Old 09-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Pieman, I had the same reaction after reading that column. In fact, I kept looking around that section trying to find something I missed in the reading.???????????? Well, at least we read it! ~G

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Like some others have stated, I really look forward to AS Life. Blue Beret, on the other hand, is very dry. I am only on my third issue of BB, and I guess that I have not been taught the secret handshake yet. I, too, cannot follow most of the articles. BB has all the excitement of the newsletter from the local nursing home.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Recieved my BB day before yesterday. The first thing I read is the presidents column. I have read this one over at least 4 times and have yet to figure out what Don is saying. He speaks in such generalities that I have no idea what he said ,who he's addressing or what he's talking about. Perhaps someone can clarify this for me!!---pieman
The title suggested he might say something. Wrong. This is classic mukky mukky speak. I think it's why these guys get elected. A surprising lack of spherical shapes for a leadship group with so few woman.

The BB is 80% the same every issue. Has to take all of an hour to put together. Good article on the regulators. Lots of ads, I think they make money on it or should.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I always turn to the inside back cover to look at the pictures of all the people having "fun". Maybe the editors don't get a lot of submissions to choose from or they have very strict selection criteria. The pics from rallies posted on the Forums seems to be a better representation of club gatherings.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Just Received, Read, and Recycled My Blue Beret..

Quote:
Recieved my BB day before yesterday. The first thing I read is the presidents column. I have read this one over at least 4 times and have yet to figure out what Don is saying. He speaks in such generalities that I have no idea what he said ,who he's addressing or what he's talking about. Perhaps someone can clarify this for me!!---pieman
This month's cover was a real shocker. Krystal is a lovely young lady, and I'm sure her grandparents are very proud, but it's always more fun and interesting to see an Airstream parked in some scenic location. How does the Teen Queen Contest increase or sustain interest in a camping club?

Pieman is right, after reading Don's message three times, I pronounced it dead on arrival, whether by bad writing, or bad editing.

Flipping the page quickly to escape the vague obfuscation of our President's message, there I find Bernice and Malcom Nadler smiling at me from the SkyMEd advertisement. I'm not sure that I want to read about their medical evacutation month after month.

Let's give the Blue Beret to Rich Luhr and pay him to make it a world class periodical.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Blue Beret

Have been receiving this magazine for about four years. Still waiting to fine an article worth reading. The best thing about it is that it is consistant, poor design, worthless reading and boring. Bless their hearts. I think they are doing the best they can. Airstream Life is a fine magazine.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #21
_

. , .
hello periodical readers.......

the 1st post suggested the bb needs a make over....
while i agree in general, how to arrive at the make over is an issue.

if and when the club evolves the bb will too...
until then it represents exactly what the wb is now...
whatever that is.

now pieman and klevan,
we usually share very similar views on these wb issues...
and over the last year i'd agree the pres column was wasted strokes...

but don s has got my eye...
his words coming oh so close to nailing it...

last month he almost wrote the club needed change2survive...

now he writes 'the enemy is within the club'
couldn't agree more.

so much so that i've made this comment too.
and been blasted for it on these forums...
thats ok...it's still my view.

yes he hides his message in jimmycarter,
and other tangental thoughts on being nice....

but the message i read is...

when veteran club members, leaders or officers are unkind (ugly)
to individuals (new or prospective members)
it hurts those individuals AND it hurts the club...
this may be the slngle most important issue for gaining and keeping new members.
furthermore, this usually happens when personal interests/gain/egos
are placed ahead of the common good...in this case the club or a 'band of friends'

this is my interpretation of his column this month...
the message is given in a very round about way...
but it is there....in his words...

perhaps he's been reading the forums....

cheers
2air'

oh and as for the teen queen cover...
they've been doing this a long time...
here is pic of the 1992 cover...
and a link to that issue...
like the club, not much has changed.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=big+news

too bad all the other contestants are not on the cover too or pictured somewhere inside...
more should receive credit...
and have something embarassing to look forward to...
in 20 years.

and while i do like air life...at least the bb arrives on time...if not mangled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bb 1992007.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	25679  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
But the thing is we are all comparing apples & oranges here...

Airstream Life is an entertainment magazine put out by professionals. While the Blue Beret is a club newsletter with info on upcoming events, rallies & caravans.

Comparing the two is like comparing a National Geographic or People magazine and a bus schedule. They each serve their purpose. Yes, the BB newsletter could be a bit more dymanic, but it serves it's intended purpose. We also don't pay $32 a year for it alone...it's produced from a portion of our annual club membership dues by volunteers.

BTW, I too look forward to each and every issue of AirstreamLife...and not so much for the Blue Beret.

You want more rally & "fun" pictures, submit some, they will be printed, I've had several included.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Shari Nails It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Airstream Life is an entertainment magazine put out by professionals. While the Blue Beret is a club newsletter with info on upcoming events, rallies & caravans.

Comparing the two is like comparing a National Geographic or People magazine and a bus schedule. They each serve their purpose.

Shari
...as does 2Air. Read with 2Air's "Cliff Notes" in the context of Shari's analysis of purpose and scope, Don's message appears to contain a certain spark of recognition that the club needs to transform itself. As 2Air opines,
as the club becomes more interesting to more Airstreamers, so will the Blue Beret.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
there I find Bernice and Malcom Nadler smiling at me from the SkyMEd advertisement. I'm not sure that I want to read about their medical evacutation month after month.
Although SkyMed lists the Nadler's as WBCCI members, a quick check of the directory contains no mention of them. Mal's CB handle was "Destroyer". It was his reputation - demo'd more than one Airstream and autos. When I was a kid only a few short years ago, they attended every rally we went to. They lived in an apartment just outside NYC and very frequently parked their trailer at my folks house. When my parents couldn't attend a rally, they used to pick me up and take me along. Haven't heard from them in 20 years. Glad to see they're OK. How 'bout a poll. Willing to spend a few more bucks for a quality newsletter? I always wait in anticipation for the NEU's "Quipper" - a very fine monthly newsletter. I don't think it would take much to solicit a few contributors to add some interesting articles and a few more pictures. The content now is just a listing of club activities (many: to be announced), caravans and ads.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
Craftsman

I use mine to clean fish on or wrap the coffee grinds. Where are the interesting articles?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
We have met the enemy, and they are...us!

Quote:
I agree that Don Shafer's "President's Corner" article is very poorly written. He starts with an excellent heading but does not follow through with any enlightening content.
He goes on to say "it is the ugly that causes hurt and discontent to individuals"..."this is, to me, the primary cause of the problem of retention..."

Makes me wonder why he is so vague.
Is he trying to be polite?
Maybe he does not know the primary cause of the problem of retention.

I think the primary cause is that the average WBCCI rally is not much fun!
The rallies seem to be geared toward the oldest and most frugal member.
Most meals are not memorable. Here is a group meal of "hot dogs, hamburgers, cold watermelon and soft drinks" (this is a direct quote from page 37 of the Sept. BB. The typical restaurant choices are not very interesting either.
It would be easy to make an arguement for gearing the rallies to the average member instead of the oldest & most frugal. What a concept
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
too bad all the other contestants are not on the cover too or pictured somewhere inside...
more should receive credit...
and have something embarassing to look forward to...
in 20 years.
Actually, there is a good point there. Why doesn't the BB devote at least an issue to covering what happened at international? Instead, when Intl is over, they move right on to planning the next one. The end result is that many people still have no idea what goes on there. Just another opportunity missed.

Perhaps they think that everyone capable of going to Intl was there, so there is no need to talk about it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Forums seems to provide the most insight to the International long before and after the event.Now back to bashing, as this is the cruxt of this post:Returning to the photo page.... Now I have nothing against folks that are older than me, they were once young, and in the future I too will be old...er.The deer is the youngest living thing on the entire page. This looks like an RV storage lot. No awnings deployed, no flags flying, no one polishing, no pot lucking, no chili cook off or lobsta feast, no one standing around posing except for that deer. Maybe it was venison roast night?