Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member
 
fullairtime's Avatar
 
2007 25' International CCD FB
Alexandria , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
As a relatively new member to WBCCI, and a MAL, I must make a simple point. Not all MALs have a local anything. When I bought my Airstream a little over a year ago, it was because I was planning to sell my home in the DC area and fulltime in my trailer. I joined unaware of the overall political scene of the club, looking more for some sense of community in my new endeavor. When I contacted WBCCI to join, I was given no information about what my MAL status actually meant. I figured since I was leaving DC, why would I join a unit I would never actually be a part of? I did not want to commit to one particular community knowing I could not contribute to it.
It was only after I had paid my dues that I received an email from the DC unit letting me know I could join for $1/year and that as a MAL I could not vote. I felt like I had read the information provided me by WBCCI and had not seen that before.
At the International Rally, many units were vying (sp?) for my membership. Although I now know I could save money and vote if I joined with any of them, I still feel the same way about wanting to contribute and not being able to do so.
I consider my self to be the new marketing demographic for Airstream and WBCCI. I am in my mid-thirties, my work and life are mobile, and I use their product to it fullest potential whilst advertising the club and lifestyle throughout the country.
With mobility being what it is today, especially for the new generation of Airstreamers, I wonder why there is not a unit for MALs. I was told in Bozeman that units are geographically based. This obviously is valid, but in 2008 I believe there is room for more- not only for those who are virtually connected, but for those who take their homebase with them.
__________________

__________________
fullairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member
 
fullairtime's Avatar
 
2007 25' International CCD FB
Alexandria , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 12
BTW- if we could create a MAL unit, how would we without a vote?

How funny would it be to make it happen and then charge 50 cents a year?!

;-)
__________________

__________________
fullairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #59
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
now that would be showing them...

The east coast already has a unit that allows folks to never show up or to attend every event there is, to participate or to do nothing but talk about how bad things are. The unit allows you to vote even if you live in california, kansas, or china for that matter. It already is in place... it is is called the WDCU. When at an event far away someone can say you are in the WDCU? do you live there? You can say no, I live in Tinbuktu but the WDCU includes me in all their votes and I can be at large out there floating.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #60
Rivet Master
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,311
OK folks, I will first tell you I'm a newbie here (Newbie on the forum and total newbie about the WBCCI, but not to TT's or AS), and thinking about joining WBCCI. I'm reading all of this thread and really can't understand it because I don't know what the abreviations mean. Yes, I have done searches, but they return literally volumes of information I do not have the time to read through. These are the ones I do not know: WDCU, VAL, FCU, 4CU, IBT

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
__________________
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #61
Rivet Master
 
streamer23's Avatar
 
NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,448
Images: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
OK folks, I will first tell you I'm a newbie here (Newbie on the forum and total newbie about the WBCCI, but not to TT's or AS), and thinking about joining WBCCI. I'm reading all of this thread and really can't understand it because I don't know what the abreviations mean. Yes, I have done searches, but they return literally volumes of information I do not have the time to read through. These are the ones I do not know: WDCU, VAL, FCU, 4CU, IBT

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
WDCU-Washington DC Unit (of WBCCI)
VAL-maybe you meant VAC-Vintage Airstream Club
FCU-Four Corners Unit(of WBCCI)
4CU-same as above
IBT-International Board of Trustee's(leadership of WBCCI)
__________________
Mike

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #62
Rivet Master

 
Southwestern , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,669
Val

VAL is an abbreviation for Vintage Airstream List, a vintage Airstream email list that has been around for a long time. It was originally sponsored by the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) and was called the VACList, but VAC stopped supporting it so Tom Patterson took on the job and it became the independent Vintage Airstream List (VAL).

For more information or to subscribe go here,

Vintage Airstream List Index Page

Best of luck,
Nuvi
__________________
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #63
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullairtime View Post
With mobility being what it is today, especially for the new generation of Airstreamers, I wonder why there is not a unit for MALs. I was told in Bozeman that units are geographically based. This obviously is valid, but in 2008 I believe there is room for more- not only for those who are virtually connected, but for those who take their homebase with them.
I think that the club needs to recognize that telecommuting is something that isn't going to go away. There are those who do as you suggest, they don't live in one place. MAL allows them to belong without feeling guilty about not being able to contribute to a local unit.
__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #64
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
This is exactly why we joined the 4CU. It is 2000 miles away. We don't really want to belong to any Unit. We average 150 nights a year out traveling in Lucy. We don't feel like we can participate in local unit activities. Our closest unit is 100 miles from our home, so we don't want to just run over for a lunch meeting.

WBCCI needs a MAL unit. It could be a "Headquarters Unit" administered at WBCCI Headquarters in Jackson Center. God knows that the MALs already pay enough "unit dues" to cover administrative costs at HQ. This way the new Headquarters Unit Members can feel included and not shoved to the side.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #65
Moderator
Commercial Member
 
eubank's Avatar
 
1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,428
I agree with Brian: For folks who don't need or want a home unit, there's MAL.

Lynn
__________________
WBCCI 21043
eubank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #66
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
improve YOUR thread reading experience!!!

i'd like to see at least ONE useful outcome from this thread...

for everyone (wb' members, forum folks and even mals)

so HERE IT IS...

often threads grow to 100s of posts and clicking through dozens of pages is a chore,

just to read a long string of posts, or to scroll back more than 10 posts or so...

so HERE IS A TIP that will improve reading long threads.

1. click on "user cp" from the blue bar MENU, right next to portal on the far left...
2. now on the far left find the vertical menu labeled "your control panel"
3. go to the 3rd heading in your control panel labeled "settings and options"
4. click (open) the 4th listing titled "edit options"...
5. there will be 5 center windows here, GO TO the 3rd window labeled "thread display options"
6. in the "thread display options" section there are 4 boxed setting adjustments,
7. go to the 3rd box "number of posts to show per page"
8 default here is 6-8 posts per page, change this to "show 100 posts per page"...
9. scroll to the bottom of the user control panel/page and click "save changes"...
10. now go back to the portal page or new posts or todays posts or wherever u normally read threads...

and NOW every thread u view will load 100 posts per page!

so a thread like this one is (currently) ONLY 1 page long, and threads with <1000 posts are only 10 pages.

a page with 100 posts will take 1 nanosecond longer to load, BUT that's still quicker that reloading 12-15 pages....

try it U WILL LIKE IT!

now that we've actually accomplished something useful, back 2 moose's thread topic...

there are a couple of insightful posts in this thread and the topic of mals/club dues and so on, is important...

i'll post some hopefully relevant content later...

and maybe it will be on PAGE 1...

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #67
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post

so HERE IS A TIP that will improve reading long threads.

1. click on "user cp" from the blue bar MENU, right next to portal on the far left...
2. now on the far left find the vertical menu labeled "your control panel"
3. go to the 3rd heading in your control panel labeled "settings and options"
4. click (open) the 4th listing titled "edit options"...
5. there will be 5 center windows here, GO TO the 3rd window labeled "thread display options"
6. in the "thread display options" section there are 4 boxed setting adjustments,
7. go to the 3rd box "number of posts to show per page"
8 default here is 6-8 posts per page, change this to "show 100 posts per page"...
9. scroll to the bottom of the user control panel/page and click "save changes"...
10. now go back to the portal page or new posts or todays posts or wherever u normally read threads...

and NOW every thread u view will load 100 posts per page!

so a thread like this one is (currently) ONLY 1 page long, and threads with <1000 posts are only 10 pages.

a page with 100 posts will take 1 nanosecond longer to load, BUT that's still quicker that reloading 12-15 pages....

try it U WILL LIKE IT!

now that we've actually accomplished something useful, back 2 moose's thread topic...

there are a couple of insightful posts in this thread and the topic of mals/club dues and so on, is important...

i'll post some hopefully relevant content later...

and maybe it will be on PAGE 1...

cheers
2air'
I use this option, unless I am on dial-up, then I reset to the smallest possible amount of posts per page so they stand a snowball's chance in Havana of loading within my lifetime...
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #68
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,756
I have no opinion about a MAL Unit as I'm in the FCU.

I do believe that the International will have a very strong negative opinion about it. So be prepared to circumvent them.

You may need to base yourself in a specific place and pretend to be a tradionally based Unit until you have your charter.

Good luck.
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #69
Moderator
 
HiHoAgRV's Avatar

 
1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,326
Images: 29
Blog Entries: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
I have no opinion about a MAL Unit ... be prepared to circumvent them... a specific place and pretend to be a tradionally based Unit...

Good luck.
MAL=Middle ALabama?
__________________
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy http://www.airforums.com/forums/f205...num-54749.html
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #70
Rivet Master
 
mustang's Avatar
 
1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 803
I read about why join the wbcci or local unit, I wanted to say fellowship and fun. I belong to the Akron Unit and I will say These people go. I have been a member for about 10 years and my family and I never regreted it. For me and my family it was about traveling and fun and we made a whole lot of freinds along the way. My son got married and is almost finished with college. He bought a tow vehicle and keeps asking me to use my Airstream. I predict my kids will all have them. That is the Impact this unit has made on them. For me it is hard to beleve in a time of non joiners. There is no finer group for me.
__________________

__________________
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gumball 3000 captures trailer sway in action. damonbeals Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 7 08-21-2008 12:41 PM
Partial braking action Ahzmyrah Brakes & Brake Controllers 4 10-24-2007 11:10 PM
Lights, camera, action! Janet H Off Topic Forum 2 06-20-2005 11:13 PM
Airstream-Eastwood Action Kistler Our Community 6 01-12-2003 08:01 PM
Successful Repair Action winner Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 2 04-13-2002 04:51 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.