Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #21
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
You scare everybody on that bike of yours, especially when you ride with your dog pulling you around

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Get a feel for your local unit(s). If it's something you like, go for it. If not, don't. As some have pointed out, it's a touchy subject for some, particularly if you are from the camp as I am that thinks it's not worth. I myself am from that camp being that it's just not worth the dues for the standard WBCCI. However, perhaps the VAC group may be more to your liking. I've found them more responsive to member's needs and desires. Only issue I have with joining the VAC is that you have to "waste" money paying dues to WBCCI in order to be a part of VAC. If there was a way to just be a part of the VAC......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Cosmotini or others,
Do most "A/S only" parks require WBCCI membership to stay in them?
Dave
This is a little more complex than it looks.

1. There are Airstream-only parks, where you'll find, as the name implies, only Airstreams. They're pretty rare. Some of these -- maybe all of them -- require WBCCI membership.

2. There are regular parks that offer discounts to WBCCI members. These are listed in the yearly directory that WBCCI puts out. The list is pretty short (just a few parks per state), but methinks we're seeing a transition period here.

3. There are regular parks that offer discounts to WBCCI members and that are not listed in the yearly directory from WBCCI. I don't know how many there are; probably few. (Our park counts in this category, at least for now.)

I guess there may be a few parks out there that offer discounts to anybody with an Airstream (WBCCI or not), but I can't name one for you.

I wish a LOT of parks would offer discounts to WBCCI members! It'd sure help to ease the high cost of gasoline when we tow!

Lynn
Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
Thanks for all the advice!
As Wyoming has the fewest people of any other state, it prolly also has the fewest Airstreamers. More visit, but few live here. So I am a little dubious as to the prospects of a local, but I've got inquiries in. You never know ... I can be the rallying type.
I was thinking of "crashing" the Bozeman rally, getting reservations (SOON) at the KOA there and then just trying to see the public parts of the rally. I know, I know, it's not the same, but I can't commit to eight days (work, a conference to attend) but I DO want to see this immense congregation of silver. Plus, my friend Ann in Bozeman says the mountain biking is stellar.

Do non-members get invited to cocktail hour at the rally? See, very important details.
If you do decide to go to Bozeman, the Vintage Airstream Club is gathering at the KOA on Thursday, June 26 before the parade on Friday. We should have around 60 vintage Airstreams. There will be a happy hour on Thursday night.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
If you do decide to go to Bozeman, the Vintage Airstream Club is gathering at the KOA on Thursday, June 26 before the parade on Friday. We should have around 60 vintage Airstreams. There will be a happy hour on Thursday night.

Bill
I would have to say this would be the highlight of the whole thing IMHO and well worth attending.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #26
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
We were like you and joined out of respect for Wally, Went to international in Salem which was 2 hrs. away no trailer. To many people trying to follow to many rules. We tried to follow the rules and get a day pass but had to wait 2 hr. for that booth to open up. We just walked around and enjoyed looking at the trailers and commercial booths. Everyone was friendly and only 1 lady at about 90 years at the information booth said we needed to be registered. I politly said we were members and would just like to look around, she asked a younger member who said welcome, glad you could come, you just couldn't go to the meetings. So, see the vintage area, check out your local unit. Our Unit in Oregon has members from 40-80 years of age, we all find common ground to talk about, Airstreams and Travel. We also love the Forum Rallys, Good people and great food. Do both, we do.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #27
_

. , .
hi blue pearl

hope 2 c u at an undisclosed double secret alien gathering soon!

how's the troll doll?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #28
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Vintage Airstream Club is gathering at the KOA on Thursday, June 26 before the parade on Friday. We should have around 60 vintage Airstreams. There will be a happy hour on Thursday night.

Bill
I would love to, but have a writers conference in Jackson Hole (4 hours away) June 26-29. Tim Cahill (one of my funny/travel/writing heroes) is going to be in Jackson. Oh, and some bestselling authors and editors and agents, too. Can't miss.

So I'm going to try to catch the back half of the rally.

FYI, I heard back from nationals and confirmed that the number on the back of my Airstream is available. If I joined, better to take that one than the pain of putting new numbers on, eh?

And I will contact the "local" unit. It's such a big state, "local" prolly means Cheyenne, 7 hours away.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
...And I will contact the "local" unit. It's such a big state, "local" prolly means Cheyenne, 7 hours away.
Oh, you don't have to join the local unit in the sense of nearest! You can join any ol' unit. Though it depends on the kinds of places you like to go to when you're not snowed in (that sounds familiar, I'll tell you for sure!), I'd recommend either or both of the following:

Denver Unit

Four Corners Unit

Lynn
Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Stella in Wyoming -
I think you definately should attend a few "local" WBCCI rallys!! You spend quality time with folks that share a common passion (I think unique to Airstreams). You learn all sorts of good stuff about your trailer. You will visit state parks and/or RV parks you have not been to yet. I can honestly say I have been lucky enough to make some of the best friendships I've ever enjoyed. Please do try a couple of Wally AND VAC rallies before you decide. Yes, i've heard some units are more formal / boring. But certainly not all. My unit here in Central Texas has a great age range from young'ish to "experienced" and we enjoy them all.
And please do let us know what you decide.

Welcome to the Airstream way of life. You'll find it addictive.

I forgot to mention - the Happy Hours are very laid back. Usually BYOB and a snack to share, and be prepared to enjoy yourself.