Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
Having purchased a new AS earlier this year, I received a complimentry issue of the BB along with a letter inviting me to join.

Quite frankly, using the BB as an incentive to join to was stupid! Poor quality paper with muddy photos and an editorial from the president that used an entire page to say nothing.

One other thing, the BB I received was the issue prior to the International in Oregon. After reading the rules for parking, lining up, etc., I was really turned off.

Do not, I repeat, do not use the BB as a tool to recruit new members!
Just an observation for what it's worth: A year later and another relatively new Airstream owner who recently received a copy of the BB with an invitation to join up. I must agree with Dennis that the BB is NOT a viable tool for recruiting new blood. It was a major turn-off. Dated, poor quality images and paper choices, dry read, and certainly did not help pique interest in joining the organization.

TB

Old 09-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts

But who says BB wants to be like AS Life? Maybe they're happy serving the members they serve, just the way it is.
Blue Beret....a publication of the WBCCI
WBCCI.....WB Caravan Club I
Caravan Club.......... not a resto how to publication; not supported by a lot of diffferent manufacturers of products, does not cost an arm and a leg per issue...er recently reduced to an arm per issue,etc

BB is informational, as Stefrobrts says 'it serves the members they serve' who, although some of those members expect or want the club to be something different, it is a caravan club. And so, that's the information that's in it.
I get the Airstream Life for one reason, and I get BB for another reason. It has provided information for at least one caravan per year for my spouse and me for the last 5 years. Heh, heh, heh, just got back from Newfoundland Caravan....it was great!

WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #73
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Caravan Club.......... not a resto how to publication; not supported by a lot of diffferent manufacturers of products, does not cost an arm and a leg per issue...er recently reduced to an arm per issue,etc

BB is informational, as Stefrobrts says 'it serves the members they serve' who, although some of those members expect or want the club to be something different, it is a caravan club. And so, that's the information that's in it.
I get the Airstream Life for one reason, and I get BB for another reason. It has provided information for at least one caravan per year for my spouse and me for the last 5 years. Heh, heh, heh, just got back from Newfoundland Caravan....it was great!

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread.Wouldn't it would be great if the WBCCI publication could be revamped to something like a combination of the Blue Beret and Airstream Life.
Glad you enjoyed your Caravan to Newfoundland.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Right On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312

Great Comments!

Cut to the chase and to the point!

Dale "Pee Wee" Schwamborn
Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I also am a new 2nd year member of the WBCCI so the BB wasn't tops in incouraging us to join. We thought we would try it for one year and were pleased to find units within a reasonable driving distance that actually like to camp and use their Airstreams as originally intended, Teh Sierra Nevada Unit and The Four Corners Unit.

At the risk of suggesting a historic organization change for us new comers, we think the BB could be much more interesting. IT woudl take more input from members to contribute articles and letter. Streamers suggestion to have a paid position might be a good one, but rather than someone to market the WBCCI they might consider a paid full or part time editor for the Blue Beret. I also belong to one of the national BMW motorcycle clubs, the BMW Motorcycle Owners Association or BMWMOA. It also is a member operated hobbiest and has no ties to the manufacturer. They hired a professional editor for their monthly magazine. While it was great before it now is a color publication that rivals many for profit magazines available in the news stands and book stores. The articles are all produced by the members, officers and board members on many subjects, letters to the editor, travel, restoration, repair and accessories. While there are plenty of ads, articles out number them. The BMWMOA does have an advantage, it has almost 40,000 members, most in the states but some from other countries. Then again, dues for the 'MOA are cheaper than those for the WBCCI. They might fund a part time editor that could help develop articles, story lines and cntent that would make the BB more interesting.

Hope we don't receive the kind of welcome that 2air' mentioned when we attend our first International or as a result fo questions and suggestions. I would probably respond in kind and return the same treatment received if it was directed at me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Hi all.I thought I would just chime in and comment that I'm glad this thread has generated a dialogue on a topic most can agree needs addressing.
There have been some great ideas and suggestions made and its good some are taking a positive approach to this
With a president that seems to be at least aware that some steps have to be taken and with Renee spearheading the commitee gathering suggestions from the membership I can honestly say I am encouraged with future prospects of the club.
This will take some time and you have to walk before you can run.Its important to remember the Blue Beret and the club are run by folks VOLUNTEERING THEIR time.

Maybe a paid professional position can be created to help market the club and the mag.

I will remain positive.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #76
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Yeah!

Great idea Motoman! There are people that do that for a living, hire a good one, stand back and turn 'im loose! Reading BB is like reading the minutes of my last B of D meeting, but less entertaining. Lets keep this oganization alive and vital. Keep Smilin! LJH 6196
Old 09-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Talking I need to pay closer attention.

I read most of this thread before realizing that it started last year. Yet, most of the opinions and issues regarding the BB are accurate, and still very relevant. When we purchased our 05, it was the AS salesman who really convinced us to join the WBCCI. We received no information from the club. He was a member, and owner of an Airstream and an Argosy. It was his description of the unit, the people in it, and the fun they had while camping that appealled to us. Yes, it's in the name of the club, but caravanning was not then, nor is it now, of great interest to us. We were working then, and long trips weren't feasible, and the idea of following a rigid agenda for any period of time just doesn't work for us. Now that we're retired, it still doesn't.

As a point of interest (at least, to me) was that, after extolling the benefits and virtues of the club, he handed us a back issue of Airstream Life (the one with the fiddle player on it. I still have it), and said it would give us an idea of "what we would be missing". As long as the camping rallies are fun, we're in for the long haul.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I wanted to provide some additional input on suggestions for the Blue Beret, but also solicit opinions of others. You can get a brief idea of the types of articles and contents for several issues of the newsletter that I touted, the BMW Owners News, at BMW MOA: Owner's News . Click on any of the monthly issues pictured to bring up a view of the front cover and the table of contents for that particular issue. While the editor is a paid position there are no paid authors or writers used to produce the Owners News. The articles and content on new models, travel, repair, accessiories, coming and past events and rallies and lifestyle are the product of a passionate and active membership.

Take a look and let me know if I am off base on wanting to see the BLue Beret grow to include more and interesting content. I am not suggesting that it directly copy the character and content of the Owners News but it could make subtle changes. Developing even a small amount of simialr content around the Airstream lifestyle would require something from all of us and others; our time and energy to produce and submit material for inclusion in the Blue Beret.

Let me know what you think.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
Having purchased a new AS earlier this year, I received a complimentry issue of the BB along with a letter inviting me to join.

Quite frankly, using the BB as an incentive to join to was stupid! Poor quality paper with muddy photos and an editorial from the president that used an entire page to say nothing.

One other thing, the BB I received was the issue prior to the International in Oregon. After reading the rules for parking, lining up, etc., I was really turned off.

Do not, I repeat, do not use the BB as a tool to recruit new members!
It's been almost a year to the day that I posted the above. I joined the FCU in January and I too just received the 9/07 issue. While I would agree with PeeWee that it serves a purpose to keep people informed of rallies and caravans, I still think that it is a pi$$ poor representation of an organization with $600,000 in the bank. I suspect an overhaul that would attract advertisers (other than dealers) would make the dollar difference for a quality product.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Is This the issue that everyone is talking about?

In reading the various messages, I wondered what September issue everyone is talking about.

Could it be this one?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Speaking of September Issues of the Blue Beret

Is this the one everyone is talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Beret September 1975 Let's reminisce with Helen...20 Years of WBCCI e-mail.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	45898  
Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey they look like they are having fun!!! Gee I might want to join that club!

Great posts of the Blue Berets Pee Wee. Thanks.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Time for the annaul revisit. As always, flip to the back page because I love pictures. Is that Big red getting on the ferry? I'm excited as I may actually know somebody on the inside back cover. Next the pres message.... I won't elaborate, but less than motivational. Next flip through the usual, but now there's something new. I am a firm believer in separation between church and state and truly believe that this is a camping club and while out in the wilderness will come across nature's creatures such as Ravens; but stories connecting birds and the lord for the general population would be better left for another publication. Just my opinion. Keep it to holding tanks, winterizing, breakaways and safety chains, through in some light non denominational humor. The BB is still "it is what it is", will not evolve, but should not be listed as one of the benefits of being a member. I think I'll just look at the pictures on the inside back cover from now on.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
At The Risk Of Having Another Post Deleted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen View Post
Next flip through the usual, but now there's something new. I am a firm believer in separation between church and state and truly believe that this is a camping club and while out in the wilderness will come across nature's creatures such as Ravens; but stories connecting birds and the lord for the general population would be better left for another publication. Just my opinion. Keep it to holding tanks, winterizing, breakaways and safety chains, through in some light non denominational humor.
The same could be said about the WBCCI Amateur Radio, or any other sub-club or interest.

"It's an RV/Camping/Airstream club, not a _____(fill in the blank) club."

There are a lot of people with a lot of interests and belief systems within this club. If we start whittling away at the different those things, we start whittling away at the membership, the participation and the friends.

Two things to keep in mind:

1.The idea of "separation of church and state" is rooted in a court decision, not the Constitution, Bill Of Rights, Declaration, nor Federalist Papers.
2. The WBCCI is not "the State" although to some of us, it may seem like it is. Sometimes.
This post is brought to you by a hopelessly borderline agnostic...

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote