Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #41

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Could someone explain to me what exactly Mr. Thompson did to get get suspended from WBCCI? It sounds suspiciously fishy to me.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
You go to an International or regional event and your badge says WDCU. The conversation will go something like you are from Washington? No I am not I am from Michigan. Then why are you WDCU? Because they are cheaper and I get a vote.
Carol,

I'm from WI and like to "hang" with the WDCU folks... My answer to that question would have been "because they are a wicked-fun group...you should join us sometime"
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #43
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I hope that all of you find somewhere that you feel comfortable. I am a proud member of the club, I have a great unit that I do participate with. Becoming a member has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I hope all of you out there can be as lucky. Good luck with your journey....
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
(John Prine lyrics playing in the background)
"Hello in There"

"Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore"

"Illegal Smile"...it don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while.

Maybe we could ALL go to Wally-World and get some red numbers
of our own. That might get some attention.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Thanks TomW (post#7) I am so new I didn't even know what a MAL was. Amazing what one can learn here! He He !
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #46
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Could someone explain to me what exactly Mr. Thompson did to get get suspended from WBCCI? It sounds suspiciously fishy to me.

Brian
It seems no one is allowed to criticize the management and staff of the WBCCI--Even the management and staff...
From what I've been told, he was "shunned" for telling people the club was in trouble.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I guess the rate increase is serving Management's objective in that I am reconsidering my MAL status (again). Even though 62Over doesn't understand, for me joining a unit entails some obligation - that of doing your part in supporting your unit's activities. After all, the work that gets done in units is all volunteer; the reward the volunteers receive is the satisfaction that their effors were enjoyed by the other members of the unit.

So - if I can't find (or don't find) the time to participate, what do I contribute? I feel bad about that.

As far as a MAL unit, from what I have seen of the FCU they could provide a home for those that seek that kind of loose association. But they are a danged long way away. But I might go ahead and see if they'll have me - because the $ pisses me off. Maybe not the $, but the upcharge for wanting to be a back-bencher and having to pay front-row prices.

Sorry about the stream-of-conciousness ramble. But Foiled did mention the 70s, after all.

Pat
Join us in the FCU. We'll gladly take you as you are and give you a voice and a vote.

Our new motto.

Front row seats for back bench prices!

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Mal unit

I sure think like some of the poastings that MAL's should start a unit. It could be based on the 4CU.Basically we have no meetings,(business done on the internet)no luncheons,just some realy nice loose type rallies that any WBCCI member is welcome to come to.No trailers lined up by the book,no flags display by the book.(We put out our American Flags)
This sure would work for you in the east and you in the west can join us at the 4CU.
It is always nice to have member participate in unit activities but with many younger Airstreamers this is hard to do.So membership in a MAL unit would give them a unit and unify MAL members into another renegade unit that would have a vote to help us change the WBCCI (For the better) over time.
So you MALs please get off the porch and run with the big dogs,be sheepdogs not sheep,start a unit of like minded members,get a vote and work for change in WBCCI.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
...I think they'd be happy to have you, even if you never made it to an event. We have MANY members we've never even met. They get our newsletter every other month. Their emails are included in our googlegroups discussions, and no, most don't post, or engage. No problems, no issues....(Quote:65GT)
There is a difference, Bryan. Your group IS happy as your post testifies. However, far too many posters in previous forum threads have described experiences where their non-participation brought recriminations from the unit leaders. It would take just one of those comments to chill me on a unit, as has happened, time and time again to others. For general discussion: as for IBT's "suspension" of Thompson, WHAT? Is this like a slap on the hand or being sent to stand in the corner? What on earth does that group expect to happen? For him to come whimpering back, full of apology at his "error" in casting a thoughtful albeit critical eye upon their royal mess? Good grief, as Charley Brown has been know to dispair. What a childish group of fools who have set themselves up in perpetuity for club "leadership." Here I am sputtering in indignation again. Sigh..... ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Yep, same here. I'm not going to make any judgments on the matter until we hear the full story.

Lynn
Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
It would take just one of those comments to chill me on a unit, as has happened, time and time again to others. Here I am sputtering in indignation again. Sigh..... ~G
Ditto that, been there, quit the club, quit my subscription to Air Steam Life,
I'll still wave at all of you out on the road, and continue on the forum.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
For the WBCCI to discriminate against the MAL's is not right. If they choose to remain on their own is THEIR right. They should not be charged more than unit members for doing so. I would hope their are enough intellegent members within WBCCI to figure out a solution. To deny MAL's their vote is not right.

WBCCI needs to wake up. There are a lot of AS's out there on the road without numbers. We see more without than with numbers.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #53
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
There are a lot without red numbers because they don't want them. I'm one of those people.
I enjoy camping not politics, sorry for interrupting the discussion.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #54
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Careful, Ma'am, I have a kilt and know how to use it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
......So, why not really consider forming the "MAL-FORUM" unit? Chartered, official, and lets have an online contest to see how much we can decorate (or desecrate) a blue beret. I'm thinking one with multicolor blinking fairy lights, tinsel and pink flamingo pins with a big pink bow in the back for mine. Get one or two guys to show up wearing kilts or sporting goth spiked hair and we could have a mass extinction (by spontaneous combustion) of all of the "rank and file" WBCCI members over 75...

Sorry, the devil made me think it.....

In vino veritas. Paula:lo l:
Why not indeed! I love the idea. Change for the better usually starts at the grass-roots level, doesn't it? I'm going to start a Forum Poll here in the WBCCI forum and simply ask the question. Let's see what kind of response we get.

Wait, I think polls are in their own forum...I'll figure it out.
Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #55
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
OK boys and girls. Thar she be: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...oll-44424.html Post away. Or is that aweigh?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
HEY we're both in Virginia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
I guess the rate increase is serving Management's objective in that I am reconsidering my MAL status (again). Even though 62Over doesn't understand, for me joining a unit entails some obligation - that of doing your part in supporting your unit's activities. After all, the work that gets done in units is all volunteer; the reward the volunteers receive is the satisfaction that their effors were enjoyed by the other members of the unit.

So - if I can't find (or don't find) the time to participate, what do I contribute? I feel bad about that.

As far as a MAL unit, from what I have seen of the FCU they could provide a home for those that seek that kind of loose association. But they are a danged long way away. But I might go ahead and see if they'll have me - because the $ pisses me off. Maybe not the $, but the upcharge for wanting to be a back-bencher and having to pay front-row prices.

Sorry about the stream-of-conciousness ramble. But Foiled did mention the 70s, after all.

Pat
We SHOULD get an east coast version of the FCU shouldn't we? Here we are both in Virginia! I work too, and finding the time, plus not being a great organizer are both problems. Now who do we know who would accept the HONOR of starting the "MAL-FORUMED" chapter?

Paula
Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #57
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Alexandria , Virginia
As a relatively new member to WBCCI, and a MAL, I must make a simple point. Not all MALs have a local anything. When I bought my Airstream a little over a year ago, it was because I was planning to sell my home in the DC area and fulltime in my trailer. I joined unaware of the overall political scene of the club, looking more for some sense of community in my new endeavor. When I contacted WBCCI to join, I was given no information about what my MAL status actually meant. I figured since I was leaving DC, why would I join a unit I would never actually be a part of? I did not want to commit to one particular community knowing I could not contribute to it.
It was only after I had paid my dues that I received an email from the DC unit letting me know I could join for $1/year and that as a MAL I could not vote. I felt like I had read the information provided me by WBCCI and had not seen that before.
At the International Rally, many units were vying (sp?) for my membership. Although I now know I could save money and vote if I joined with any of them, I still feel the same way about wanting to contribute and not being able to do so.
I consider my self to be the new marketing demographic for Airstream and WBCCI. I am in my mid-thirties, my work and life are mobile, and I use their product to it fullest potential whilst advertising the club and lifestyle throughout the country.
With mobility being what it is today, especially for the new generation of Airstreamers, I wonder why there is not a unit for MALs. I was told in Bozeman that units are geographically based. This obviously is valid, but in 2008 I believe there is room for more- not only for those who are virtually connected, but for those who take their homebase with them.
fullairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #58
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Alexandria , Virginia
BTW- if we could create a MAL unit, how would we without a vote?

How funny would it be to make it happen and then charge 50 cents a year?!

;-)
fullairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 AM   #59
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
now that would be showing them...

The east coast already has a unit that allows folks to never show up or to attend every event there is, to participate or to do nothing but talk about how bad things are. The unit allows you to vote even if you live in california, kansas, or china for that matter. It already is in place... it is is called the WDCU. When at an event far away someone can say you are in the WDCU? do you live there? You can say no, I live in Tinbuktu but the WDCU includes me in all their votes and I can be at large out there floating.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
OK folks, I will first tell you I'm a newbie here (Newbie on the forum and total newbie about the WBCCI, but not to TT's or AS), and thinking about joining WBCCI. I'm reading all of this thread and really can't understand it because I don't know what the abreviations mean. Yes, I have done searches, but they return literally volumes of information I do not have the time to read through. These are the ones I do not know: WDCU, VAL, FCU, 4CU, IBT

Your help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote