Old 08-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #85
_

. , .
it's not about the 5 STINKING dollars...

no bashing here my friend...

but i do NOT buy the reasoning offered for the mal dues increase.

and yes ALL member fees will go up soon, but mals are the easiest and quickest group to rob.

because we cannot fight back.

take a minute and re read posts 14, 18, 34, 39 and ESPECIALLY 59...

#59 is REALLY what the future is about and no one at the wheel gets it.

YES the ibt wants to ERASE the mal members, issues and so on...

mal issues have become jsut another annoyance for them.

they also LIKE punishing folks monetarily, or with sanctions or with 15 years of ladder climbing...

it is SADLY part of the club ethos that 'battle ribbons' mean more than great ideas, energy and leadership SKILLS.

IF they really wanted to "gently guide new members to a unit" there are easy ways to do this...

1. assign all new members to a unit for year one, then once they UNDERSTAND what mal status REALLY means folks can opt for it.

2. send all mal folks a letter that says "you may only use this category for a year so start looking for a unit to join"

3. change the name of mal to "non voting affiliate 2nd class membership" which is WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO represent.

4. and the BIG WAY to encourage us to NOT BE MALs would be...

DON'T GIVE MALS any RED NUMBERS till they join a unit....

keep in mind i AM a mal, and the best LONG TERM solution would be a non geographic unit as we've argued many times...

so IF the real goal is moving folks toward units they are LOTS of creative and EFFECTIVE ways to do that.

but there is nothing creative about the DEAD end of this fish.

and raising fees is NOT creative or useful on the mal issue, but it is a QUICK action that looks like making money.

raising mal fees LOOKS like action, but it isn't, and it will work against the larger goals.

there are ~100 new members listed in the rag this month...

>1/4 are listed in unit#000, JUST like always the mal category is the LARGEST member pool.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Windham , New Hampshire
Hi Gang,

Just for the record! The IBT created the MAL membership in an effort to placate folks who were leaving the club because of local unit politics and poor attitudes toward new members.

It is apparent that this policy has not worked in keeping new members happy as we are still losing membership.

The evolution of the club has been most successful where there has been new and fresh ideas put into action and those small success grow into larger success which attract people of like mind and sensibilities.

The club will regenerate from the bottom up by those having and creating fun and fellowship. It can't be mandated from the top down.

Instead of creating disparity and discontent among "classes of membership" it might be better to discontinue the MAL category and go back to local control of membership. Finding a unit to participate regularly with is half the fun of joining. For those who want the cheapest dues, there are units who accept all newcomers. For those who want the camaraderie and support of others there is a unit out there for you too.

Those units, who are successful, advertise for new members and tell what they are all about and what their interests are. Check their WebPages through www.wbcci.org!

Don't be left out of the fun, find your home unit today and keep us going down the road to real change and membership growth!

WAM
Region 1 Rep VAC/WBCCI
Past President WDCU

Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
1969 27' Overlander
Martinez , Georgia
The IBT recordings are available, but very lengthy. I did listen. The intent is to "strongly encourage" MALs to join units. The IBT claims they want to ensure retention of MALs because they tend to leave in larger numbers than those in Units.

If I weren't interested in being part of a Unit, I would select one of the low or no dues units (like WDCU or Heart of Texas Camping, or 4CU...) and join. They can't force you to attend any unit functions (and those units won't). If you chose, you can then vote and have it counted. I do know some very nice folks in these units and you may actually enjoy their rallies.

Why pay more to the IBT? Give them exactly what the say they want...join and vote. It is exactly what they DON'T WANT.

If you want to win, don't stand on principles, walk over your opponents.

Matt
Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #88
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I hope everyone that is a MAL will STRONGLY consider joining the WDCU. We want you and you can do as little or as much as you want with the unit. Everyone is welcome. You can vote from where ever you are and actually have a voice.

2Air, if you give in and agree to join the WDCU, I will pay your club and membership dues next year. I will even send it in late so all your personal information remains out of the directory. Everything will be the same, except you will now be able to cast your vote.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #89

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I don't want to be in any unit. That's why I joined 4CU 2,000 miles from Florida. Why can't I belong to the National Club without being a member of a local unit? This attitude is stupid.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #90
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I don't want to be in any unit. That's why I joined 4CU 2,000 miles from Florida. Why can't I belong to the National Club without being a member of a local unit? This attitude is stupid.

Brian
You can be a member of the national without being a member of the local. While some folks do feel that they're being psychologically ousted, I don't think there's any solid, independently motivated evidence to suggest that the MAL category is being erased.

Lynn
Old 08-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I understand the idea of wanting things to be as you wish they would be... but fact is, the rules are what they are.

If you want to join the club, but don't care to vote... become a MAL.

If you want to vote... join a local unit too.

If you do not want to participate in the local unit activities... don't. You won't get badgered to volunteer or participate.

If you want the rules to change, you are going to have to join and participate in a big way so that you can advance to the IBT and then convince your fellow IBT members that your way is the right way.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #92
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner View Post
I understand the idea of wanting things to be as you wish they would be...

If you want the rules to change, you are going to have to join and participate in a big way...
that's one approach, but clearly not the only way to effect change.

and i'm skeptical of any insiders' advice on how to effect change, since folks ON THE INSIDE and playing properly have NOT.

mass exits can effect change...

attrition, loss of financial means, and other crisis can lead to change, so can loosing interest in the whole show.

sadly the wb' is much less relevant except as an archive of past glory and camping styles.

the long used line about joining a unit and changing from the inside gets weaker each time it is offered...

and is NO SOLUTION. getting IN LINE and behaving seldom lead to great new outcomes.

and ANOTHER example of the total LACK of understanding and responding to the issues comes DIRECTLY from the pres' message...

as the new pres promises in this months bb NOT to ever use....

"the C word"

yep direct quote, this year is about NOT using the "C word"...

they better keep running those ambulance evac adverts...

because using the "cpr" word may soon be required.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
A week or so ago, we had finally decided we should join WBCCI as MAL's.....then, I stumbled upon this discussion! When we bought our 2004 Classic, we fully expected that we would join "Wally's Airstream Club." However, after reading through a copy of the Blue Beret, we both decided that the activities that the WBCCI outings espouse was not our cup of tea.....perhaps it's something our parents or grandparents might have enjoyed. We just like to go CAMPING with folks that happen to also own an Airstream.... We have gone on a few NorCal AirForums outings, and that is EXACTLY what we had in mind.....camping and informal socializing, maybe a potluck or two, head out in groups or on our own during the day, informal tours of the various Airstream rigs, problem sharing/solutions, and maybe a glass of wine...or two...around the campfire at night....or not, if that's not how you are feeling at the moment.

All this in-fighting and the idea that the whole MAL participation thing is one that needs to be squashed is a real turn-off....not to mention hearing that one of the officers was suspended when he dared to raise the idea of CHANGE!

This is all a real shame, as I think many of us want to be associated with the club....for the history and camaraderie....but, I don't see much of a future for this club as it stands!

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
A week or so ago, we had finally decided we should join WBCCI as MAL's.....then, I stumbled upon this discussion! When we bought our 2004 Classic, we fully expected that we would join "Wally's Airstream Club." However, after reading through a copy of the Blue Beret, we both decided that the activities that the WBCCI outings espouse was not our cup of tea.....perhaps it's something our parents or grandparents might have enjoyed. We just like to go CAMPING with folks that happen to also own an Airstream.... We have gone on a few NorCal AirForums outings, and that is EXACTLY what we had in mind.....camping and informal socializing, maybe a potluck or two, head out in groups or on our own during the day, informal tours of the various Airstream rigs, problem sharing/solutions, and maybe a glass of wine...or two...around the campfire at night....or not, if that's not how you are feeling at the moment.

All this in-fighting and the idea that the whole MAL participation thing is one that needs to be squashed is a real turn-off....not to mention hearing that one of the officers was suspended when he dared to raise the idea of CHANGE!

This is all a real shame, as I think many of us want to be associated with the club....for the history and camaraderie....but, I don't see much of a future for this club as it stands!
Warbler5,

Its too bad you are in Northern California or you could join us at an El Camino Real Unit rally. We are not able to attend the September rally, but we will be joining them at the Peterson Automobile Museum for the "From Autocamps to Airstreams" exhibit on Saturday, September 13. We will be attending the October rally in San Diego where the unit will be going to Miramar Navel Air Station to watch the airshow with the Blue Angels.

Is this the type of Airstream Rally which you envision? If so, find a good unit and ignore the International politics.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #95

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
2air, I applaud your insight into the WBCCI's current situation. The folks in the system who are playing by the rules haven't changed squat except a few small things to make the situation worse. I think that if one is able to make it through the system to a position that can effect change, that person has become one of the "Stepford Wives" and does not see any need for change. The President's message about change (or the outlawing of it) is ludicrous, and demonstrates a lack of understanding of the current realities.

Warbler5, I also like your read on this thing. Your perceptions are very interesting. Many of the region and unit events in the WBCCI are very good. That alone is reason to become a WBCCI member. You can join one of the renegade units like 4CU, and no one will bug you, and the dues will be low. I also like your comment about the club officer being suspended for daring to contradict the High Potentate, and propose change. I guess no one is allowed to speak out.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #96
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I have been working hard at composing my thoughts about this thread. We seem to rehash this same thread in a different voice every few weeks. It seems to evolve into the same old song and dance within a few cords.

I am proud to belong to the WBBCI. I wear my numbers proudly...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2628.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	66124
I even follow some of the old traditions like putting our names and home town on the side. I have nothing to hide...

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	66130
I promote the club and my unit every time I meet any fellow Airstreamers anywhere I go. The reason I do this is because my WBCCI experiences have been some of the highlights of my life. If I had known how good a time I was going to have, I would have gotten myself and my family involved years ago. The unit I belong to has a motto: "Just camping and having fun" That is all I have been exposed to. We do have "official" meetings and as a non officer, I have actually been able to not only sit in, but actually participate.

Name:	050 -circle inst 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	505.2 KB
ID:	66131
My very first rally with the WDCU was the Installation Rally in which our new president and officers were installed. I had read about all the pomp and circumstance involved and was pleasantly surprised by how the event unfolded.

Name:	01   0cerem.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	712.4 KB
ID:	66125
I mean these folks were all dressed so formally and were taking it all so seriously.

Name:	052-sg b vg.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	66126
Some of our members are old enough to be my grandparents. They only do the things that old people do...

Name:	049-e and d p 100.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	66127
I wish Ethel and Dick were my grandparents. Dick will you adopt me please.

Name:	050-pw upclose.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	66129

Name:	054-dick p.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	66128
So where is this all going? I want to ask anyone out there sitting on the fence, to come camp with us. Come see what our version of the WBCCI is all about. There are those that are showing a different view of the club than what I see. Come camp with us and have fun. I will pay the rally fee of any forums member that wants to attend any WDCU rally. A no obligation offer.

And in conclusion.... 2Air, my offer still stands, I will pay your membership for both the club and the unit.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The post above just made me laugh. And it's about WBCCI Now, that has to be a good thing. Thanks, ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Well......THAT certainly looks like more fun than what I saw in the Blue Beret

One question.....if we were to join the 4CU, would it be looked down upon for us to join in on the rallies of other units? I think one reason we were considering the MAL option was because we wanted to go on a few rallies with other units before committing ourselves! And, perhaps the 4CU might be one that we would want to stick with.....is that a problem, even though we could potentially become active in another unit?

Cheers

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU