Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Research by WBCCI Number?

Is it possible to get information about this history of my Airstream through the WBCCI by the WBCCI numbers that it once wore?

I can clearly make out "3313" on the front of the trailer, where the numbers used to be.

I'm hoping to find out more about the history of this unique 2-door 1958 California Cruiser.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
The WBCCI number is attached to the Member, not the Trailer. Probably the only information you would get is the person who had that particular number, if they're allowed to give you any info at all on them.

As for the history of your Airstream, I suppose WBCCI might be able to do a search by the VIN, but all the owners who have ever owned it from the time it was built would have to have been WBCCI members in order for for your history to be complete.

You would probably have better luck looking up it's title history.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

"Keep You're Tin in the Wind"

My Photos
My MySpace!

Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I looked thru my old WBCCI Membership directories and found the #3313 to have passed thru quite a few hands over the years:

1981 - unused
1989 - Robert & Midred Binkoff - Geneva, WI
1991 & 1993 - unused
1994 & 1995- Roy & Bernice Bartel - Manhatten, KS
2001 - Kenneth & Beverly Lindholm, Olympia, WA
2004 & 2005 - Dennis & Cecelia John - Dayton, OH

Since I only have a few old membership directories, there may be that other people have also been assigned the WBCCI #3313 over the years. However, since you purchased this trailer in the NW, perhaps it was the Lindholms's that had that number on your trailer (if you think that the numbers are actually only a few years old). If the numbers look older, anything is possible, because who knows what part(s) of the USA your trailer may have resided in during it's lifetime.

Good luck in your search.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi, well since the subject has come up. I have 4503 on my Caravel. I know the other set of numbers was put on by Mary Kulish here in Oregon. Anyone know the history of #4503 ?

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:18 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
Is it possible to get information about this history of my Airstream through the WBCCI by the WBCCI numbers that it once wore?

I can clearly make out "3313" on the front of the trailer, where the numbers used to be.

I'm hoping to find out more about the history of this unique 2-door 1958 California Cruiser.
There are a few collections of the WBBCI membership book floating around. I know there is a fairly complete set at Top of Georgia that was donated by a long time WBCCI member, but you would have to take a trip down there to see them...sounds like a good idea to me My trailer has evidence of at least 2 sets of numbers, I did locate the grandson of the orginal owners, and the last owner but there were at least 1 and possibly 2 intermin owners and that was thru title search and items found in the trailer, ie; water bill stub, invoices for parts and repair work.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Hi, well since the subject has come up. I have 4503 on my Caravel. I know the other set of numbers was put on by Mary Kulish here in Oregon. Anyone know the history of #4503 ?

Chris
Currently #4503 is assigned to the Keith's in Missouri.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
When we purchased our Globe Trotter the numbers 14535 where on her. Being new into the whole scene we thought it would be cool to keep the same numbers - along the lines of keeping her original, history, nastalgia the whole nine yards. Afterall it was "just" a number.

We were lucky and found out from HO that the last time that number was registered was in 1985 - so according to WBCCI policy of lapsed renewal of 2 years - we were able to "buy the number".

Then came our 1961 Overlander - and since then we have met so many people and heard lots of neat stories behind the big red numbers and why they choose the numbers they do.

Since the Overlander had never been "numbered", "tagged" so to speak. We had the whole gama to choose from. So what numbers meant the most to us.1-9-6-1

So we called WBCCI right away - very helpful office staff and always very pleasant. The number was presently registered - but was about to lapse this past July - So we waited and was able to register and obtain the number - or should I say "buy the Number"

I don't mean to be negative - but I have a little problem with the registration system. I guess way back in the beginning - Walley would not have projected that people would own more than one trailer and the registration system assigns the number to the person.

If you are a couple then the couple gets the number - but if you have two trailers as a couple and want two different numbers - unique to each trailer - then today's logic is.......

$75.00 Membership fee and for this you get your newsletter, your privaleges and the big red numbers (two sets one for front and one for back) our ID badge and WBCCI decal.

Replacement set of numbers - $8.00 (if they are the same)

If you want different numbers they cost $75.00 and with that to the same household you get the newsletter twice, a new set of badges "double the privaleges"??? hmm don't think so.

My point to all this is most memberships we have ever belonged to - have an affiliate system or multiple membership allowances. I.e in sports you join as an athlete but you could also be an Official, Coach etc. so in that case you pay one sport fee and then subsequent progam fees.

I know the system is "old" and the concept of owning more than one trailer might not be on the top of WBCCI agenda - but it is coming - why I am sure there are many people out there that own a newer trailer and also have a vintage trailer that they are "working" on.

Then there is the structure - Units - be a member of your local Unit or be a Member-at-Large. As well there is an affiliate member - just to receive the newsletter - either internationally or (in the case of our own unit you can just pay a subscription fee- for those no longer travelling or who are thinking of getting involved but not sure)

We thought this would be the process.
Purchase the 1961 as Member-At-Large $75.00 giving us the full membership and purchase an affiliate membership $25.00 under 14535 with our local unit. As we are not using the Overlander (1961) yet.

But that is not the case - in order to have both numbers we have to buy both at $75.00 as well as pay the Unit fee. IMHO the registration system needs to grow with it's membership needs.

It is not the money!!!! it is the principal and the intention of the "Big Red Numbers" they are to identify you and your trailer.

So what are we to do - keep the 1961 and Lapse the 14535 for a year and vice versa. Systems rules that can not keep up with its membships needs usually start to fail as the members start to bend the rules to suit their needs. Hence the development of rules

For now we will pay both the full fees - and receive twice the mailings, directories - have 4 badges (just in case we miss place a set we will be okay) but we will have two different numbers.

Anyway food for thought - has anyone else wondered about how to go about getting multiple memberships for the same people but different trailers?
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
How about you pay your $75 membership fee and then you register x number of trailers within that same membership. You would have 1961A, 1961B, etc. Sure a fee should be assessed for each additional trailer registered, but not the entire $75 membership.

It would even be easier on WBCCI that way. The way they do it now, they've got a bunch of bogus or duplicate memberships out there making their member census totally wrong, not to mention the extra revenue required to send out double newsletters and such.

This way, it would also give recognition to people who own multiple trailers. Proof of ownership requirements at sign-up would alleviate multiple owners scamming in under the same membership.

Let's face it, you can only use one trailer at a time. Why should you have to pay like your using all of them?

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Well... even with multiple trailers, why would you want multiple numbers? I mean, it's the person who is the member, like Wally intended, not the trailer. I think you should just put your number on all your trailers. That allows more notoriety at events, no matter which trailer you decide to bring and places the emphasis on the person/people who are out camping, and not the vehicle, IMHO.

Hmm... On that note, I think I'm going to join the WBCCI now. And buy 3313 if I can
Old 11-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Well... even with multiple trailers, why would you want multiple numbers? I mean, it's the person who is the member, like Wally intended, not the trailer. I think you should just put your number on all your trailers. That allows more notoriety at events, no matter which trailer you decide to bring and places the emphasis on the person/people who are out camping, and not the vehicle, IMHO.

Hmm... On that note, I think I'm going to join the WBCCI now. And buy 3313 if I can
But don't you have to register the trailer you own with WBCCI? I'm not a member, but I would think you'd have to tell them what kind of trailer you have...not that they'd check or anything.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-17-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Ah yes it is the person who is the member...but it is the rig that makes the membership in a sense - without the airstream you are not entitled to a WBCCI membership. The number identifies the trailer to the Member - if the number was that important to identify the "Person" then it would be on the infamouse name tags we have to where - would it not???

I am sure the big red numbers were placed on the trailers as a way of easily itentifying the members during Caravans from the road...and during the Rallys as there was a small issue of x amount of trailers all looking pretty much alike from the outside

Why would you want multiple numbers - don't know about you but a 40 year old trailer that has had numbers on it for over 15 years - is pretty hard to disquise - without having to do a full polish. So if the numbers are in pretty good shape and you intend to become WBCCI members then getting the same number on the trailer would be nice. hmmmm 3313

And the other reason for a different number for a different trailer is explanation in itself - it is different.

Lets just say we owned a newer trailer and a vintage (instead of two vintage trailers) - we do not require a second full membership with WBCCI but we do however pay a vintage affiliate type of fee - and we then have the right to place VAC after our membership name (but I never see it in the directory). So the purpose of identifying vintage issss????

And lastly if it is the person - then why have the numbers in the first place - we have to show the name card - and as mentioned our number is not on it is it
Old 11-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetedude
But don't you have to register the trailer you own with WBCCI? I'm not a member, but I would think you'd have to tell them what kind of trailer you have...not that they'd check or anything.
You have to provide a serial number of your trailer - so that they can have it verified by Airstream Inc that it is in fact a proper number . But your model and year does not seem to be of any importance and is not published in any of the materials.

Now for those who have pre 1963 Airstream no longer has the serial number sequenses in their archives - so I am not sure how WBCCI would verify you are are in fact an airstream owner without having a picture of you with your trailer. - I found this out as we were going to need a manufacturers letter of authentication - and Airstream Inc informed us that they could only verify numbers 1963 and newer. (however they were still going to help us out if we supplied photos of the owners and a signed notary of the serial number on the plaqcard affixed to the trailer.)
Old 11-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Unfortunately, as I noted earlier, #3313 is currently assigned to someone else in WBCCI. You'll have to wait until 2 years after they release the number to get it, unless you can get them to tell the WBCCI that they will release the number to you and that they will not renew their claim to it.

I should point out that #13313 is currently unassigned and therefore available in WBCCI, should you want to just add a "1" in front of the existing numbers on your trailer.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-18-2005, 04:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson

Chris
Chris, In your case, for WBCCI #4503 I find:

1981 - Walter & Helen Boronda - Lakeside, CA
1989 & 1991 - George & Lorna Coburn - Mound City, KS
1993 - unsued
1994 & 1995 - Henry & Willia Rapp - Campbell, CA
2001 - unused
2004 & 2005 - Michael & Marianne Keith - New Florence, MO

Another "well used" number!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Chris, In your case, for WBCCI #4503 I find:

1981 - Walter & Helen Boronda - Lakeside, CA
1989 & 1991 - George & Lorna Coburn - Mound City, KS
1993 - unsued
1994 & 1995 - Henry & Willia Rapp - Campbell, CA
2001 - unused
2004 & 2005 - Michael & Marianne Keith - New Florence, MO

Another "well used" number!
So am I right about the number being attached to the member and not the trailer? If so, the above would be a history of the folks who owned the number and not a history of who owned the trailer right? Oh, my head hurts!

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ben, you are correct. The number really has gotten around and not necessarily that particular trailer unless one of the members bought a trailer that had that number on it and they renewed the number under their name. Now go take some aspirin and lie down.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Unfortunately, as I noted earlier, #3313 is currently assigned to someone else in WBCCI. You'll have to wait until 2 years after they release the number to get it, unless you can get them to tell the WBCCI that they will release the number to you and that they will not renew their claim to it.
LOL... so it sounds like right around the time I finish restoring my trailer the numbers might be available, perfect!

Also, there aren't any "existing" numbers on the trailer now. Just slightly less dirty spots in the shape of "3313". It makes me thinks those numbers were on there for a long time.

BTW, how would I go about reaching Dennis and Cecilia John in Dayton, Ohio if I wanted to ask (or bribe) them to release the numbers to me?
Old 11-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
LOL... so it sounds like right around the time I finish restoring my trailer the numbers might be available, perfect!

Also, there aren't any "existing" numbers on the trailer now. Just slightly less dirty spots in the shape of "3313". It makes me thinks those numbers were on there for a long time.

BTW, how would I go about reaching Dennis and Cecilia John in Dayton, Ohio if I wanted to ask (or bribe) them to release the numbers to me?
The way you said the numbers have been removed, probably means that they are still using them on their new Airstream. Either way, if you'd like to contact them I looked them up and they're in the phone book: PM me for details.

Go US Coast Guard!!!

My Photos
My MySpace!

Old 11-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
On our first Airstream (a 1966 Overlander if you hadn't already guessed that ) we could very clearly see the outlines of the original numbers which were on the trailer from 1966 until about 1976, under the newer numbers that had been on the trailer since 1976. Even though the trailer spent most of those first 10 years stored indoors and all of the almost thirty years afterward stored outdoors, the original number outlines were still VERY noticable and clear. It was like the clear coat under the original numbers had never aged - quite amazing actually. By the way, we know those details about that trailer because it was the one Lorrie grew up camping in before her parents sold it to neighbors, from whom we eventually got it.

Your case may be a bit different because I do not beleive 1957 Airstreams were routinely clear coated. While clear coat may have been an option in 1957, I doubt many got it. (Clear coat didn't become "standard" on Airstream until the early '60's.) I'd expect that the outlines on "aged aluminum" might not be as clear cut. I wonder how long numbers do need to be on uncoated aluminum to leave a permanent image behind.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 11-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
My 1959 book says that 3313 belonged to James and Ruth Dunn in Pasadena, Ca
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote