Old 08-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #29

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
You know, I've heard many people say that the "mainstream" WBCCI members as a whole think of the airforums.com'ers as a bunch of pirates, hippies or "hummas & brie-eating, wine-tasting pinko-commies" IE: we didn't fight in WWII or Korea and might have smoked whacky-terbaccy in the 70's. ...

In vino veritas. Paula:lo l:
OMG they are watching our e-mails and reading our minds now! (John Prine lyrics playing in the background)
I would consider joining as a MAL simply to state I don't seem fit into the rest of the bunch but I don't see an upside to even doing that. FCU seemed a good option but it's a bit far for the monthly get-together...

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Carrol your resume is extremely impressive as is your service to the club, thank you very much what you have done. But you have not answered why you want to be a Member at Large. Why at large? what is the benefit of this... remember I am just a little slow.
It must be me who is slow because I keep trying to mention that particular thing specifically. Why limit yourself to citizenship of a single place when you can be citizen of the world! I like things more wide than more narrow (minded.) I find it enhances and stimulates my views best.

The status exists and its a great fit for me. I quit the unit but not the club. The MAL status is actually a fail safe to retain membership when local units do not satisfy or before one is located. There can be plenty of politics and posturing and machinations in a given local unit only instead of concentrating on club issues they become personal affronts. I choose streaming free of that.

Paula you're a hoot. We should rally again. You speak my language.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
I especially like the 'renegade' feeling
seems to be an interesting reason to join up with a club that exists to promote common and shared activities.

From the talk here, it would be easy to get the idea that some think they are entitled to club membership.

Perhaps a focus on the reasons the club exists could be more profitable?

and all this ruckus about an amount that is about on par with the cost to purchase a new battery for your RV.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper View Post
Perhaps a focus on the reasons the club exists could be more profitable?
I believe the Club was started for the same reason Wally led Caravans. To sell Airstreams.

Just so happens though that travelling and camping with fellow Airstreamers is a whole lot of fun.

When I was a MAL I didn't travel or camp with other Streamers. So I joined a Unit that to me was a dud but to them it was a great time. Sooo I shopped some Units and wound up in the FCU. Now I travel, camp and have fun with other Streamers. There is a whole bunch of fun to be had in the WBCCI.

Now lots of folks are less than thrilled with the actions and inactions of the IBT. I'm one of them but I never let that detract from the fun I have with my Unit. I just bide my time and help anyone who wants to run from the floor or working to update our club and make it viable for the next generation of members we need in order to survive.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper View Post
...and all this ruckus about an amount that is about on par with the cost to purchase a new battery for your RV.
Hey Bryan, how ya be?

All the rukus is NOT about the money or the amount, the rukus is in the selective application of the increase and the reason that spawned it. It is not because MALs have necessitated a dues increase in the WBCCI budget that warrants an increase. And it is the realization that one has just been faced with the first step towards being eradicated. A little empathy is in order if you can tear yourself away from all that fun you are having. (I'm teasing you Bryan.)

Until you great units are willing to hold a rally within distance of the dry pockets you will certainly be leaving some members behind caught in between a rock and a hard place, eliminating their only club status.

photography
Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
MAL Member

Being a MAL makes me feel like the red headed stepchild who has to stay outside and look in through the window. I can support a membership increase if it is among everyone. To single out just the MAL ain't right.

Jim and Susan asked why we don't join an upcoming unit. I'm also a fulltimer. How would a local unit member feel if I never showed up for any meetings or grounds maintenance? Would it be right if a unit had lots of do nothing ghost members? There is no way I could afford to drive or fly from Lacey,Washington to Birmingham, Alabama to attend a meeting.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #35
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I also have no dog in this race either, but I will say the even the Moose upped the cost of membership too (though it was an across the board increase).

It is odd that they would hit the MALs only with an increase. I agree it's not that most folks, particularly ones that own Airstreams can't afford another .205/day. This issue is simply compounded by several factors as I see it:

Cost of energy
Cost of food
Cost of products

All three have skyrocketed and to me, I wonder what the additional .205/day is doing for the club and more importantly, why hit just one section? If you really have to ask that question, look at the clubs past votes and business. It's not hard to see why they did what they did. Most of the voting folks are full members, officers, etc. Why should they pay the increase too? Same folks most likely that voted to allow SOBs into the .org mostly due to no new Airstream MoHos. Again, serving their own interests above that of the overall .org.

I love how dedicated folks are about the club. They (the club) have done lately some really incredibly reckless things, yet the following is comparable to that of drinking kool aid. But hey, like I said, I have no dog in this race, and my views about WBCCI are well documented on this forum. If yer a MAL and willing to pay it or a member who doesn't have to pay an increase, yet still puts up with all the ancillary activities, so be it. Life is all about choices.

Made my choice the year after my initial free year membership ran out and haven't looked back. Year after year, that choice seems to be the gift that keeps on giving as I continue to read all the things the club has tried to do or has done to the dynamics of the core of the club.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I was a member for 2 years and did not renew this year. No bang for the buck. Met some very nice people just could never get my schedule to work with any of the trips, meetings, or lunches. My wife still works, my son is still in school, and I retired then returned to work as a contractor. The first year I really wanted to go to the international and followed with interest, the more I followed the more it seemed like way to much drama for a camping club.

I decided to cull out all of my under utilized club memberships and magazine subscriptions in the last few months, looks like I will save about 75 cents a day, which adds up to a nice weekend trip close to home this year.

I may rejoin the WBBCI when I have more time and freedom, if you do not have the flexibility to participate it is hard to get any bang for the buck.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Never mind my commiserating and MALs being taxed higher. Is it true what I read on Save Wally that Region 1 president Bob Thompson, my hero btw, has been suspended for one year for sending grievances to the IBT? They are going waaaaaaaay too far. That is just major big time WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

photography
Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #38
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I guess the rate increase is serving Management's objective in that I am reconsidering my MAL status (again). Even though 62Over doesn't understand, for me joining a unit entails some obligation - that of doing your part in supporting your unit's activities. After all, the work that gets done in units is all volunteer; the reward the volunteers receive is the satisfaction that their effors were enjoyed by the other members of the unit.

So - if I can't find (or don't find) the time to participate, what do I contribute? I feel bad about that.

As far as a MAL unit, from what I have seen of the FCU they could provide a home for those that seek that kind of loose association. But they are a danged long way away. But I might go ahead and see if they'll have me - because the $ pisses me off. Maybe not the $, but the upcharge for wanting to be a back-bencher and having to pay front-row prices.

Sorry about the stream-of-conciousness ramble. But Foiled did mention the 70s, after all.

Pat
Old 08-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #39

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I relinquished my MAL status last year and joined up with 4CU at its inception to get some say so in the Moho issue. Saving some money on my dues was just an added bonus. As I live in the Florida Panhandle, I haven't participated in any Unit activities. I like belonging to 4CU because I kind of perceive it as a rouge unit, and I fancy myself as a rogue member.

Here's a thought. If all current MALs were to join the 4CU, it would become the largest Unit by far. It would probably have more membership than any of the other regions.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #40
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Never mind my commiserating and MALs being taxed higher. Is it true what I read on Save Wally that Region 1 president Bob Thompson, my hero btw, has been suspended for one year for sending grievances to the IBT? They are going waaaaaaaay too far. That is just major big time WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes it is true. I am at the R1R and Bob is suspended for one year from today.

That is sad.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #41

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Could someone explain to me what exactly Mr. Thompson did to get get suspended from WBCCI? It sounds suspiciously fishy to me.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
You go to an International or regional event and your badge says WDCU. The conversation will go something like you are from Washington? No I am not I am from Michigan. Then why are you WDCU? Because they are cheaper and I get a vote.
Carol,

I'm from WI and like to "hang" with the WDCU folks... My answer to that question would have been "because they are a wicked-fun group...you should join us sometime"

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote