Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Should I join? Convince me...

As a full-time employee of one of the best weekly newspapers in the country, I get three weeks of paid vacation per year. Add in a handful of holidays and it's closer to four weeks. We're discouraged from taking vacation in the summer -- Memorial Day to Labor Day -- so most of my trips are spring and fall. I can squeeze in a three-day weekend almost any time.

Until this incarnation of my career ends, long trips are pretty much out. ((As soon as I finish the novel, of course Oprah will love it and my newspaper days will be numbered ...)) I take my 67 Safari on long weekend trips for mountain or road biking, etc. This spring, I hope to take her and DH on a good two-week tour of the Grand Circle area of the southwest.

She's also not completely restored; I haven't invested the money in getting her plumbing functional (and frankly, dumping seems really gross).

I'm 33.5 years old. Yes, Stella is older than me. I don't have problems finding common ground with people of all age groups, but I don't have kids or grandkids to chat about.

Would it be worth it for me to join the WBCCI? It's $70 a year, right? I'm looking forward to making friends on this forum, who seem like a fantastic bunch. What would club membership do for me?

I'd love your help with this important decision.

Thanks!

Jo in Wyo
Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Yes you should, you will get you membership fee back with first rally many times over.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It will cost you nothing to check out the local units. With your limited time available, you will likely only attend the local events. There is a great vintage crowd down around Denver but that may be to far for you to travel on a weekend. You are on the younger side by comparison to the other club members but you might find a group you would fit in with. Check out their websites at WBCCI Unit Guide and see. Most units allow you to come to a couple of events without paying dues. You only need to pay the "at cost" rally fees.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
As a full-time employee of one of the best weekly newspapers in the country, I get three weeks of paid vacation per year. Add in a handful of holidays and it's closer to four weeks. We're discouraged from taking vacation in the summer -- Memorial Day to Labor Day -- so most of my trips are spring and fall. I can squeeze in a three-day weekend almost any time.

Until this incarnation of my career ends, long trips are pretty much out. ((As soon as I finish the novel, of course Oprah will love it and my newspaper days will be numbered ...)) I take my 67 Safari on long weekend trips for mountain or road biking, etc. This spring, I hope to take her and DH on a good two-week tour of the Grand Circle area of the southwest.

She's also not completely restored; I haven't invested the money in getting her plumbing functional (and frankly, dumping seems really gross).

I'm 33.5 years old. Yes, Stella is older than me. I don't have problems finding common ground with people of all age groups, but I don't have kids or grandkids to chat about.

Would it be worth it for me to join the WBCCI? It's $70 a year, right? I'm looking forward to making friends on this forum, who seem like a fantastic bunch. What would club membership do for me?

Thanks!

Jo in Wyo
Jo,

Your question has been discussed many times here on the Forum. We are members and we think that it is worth it. We have met many wonderful friends, many of our Airstream friends are not on the Forum. If you have a chance come to the International from June 28 to July 4 and visit the Vintage Airstream Club parking area (VAC). If you are not yet a member, you can only visit some areas, the VAC parking is one of them.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
The International this year is in Bozeman Montana.Not too far from you.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Many of us are not members, and that is not a requirement for many rallies. I'm not in any way trying to talk you out of joining, but it doesn't fit my style.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Jo,

We have about the same amount of time to get away that you do.

I can only tell you that my Unit is an ecclectic pack of loons and camping with them is a blast.

Go camping with your local Units. If its a fit and your having fun you'll find the club is worth the money.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Jo,

My wife and I are 25 and 30 respectively, and we too thought about joining the WBCCI. We decided that the WBCCI was not for us since we do not have the time available to go on many long trips like the local unit does. The forums rallies we have attended were laid back, and have a wide variety of ages and participants. The WBCCI IS a good thing, but it isn't for everyone. I would suggest checking out rallies for the WBCCI and the forums. The forums is already free

Steve
Old 01-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella

Thanks!

Jo in Wyo
Hi Jo In Wyo

The club has a great History espesially connected to the vintage years and the roots of caravanning.

There are lots of interesting people in the club and the rallies can be fun. the International meets can be overwhelming as in large and busy. And a bit too regimented for many. There must be order in such a large undertaking I suppose.

I am an immature mid fifties member and it nice to be referred to as Sonny, and young fella at times by shall we say longtime members. So at your tender age just imagine.

One can get lots of advice on travel, life or just Airstreams at a rally.

Happy hour starts an hour early in the vintage section.

So there are a few of the good points. And you get the big red numbers.

The club is in some state of change with newer members thinking about new ways to do things. There are many of this forum that will probably let loose with their opinions. They are probably not in the club. Too bad because they are missing out on the Blue Beret magazine. Kidding! This seems to be a real waste of glossy paper and not sure what purpose it serves.

On your trailer:
We all all fixing them piece by piece. Don't be afraid of the black tank detail. Just get a box of rubber gloves and maybe rubber shoes. Just think, never having to use a public or latrine bathroom again? And a hot shower in the wilds after a long bike ride is the best.

My 62' Safari is named Sylvia. We road and mt bike and have been in the club five years. Looking forward to the Region One meet this year in PEI. These meets can be a great deal as all the arrangements are already set up.
But the food offerings are better left to your own doings unless you are a meat and potato kind of girl.

See you on the road or hopefully at a Rally!
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Funny you should ask

Hi all,

I am glad this post is here. I have seen many WBCCI posts on the Air Forums. It sounds like WBCCI is having some growing pains. I joined, partly because I figured it would help me as a new Airstreamer and partly out of respect. I figure if you are involved in an Activity, it pays to support organizations involved in its preservation. I have to admit, it wasnt cheap, I joined the National and local club. At the 6 month mark I received a rather curt letter demanding my next years dues or I would be dropped from the roles. Well it frosted my pumpkin enough to make me say: @#$%^&*^".

I have not renewed yet and I am still thinking about it. What bothered me was the first notice I received told me to pay up or get out. I paid full dues for only 6 months. That bothered me, I did'nt know no matter when you joined, you "tuition" restarted at the new year. Buyer beware?

IMHO, not the way for a struggling organization to keep its member. I know I am probably putting the personality of the letter writer ahead of the principle of WBCCI. So reading this thread has prompted me to reconsider.

Thanks for bringing this up.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi jo in wyo!

there is SO much great camping near you already and you can sample it when the time works right...

it's great to see someone look at their personal parameters (time off, travel times) and see if the wb' is a potential fit...

rather than just blindly handing them the cash.

you can 'try' a year for less than 70 bucks...

go to a unit 'buddy rally' or luncheon and met the people, thats free...

or join one of the units that only charge 1 dollar for a total of 56$

i'm a member at large so the fee is 70 bucks.

perhaps you've got a great local group and will groove quickly with them...

or not.

but in addition to your vacation and travel parameters, how interested are you in volunteering, local/national club politics and so on?

because IF you try a years membership these issues will be part of it that goes beyond the 'just camping' side.

i like the non structure of the forum rallies, over most wb rallies.

it is true some units are LOVED by their members,

but it is also true that many unit camping trips pack the trailers TOO close together in less than ideal camping sites,

or 'group sites' because the camping fees are a bit less.

so do ya like your own site or sharing this way?

IF you don't have a subscription to airstream life magazine, it is well worth the less than 20 dollar yearly fee....

and is NOT part of the wbcci, just great reading about the a/s life and people!

then try to make a forum rally sometime, they are great fun and easy...

IF i lived as close as you to bozeman, i'd drive over for 1 day and visit, it really isn't a rally,

it's the annual legislative event, with folks in trailers instead of hotel rooms....

but it might be an interesting day trip 4 ya!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
I paid full dues for only 6 months. That bothered me, I did'nt know no matter when you joined, you "tuition" restarted at the new year. Buyer beware?
I had the same problem, and I know another member who did as well. It's a very poor system they have setup. The dues are for the year, but they start pestering you to pay up in April for the next year. I know our unit always wanted to have everyone renewed in time for international, which is in July! I believe there was a prize for units that had everyone renewed by international, or at least they talked like there was.

I prefer to pay up in October, which is the last possible minute and still get your name in the book. Not that that matters much to me either. However I agree, getting a renewal letter with '3rd notice' stamped on it, as if you had failed to pay your mortgage, can really tick you off!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
For the Fourms you do not have to be member. Supporting would be nice but is not necessary.
As for WBCCI. Have alook and decide for yourself. I joined and dropped out. If I do rejoin it will be the 4 Corners unit. They are for true change.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
wbcci really

Visited a wally wally rally 10yrs ago, didn't appeal then....

and from what I've read here it probably still won't, but we do still plan

another visit, hopefully this season.

What we're really look'n forward too is our first InForumAl Rally
Old 01-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Pros
  1. Your trailer qualifies you to join VAC (Vintage Airstream Group)
  2. You can go to WBCCI rallys
  3. You can stay at Airstream RV parks
  4. You can join a caravan (if you have the time)
  5. You get to wear a beret
Cons
  1. You may not like where the rallys are held
  2. You may not have a lot in common with other members
  3. You may not like current leadership thinking/ideas
  4. You may feel like you wasted $56-$70
  5. You can still wear a beret, but it won't be THE beret.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
You can stay at Airstream RV parks
Cosmotini or others,
Do most "A/S only" parks require WBCCI membership to stay in them?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Pros
  1. Your trailer qualifies you to join VAC (Vintage Airstream Group)
  2. You can go to WBCCI rallys
  3. You can stay at Airstream RV parks
  4. You can join a caravan (if you have the time)
  5. You get to wear a beret
Cons
  1. You may not like where the rallys are held
  2. You may not have a lot in common with other members
  3. You may not like current leadership thinking/ideas
  4. You may feel like you wasted $56-$70
  5. You can still wear a beret, but it won't be THE beret.
I like THE beret and the tinies!

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	depraidabm7.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	52494  
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Crestview , Florida
The best thing to do would be to go and visit the people with the WBCCI local unit. Soon after we bought our camper, we attended a vintage rally and that convinced us to join WBCCI. I can say in our case we're using our Airstream alot more because we're members of WBCCI than if we weren't. The monthly local rallies give us an opportunity to spend the weekend visiting with other friends. I like that better than just going to a campground by ourselves not knowing anyone. Plus at our local rallies several of the meals are provided which makes the weekend more relaxing. We all get together and eat banquet style. And the rally fees are nominal.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #19
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Thanks for all the advice!
As Wyoming has the fewest people of any other state, it prolly also has the fewest Airstreamers. More visit, but few live here. So I am a little dubious as to the prospects of a local, but I've got inquiries in. You never know ... I can be the rallying type.
I was thinking of "crashing" the Bozeman rally, getting reservations (SOON) at the KOA there and then just trying to see the public parts of the rally. I know, I know, it's not the same, but I can't commit to eight days (work, a conference to attend) but I DO want to see this immense congregation of silver. Plus, my friend Ann in Bozeman says the mountain biking is stellar.

Do non-members get invited to cocktail hour at the rally? See, very important details.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #20
_

. , .
beware, they hate crashers!

as a member or nonmember unregistered 4 the actual rally,

you can get a day pass but that's about it...

and really THAT may be all u want.

good mountain biking? sign me up!

i'm planning to be there too and wanna find some single track...

last time i rode the bike around INSIDE the rally and scared a lotta folks...

it's a generational thing, i think.

regardless a local gathering OUTSIDE the actual rally with renegade forum folks would be a whole bunch fun!

pm me IF you wanna work out some details.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote