Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #61
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
OK folks, I will first tell you I'm a newbie here (Newbie on the forum and total newbie about the WBCCI, but not to TT's or AS), and thinking about joining WBCCI. I'm reading all of this thread and really can't understand it because I don't know what the abreviations mean. Yes, I have done searches, but they return literally volumes of information I do not have the time to read through. These are the ones I do not know: WDCU, VAL, FCU, 4CU, IBT

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
WDCU-Washington DC Unit (of WBCCI)
VAL-maybe you meant VAC-Vintage Airstream Club
FCU-Four Corners Unit(of WBCCI)
4CU-same as above
IBT-International Board of Trustee's(leadership of WBCCI)

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Val

VAL is an abbreviation for Vintage Airstream List, a vintage Airstream email list that has been around for a long time. It was originally sponsored by the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) and was called the VACList, but VAC stopped supporting it so Tom Patterson took on the job and it became the independent Vintage Airstream List (VAL).

For more information or to subscribe go here,

Vintage Airstream List Index Page

Best of luck,
Nuvi
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullairtime View Post
With mobility being what it is today, especially for the new generation of Airstreamers, I wonder why there is not a unit for MALs. I was told in Bozeman that units are geographically based. This obviously is valid, but in 2008 I believe there is room for more- not only for those who are virtually connected, but for those who take their homebase with them.
I think that the club needs to recognize that telecommuting is something that isn't going to go away. There are those who do as you suggest, they don't live in one place. MAL allows them to belong without feeling guilty about not being able to contribute to a local unit.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #64

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
This is exactly why we joined the 4CU. It is 2000 miles away. We don't really want to belong to any Unit. We average 150 nights a year out traveling in Lucy. We don't feel like we can participate in local unit activities. Our closest unit is 100 miles from our home, so we don't want to just run over for a lunch meeting.

WBCCI needs a MAL unit. It could be a "Headquarters Unit" administered at WBCCI Headquarters in Jackson Center. God knows that the MALs already pay enough "unit dues" to cover administrative costs at HQ. This way the new Headquarters Unit Members can feel included and not shoved to the side.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree with Brian: For folks who don't need or want a home unit, there's MAL.

Lynn
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #66
_

. , .
improve YOUR thread reading experience!!!

i'd like to see at least ONE useful outcome from this thread...

for everyone (wb' members, forum folks and even mals)

so HERE IT IS...

often threads grow to 100s of posts and clicking through dozens of pages is a chore,

just to read a long string of posts, or to scroll back more than 10 posts or so...

so HERE IS A TIP that will improve reading long threads.

1. click on "user cp" from the blue bar MENU, right next to portal on the far left...
2. now on the far left find the vertical menu labeled "your control panel"
3. go to the 3rd heading in your control panel labeled "settings and options"
4. click (open) the 4th listing titled "edit options"...
5. there will be 5 center windows here, GO TO the 3rd window labeled "thread display options"
6. in the "thread display options" section there are 4 boxed setting adjustments,
7. go to the 3rd box "number of posts to show per page"
8 default here is 6-8 posts per page, change this to "show 100 posts per page"...
9. scroll to the bottom of the user control panel/page and click "save changes"...
10. now go back to the portal page or new posts or todays posts or wherever u normally read threads...

and NOW every thread u view will load 100 posts per page!

so a thread like this one is (currently) ONLY 1 page long, and threads with <1000 posts are only 10 pages.

a page with 100 posts will take 1 nanosecond longer to load, BUT that's still quicker that reloading 12-15 pages....

try it U WILL LIKE IT!

now that we've actually accomplished something useful, back 2 moose's thread topic...

there are a couple of insightful posts in this thread and the topic of mals/club dues and so on, is important...

i'll post some hopefully relevant content later...

and maybe it will be on PAGE 1...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #67
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

so HERE IS A TIP that will improve reading long threads.

1. click on "user cp" from the blue bar MENU, right next to portal on the far left...
2. now on the far left find the vertical menu labeled "your control panel"
3. go to the 3rd heading in your control panel labeled "settings and options"
4. click (open) the 4th listing titled "edit options"...
5. there will be 5 center windows here, GO TO the 3rd window labeled "thread display options"
6. in the "thread display options" section there are 4 boxed setting adjustments,
7. go to the 3rd box "number of posts to show per page"
8 default here is 6-8 posts per page, change this to "show 100 posts per page"...
9. scroll to the bottom of the user control panel/page and click "save changes"...
10. now go back to the portal page or new posts or todays posts or wherever u normally read threads...

and NOW every thread u view will load 100 posts per page!

so a thread like this one is (currently) ONLY 1 page long, and threads with <1000 posts are only 10 pages.

a page with 100 posts will take 1 nanosecond longer to load, BUT that's still quicker that reloading 12-15 pages....

try it U WILL LIKE IT!

now that we've actually accomplished something useful, back 2 moose's thread topic...

there are a couple of insightful posts in this thread and the topic of mals/club dues and so on, is important...

i'll post some hopefully relevant content later...

and maybe it will be on PAGE 1...

cheers
2air'
I use this option, unless I am on dial-up, then I reset to the smallest possible amount of posts per page so they stand a snowball's chance in Havana of loading within my lifetime...
Old 08-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I have no opinion about a MAL Unit as I'm in the FCU.

I do believe that the International will have a very strong negative opinion about it. So be prepared to circumvent them.

You may need to base yourself in a specific place and pretend to be a tradionally based Unit until you have your charter.

Good luck.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
I have no opinion about a MAL Unit ... be prepared to circumvent them... a specific place and pretend to be a tradionally based Unit...

Good luck.
MAL=Middle ALabama?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I read about why join the wbcci or local unit, I wanted to say fellowship and fun. I belong to the Akron Unit and I will say These people go. I have been a member for about 10 years and my family and I never regreted it. For me and my family it was about traveling and fun and we made a whole lot of freinds along the way. My son got married and is almost finished with college. He bought a tow vehicle and keeps asking me to use my Airstream. I predict my kids will all have them. That is the Impact this unit has made on them. For me it is hard to beleve in a time of non joiners. There is no finer group for me.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Why I'm a Unit member

I have been a member of three different Units and a member of my current Unit for over 10 years. I plan on staying a member for the foreseeable future. My current Unit went through some rough times but with the assistance of some dedicated members, is now a healthy and growing group. Being a member of this Unit is like being part of a family. The Unit is like our immediate family. The Region and National organization are our relatives. As a member of our Unit (or any Unit) we are not restricted from attending the rallies or events of other Units and many of our members have done so. We have also had visitors from other Units and Regions attend our Unit functions. Instead of closing us off from participation in a global community, being a Unit member expands our opportunities and creates a stronger common link. No matter where we wander, who we visit, or how long it may be between our participation in our local Unit activities, it is always nice to come home. Our Airstream family always welcomes us and is anxious to hear about our adventures. While some of us are traveling, others keep the home fires burning. Our Unit rallies, which is our priority, provide the local camaraderie and the fun we all enjoy. Our Unit rallies are the glue that keeps us enthused and excited about being Airstreamers and members of WBCCI.

My grandparents belonged to several Units. This provided them with a home no matter what part of the country they were currently in. Their membership and participation was a way to support the various Units. That didn't prevent them from traveling on their own, or with other Airstream friends and enjoying other events and activities with their Airstream.

To me, the advantages of belonging to a Unit far outweigh the advantages of any other option. There are enough Units out there. One is bound to fit anybodies particular needs and interests. It is just a matter of being open minded, of exploring, and experimenting. If you are looking for a rebuff or cold shoulder, you'll probably find it although I think that is a lot rarer than some might be led to believe. Unit participation is a two way street and your experience is partly what you choose to make it.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBreeze View Post
...There are enough Units out there. One is bound to fit anybodies particular needs and interests. It is just a matter of being open minded, of exploring, and experimenting. If you are looking for a rebuff or cold shoulder, you'll probably find it although I think that is a lot rarer than some might be led to believe. Unit participation is a two way street and your experience is partly what you choose to make it.
I think this is partially true. The problem I see is that there are some geographic areas where units cover a lot of territory, and where some units are just plain moribund.

Sure, one can join and try to rebuild. That seems to be the case from your description of your unit. But not everybody wants to devote that kind of energy, particularly newcomers.

The alternative strategy -- probably also best for folks who have been around a little longer -- is to start a new unit where (geographically) no appropriately acceptable unit exists. That's the story of the Four Corners Unit, now a vibrant unit.

But, hey, it is different strokes for different folks, and I think there is room for all in the current structure of the WBCCI. And that includes folks who really do not want to be in particular unit.

Lynn
Old 08-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Units

A few points

Almost 90% of our membership is newcomers. Only 3 members have been with the Unit longer than 5 years.

It takes as much, if not more energy to create a new Unit from scratch as it does to rebuild one. AND it takes some dedicated people (like in the FCU and others) willing to expend their time and energy to do it.

It is a sad comment to imply that most newcomers don't want to expend any energy towards a Unit new or existing.

Whether newcomer or old timer, if you aren't willing to get involved, to support your chosen unit, to expend some energy then you deserve what you get.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Daine, your point is well taken. And I may well be flat wrong in suggesting that newcomers may not want to expend a lot of energy to rework an old unit or create a new one.

Lynn
Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #75
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I was greatly saddened to read in the August, 2008 Blue Beret that the IBT had voted 13 to 5 to increase the MAL Surcharge from $15 to $20. Now it will cost $75 per year to be a MAL...
one other useful bit of info in the august pulp...

the fall OCTOBER wb' rally in BRANSON has been cancelled.

so IF any forum folks have been considering having ANOTHER branson area event this FALL...

like this one,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...2007-10-12&c=1

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-28724.html

well the calendar is wide open, and i suspect attendance would be HEALTHY!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #76

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Some in WBCCI refuse to recognize the fact that some people want to be members of the Club, but have neither the time nor the interest to join any unit anywhere. Some folks (like us) are not congregators, and do not care for structured events.

Long live the MALs!!!!

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Some in WBCCI refuse to recognize the fact that some people want to be members of the Club, but have neither the time nor the interest to join any unit anywhere. Some folks (like us) are not congregators, and do not care for structured events.

Long live the MALs!!!!

Brian
Precisely why we formed our unit. No unit dues, no buisness meetings, no structured events, we just go camping...
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Forcing member participation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander View Post
Precisely why we formed our unit. No unit dues, no buisness meetings, no structured events, we just go camping...
Very good point.

I notice one consistent thread to the structure of many social organizations.

Simply stated, the founders set up their organization with the intention of "forcing" participation.

The best example of this is the way a quorum is defined for the conduct of business. Many think they are doing the right thing when setting up a club by stating that a certain percentage of total members is a quorum.

Or, as in the case of delegates who can vote at the IBT, a quorum for the vote by delegates at the IBT is 20% of the delegates ELIGIBLE to vote. Not the delegates present, the delegates ELIGIBLE. This almost insures that the delegates votes will often not be counted. 20% is a HUGE number.

Setting quorums to the members present insures that the people who attend the meetings get to make the decisions. Doing it the other way insures that the people in office get to make the decisions.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:

Long live the MALs!!!!

Brian
Did somebody on the IBT (or whatever) actually say that she/he wanted to do away with MAL status? I know that they raised dues; what hasn't done up in recent times? But to do away with MAL status is a different thing altogether.

Lynn
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #80

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Did somebody on the IBT (or whatever) actually say that she/he wanted to do away with MAL status? I know that they raised dues; what hasn't done up in recent times? But to do away with MAL status is a different thing altogether.

Lynn
Yes, everything is in fact going up, as we are all aware. That appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the IBT's blatantly discriminatory action of raising the dues for MALs. If inflation were a valid factor, The IBT would have raised the dues across the board for ALL members. If the IBT didn't want to reduce of eliminate the MALs, why did they raise the dues ONLY FOR MALs? The IBT's motive seem pretty clear to me. Maybe next year the IBT can double due for people who choose to participate in these Forums. That would be reasonable if inflation continues, wouldn't it?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)