIRTUAL UNIT - what do you think?

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
I don't want to hijack the Pirates thread since it is a conversation worth having (and if accepted, I would be willing to throw some dollars towards) but --

nvestysly -- you should start a fresh thread titled -

"VIRTUAL UNIT - what do you think?"

its a concept that has legs and w-a-a-a-a-y past due!

--------------------------------------------------------
digger bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post

VIRTUAL UNIT - what do you think?

Lucius
For practical purposes virtual units already exist. WDCU has members all over North America (maybe the world). As I recall dues are only a buck (much less than the MAL surcharge) and you can keep track of unit activities and vote online. Ditto the Four Corners Unit.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Why?

So why would I want to give $$$ to support a meeting or White tux event? To support old WBCCI activities that don't draw new members?????

I may be a little thick but I don't get it.
Now if you were asking for $$$ to support entertainment like the Eagles or some other band or big name entertainer then I'm in. But to fund a meeting or dinner, hell that's what my rally fees should cover.
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
...VIRTUAL UNIT - what do you think...Lucius
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
...its a concept that has legs and w-a-a-a-a-y past due!
this IS a recurring good idea...

and there is a LONG exchange of ideas related to it here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...nit-22293.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
So why would I want to give $$$ to support a meeting or White tux event? To support old WBCCI activities that don't draw new members?????

I may be a little thick but I don't get it.
Now if you were asking for $$$ to support entertainment like the Eagles or some other band or big name entertainer then I'm in. But to fund a meeting or dinner, hell that's what my rally fees should cover.
Ed--

Maybe I can 'splain.

OK - on account of dwindling membership due to death of older members, possibly wholesale expulsion of "undesirables" by the Ethics and Grievance Committee [Ed--have you gotten a grievance yet?], etc., the WBCCI is losing money.

So, sez they, let's see if we can get commercial sponsors for specific International events. In return for which the commercial sponsor will be talked nicely about and get free positive public relations.

How about, for example, "This IBT meeting brought to you by Thetford RV sewage handling products." Hmmmm. . . well, maybe not.

But hey, it's an opportunity for non-WBCCI Airstream organizations like Airforums to generate a little positive publicity among WBCCI members. Seriously--can you imagine "This Delegate Meeting Sponsored by SaveWally.org"? Now that has possibilities!

Or, "This Grievance Committee Hearing brought to you by Airforums.com"?

I think there are real possibilities for positive image building here!

Cheers,
Nuvi
Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
You can count Rhonda and I in too Paul.
My Grandmother always said "you can catch more flies with honey than you can vinegar!" The interesting thing about flies and honey...they always come back for more.

Send me a PM paul and tell me where to send the dough!

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #32
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
my Grandfather always said "shut the heck up boy" no, really he did, but he also said "lead by example" There has been so much negativity about the actions of those in charge, I feel it is time to "show them" or "learn them" of how WE want the club to be. Tired of the way it is, learn them of how it is going to be. Learn them by doing it and not backing down.
You see, Paul is a sharp knife. He is not bucking the system, he is using the system to create change. I think many would be wise to follow his lead here.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Funding is Going to Change Their Ways?

So if I understand this right..........

Funding an event, meeting whatever, is going to change the IBTs way of doing things?

Is that the intent?
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
legal piracy...

Another off-the-hook idea: Why don't we all contribute some cash to purchase WBCCI's debt? Then when they default, we can take over, and fix the problem.
Just an idea...
Old 07-18-2008, 06:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I think that it is more of a way to show that we are willing to use the system they have. That we are willing to do something rather than just flap our collective jaws.
Being a internet based group, makes us seem like ghosts. If we start showing up and working with in the system, I believe the "us vs. them" mentality may start to go away. It is a good chance to get our foot in the door so to speak.

Sorry if I went way off track........
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Let me be clear

Let me be clear on this one,

I "Personally" have asked WBCCI HQ for "Overthrown by Pirates International" (A company I own) to sponsor both IBT Meetings (June 26th, July 5th) at a cost of $250.00 a peice=$500.00. This has "NOTHING" to do with the "Airforums" Sponsorship. I "personally" do not think they will take me up on my offer based on the name of the company and the "Pirate" thing I did in Perry, GA., which is their choice. I hope they are willing to take my check for $500.00. If not, so be it. I am only trying to work within the system for change that I feel is needed for the club to keep sailing along. That is it and nothing more.

The "Airforums" Sponsorship is a "totally seperate" sponsorship that has nothing to do with mine. I only came up with the idea, have put the "Airforums" sponsorship before the WBCCI as well and I'm waiting to hear back from Cindy Reed on both.

I personally think "mine" will be shot down and they will agree to the Airforums sponsorship.

Again, trying to work "within the system" for healthy change that is needed for the club to survive.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
sharp az a swored dat one... matie. Fighten dad good fight wit in...
Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Emerick View Post
So if I understand this right..........

Funding an event, meeting whatever, is going to change the IBTs way of doing things?

Is that the intent?
In the long run, maybe yes. In the short run, do a little to show the non-internet-active members of the WBCCI that Airforum members are not quite the bunch of malcontents that some would make us out to be.

Case in point--at Bozeman the Region presidents got together to host one of VAC's happy hours, and I understand they did so with a generous hand. (I wasn't there--had a conflict with something else.) Why did they do that? Maybe to show that the Region presidents are not really the bad guys that VAC members might think (from the actions of one former Region president)? I think it probably did just that. (Heck, at least one Region president we know tows a vintage Airstream. . .)

Money talks, and if sponsoring an event or two at International helps to give the WBCCI the idea that Airforums members are not such a bad bunch after all, it's money well spent, IMHO. [And I'll put some of my money where my mouth is.]

Cheers,
Nuvi
Old 07-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
In the long run, maybe yes. In the short run, do a little to show the non-internet-active members of the WBCCI that Airforum members are not quite the bunch of malcontents that some would make us out to be.

Case in point--at Bozeman the Region presidents got together to host one of VAC's happy hours, and I understand they did so with a generous hand. (I wasn't there--had a conflict with something else.) Why did they do that? Maybe to show that the Region presidents are not really the bad guys that VAC members might think (from the actions of one former Region president)? I think it probably did just that. (Heck, at least one Region president we know tows a vintage Airstream. . .)

Money talks, and if sponsoring an event or two at International helps to give the WBCCI the idea that Airforums members are not such a bad bunch after all, it's money well spent, IMHO. [And I'll put some of my money where my mouth is.]

Cheers,
Nuvi
And one region president I spoke, with is currently looking at a vintage trailer to purchase.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Just say "NO"

All,

I got the call today from Cindy Reed at WBBCI with news about both “mine” (Overthrown by Pirates International) and the “Airforums” offer to sponsor some of the events at next years WBCCI International Rally.
  • The answer back on my company “Overthrown by Pirates International” was “No”. The reason: the name of the company was a little much for them. Though I don’t like the fact they said “No”, I can understand why and did not really expect them to say “Yes” so this comes at no surprise.
  • The answer back on the offer from the “Airforums” group to sponsor an event was also a “No”. The reason giving was; The “Airforums” group is looked at as “competition” since they also have “numbers” and “rallies”.

I will say the answer to the Airforums offer did come as a shock to me and deeply saddens me. I guess this answer gives a bunch of insight as to how the Airforums group is viewed and why many IBT members have said the things they have in the past. It appears some members of the IBT can’t “See the forest for the trees”.

So in the words of Rodney King, “Can’t we all just get along?” I guess not!

Maybe I was giving “some” WBCCI IBT members a little more respect than I should have in the past and thought they were a little smarter than they are. I’m now of the mindset “some” have no vision, no leadership skills and are truly not “LEADERS” of the WBCCI, just mere managers of a trust fund created on the backs of the members of the WBCCI over the past 50 years.

Once again WBCCI members try to help bridge the gap to the other side with the IBT and the IBT makes the valley that much wider!

I should have known!

“Innocence gave me confidence. To go up against reality”