Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2016, 06:42 AM   #869
Rivet Master
 
tinman54's Avatar

 
1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 682
Images: 6
In 2008 when all the stars aligned our Cruiser found us. Her original club number was "20731"? I gave her my own number(anniversary date) since I finished her restoration about the same time as my wife and I's 25th anniversary now it is "51086" I would appreciate any info you might have on her past life?
Thanks Doug
__________________

__________________
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:34 PM   #870
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,827
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
In 2008 when all the stars aligned our Cruiser found us. Her original club number was "20731"? I gave her my own number(anniversary date) since I finished her restoration about the same time as my wife and I's 25th anniversary now it is "51086" I would appreciate any info you might have on her past life?
Thanks Doug
Hi Doug,
This one is a bit of a challenge because your 1954 Cruiser was built long before #20731 was first assigned by WBCCI in 1968 making it first appear the 1969 Membership Directory so that we cannot be sure when that number was actually applied to your Cruiser. Here is how #20731 had been assigned in Membership Directories over the years:
1969-70: Harry C. & Harriet Luiken, Steamboat Rock, Iowa, no caravans.
1971: Unassigned.
1972-80: R. L. Jr. & Rubye Brown, Ruston, LA, no caravans.
1981+: Unassigned (only spot checked a few directories).

So we are narrowed down to only two possibilities for you Cruiser. Since you are in Wisconsin, I would suggest that the Luikens but not the Browns likely owned your Cruiser unless you got if from far down south. Of course, these are guesses because the club does not keep records of Airstreams that were owned by members.

I would also guess that there may have been faint ghosts of a lower number below the 20731 since many if not most Airstreams joined the club in the early days and since many Airstreams have had multiple sets of numbers over the years. If the trailer has been polished, such evidence, if there was any, is likely gone now.

In any case, it seems like you have put an old Airstream back on the road. Definitely continue enjoying it!
__________________

__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #871
New Member
 
1970 27' Overlander
Marysville , Washington
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2
1970 International Overlander

Thanks for the great information. Really appreciate it.

I do have another question that maybe you can answer. Our 1970 has the AIRSTREAM name on the front but it is not in BLOCK letters but rather in CURSIVE letters. See attached pictures. Also, the band is painted blue from the mid section back only.

Can you shed any light on this style?

Thanks

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00X0X_6zZ7jdrUoiv_600x450.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	257299   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02436.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	257300  

__________________
tmitchellsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:47 AM   #872
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,827
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchellsea View Post
Thanks for the great information. Really appreciate it.

I do have another question that maybe you can answer. Our 1970 has the AIRSTREAM name on the front but it is not in BLOCK letters but rather in CURSIVE letters. See attached pictures. Also, the band is painted blue from the mid section back only.

Can you shed any light on this style?

Thanks

Tom
Hi Tom,
Both were modifications by a former owner, possibly trying to make the Aistream look newer that it really was. It happens from time to time.

The first Airstreams to use as large blue stripe like that were the top of the line Excella 500 models from 1971 thru 1979, but these ran the full length of the trailer A half length blue stripe like is simulated on your trailer was used on many Airstreams from about 1980 to about 1987 or so.

The script Airstream was used on the front and rear of Airstreams from 1985 to about 1990.
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:26 PM   #873
Rivet Master
 
tinman54's Avatar

 
1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 682
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Hi Doug,
This one is a bit of a challenge because your 1954 Cruiser was built long before #20731 was first assigned by WBCCI in 1968 making it first appear the 1969 Membership Directory so that we cannot be sure when that number was actually applied to your Cruiser. Here is how #20731 had been assigned in Membership Directories over the years:
1969-70: Harry C. & Harriet Luiken, Steamboat Rock, Iowa, no caravans.
1971: Unassigned.
1972-80: R. L. Jr. & Rubye Brown, Ruston, LA, no caravans.
1981+: Unassigned (only spot checked a few directories).

So we are narrowed down to only two possibilities for you Cruiser. Since you are in Wisconsin, I would suggest that the Luikens but not the Browns likely owned your Cruiser unless you got if from far down south. Of course, these are guesses because the club does not keep records of Airstreams that were owned by members.

I would also guess that there may have been faint ghosts of a lower number below the 20731 since many if not most Airstreams joined the club in the early days and since many Airstreams have had multiple sets of numbers over the years. If the trailer has been polished, such evidence, if there was any, is likely gone now.

In any case, it seems like you have put an old Airstream back on the road. Definitely continue enjoying it!
Thanks for the information Joe! We have had a lot of fun and met a lot of nice people in our travels! Does the serial number help to search anything, out # is 6484?
Thanks Doug
__________________
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #874
New Member
 
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Hello,

I have a 1958 Flying Cloud serial number 0-3517

The WBCCI number on the front and back is #1882 and it has a family name of Hodgman painted on the side. Do you have any information on this trailer, when it was first registered and if it went on any caravans?

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jason
__________________
griff1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #875
1 Rivet Member

 
1979 23' Safari
Clermont , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6
Numbers

I just bought a safari 1979 looks as if the numbers were 11266. I'd love some history
__________________
Djsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #876
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,827
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by griff1957 View Post
Hello,

I have a 1958 Flying Cloud serial number 0-3517

The WBCCI number on the front and back is #1882 and it has a family name of Hodgman painted on the side. Do you have any information on this trailer, when it was first registered and if it went on any caravans?

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Jason
Hi Jason,
#1882 was first assigned in 1958, so that is very appropriate for your '58 Flying Cloud. Being a lower 4-digit number, it has been reassigned several times over the years. #1882 was assigned in WBCCI Membership Directories as follows:
1958-1973: Willis & Helen Hodgman, Coldwater, MI, no caravans.
1974-75: Unassigned.
1976-77: Orland & Mary Ann Denny, Beloit, OH, no caravans.
1978-79: Unassigned.
1980-85: William & Dorothy Managan, Wheaton, IL (1980), Knoxville, TN (1985), no caravans.
1986-87: Unassigned.
1988-91: Homer H. & Jean Lutz, Oaklandon, IN (1988), Indianapolis, IN (1991), no caravans.
1992-93: Unassigned.
1994-95: Laurance & Greta Solomonson, Waterford, MI (1994), Bloomfield Hills, MI (1995), no caravans.
1996-2000+: Unassigned, but did not check much after 2000. Likely eventually reassigned again, but did not check due to privacy concerns.

This confirms the Hodgman's owned your Airstream. As for the others who were assigned #1882 over the years, since Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana are close to Michigan, it might be possible that some or all of them also owned your Flying Cloud, but I think it unlikely. Because in each case reassignment followed two years of unassignment, this suggests that #1882 was reassigned after the normal 2 year waiting period in each case and the number was just "randomly" assigned to a new member. If one of them bought your trailer and requested #1882 since it was already on the trailer, it would be a coincidence that it occurred after the 2 year waiting period. In such a case of the sale of a club member Airstream, the waiting period is often waived if the seller is not going to renew their membership in the club.

Sorry it was not on any documented caravans. Maybe take it on some of your own!
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #877
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,827
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djsbabe View Post
I just bought a safari 1979 looks as if the numbers were 11266. I'd love some history
#11266 was first assigned in 1964, well before your '79 Safari was built. #11266 was assigned in WBCCI Membership Directories as follows:
1965-80: Edward J. & Priscilla Haberman, Altadena, CA, no caravans.
1981-83: Unassigned.
1984-85: David & Diane Chambers, Owensboro, KY, no caravans.
1986-2006: Jack R. & Rose M. Fisher, Evansville, IN, no caravans.
2007+: Unassigned.

So what can we tell from this? I think it unlikely that the Haberman's updated to a new 1979 Airstream about a year before they dropped out of the club. That, and the fact that they were in California, yet you are in Michigan makes it unlikely they owned your 1979 Safari.

It seems more likely that the Chambers owned your 1979 Safari when they joined the club in 1984, but we cannot tell if they bought it new and waited 5 years to join the club, or perhaps if they bought it used in 1983 or 1984 and joined the club soon afterward. I suspect that they then sold the Safari to the Fishers, because Evansville is not too far from Owensboro, IN, and because there was no unassigned waiting period of 2 years before #11266 was reassigned.

That's all I got. Enjoy your Safari!
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #878
1 Rivet Member

 
1979 23' Safari
Clermont , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6
Sweet, I shall join and respectfully request that number!
M
__________________
Djsbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #879
New Member
 
1965 26' Overlander
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
New owner of 65 Overlander!

Does anyone know anything about 11567??
__________________
Floorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #880
New Member
 
1966 20' Globetrotter
Wolcott , Connecticut
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Hi Joe- I recently acquired a 1966 Globetrotter #21036. Can you tell me anything about my trailer and if these numbers are available? Thanks in advance for your help.
__________________
Moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #881
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,827
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorit View Post
Does anyone know anything about 11567??
I could look it up, but such lookups across 60+ years of paper Membership Directories is a time consuming activity, so I won't do it unless I know what trailer the number is on, because that might reduce thd number of directories I need to look at. I hope this makes sense. No use doing un-necessary work. I would prefer to not assume that is the number on your 1965 Airstream, but if you confirm it is, then I will take the time.
__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #882
Rivet Master
 
66Overlander's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,827
Images: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha View Post
Hi Joe- I recently acquired a 1966 Globetrotter #21036. Can you tell me anything about my trailer and if these numbers are available? Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi Moksha,
#21036 was first assigned in 1968 (and would first appear in the 1969 WBCCI Membership Directory), which means it would not have been assigned to your 1966 Globetrotter when new. It then becomes a bit of a guess when that number may have been assigned to your Airstream. Since you are in Connecticut, we can look for places where #21036 was assigned that may be near there. Let's see what the Membership Directories show for #21036:
1969-75: George A. & Evelyn Hoffman, Harrisburg, PA, caravans 81 - Western Canada Summer 1971 & 85 Yucatan Winter 1972.
1976-77: Unassigned.
1978-84: George C. & Rita Clark, Waterbury, CT, no caravans.
1985+: Unassigned. (spot checked several, but not all directories)

So what can we tell from this? Almost assuredly, at least one of these two couples owned your Globetrotter. But overall, it seems unlikely (but not impossible) to me that both couples owned it, because the two unassigned years between these two couples typically indicate the two year waiting period before an unused number was randomly reassigned to a new member. This means it may come down to where you bought it to determine who most likely previously owned it:

If you bought it in Connecticut, most likely that the Clarks owned it.

On the other hand, if you bought it in Pennsylvania, most likely the Hoffmans owned it and probably took it on their two caravans.

That's all I got. Enjoy that Globetrotter. Our first Airstream was a 1966 model. That is a great year (but then aren't they all?).
__________________

__________________
Joe
Wally Byam Caravan Club International Historian
Vintage Airstream Club Historian
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wbcci, wbcci number


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WBCCI Membership for free thenewkid64 WBCCI Forum 17 05-01-2011 11:17 PM
WBCCI and local Units Stougard WBCCI Forum 54 02-28-2006 09:46 AM
WBCCI family/children/pet friendly? ViewRVs WBCCI Forum 66 01-08-2006 08:34 PM
WBCCI Survey smily WBCCI Forum 33 11-13-2005 10:08 AM
Membership in WBCCI winner General Motorhome Topics 5 01-08-2003 11:21 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.