Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Lightbulb Slate of WBCCI Officers for 2006-7 What if we said "NO"

Have you noticed how little we know about the people who are nominated to the IBT offices? We get a resume, but what do we really know about them? How they feel about our club, the name change, the declining membership?

Well after looking at the 3rd resume I have been sent as a Unit President asking for my vote I decided to ask. I have e-amiled several potential officers

The next question is what if I don't like their response? What if I shared the response with others? What if we said no I don't think you will move the club successfully into the future. What would happen then? Would the nominating committee have to search for someone who suits us?

What and interesting thought...
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesch
Have you noticed how little we know about the people who are nominated to the IBT offices? We get a resume, but what do we really know about them? How they feel about our club, the name change, the declining membership?

Well after looking at the 3rd resume I have been sent as a Unit President asking for my vote I decided to ask. I have e-amiled several potential officers

The next question is what if I don't like their response? What if I shared the response with others? What if we said no I don't think you will move the club successfully into the future. What would happen then? Would the nominating committee have to search for someone who suits us?

WOW! Great question!!! This one will have me thinking for a while.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Again, a set of hypotheticals that revolve around the responsibilities of the individual members. The answers are simple.

|If you don't like their response?| Don't vote for them.

|Share a response with others?| Isn't it your duty to civily discuss the qualifications, credentials, and opinions of your association's potential leadership with other members?

|What if I said no?| Voting (having a say) is a right of membership. It goes with the responsibility of accepting the outcome of the vote whether or not you voted in the minority or majority.

|Search for someone who suits us?| This is undertaking the global 'we' as in 'versus them' which is a cancer in an association. There are appropriate ways defined by the associations rules and policies that you should follow. Work with people to become a member of the nominations committee or run your own campaign or join the campaign of those who do 'suit you.'

Membership is not something done to you. Leadership is not annointed. This is an association of its members. As a member you can take the responsible route and become involved for appropriate and proper change working with the other members - or - you can isolate yourself, denigrate other members with whom you disagree, foster discontent, and generally work to destroy your association.

If you don't like something, lead for change. Do so responsibly by positive change in educating other members about the value of your views and helping them use the decision process of the association for change.

Carping, conspiracy mongering, ad hominem, segregating populations and other destructive tactics are not those I would recommend.

Doing as you have done - asking questions, communicating, learning about who wants to lead, and fostering discussion - these seem like a good idea to me if they are kept positive and within the established rules and procedures of the association.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
Again, a set of hypotheticals that revolve around the responsibilities of the individual members. The answers are simple.

|If you don't like their response?| Don't vote for them.

|Share a response with others?| Isn't it your duty to civily discuss the qualifications, credentials, and opinions of your association's potential leadership with other members?

|What if I said no?| Voting (having a say) is a right of membership. It goes with the responsibility of accepting the outcome of the vote whether or not you voted in the minority or majority.

|Search for someone who suits us?| This is undertaking the global 'we' as in 'versus them' which is a cancer in an association. There are appropriate ways defined by the associations rules and policies that you should follow. Work with people to become a member of the nominations committee or run your own campaign or join the campaign of those who do 'suit you.'

Membership is not something done to you. Leadership is not annointed. This is an association of its members. As a member you can take the responsible route and become involved for appropriate and proper change working with the other members - or - you can isolate yourself, denigrate other members with whom you disagree, foster discontent, and generally work to destroy your association.

If you don't like something, lead for change. Do so responsibly by positive change in educating other members about the value of your views and helping them use the decision process of the association for change.

Carping, conspiracy mongering, ad hominem, segregating populations and other destructive tactics are not those I would recommend.

Doing as you have done - asking questions, communicating, learning about who wants to lead, and fostering discussion - these seem like a good idea to me if they are kept positive and within the established rules and procedures of the association.
I'm not sure I'm understanding your message here. I'm looking to communicate, ask questions, and foster discussion. Are you saying I'm carping and not steping up to the plate?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Put your name in the hat. The club needs motived officers.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:

I agree this is valuable thinking. Can you tell me who gets a resume? presidents, do members get to view such? Wouldn't it be great to have permanent space online to view positions, credentials, and post questions directly? Information should be included as well in every newsletter and BB. Those not willing to be subject to the public eye, need not apply.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Yes, do regular members have any say who get's elected at this level??
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
The presidents get the resumes with a request to read and present them to the club members. The members vote on the candidates. If there is a split vote the delegate from that club must vote as did the club directed. Each member in the club has one vote, these votes are and will be counted at the International meeting. The candidate with the most votes wins. Everyone has a vote and your vote will be counted.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I have a vote on the delegates, and the presidents have a resume but I must wait for the presidents to present me with that same information? Will I have as long to consider my choice as do officers? Why have I never heard any thing of this?

photography
Old 04-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Put your name in the hat. The club needs motived officers.
I appreciate your support but my name is already in the hat! I'm my Unit's President as I already mentioned, I do the newsletter, I'm our Region Chairperson for 2007, I initiated the community project our club does each year, my husband and I ran 2 rallies last year and and will run 4 this year. He is Membership Chair. It would be a mistake to underestimate my devotion to this club AND my awareness of what others do for the club.

I have attended several Internationals and the older people who are running the show are putting their heart and souls into it. They are the ones stepping up to do the club work and I go to the International with an open mind and a grateful heart. It is what it is. I believe the work at the grassroots level will be rewarded with new members so that is where my contribution to the club lies.

I do however think we need to look at who is at the top and get to know them so that we can be sure they are open to change, open minded and are looking toward the future and even a bit creative and can bring positive changes where needed.

I think I was just commenting on the fact that we don't really know them. I think we should that is why I e-mailed them and asked very specific questions that I hope they respond to and that will be shared with my members in May.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Resumes are posted in the April Blue Beret for your review. Voting usually takes place for most units in May. There may be a discussion of the candidates and the resolutions that are to come up at the deligate's meeting in June in Salem. The deligates are actually appointed usually by the local president and told to closely follow the outcome of the vote in your local elections. The deligates are not to have an agenda of their own. The deligate casts the unit votes (number of members paying international dues thru that unit) either as a block or apprortioned as the local unit decides.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I agree this is valuable thinking. Can you tell me who gets a resume? presidents, do members get to view such? Wouldn't it be great to have permanent space online to view positions, credentials, and post questions directly? Information should be included as well in every newsletter and BB. Those not willing to be subject to the public eye, need not apply.
Thank you Carol!!!!!

i was wondering now that the International group is working hard to put things on-line if a "forum" could be developed where we could communicate with the canidates!!!!

Thank you for your imput. I would like to work with people in the club to see if this could be achieved. Any ideas on how to go about it?

Old 04-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Resumes are posted in the April Blue Beret for your review. Voting usually takes place for most units in May. There may be a discussion of the candidates and the resolutions that are to come up at the deligate's meeting in June in Salem. The deligates are actually appointed usually by the local president and told to closely follow the outcome of the vote in your local elections. The deligates are not to have an agenda of their own. The deligate casts the unit votes (number of members paying international dues thru that unit) either as a block or apprortioned as the local unit decides.
Thank you for your response. May I ask how a president goes about finding THE delegate without an agenda? (Sounds like that could have formerly been me ) How is one's aganda established? What is one's agenda held up against as a measure? Are you implying a delegate can vote their own conscience and not the unit's vote?

photography
Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Thank you Carol!!!!!

i was wondering now that the International group is working hard to put things on-line if a "forum" could be developed where we could communicate with the canidates!!!!

Thank you for your imput. I would like to work with people in the club to see if this could be achieved. Any ideas on how to go about it?

The WBCCI forum is live and in place. Seems it could be posted this evening. New general thread then e-mail candidates and ask them to post a thread under their name starting a parallel thread linking to the main introduction thread. Let them introduce themselves and then let the discussion begin, unit by unit, delegate by delegate.

Secondarily it could be refined along the way, but as I have heard Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker---no wait wrong quote. well you get the idea...

photography
Old 04-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
To answer the original question "What if we said No." There is no "No" vote when it comes to the slate of officers. If there is only one candidate for the office and it were possible to vote "No" then there is the possibility that the organization would be left without officers. So, according to Parliamentary Procedure you can only vote "Yes." If there is more than one candidate then you vote "Yes" for one or the other, but there is no "No" vote. In fact, in instances where a candidate runs without opposition, and even where there is an entire slate of officers running without opposition no vote by the Delegates is required. By running unopposed they can actually be elected unamiously without a vote being cast. That is the situation we have in the WBCCI, except for when someone is nominated from the floor of the Delegates Meeting.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
To answer the original question "What if we said No." There is no "No" vote when it comes to the slate of officers. If there is only one candidate for the office and it were possible to vote "No" then there is the possibility that the organization would be left without officers. So, according to Parliamentary Procedure you can only vote "Yes." If there is more than one candidate then you vote "Yes" for one or the other, but there is no "No" vote. In fact, in instances where a candidate runs without opposition, and even where there is an entire slate of officers running without opposition no vote by the Delegates is required. By running unopposed they can actually be elected unamiously without a vote being cast. That is the situation we have in the WBCCI, except for when someone is nominated from the floor of the Delegates Meeting.
That reminds me of a Beatles song. Inside the USSR....
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Thanks, this is very clear. Not a happy thought, but clear. So my guess is that the Nominating committe at the IBT level is experiencing the same difficulties the small Units are. People are not willing to take office.

I can understand how difficult this is. My Unit is dwindling as far as active members to do the work of the Unit (my comment to L's remark that I was carping and not stepping up to the plate irked me a bit). It is sad to think that if that is the case we could have people stepping up without the driving committment in their heart to make any changes.

Perhaps we should be exploring the responsibilities we are asking these people to perform and make it easier to be an officer?
Old 04-08-2006, 06:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Running from the floor

Last year we did not have a candidate that was approved for the by the nominating committee for third International president. Jerry Larson ran from the floor against the person who had submitted his name to the committee but was not endorsed. Jerry won the election. Any office is contestable from the floor but it is a rare occurrance that this has happen and the person wins. In volenteer organization like ours this is pretty common. Many non-profit organizations have an paid executive director which sees to the day to day running of the business. Many of these paid executives are professionals with real ability to carry the hard part of setting day to day priorities and implementing them. We had a paid person for many years but the club never made progress in accomplishing new programs or new ideas. A number of years ago the board decided to do away with the position and save the money because they felt they could run the organization without him. The volenteer board of directors usually sets the long term goals for the organization. By comparison to Good Sam (which is a commercial venture with monitary goals) WBCCI's board of directors have not been able to implement very many programs to broaden the club's appeal to the new generation of campers which are entering the market. Good Sam has continued to grow and has put together a more appealing magezine and alliances with other companies to offer more benifits to its members. Since decisions are made at the top there is no need for multilevel volenteer management and long years of dedication to get into a decision maker position within the organization. Spending the money for an professional inovative thinker, with a history of being able to move non-profit organizations forward, might be money well spent for this organization at this time. He or she must be given real authority to make positive changes in the way we do business and be capable of bringing professional publishing skills in to make the magezine and the programs more appealing to the younger camper families.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Last year we did not have a candidate that was approved for the by the nominating committee for third International president. Jerry Larson ran from the floor against the person who had submitted his name to the committee but was not endorsed. Jerry won the election. Any office is contestable from the floor but it is a rare occurrance that this has happen and the person wins. In volenteer organization like ours this is pretty common. Many non-profit organizations have an paid executive director which sees to the day to day running of the business. Many of these paid executives are professionals with real ability to carry the hard part of setting day to day priorities and implementing them. We had a paid person for many years but the club never made progress in accomplishing new programs or new ideas. A number of years ago the board decided to do away with the position and save the money because they felt they could run the organization without him. The volenteer board of directors usually sets the long term goals for the organization. By comparison to Good Sam (which is a commercial venture with monitary goals) WBCCI's board of directors have not been able to implement very many programs to broaden the club's appeal to the new generation of campers which are entering the market. Good Sam has continued to grow and has put together a more appealing magezine and alliances with other companies to offer more benifits to its members. Since decisions are made at the top there is no need for multilevel volenteer management and long years of dedication to get into a decision maker position within the organization. Spending the money for an professional inovative thinker, with a history of being able to move non-profit organizations forward, might be money well spent for this organization at this time. He or she must be given real authority to make positive changes in the way we do business and be capable of bringing professional publishing skills in to make the magezine and the programs more appealing to the younger camper families.
You bring up some interesting points. This monitary connection that clearly benefits the club in producing a better magazine, a finacial/marketing relationship is something I can see value in. I think this is why I am so opposed to the proposed agreement between Thor and WBCCI there no discussion about what THOR would do for us. If we were to enter into an agreement with them I would like it to be more specific as to the future of the relationship outlining where were could be of service to each other. The agreement I reviewed does not specifie the benefits provided to the club such as marketing, advertising, etc. It is too simple and really gives away more than gains.

I would be very interested to see the organizational structure of Good Sam.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Internet Town Meeting for Candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
The WBCCI forum is live and in place. Seems it could be posted this evening. New general thread then e-mail candidates and ask them to post a thread under their name starting a parallel thread linking to the main introduction thread. Let them introduce themselves and then let the discussion begin, unit by unit, delegate by delegate.
Carol:

Excellent suggestion!! The WBCCI web site and the Forums on it are presently underutilized, so let's use them as a new 21st century medium of information exchange. Start a new thread for each national officer position. Post questions there and email the WBCCI National Officer candidates, advising them of the questions posted on the WBCCI Forum and requesting them to post answers there and continue an ongoing dialogue with members. Those who do not respond reveal, in my mind, a lack of modern and current credentials for the position, notwithstanding their earlier lifetime accomplishments as listed in their static resumes.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote