Old 04-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Smily's BB article

Hey Smily, I loved your article in the new BB about working families attending rallys. We were literally laughing out loud as I read it to my husband! It pretty much described most of our rally experiences last year, having breakfast at the crack of dawn, showing up after the rally was almost over, but hey, we still try to get out and enjoy a rally when we can. I'm almost surprised the BB wanted to publish such an article, but I'm glad they did. It is the first time I can say I actually enjoyed an article in teh BB! Good work!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Beautiful , New Hampshire
I agree! I also read this to my husband and we were laughing out loud. Quotes from the article: "We are the part time WBCCI members that drag up the rear and show up late Friday evening after making the mad dash home from work...." And, "We are glad you finally made it but you've missed dinner". That's us!

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I loved it, too. in fact, I seem to remember having that exact conversation at a rally last fall...finished setting up w/ a flashlight in the dark.

I think its great that these issues are expressed in the BB. maybe some of the old school (you know...the one's w/ the funny hats) will read it.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
When I expressed those same concerns to a member of our unit, he told me us young folks just needed to 'buck up and try harder'. Sometimes I think some of them have been retired so long they forget what it's like to have to work and only get out on the weekends! So I'm glad to see Smily putting it out there in a humorous way for everyone to ponder.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I look forward to Smilies articles in the BB. They help me get ready for what is to come when I get on the road. I think that with the support of my wife and the help I get here and the insight from Smily it will work out for my family.

Keep it coming Smily!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thank you for the kind words. The WBCCI is definitely interested in seeing and hearing the results of these articles that "hit home". That is why they have agreed to post these articles. It is as I have said all along, they are willing to evolve, they just cant do it on their own. It takes feedback from some persistant people, not just the ones that come for one event and make a decison not to come around any more. Sometimes ya gotta bring your own paint.

I think you will find that next months article "hits home" just as much if not even more, especially in this crowd. Stay tuned...........................

Smily
Old 04-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Hi Smily, great article, as a 14 year member I know that I(we) can't make every Rally in the club, but I can dream can't I ? I have made a cross section of Rallys in the past,some we have been there all week and the rest we get there late friday nite. I have never been treated like an outsider by anyone just because we got there late. The members have always welcomed me and the wife to join in . We have made lots of friends from all over Region 2 and beyond the boundries. I say if you want to be friendly you have to EXTEND that Hand First .So any of you Wanne-a -bees Don't let negative people Scare You Off !! Airstream'n is a great way to see your back yard now and the open highway when you RETIRE !! Only 411 weeks till retirement.. airstreamhobo
Old 04-12-2004, 12:01 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
I agree, you can't expect any changes if you're not around to encourage them. I signed up for a second year and they put me on the committee for youth and family. Well, actually I think we're the only ones on the committee right now but we'll try to encourage other 'youths' to join us and figure out activities they'll enjoy. Actually, we won't have time to attend more than a few rallys this year, but we'll do what we can. I have to say though, despite the laughs we had at Smilys article, we really do enjoy our unit and the great people in it.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
any chance

To see a copy of that article? Perhaps it is posted somewhere for those who aren't members or have BB? We are new Airstream owners since November. Will be going to Homecoming but not sure of rallies and clubs because of work schedule so the article sounds like it does indeed hit home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Thank you for the kind words. The WBCCI is definitely interested in seeing and hearing the results of these articles that "hit home". That is why they have agreed to post these articles. It is as I have said all along, they are willing to evolve, they just cant do it on their own. It takes feedback from some persistant people, not just the ones that come for one event and make a decison not to come around any more. Sometimes ya gotta bring your own paint.

I think you will find that next months article "hits home" just as much if not even more, especially in this crowd. Stay tuned...........................

Smily

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote