Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Clubs, Organizations & Associations > WBCCI Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Results of Constitution Amendment Unknown?

I just received my August 2007 copy of the Blue Beret, turned to the "President's Corner" and in the second paragraph Jerry Collins wrote: "As of this writing, the results of the Constitution amendment to allow membership of owners of Four Winds Class A motorhomes into WBCCI are unknown." His comments continued but, IMHO, nothing else said clarified the statement in a manner you might expect.

I had hoped that, in the least, the motorhome issue would be behind us for several months - but it appears that new battle lines are already being drawn in the sand! I can't be the only one that reads it that way!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You can only hope that that article was written prior to the vote. Monthly publications sometimes have a long lead date.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Why would they print a Blue Beret and mail it now with that info in it. I thought the vote was done well over a month or two ago.

If that is true, one of two things, just late and info is out of date, or the movement to allow non-Airstream built units into the club isn't as dead as one might think.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
They could have written it:
"The amendment to allow Four Winds motorhomes came in second!"
"The amendment not to allow Four Winds motorhomes came in next to last!"

This is a more truthful statement than "unknown".
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The Blue Beret articles are written at least 6-8 weeks prior to delivery...so at the time the article was writted - the MoHo issue wasn't a done deal yet.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I agree with Shari..

Our ads have to be in 6-8 weeks before the issues actually come out...

I really think the article was written prior to the vote...

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
WBCCI voting to consider allowing membership of an SOB? So the organization is selling out (please save the rationalizations/justifications)...? Well then, I've got a buddy who owns a pop-up camper... bet he'll pay a membership fee... hummm... my cousin own's a golf cart... and a tent... not sure he can find either in his garage, though... but he's game...

WBCCI is for Airstreams, not for Thor coporate to add in everything else they own to the mix. They don't manufacter refrigerators, do they?

We've been watching this to see what happens before deciding to sign up. Bet your arse if it becomes anything else other than Airstream, we're out. And I'm sure they will be others who thinks the same. Someone please tell the junior business exec that thought this up at Thor what WBCCI is about... Be interesting to see how Thor re-writes history to include SOB's...

Maybe we at AIR need to create another club just for Airstream... If WBCCI can't keep the vision, how can they keep the membership?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It's a done deal...yesterday's news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
WBCCI voting to consider allowing membership of an SOB?
Past tense....it did not pass.

WBCCI is Airstream only.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
I just received my August 2007 copy of the Blue Beret, turned to the "President's Corner" and in the second paragraph Jerry Collins wrote: "As of this writing, the results of the Constitution amendment to allow membership of owners of Four Winds Class A motorhomes into WBCCI are unknown." His comments continued but, IMHO, nothing else said clarified the statement in a manner you might expect.
Hi Cracker:

As others have said, I'm certain Jerry's column was submitted before the MoHo vote was held. But the voting results are given in the Annual Delegates Meeting and Seminar continuation box at the bottom of the right hand column on page 12: "6,240 votes were cast. The final vote on the amendment was 2,435 Yes, 3,677 No, and 128 Abstentions. The motion failed."
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Why would they publish a Blue Beret so soon after the International?

A lot goes on at the annual meeting that it should be reported in the next issue of the BB. Publishing pre-meeting information in a newsletter that comes out after a major event just doesn't make sense.

And can make some people appear uninformed.

Delay the publication date to a reasonable time period after the meeting.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Once again, IMHO, it would appear that the outcome of the vote was clearly known at the time. Continuing with Jerry Collins comments in the "President's Corner," he said: "One critical outcome is that the members, through their delegates, made the decision, following the policies of our Constitution." I would think that the "President's Corner" is simply held open, with respect to publishing deadlines, until the latest possible moment. Note the past tense "made" in the above quote. If I'm interpreting this incorrectly I sincerely apologize - but the appearance of the final vote in the summary of the Annual Delegates Meeting and Seminar, in the August issue of the Blue Beret, raises the question.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
The Blue Beret articles are written at least 6-8 weeks prior to delivery...so at the time the article was writted - the MoHo issue wasn't a done deal yet.

Shari
Makes sense to me....glad there is no conspiracy going on. I can understand how folks feel though, it has been somewhat of a roller coaster ride (and not just with this issue) and there has been this undercurrent of bad feelings out there (and no, not just from the Twinkinator either). It doesn't take much for hairs to get raised.

Even though I'm not a member, I think the vote as it came out was the right thing and a positive thing at that too. Who knows, maybe someday you may see my alumitube at a WBCCI rally and I can serve as a rifleman on their beloved core.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
ROCHESTER , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Once again, IMHO, it would appear that the outcome of the vote was clearly known at the time. Continuing with Jerry Collins comments in the "President's Corner," he said: "One critical outcome is that the members, through their delegates, made the decision, following the policies of our Constitution." I would think that the "President's Corner" is simply held open, with respect to publishing deadlines, until the latest possible moment. Note the past tense "made" in the above quote. If I'm interpreting this incorrectly I sincerely apologize - but the appearance of the final vote in the summary of the Annual Delegates Meeting and Seminar, in the August issue of the Blue Beret, raises the question.
Cracker,
I went back and read the article and I don't read it this way at all. I think it was written before the meeting actually took place and that he is stating a fact: that regardless of the results, the outcome will be whatever the members wanted; voted through their delegates, following the policies in the Constitution. I think he then goes on to state that he hopes we as members realize that how we handle the results will determine the character of the club. Considering he had to write this before the meeting, I think he was trying to be prepared for either way the vote could have landed. Thankfully the ammendment did not pass!
Kristine
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Ammendment Failed

Ammendment failed. Thank goodness! Now we can all spend our valuable time on positive issues such as growing a club of and for Airstream owners!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Constitution Amendment Unknown?

Glad to hear the amendment failed! I didn't know that Thor also makes several other trailers. I saw it in an advertisement in Camping Worlds magazine. Was anyone else aware?

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria Pace
Glad to hear the amendment failed! I didn't know that Thor also makes several other trailers. I saw it in an advertisement in Camping Worlds magazine. Was anyone else aware?

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Thor is the largest manufacturer of towable recreational vehicles in the United States.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Gloria, I owned a Thor built Electra travel trailer before I bought my first Airstream. I bought it new and as it ended up I dumped it after 3 years of ownership since it was rapidly falling apart. While we all groan about quality control on the new Airstreams, some of the SOB stuff out there in the market is pretty poor.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Quote:

Gloria Pace
72 Sovereign
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx

... and a significant bus manufacturer as well. Among other things, they build your average rental car or hotel shuttle bus that's on a Ford E-chassis.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote