Old 08-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Why I'm a Unit member

I have been a member of three different Units and a member of my current Unit for over 10 years. I plan on staying a member for the foreseeable future. My current Unit went through some rough times but with the assistance of some dedicated members, is now a healthy and growing group. Being a member of this Unit is like being part of a family. The Unit is like our immediate family. The Region and National organization are our relatives. As a member of our Unit (or any Unit) we are not restricted from attending the rallies or events of other Units and many of our members have done so. We have also had visitors from other Units and Regions attend our Unit functions. Instead of closing us off from participation in a global community, being a Unit member expands our opportunities and creates a stronger common link. No matter where we wander, who we visit, or how long it may be between our participation in our local Unit activities, it is always nice to come home. Our Airstream family always welcomes us and is anxious to hear about our adventures. While some of us are traveling, others keep the home fires burning. Our Unit rallies, which is our priority, provide the local camaraderie and the fun we all enjoy. Our Unit rallies are the glue that keeps us enthused and excited about being Airstreamers and members of WBCCI.

My grandparents belonged to several Units. This provided them with a home no matter what part of the country they were currently in. Their membership and participation was a way to support the various Units. That didn't prevent them from traveling on their own, or with other Airstream friends and enjoying other events and activities with their Airstream.

To me, the advantages of belonging to a Unit far outweigh the advantages of any other option. There are enough Units out there. One is bound to fit anybodies particular needs and interests. It is just a matter of being open minded, of exploring, and experimenting. If you are looking for a rebuff or cold shoulder, you'll probably find it although I think that is a lot rarer than some might be led to believe. Unit participation is a two way street and your experience is partly what you choose to make it.

Sierra Nevada Unit #157
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #72
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraBreeze View Post
...There are enough Units out there. One is bound to fit anybodies particular needs and interests. It is just a matter of being open minded, of exploring, and experimenting. If you are looking for a rebuff or cold shoulder, you'll probably find it although I think that is a lot rarer than some might be led to believe. Unit participation is a two way street and your experience is partly what you choose to make it.
I think this is partially true. The problem I see is that there are some geographic areas where units cover a lot of territory, and where some units are just plain moribund.

Sure, one can join and try to rebuild. That seems to be the case from your description of your unit. But not everybody wants to devote that kind of energy, particularly newcomers.

The alternative strategy -- probably also best for folks who have been around a little longer -- is to start a new unit where (geographically) no appropriately acceptable unit exists. That's the story of the Four Corners Unit, now a vibrant unit.

But, hey, it is different strokes for different folks, and I think there is room for all in the current structure of the WBCCI. And that includes folks who really do not want to be in particular unit.

Lynn

Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

Units

A few points

Almost 90% of our membership is newcomers. Only 3 members have been with the Unit longer than 5 years.

It takes as much, if not more energy to create a new Unit from scratch as it does to rebuild one. AND it takes some dedicated people (like in the FCU and others) willing to expend their time and energy to do it.

It is a sad comment to imply that most newcomers don't want to expend any energy towards a Unit new or existing.

Whether newcomer or old timer, if you aren't willing to get involved, to support your chosen unit, to expend some energy then you deserve what you get.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
http://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #74
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Daine, your point is well taken. And I may well be flat wrong in suggesting that newcomers may not want to expend a lot of energy to rework an old unit or create a new one.

Lynn
Old 08-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #75
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I was greatly saddened to read in the August, 2008 Blue Beret that the IBT had voted 13 to 5 to increase the MAL Surcharge from $15 to $20. Now it will cost $75 per year to be a MAL...
one other useful bit of info in the august pulp...

the fall OCTOBER wb' rally in BRANSON has been cancelled.

so IF any forum folks have been considering having ANOTHER branson area event this FALL...

like this one,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...2007-10-12&c=1

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-28724.html

well the calendar is wide open, and i suspect attendance would be HEALTHY!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #76

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Some in WBCCI refuse to recognize the fact that some people want to be members of the Club, but have neither the time nor the interest to join any unit anywhere. Some folks (like us) are not congregators, and do not care for structured events.

Long live the MALs!!!!

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 PM   #77
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Some in WBCCI refuse to recognize the fact that some people want to be members of the Club, but have neither the time nor the interest to join any unit anywhere. Some folks (like us) are not congregators, and do not care for structured events.

Long live the MALs!!!!

Brian
Precisely why we formed our unit. No unit dues, no buisness meetings, no structured events, we just go camping...
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #78
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Forcing member participation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Overlander View Post
Precisely why we formed our unit. No unit dues, no buisness meetings, no structured events, we just go camping...
Very good point.

I notice one consistent thread to the structure of many social organizations.

Simply stated, the founders set up their organization with the intention of "forcing" participation.

The best example of this is the way a quorum is defined for the conduct of business. Many think they are doing the right thing when setting up a club by stating that a certain percentage of total members is a quorum.

Or, as in the case of delegates who can vote at the IBT, a quorum for the vote by delegates at the IBT is 20% of the delegates ELIGIBLE to vote. Not the delegates present, the delegates ELIGIBLE. This almost insures that the delegates votes will often not be counted. 20% is a HUGE number.

Setting quorums to the members present insures that the people who attend the meetings get to make the decisions. Doing it the other way insures that the people in office get to make the decisions.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #79
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:

Long live the MALs!!!!

Brian
Did somebody on the IBT (or whatever) actually say that she/he wanted to do away with MAL status? I know that they raised dues; what hasn't done up in recent times? But to do away with MAL status is a different thing altogether.

Lynn
Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #80

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Did somebody on the IBT (or whatever) actually say that she/he wanted to do away with MAL status? I know that they raised dues; what hasn't done up in recent times? But to do away with MAL status is a different thing altogether.

Lynn
Yes, everything is in fact going up, as we are all aware. That appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the IBT's blatantly discriminatory action of raising the dues for MALs. If inflation were a valid factor, The IBT would have raised the dues across the board for ALL members. If the IBT didn't want to reduce of eliminate the MALs, why did they raise the dues ONLY FOR MALs? The IBT's motive seem pretty clear to me. Maybe next year the IBT can double due for people who choose to participate in these Forums. That would be reasonable if inflation continues, wouldn't it?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
MAL=Middle ALabama?

Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana unit of the WBCCI
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #82
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Quote:
Yes, everything is in fact going up, as we are all aware. That appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the IBT's blatantly discriminatory action of raising the dues for MALs. If inflation were a valid factor, The IBT would have raised the dues across the board for ALL members. If the IBT didn't want to reduce of eliminate the MALs, why did they raise the dues ONLY FOR MALs? The IBT's motive seem pretty clear to me. Maybe next year the IBT can double due for people who choose to participate in these Forums. That would be reasonable if inflation continues, wouldn't it?

Brian
Non-international dues for MALS, unlike unit dues, are controlled directly by the IBT, for obvious reason. They have the power to alter MAL dues, but they don't have the power to alter unit dues. My suspicion is, under the current fiscal circumstances of the international office, that the IBT would have raised unit dues, too, but they can't do that.

My feeling is that we should stop complaining about specific cases of rate increases and work instead on ways they can save money. I'd begin with an opt-in electronic version of the Blue Beret.

Lynn
Old 08-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:

Brian
Brian,

If you listen to the IBT recordings (available on the WBCCI site under IBT tab) you will hear that the IBT does not understand or want MALs. The reason for increasing the dues is to make it more economical for someone to choose a unit rather than being MAL (regardless of the negative effect on the budget). If you read the current Blue Beret, the dues for everyone will be going up $15 next year.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #84
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Members At Large

I attended the meeting at the International as many of the posters here were.

While I neither fully agree nor fully disagree, the rational for the increase in Member At Large dues is to encourage, push or nudge (depending on your slant) non-affiliated members towards units, which in turn would give them voting rights and therefore the ability to affect change.

My unit, the (Heart Of Texas Camping unit) or HOTC, is one of the newer formed units.
As virtual a unit as you can get. Most all communication and business are by E-mail.

We are a progressive laid back group, consisting of families with young children through retired couples and everyone in the middle. State parks and dry-camping monthly with lots of cookouts, campfires and exploring are what we like to do.
We also have a number of vintage units along with Airstream Motorhomes in out group.

Only a $ ONE BUCK $ a year dues.

One buck, what is it good for...

This BUCK gets me voting rights so I can affect change, PLUS lower membership dues!

As a full-timer my travels take me to rallies and campouts with other units, so I still enjoy the unfettered MAL privileges of hopping around from unit-to-unit.

As for the notion that one needs to be involved and committed, I'm a full timer so I only get to hang with my BASE unit 2 or 3 times a year, but that does not preclude me from getting involved. Web design, photos,graphic design and communication keep me an active and valuable member of my unit while on the road. There are just so many ways to get involved without actually collecting firewood, setting up the community tent or picking up trash. Virtual, remember!

Not satisfied with the club, jaw boning about it without voting privileges is ineffective and will not make you satisfied. Find a unit that reflects your life style, your vision of the club YOU WANT. How, talk to other unit members right here on the forum right now!

If you still want to be a Member At Large, and that is what works for your life style, that's great, but it's a choice, and it is your choice.

disclamier

I know anything WBCCI related is a hot topic here, and I am not looking or interested in getting into a pissing match on this one.

1. This is only my posted opinion on this topic, pointing out what I believe are some of the advantages to joining a unit, plus the rational for the Member At Large dues increase as presented to the membership at the WBCCI International meeting in Bozman, MT which I attended.

2. As a forum member I want to express my opinion.

3. This is only a post and I'm hoping not to get bashed for it.

CHANGE the club, JOIN a unit

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote