Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I like the opportunity to be part of the legacy of the Airstream club. I think Airstreams and the club are nostalgic and cool. I like meeting other Airstreamers I would not otherwise have the opportunity to meet because they are assembled in concentration at larger rallies from all over the country. It's kind of like a blind date. The rally experience has not been fashioned by your own creation. You get surprises.

Because we travel so much we had missed the local WBCCI luncheons and many of the rallies. That was a problem for the unit and source of contention. After the attitudes encountered, quite frankly we had no desire to make those luncheons and rallies then on.

If I can't be a MAL, then I probably won't be a member any more.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
What is exactly the point of being an MAL? I do not understand, you see, I am slow. You want to belong to a club, but as an individual member, away from the group? I have been reading this discussion, over and over and over since the day I joined and still do not understand. What exactly is the benefit besides keeping this controversy going on? I must be the stupidest dog in the pack to not understand this one. Sure hope you find something that you can work with one of these days.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #17
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
... We would be interested in hearing the many reasons you have for joining this organization. Thank you.
For us, it's very, very simple: We enjoy the Airstreaming camaraderie of the other folks in our unit/intraunit! If it weren't for the Airstreams, we wouldn't belong, and if it weren't for the folks in the unit/intraunit, we won't do it.

Lynn
Old 08-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #18
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Like pilgrim, we have our AS as a way to travel this great land after retirement. We are WBCCI members as a tribute to my parents. They were long time members and were officers. We bought their last trailer and kept their numbers 6196. We are MALs because there is not much in the way of unit activity around here. The only unit to contact us is four hours away, not convenient to socializing. So...once again we will pony up the MAL dues, but I gotta tell ya, I ain't gettin that warm fuzzy WBCCI feelin.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #19
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
So how about about a MAL "unit"? Loosely organized, with a minimum amount of meetings, officers, elections and so on. Seriously.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
As a very new AS owner this year, and having been contacted by the local WBCCI club, every time I read the "goings on" of the organization, I (we) can only ask, "Why would we be interested in joining this organization?" And we can't seem to come up with an answer.
In my own opinion, there are two possible reasons to join:
1) You would like to camp a few weekends a year with people who are interesting to talk to. (This involves finding a unit with an appropriate fit of personalities. Don't let anyone fool you. IBT/International rally personalities are not necessarily the same as the individual units. Some worry about rules, others not as much. Some go to campgrounds, some inhabit more private spots like fairgrounds for the weekend.)

2) You want to do some traveling in a group. WBCCI Caravans may fit that requirement.

Possible 3rd, 4th and 5th, I'm sure, but those are the two that my bit of a brain can come up with at this hour.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_RedSHED View Post
In my own opinion, there are two possible reasons to join:.....
1) You would like to camp a few weekends a year with people who are interesting to talk to.
I agree, and we do this by attending several forum rallies each year. We have two over the next ten days, and have a great time with other airstreamers.

Steve
Old 08-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
What is exactly the point of being an MAL? I do not understand, you see, I am slow. You want to belong to a club, but as an individual member, away from the group? I have been reading this discussion, over and over and over since the day I joined and still do not understand. What exactly is the benefit besides keeping this controversy going on? I must be the stupidest dog in the pack to not understand this one. Sure hope you find something that you can work with one of these days.
Are MALs away from the group, or just away from one small local group of the very same people? I don't feel disassociated from the group but my group is at larger than the local unit and I have fun with more new friends than I could make at only local events, and still have fun with old friends and local members.

What's the point of being a MAL? I want to belong to the Wally Byam Caravan Club that is 53 years old. I have gone to three Internationals, one state rally, one IBT rally and headquarters in Ohio so far, not counting unit. I have traveled to Bozeman Montana, Perry Georgia, Salem Oregon, Sarasota Florida, and Lansing Michigan and had a great time meeting people from all over the country as a fellow Airstreamer and a member of this club. If you really want to know more about how I feel read the full page article highlighting the International rallies that I wrote entitled the Hub-bub of Airstream City on page 31 of the April 2007 Blue Beret. And the 1/2 page comment printed in the April 2007 Blue Beret page 26 in the Member Idea Share on "What Makes WBCCI Great, I will quote here for you.

"I think preserving the club's name and Airstream identity are most important to be preserved. I joined the club because it's a 50 year old club of Wally Byam and because it is an Airstream club. Those are things that make this club special and set apart from any other RV association today. Normally I would not join an RV club, but this is different and I wanted to be part of its history. In addition to the reasons already stated, for me, it is the rallies that makes the club great, in particular the larger rallies. It is an experience that could not be duplicated under any other circumstances. It is entirely unique to have the freedom to travel to nearly any place, any time, with your Airstream and know you have a spot to be and people to meet in an all Airstream community of kindred souls. It's very cool.

I like that the club is run by volunteers and the spirit of cooperation is readily apparent. I like the diversity of age and to meet members from other places. I like gathering together for coffee in the morning the few times I can make it that early. I like sitting down together for a meal. And I like the idea of having entertainment and activities available.

I think another thing that makes the club great is the scope of activity and appeal. The club can be many things to many different members and still we are one club. Whether it is going to a local unit lucheon or rally and meeting with your best friends, or voguing and tricking out the vintage units for open house, or serving as an officer, or caravanning to Alaska, it's all in the WBCCI for us to enjoy the way we choose."

Can a MAL be valuable and make contributions to the club? I think so.

With a fair amount of first hand experience and an open ear to others' experiences and proposed changes to the club I became motivated to do more in the areas of my concern. I was a team member of Save Wally at it's inception in response to the name change issue, it continued to the brand identity issue and voting procedures. I researched and gathered and helped draft and send letters and revisions. I e-mailed supporters and unit presidents, sent out packets and buttons and and traveled and worked getting information out and trying to make a difference. I have tried to learn Roberts rules and examine the constitution and by-laws as they pertain to current issues. I have read amendments and constitution replacement motions and follow club proceedings.

I was asked to be on the special committee of Communication Liason, while I was still active with the chairwoman, I did decline thinking I did not want to be in a position that might be a conflict of interest being a team member of Save Wally. However the chairwoman actually introduced me to the IBT in session as an example of a positive member that came out from Airstream Forums in her committee report.

I traveled from Michigan to Oregon to be present for the name change vote. I traveled to Georgia to attend the midwinter IBT meetings and sat attentively for days learning all I could on how the club operates and taking notes and audio so every member could have access to proceedings whether they could be present or not. And I can tell you, most members were not present. I may just have been one of the only members present that was not an officer in WBCCI.

Several of my suggestions have been implimented. The communications chairwoman and I exchanged information by request of the International President Don Shaffer for providing simulcasts in the future. I was asked by the First Lady to send in photos and to submit a proposed expense report to take pictures at the International. I also was able to carry a statement from 4CU, distribute buttons for them and call with the results of the unit charter. This time the charter motion was withdrawn and I spoke to their region president in regard to the withdrawal and conveyed that information as well. I was also able to help plan Nitestreamers for the Perry Georgia International.

Recently, the WBCCI president of Metro Detroit dedicated an entire thread in my name that was removed to tell me I was not a real Airstreamer. As a member of the unit I tried to volunteer and plan an event and received no response in regard to that, I offered pictures for the newsletter and was turned down, and I tried to stimulate interest in a mentoring program and an activation of members also without any response.

Is it really the unit that makes the member in good stead or is it the member that makes the club in good stead? Can I not make a difference as a MAL?

And Jim a MAL unit would be a good thing, seriously.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
Untiil a few weeks ago, I had no desire to own an airstream. I had never even heard of the WBCCI. But then I camped in the middle of a rally. Those guys had FUN. I decided I wanted to be a part of that. Lurking on the forum I've seen alot of politics. I'm not sure what the WBCCI can do for me, but I'll be a member because of WDCU and VAC. I've met some of the members and liked what I saw. I can't imagine any reason to be a MAL. I'll have to research to see what other membership benefits could possibly be better than hanging out with a bunch of fun people.

Mike
Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Carrol your resume is extremely impressive as is your service to the club, thank you very much what you have done. But you have not answered why you want to be a Member at Large. Why at large? what is the benefit of this... remember I am just a little slow.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Mal-forum unit anyone?

You know, I've heard many people say that the "mainstream" WBCCI members as a whole think of the airforums.com'ers as a bunch of pirates, hippies or "hummas & brie-eating, wine-tasting pinko-commies" IE: we didn't fight in WWII or Korea and might have smoked whacky-terbaccy in the 70's.

So, why not really consider forming the "MAL-FORUM" unit? Chartered, official, and lets have an online contest to see how much we can decorate (or desecrate) a blue beret. I'm thinking one with multicolor blinking fairy lights, tinsel and pink flamingo pins with a big pink bow in the back for mine. Get one or two guys to show up wearing kilts or sporting goth spiked hair and we could have a mass extinction (by spontaneous combustion) of all of the "rank and file" WBCCI members over 75...

Sorry, the devil made me think it.

I dropped out of my local unit simply because I didn't have time to participate in the activities and frankly they weren't terribly inspiring. Not awful, just not great. I've been to three or four forum rallies and visited two Airstream only parks. Found many of the "elder statesmen" WBCCI members were perfectly charming and quite welcoming, but it IS a different generation.

I do believe that lots of the "old hard line" WBCCI members do rather grudgingly accept the "new brats" (I've inspired positive love simply by acting apologetic that my Scotch is only 12 year old single malt) but there are others that are downright mean. I have literally been snubbed two or three times when I've walked up to a numbered Airstream at a campground or rest stop - for no other reason that I can figure other than the lack of red numbers on mine. I've never had anyone without WBCCI numbers do that.
  • Location of the club? Cyberspace (or Branson, MO which is the geographic center of the nation)
  • Meetings? Thursday is chat night
  • Major functions - pick 4 or 5 weekends a year and have nationwide simultaneous cyber-real rallys - think about Cracker Barrels or some other restaurant with 5 to 10 Airstreams meeting in the parking lot for a couple of hours of meet, greet, tour and eat. Then we vanish into the night.
  • qualifications for membership? Your Airstream must not have green algae from sitting behind the barn for six years.
In vino veritas. Paula:lo l:
Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
I was on the fence a long time before joining WBCCI but did so last year. I hesistated even longer putting the numbers on wondering whether we would see the club work through it's "issues" but we did finally. We've been to some Unit luncheons and haven't had the opportunity to join any of the the unit rallies because of other things that came up. Bottom line is we joined hoping to see value over time and have enjoyed the people we have met. I figured I wanted to get to met more Airstream owners and this is one way to do it.

I just checked the WBCCI website forum to see if this thread or a similar one was also on the WBCCI thread - - but wasn't. It's a shame that this feedback isn't getting to WBCCI powers to be. Or it it? Unless they monitor Airforums threads. I think it is feedback that needs to go back to the top. But who do MAL's have to give their feedback to: Is there a MAL Unit President or Regional President. Is your direct line to Headquarters in Jackson Center (WBCCI)?

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
The WBCCI IBT only cares about themselves and their friends. The MALs (10% + of the club) are absolutely meaningless to them. They would just as soon raise the MAL dues to $500 per year. The Club exists for their pleasure only.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #28
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
  • Location of the club? Cyberspace (or Branson, MO which is the geographic center of the nation)
  • Meetings? Thursday is chat night
  • Major functions - pick 4 or 5 weekends a year and have nationwide simultaneous cyber-real rallys - think about Cracker Barrels or some other restaurant with 5 to 10 Airstreams meeting in the parking lot for a couple of hours of meet, greet, tour and eat. Then we vanish into the night.
  • qualifications for membership? Your Airstream must not have green algae from sitting behind the barn for six years.
In vino veritas. Paula:lo l:
I sort of doubt that the process would permit a new unit under the conditions above; the FCU went through the process and found a number of obstacles. They overcame them all, and now they're a full-fledged unit with lots of members, many of whom with feelings similar to yours about far more traditional WBCCI units.

If there is no unit to your liking in your area, then what you may need is an "east coast FCU" (so to speak). Give it some physical geography and meet the other criteria that the club will require. And then go for it!

Lynn