Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #491
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
1967 with two #'s

This thread is great! I am hoping someone will have some input on our trailer's numbers. We have a 1967 Sovereign that has two numbers on it, the more recent number is 13552 and the ghosted number underneath is 17480. The trailer has what appears to be an original dealer tag from Trailerama of Sparta, Wisconsin.
I have done some research on Sparta and while I couldn't find reference to the Trailerama I did find some interesting coincidences. Sparta is known as the bicycling capital of America and its distinguishing landmark is a giant bicycler. See the pics - any resemblance to the AS logo?

One of Sparta's more notable citizens was
  • Donald Kent "Deke" Slayton; selected as one of the first Mercury Seven Astronauts. Deke's career with NASA spanned from 1959 - 1982.
Hmm, astronauts like airstreams - maybe we have a space trailer.
Of course we might also have just your average joe well-loved, well-traveled airstream that somehow made it from Sparta, Wisconsin to lower Alabama. Either way it would be really neat to know.
So if anyone knows anything about the former owners I would appreciate the input.
Thanks so much,

Melissa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250px-SpartaBigBike.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	178793  
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #492
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
What about the number 2653 and the assignment from anywhere between 2006 and 2011? Those numbers are on my unit.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #493

1996 25' Excella
Sacramento , California
I have just stared with my air sterm forums and was wounding about the numbers on the front and back my unit had a number on it be for it is 1570 can any one help me find out if i can use it
Old 02-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #494
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Infro on currently available numbers

The person that keeps track of numbers currently available is Deb Mann, Membership Director. Email her at dmann@wbcci.org or you could call her at

937-596-5211 eastern standard time.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #495
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Adrian , Michigan
joe, any info on wbcci #2674, 1956 bubble. has pikes peak airstream club decal front and back.
thanks, LEW
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #496
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
3 Digit Number on Rear of Trailer??

Hi, Everyone

My 1957 Overlander has a ghost number on the back only (not front), it is very faint. I just discovered it today. I'm home from work sick, and found myself looking longingly out the window, wishing I felt well enough to get some work done on her. As I stood there looking at her, I saw the number! I've attached a photo, but it may be too faint to see. Anyway, the number is either 326 or 826, I don't see any other digits. Is this a WBCCI number?! Thanks!

Name:	DSC02723.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	180279
Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #497
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Looked again and had my husband look for good measure: the number is 326. Any info, historians? Thanks for your help!
Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #498
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Wbcc #326

WBCC #326 was registered to Dave H. & Anna Mae Jones, Box 219, Walteria, California.
They were on Caravan #5 to Mexico, West Coast - Winter 1955

WBCC #826 was not listed in the 1957 Directory.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #499
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Mike, Thank you so much for looking that up for me! Perhaps they bought the Overlander after the trailer they used for the Caravan? I'm puzzled that a CA couple purchased an Ohio trailer (if that's what happened) but it's intriguing. Oh, if only my trailer could talk to me!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #500
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum75 View Post
Looked again and had my husband look for good measure: the number is 326. Any info, historians? Thanks for your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Master View Post
WBCC #326 was registered to Dave H. & Anna Mae Jones, Box 219, Walteria, California.
They were on Caravan #5 to Mexico, West Coast - Winter 1955

WBCC #826 was not listed in the 1957 Directory.
I agree that the number is clearly 326 from the photo. But that makes this one a toughie. As Grand Master noted, this number was assigned to Dave and Anna Mae Jones of Walteria, CA in the 1955 thru 1958 Membership Directories, but only the Winter 1955 Caravan #5. The issue here is that a 1957 Overlander could not have been used on a Winter 1955 Caravan that would have been run in Jan-Fed 1955. That means that if the Overlander belonged to the Jones', they upgraded to it some time after that caravan and then left the club at the end of 1958.

Another possibility is that this number was applied to the Overlander by a later owner. #326 was unassigned in the 1959 and 1960 Directories, but was then reassigned in the 1962 Directory (there was no 1961 Directory) to David and Jean Varran of Pontiac, Michigan. #326 was last assigned to the Varran's in the 1979 Directory, at which time they were in Ellerton, FL and were credited with the following caravans:
  • 59 - Maritime Province Eastern Canada Summer 1968
  • 66 - Western Mexico Summer 1969
  • N4 - Post International Rally Caravans 1975
  • N5 - Post International Rally Caravans 1976
After 1979, #326 was reserved for usage by club officers, so I beleive that either the Jones' or the Varrans owned the Overlander, but unless there is supporting evidence that confirms a prior owner name or caravan participation, we are left to speculate which couple owned this Airstream. Given the distance between them, I think it unlikely that both couples owned the Overlander. If the Varrans owned the Overlander, it could have been for their entire time in the club, or only for a portion of their time in the club, so it may or may not have participated on the noted caravans.

One other consideration is whether the Overlander was built in California or Ohio. A California built Overlander would tend to suggest the Jones' most likely owned it, but an Ohio built Overlander would tend to suggest the Varrans most likely owned it. Since you have stated that it is an Ohio Overlander, I tend to lean toward the Varran's owning it and it somehow moving to California in the years after they owned it. That said, because there were differences between California and Ohio Airstreams back then, it is also possible that the Jones' originally purchased an Ohio Airstream because they preferred it or maybe because they could just get it quicker if the California plant was backed up. Or maybe they traded to it during a trip to the eastern US when they were closer to the Ohio factory. We may never know the answer.

That's all I got.

In any case, enjoy your Vintage Airstream!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #501
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
joe, any info on wbcci #2674, 1956 bubble. has pikes peak airstream club decal front and back.
thanks, LEW
#2674 was first assigned by the club in 1959, at which time it was assigned to Willard and Josephine Davis or Colorado Springs, CO. The Davis' are listed for this number thru the 1963 Directory, but without any noted caravans. In the 1964 Directory, #2674 has been reassigned to another couple from Minnesota. It seems likely that the Jones' owned your 1956 Bubble. Enjoy it!
WBCCI/VAC #6768

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #502
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My '63 Overlander was purchased new from the dealer in Mesa Az. and was built in Ohio.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #503
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
San Pedro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I agree that the number is clearly 326 from the photo. But that makes this one a toughie. As Grand Master noted, this number was assigned to Dave and Anna Mae Jones of Walteria, CA in the 1955 thru 1958 Membership Directories, but only the Winter 1955 Caravan #5. The issue here is that a 1957 Overlander could not have been used on a Winter 1955 Caravan that would have been run in Jan-Fed 1955. That means that if the Overlander belonged to the Jones', they upgraded to it some time after that caravan and then left the club at the end of 1958.

Another possibility is that this number was applied to the Overlander by a later owner. #326 was unassigned in the 1959 and 1960 Directories, but was then reassigned in the 1962 Directory (there was no 1961 Directory) to David and Jean Varran of Pontiac, Michigan. #326 was last assigned to the Varran's in the 1979 Directory, at which time they were in Ellerton, FL and were credited with the following caravans:
  • 59 - Maritime Province Eastern Canada Summer 1968
  • 66 - Western Mexico Summer 1969
  • N4 - Post International Rally Caravans 1975
  • N5 - Post International Rally Caravans 1976
After 1979, #326 was reserved for usage by club officers, so I beleive that either the Jones' or the Varrans owned the Overlander, but unless there is supporting evidence that confirms a prior owner name or caravan participation, we are left to speculate which couple owned this Airstream. Given the distance between them, I think it unlikely that both couples owned the Overlander. If the Varrans owned the Overlander, it could have been for their entire time in the club, or only for a portion of their time in the club, so it may or may not have participated on the noted caravans.

One other consideration is whether the Overlander was built in California or Ohio. A California built Overlander would tend to suggest the Jones' most likely owned it, but an Ohio built Overlander would tend to suggest the Varrans most likely owned it. Since you have stated that it is an Ohio Overlander, I tend to lean toward the Varran's owning it and it somehow moving to California in the years after they owned it. That said, because there were differences between California and Ohio Airstreams back then, it is also possible that the Jones' originally purchased an Ohio Airstream because they preferred it or maybe because they could just get it quicker if the California plant was backed up. Or maybe they traded to it during a trip to the eastern US when they were closer to the Ohio factory. We may never know the answer.

That's all I got.

In any case, enjoy your Vintage Airstream!
Thank you, Joe! I agree with you that the Varran's must have owned my Airstream- there is the ghost of a sticker on the front from a trailer dealer in Pontiac, Michigan (incidentally this appears to be just a few hours from the factory in Jackson Center, I wonder if it was a large dealer at the time?). Somehow the trailer ended up in Montana, that's where she was when I bought her.

I do wonder if she was on any of the caravans you mentioned with the Varran's? I guess we'll never know. Thank you sincerely for this great work you do! I love learning more of the history (even possible history!) of my trailer!

Name:	DSC02529.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	180346
Old 03-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #504
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum75 View Post
Thank you, Joe! I agree with you that the Varran's must have owned my Airstream- there is the ghost of a sticker on the front from a trailer dealer in Pontiac, Michigan (incidentally this appears to be just a few hours from the factory in Jackson Center, I wonder if it was a large dealer at the time?). Somehow the trailer ended up in Montana, that's where she was when I bought her.

I do wonder if she was on any of the caravans you mentioned with the Varran's? I guess we'll never know. Thank you sincerely for this great work you do! I love learning more of the history (even possible history!) of my trailer!

I would say your Overlander definitely was owned by the Varran's because of the Pontiac, MI dealer sticker. We just don't know whether they bought it new in 1957, or perhaps used in about 1961 (so that they first appear in the 1962 membership Directory).

Interestingly, our first Airstream, a 1966 Overlander, had the same sticker because Warner Trailer Sales is where it was originally sold! I do not know how big they were or when they went out of business, but I have driven by the location that they used to be many times. I know the location because the original owner of our first Airstream was Lorrie's parents and they pointed out the location to us. Lorrie's parents were good friends with Cal Warner that owned the Airstream dealership.

WBCCI/VAC #6768

Tags
wbcci, wbcci number